• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for volunteer hospitaleros for Alpriate

peregrina2000

Staff member
The Via Lusitana is looking for volunteer hospitaleros for 2017. Last year, the work was done mostly by the Via Lusitana members, but that spreads them very thin. They did have a South African or two, I think, as well as some Spaniards.

If anyone is interested in being a hospitalero/a there this year, between March and October, let me know. Or you can contact the Via Lusitana directly, either through their facebook page or their website.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many of you know that the albergue opened near Lisbon in 2016 is a donativo. The Via Lusitana is looking for volunteer hospitaleros for 2017. Last year, the work was done mostly by the Via Lusitana members, but that spreads them very thin. They did have a South African or two, I think, as well as some Spaniards.

If anyone is interested in being a hospitalero/a there this year, between March and October, let me know. Or you can contact the Via Lusitana directly, either through their facebook page or their website.

If you can provide direct contact information, and exact location of the place in a thumbnail kind of announcement, I can post it on some hospi. sites. Does the volunteer need to speak Portuguese? Any cooking involved?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have heard from Jose Luis and have more specific information. BTW, I was wrong in saying it's a donativo albergue, they do charge 8 euros because they had some problems with non-pilgrims coming to stay for free. Here is the more specific information. (Reb, Jose told me he contacted you, but you can use this or some other version of this information for your postings, muito obrigada!)

Hospitaleros needed for the 2017 season for the Alpriate Albergue. One or two week commitment, Monday to Monday.

The Alpriate Albergue, opened in 2016, is 22 km from the Lisbon Cathedral, on the Caminho Portugues. Location: https://goo.gl/maps/hVCoa6FkGUH2

The albergue has 10 beds for pilgrims (8 upstairs in two rooms, two beds downstairs), and a room with two beds for the hospitaleros. Only one hospitalero at a time, unless you are a couple or come with a friend.

One shower.

Charge is 8 euros per day.

Daily clean-up is responsibility of hospitaleros; paid cleaning staff twice a week for a deeper cleaning.

English mandatory, Portuguese optional. Spanish, German, French, or Italian would be a plus.

Hospitaleros are not expected to cook, though there is a kitchen for everyone to use.

2 bar/restaurantes near, supermarket is 500 m away. Bread truck comes daily .

Free wifi for hospitaleros in albergue; pilgrims use the free wifi at the bar/cafe.

Via Lusitana volunteers will transport the hospitaleros from Lisbon to Alpriate at the beginning and return them to Lisbon at the end of the stay.

Hospitaleros may be able to arrange a few trips into Lisbon by coordinating with Via Lusitana volunteers. Albergue opens at 2.

Phone for hospitaleros' use at the Albergue in case of problems or emergencies. Via Lusitana members are always 30 minutes away.

voluntarios@vialusitana.org (preferred) or
jose.reis.sanches@gmail.com

This sounds very interesting to us. We have not walked that way. We are taking hospitalero training in March with the American Pilgrims on the Camino. We will probably walk the EPW but are looking at options to be in Europe longer. This could be something we could do the week before the walk so we will begin to look into how that would all work out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've sent an email asking for a week in July. Jose replied that they have that summer covered, but need help in August and September. I am waiting a reply to see what weeks in August are open. We want to arrange that and then plan a walk either before of after helping.

I've sent an email asking for a week in July. Jose replied that they have that summer covered, but need help in August and September. I am waiting a reply to see what weeks in August are open. We want to arrange that and then plan a walk either before of after helping.

Hi edandjoan,
I hope you manage to get a stint in Alpriate. It is a little village with very little going on, but the people are extremely nice, the albergue is totally manageable, and you will be close to Lisbon. I am glad to hear that their weeks are filling up, though -- last year I think there were only 3-4 volunteers with the bulk of the work being done by a couple stalwart supporters who drove out and back to Lisbon most days. Keep us posted! Laurie

We will not be helping at Alpriate this year. Jose has had some organizational issues and our schedules did not work out in the end. I did ask that he contact us early next year as we would still like to volunteer. We have not walked in Portugal and would also like to do that. Our schedule will be more flexible next year as one our son's is getting married in May and the other in September.
This year we are walking the EPW in-between the two weddings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back