• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for walking boot/shoe recommendations

jpes

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to
Firstly my insurance covers one pair of orthopaedic footwear a year. And the store I use will add pads and make adjustments as needed. I have a pair of Ecco BIOM (low and with Goretex) which I really like but have had for a number of years now. That store stopped carrying Ecco and I'm not sure if my current store will carry that brand (smaller Canadian city market so some brands are store specific) These are what I would take on vacation particularly if hiking involved. Though I would often rotate in days with a pair of running shoes. I also have a newer pair of NB WW1400 which is a boot. I often wear as a winter boot , though apparently it is a walking/trail shoe. The store also has the lower cut version but I'm not sure that is what I want. For running shoes I use NB 1080. Looking for some advice on what I should be looking at and also do people stick with one pair of footwear for the walk (other than shower flipflops). We are travelling to Vegas this month so I could also look at bigger stores or outlets too (though not on insurance and would not get same service). Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unless you are walking in winter, the majority of people appear to be heading towards trail runners. Non-gortex. The runningroom has a slightly different variety of shoes than MEC, and I've had good luck with them.

I suggest do a search for shoe advice posted previously by @davebugg, our resident gear expert. He details footwear facts.

Trail runners are what I wear every Camino.
I'm partial to New Balance as they have worked great for me.
They are comfortable, have a deep toe-box, wide for my wide feet, and except for maybe twice in all these years, have never given me blisters. I love them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m finishing the Camino de Invierno tomorrow and I’m grateful that I wore my tried and true Vasque St. Elias Goretex backpacking boots. Lightest on the market. My feet have have had no plantar fasciitis issues or blisters. No wet feet. The rocky terrain would have killed my feet if I’d worn trail runners.
I made the mistake of wearing Merrill hiking shoes on the Primitivo and walked in pain for almost all of it (plantar fasciitis and tendinitis).
Everyone is different.

Trail runners are what I wear every Camino.
I'm partial to New Balance as they have worked great for me.
They are comfortable, have a deep toe-box, wide for my wide feet, and except for maybe twice in all these years, have never given me blisters. I love them.
Do you know which New Balance you have? I would be going in spring/summer (not this year) but if I get trail runners I would probably use for winter trail running (with crampons) here prior to that.

Every year I get a different pair. I go to the New Balance store and see what's new for the year. I have wide feet so I ask to see shoes on an SL-2 shoe last. That has a wide front, narrow heel, and deep toe box.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
. Looking for some advice on what I should be looking at and also do people stick with one pair of footwear for the walk (other than shower flipflops).
Yes I stick to one pair of shoes but also take walking sandals (instead of shower flipflops). That said, flipflops work for lots of people including my camino walking mate....
My preference now is for Hoka One One - I am only telling you because I first heard them mentioned on this forum and gave them a try. I have had loads of other walking shoes (salomon, meindl... I forget the others). The Hokas are very light and suited my feet....
Shoes preferences are a very difficult subject...
Good luck in your search :)

I only take one pair of footwear..no sandals or flip flops. I wear Zamberlan leather boots made in Italy, a new pair every year. They are very comfortable and durable. I walked from Canterbury to Rome and there is easily enough wear in them to do the whole route again

There is really little hiking boot or shoe advice that is useful. If you want the probability of no foot problems you have to bring footware and socks that have worked for you before on extended multi-day hiking or trekking trips. If what works for you is boots bring boots. If what works for you is trail shoes bring trail shoes. If what works for you is gum boots bring gum boots. Bring socks that you know work. If you have no extended trip hiking experience then it is really a crap shoot. Advice from others may be somewhat useful. A good fitter at an outdoor gear retailer will certainly help. Do the best job you can selecting footwear. Break them in to the extent possible with hiking on varied terrain. Be aware that training hikes do not duplicate the real demands of multi day hiking. Be alert, continuously monitor you foot condition and be ready to respond to problems as they arise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is really little hiking boot or shoe advice that is useful. If you want the probability of no foot problems you have to bring footware and socks that have worked for you before on extended multi-day hiking or trekking trips. If what works for you is boots bring boots. If what works for you is trail shoes bring trail shoes. If what works for you is gum boots bring gum boots. Bring socks that you know work. If you have no extended trip hiking experience then it is really a crap shoot. Advice from others may be somewhat useful. A good fitter at an outdoor gear retailer will certainly help. Do the best job you can selecting footwear. Break them in to the extent possible with hiking on varied terrain. Be aware that training hikes do not duplicate the real demands of multi day hiking. Be alert, continuously monitor you foot condition and be ready to respond to problems as they arise.
That may be correct if I was asking what shoes boots to buy that I plant to use in 2 months. But I am probably looking at 2 years so enough time to try out and figure out what will work ahead of time. As I don't know what will work for me on an extended multi day hiking I need suggestions for what to look for and then work with the shoe store to see what options work for my feet. And then use them for as much time and conditions as I can and hopefully at that point know if I have made a good decision before I head out on a camino. My daughter on the other hand has more experience but with army cadets, so she is used to hiking boots.

Hey there :)
Every pilgrim and every person of course has different preferences regarding shoes.. my advice to try out: trail runners like others said before. They are light (which is what you want when walking such a long distance) yet stable enough to support your foot. I personally also found it helpful to have some kind of ankle support especially in the mountains, thus try out mid/high trail runners. I went with Keen Terradora Leather Mid WP, was the best choice ever.
Regarding a second pair of shoes: Just the hiking shoes for walking and then I brought light sandals for walking around the town/in the albergue. The less weight the better :) Happy planning!

I had tremendous luck with Xero shoes on the Camino. If you go this way give your body time to get used to them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked previous caminos in Merrell Moabs and was happy with them. But after reading posts on this forum I got curious about Hoka One Ones so I tried them. They are what I expect to wear on my next Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.