• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

looking for walking companions Leon to Santiago de Compostela

Maria Gil

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago de Compostela
Hi there,

this is my first camino walk and I am very excited and nervous. I start my journey on May 28th from Leon to Santiago de Compostela and hoping to catch up with some fellow pilgrims and walk the journey together.
I fly out of San Francisco to Madrid and plan to take the train to Leon. I arrive in Leon on May 27th and hope to begin the walk on the 28th.

looking forward to meeting some wonderful people along the way

Buen Camino

Maria Gil

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,

this is my first camino walk and I am very excited and nervous. I start my journey on May 28th from Leon to Santiago de Compostela and hoping to catch up with some fellow pilgrims and walk the journey together.
I fly out of San Francisco to Madrid and plan to take the train to Leon. I arrive in Leon on May 27th and hope to begin the walk on the 28th.

Buen Camino

Maria Gil

Hi Maria. And welcome. You are going to have such a fantastic time :)

I think this is a common concern for many first time Pilgrims. Wanting to 'arrange' to meet people on Day 1 and then hoping to walk into the 'unknown' together for mutual support.

I have only walked the Frances. In May 2015. But in reality you need not worry about pre-arranging walking partners. You will have more than you need!

I will bet you within the first hour you have made some new friends! Probably even the night before you start walking!

The reality is:

• That you are walking the most popular route.
  • At a popular time of year.
  • Other Pilgrims 'stand out' like a sore thumb. You will see them everywhere, in the cafes, your lodgings. So it is easy to 'fall in' with others along the way.
  • There will probably be 'hundreds' of people departing Leon on the same day as you. Coming from lodgings all over the city at various times of the day to set out along the same path.

It's rather like some kind of gigantic School Outing! Hundreds of Pilgrims heading down the 'yellow brick road' together. You honestly can't get lost. Unless you try really hard! Just follow those in front. And you'll get used to scanning around for the shells and yellow arrows to follow. There are lots of them.

Set out with a smile and an open heart, and you will meet some amazing people. No need to plan :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Late May walking out of Leon? Oh, yeah. You will meet beaucoup pilgrims. Don't forget to obtain a pilgrim's passport before you arrive there, or while you are there.
cheers and ultreia

Hi there,

Buen Camino

Maria Gil
Hey Maria,
Did my first camino 2006. every step from St Jean in France to Santiago in 4 weeks. My advice is to do it alone.You will meet more wonderful people that way. Still have close friends from Germany and Spain I met the first time. If you have everything on your back ( not too heavy ) the only thing that matters is: sleep when tired, eat when hungry and drink a lot of water. Detailed plans and schedule is just a stress factor. Use Albergues when available. They tend to fill up early on that route. First day out from Leon is not that exiting, but the rest through North West Spain is fantastic. I am planning Camino Portuguese in May ( alone) Can recommend the guide book by John Brierley.
Buen Camino !

Last edited:
Maria, You will have a great time, meet many pilgrims and have a really wonderful experience. Buen Camino :) Caesar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,

Buen Camino

Maria Gil
Hi Maria,you will meet plenty of pilgrims and sometimes mabe more than you want.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

My husband and I started in Leon when we walked a couple years ago - we made friends with fellow pilgrims before we had even left Leon. We arrived in Leon in the afternoon, got to our lodging, and went to a bar with an outside terrace to get a beer, watch the world go by, and figure out where to go for dinner. There was a group of pilgrims at the next table, so we introduced ourselves, hung out a bit with them, and soon had an invitation to join them for dinner that night. We walked with some of those people off and on the rest of the time, along with other people we met at various places along the way.

Welcome Maria, you will meet many pilgrims leaving Leon in late May and if you spend your first night in an albergue you can check if you can walk with someone until you find your own rhythm.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Hi Wayfarer

Thank you for your recommendation, I look forward to meeting and making new friends

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I started in Leon when we walked a couple years ago - we made friends with fellow pilgrims before we had even left Leon. We arrived in Leon in the afternoon, got to our lodging, and went to a bar with an outside terrace to get a beer, watch the world go by, and figure out where to go for dinner. There was a group of pilgrims at the next table, so we introduced ourselves, hung out a bit with them, and soon had an invitation to join them for dinner that night. We walked with some of those people off and on the rest of the time, along with other people we met at various places along the way.
Hi there
I am looking forward to making new friends along the way
Thanks for sharing your experience

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Maria,
Did my first camino 2006. every step from St Jean in France to Santiago in 4 weeks. My advice is to do it alone.You will meet more wonderful people that way. Still have close friends from Germany and Spain I met the first time. If you have everything on your back ( not too heavy ) the only thing that matters is: sleep when tired, eat when hungry and drink a lot of water. Detailed plans and schedule is just a stress factor. Use Albergues when available. They tend to fill up early on that route. First day out from Leon is not that exiting, but the rest through North West Spain is fantastic. I am planning Camino Portuguese in May ( alone) Can recommend the guide book by John Brierley.
Buen Camino !
Hi there, thank you for sharing the good advice, I am hoping to meet and make new friends along the way. I purchased John Brierley's book a few months ago and have been reading it.
I look forward to my walk
Take care

Late May walking out of Leon? Oh, yeah. You will meet beaucoup pilgrims. Don't forget to obtain a pilgrim's passport before you arrive there, or while you are there.
cheers and ultreia
Hi mark, great advice will do that, thank you can't wait to start my walk

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Maria. And welcome. You are going to have such a fantastic time :)

I think this is a common concern for many first time Pilgrims. Wanting to 'arrange' to meet people on Day 1 and then hoping to walk into the 'unknown' together for mutual support.

I have only walked the Frances. In May 2015. But in reality you need not worry about pre-arranging walking partners. You will have more than you need!

I will bet you within the first hour you have made some new friends! Probably even the night before you start walking!

The reality is:

• That you are walking the most popular route.
  • At a popular time of year.
  • Other Pilgrims 'stand out' like a sore thumb. You will see them everywhere, in the cafes, your lodgings. So it is easy to 'fall in' with others along the way.
  • There will probably be 'hundreds' of people departing Leon on the same day as you. Coming from lodgings all over the city at various times of the day to set out along the same path.

It's rather like some kind of gigantic School Outing! Hundreds of Pilgrims heading down the 'yellow brick road' together. You honestly can't get lost. Unless you try really hard! Just follow those in front. And you'll get used to scanning around for the shells and yellow arrows to follow. There are lots of them.

Set out with a smile and an open heart, and you will meet some amazing people. No need to plan :)
Hi Robo, thank you for the comforting words, as you can tell I am a little nervous about beginning this journey on my own so it's nice to hear from fellow pilgrims by that I will have plenty of coming along the way. My other concern since I have a bad sense of direction is it really well marked along the way?
Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Robo, thank you for the comforting words, as you can tell I am a little nervous about beginning this journey on my own so it's nice to hear from fellow pilgrims by that I will have plenty of coming along the way. My other concern since I have a bad sense of direction is it really well marked along the way?
Thank you

You cannot believe how well marked it is! :) You will get very good at spotting the yellow arrows at junctions and along the way.

If you come to a junction and don't see an arrow. Stop :eek: And look around for the arrows. They WILL be there. Normally they are obvious. On the road, on a tree trunk, on a fence post, on a building, on a kerbstone. And the shells are often seen in towns set into the sidewalk.

If there are a horde of Pilgrims heading down a road/path, you can be 99% sure that it's the right way. Though I did follow a couple of Korean girls up a hillside for a few hundred metres once, along with 12 other Pilgrims. We were all too busy chatting.......... When they got out their guidebook, we all stopped for a huddle. I suggested the two girls buy the coffees at the next stop ;)

You have to try real hard to get lost! It's a bit like following the blue line for the Marathon at the Olympics ;)

Whilst some sections are along the side of roads, much of the CF is along the 'Camino footpaths'. You kind of 'know' you are heading in the right direction anyway.......

Oh yeah, it is well marked. Don't worry about that. We had a guidebook with maps, but rarely used it for actual navigating - more for just having an idea of what was coming up - about how far apart the towns were, would there be hills or mountains, etc. The most difficult part of navigation is through cities since you have so many things competing for your attention, it is easier to miss the arrows. Chances are there will be other pilgrims walking too, so you can follow them - and you can always ask local people if you are unsure - everybody who lives or works near the Camino knows where it is. Sometimes you don't even have to ask - someone sees a person with a backpack who looks a bit perplexed and they know what you are looking for.

Thank you Caesar
Maria, you're welcome. You won't just make FRIENDS... you'd make friends for a life time. Buen Camino :) Caesar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back