• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for walking companions, SJPP 1 May 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016,
Chemin du Puy, Camino de Fisterrais 2018
Hi, I'm starting from SJPP on 1 May. My first Camino, in my 60's, (better late than never), so really excited but also nervous. Only walking to Orisson first day.
Anyone out there happy to have a walking companion for the first leg? Have put the call out before but no luck.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tinta,

At that time of year, you will not be alone. There will be many pilgrims leaving SJPdP and you will get to know them at the first communal dinner at Orisson.

You may not have had a response previously because many people plan to walk alone but are happy to make friends along the way.

buen camino

Hello Tinta!
I will be starting out 3 days before you, also going as far as Orrison the first day.
My first Camino and will be turning 60 in June, so you will be in good company!
I plan to start out slowly so you may very well catch up with me. I'll keep an eye out for you!
Buen Camino
Merni

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm leaving a few days before you as well and stopping in Orrison on the first day. It is my first camino - the big 5-0. Merni - I may just see you on the way!
Buen Camino!
Margie

Hi, I'm starting from SJPP on 1 May.

You may not have had a response previously because many people plan to walk alone but are happy to make friends along the way.

Hi, @tinta. I leave Le Puy very early April and expect to be at SJPdP late April/early May. And then to stop at Logrono to do some side trips for a few days.

I wont hold a glass of cranberry juice (of course) to my lips and I might stumble and my floppy hat will cover my blonde (as they were once) locks but my distinguished trimmed set will be a dead give away should we encounter one another before Santiago.

Buen camino. Kia kaha.

Hi, I'm starting from SJPP on 1 May. My first Camino, in my 60's, (better late than never), so really excited but also nervous. Only walking to Orisson first day.
Anyone out there happy to have a walking companion for the first leg? Have put the call out before but no luck.
Hi Tinta and welcome to the forum...I started out with 23 Pilgrims from St Jean Pied deport in Sept ( also to celebrate a birthday in Santiago). Although my plan was to walk alone, I had the good fortune of walking with a few others to Orisson. Same thing leaving Orisson. Eventually I made my own way, but always knew fellow pilgrims were not far off. You'll be fine. Wish you Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone is right, you'll have no problem meeting other pilgrims on your first stage to Orrison, they'll lots going your way.
Also when you leave Orrison for Roncesvalles the next day you won't be alone. The evening meal in Morrison is a good place to meet walking companions.

Buen Camino

A large part of the Camino experience is meeting and walking with people along the way. Certainly on the Frances at that time of year.

You would have to try hard to avoid it! Very hard ;)

You WILL meet great people on day 1. I met great people at dinner the night before I started out from St Jean. And also walking that first day. Many of them I spent time with over the next 40 days...

Some people refer to walking the Camino as 'speed dating' on steroids. And it kind of is..... Though you are meeting great friends rather than seeking a 'life partner'. :) Though some seem to do that too :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From my earlier post……."I started out with 23 Pilgrims from StJPdP in Sept". I should have clarified this a bit. There were 23 guests at the Beilari Pension in St. Jean where I stayed. We were all part of a communal Pilgrim dinner and by the end of evening, we mostly were all on a first name basis. Even though I had chosen to walk alone, I did end up walking with a small group from St. Jean, then later with one woman for a day and eventually on my own. It continued pretty much in the same pattern; mostly on my own (by choice) but very often with others here and there. Loved it all!! Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My wife and I started out two years ago in StJPdP, walking to Pamplona, as it was just the start of dipping our toes in the Camino water. We walked to Orisson on the first day. We met people there that we then shared the rest of our short trip with, sometimes walking with, most often meeting at our destination and sharing meals and evenings together.
We reflected that Orisson has two thing going for it that encouraged that companionship (although the same is probably true of many other places):
  1. The choice of destination for the first day is either Roncesvalles or Orisson (mostly). We didn't want to start with such a hard day to Roncesvalles on our first day, so we opted for Orisson. I think we found people who also shared our pace of walking and destinations, and thus kept meeting them.
  2. Because the walk to Orisson is short, we had lots of time to chat with people. The communal dinner in the evening is also a great way to get to know people, and they ask people to stand up and introduce themselves and where they are from.
I think it was only on the 3rd day that we found ourselves realizing that we were becoming friends, which we hadn't really believed would happen in a short week. That was also the day that we found ourselves slowing our pace so we could walk with our Camino friends.

Take courage. You won't be alone, you will meet people and you may even find people that walk alongside you for part of the way.

We go back to Pamplona on May 26th to continue the next leg. Very excited.

Tinta! Hi :)

Consider adding your name to the 2016 April/May/June list (link below) . Great opportunity to meet fellow Pilgrims before arriving

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/may-june-2016-peregrinos-camino-frances.36410/

Buen Camino!
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back