• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for Wikilocs routes/codes for the Norte (plus any other advice)

Tom Morley

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on the Camino Del Norte in 2018
I'm preparing to walk the Norte next summer - July and into August - and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. I've recently downloaded Wikilocs and am trying to filter the routes. Has anyone already done this? I'm also wondering about how far in advance I should be starting to try and book any of the Alburgues etc, or if that is even really a necessity. Other thoughts and advice are gratefully accepted.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Tom, wishing you well with your planning.

I've walked some of the Norte - from Irun to Llanes and found it to be well enough marked most of the time. I don't think you'll need GPS tracks, unless you plan to take some of the (wonderful) coastal and other alternatives. If so, have a look at @peregrina2000's excellent thread on that topic, as well as this one about the coastal route from Santander to Boo.

It's probably a bit early to make bookings. Although you're walking in the busy tourist season, I'd only recommend booking your first night in Irun (if that's where you're starting) and perhaps also San Sebastian. After that, you can figure out if it's necessary to book and do it on a day by day basis if needed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tom, wishing you well with your planning.

I've walked some of the Norte - from Irun to Llanes and found it to be well enough marked most of the time. I don't think you'll need GPS tracks, unless you plan to take some of the (wonderful) coastal and other alternatives. If so, have a look at @peregrina2000's excellent thread on that topic, as well as this one about the coastal route from Santander to Boo.

It's probably a bit early to make bookings. Although you're walking in the busy tourist season, I'd only recommend booking your first night in Irun (if that's where you're starting) and perhaps also San Sebastian. After that, you can figure out if it's necessary to book and do it on a day by day basis if needed.

Thanks, Nuala! I'll keep that in mind. Do you know of anyone whose taken the coastal route from Ribadeo to Ferrol? or who might have gps tracks for that section?

Thanks, Nuala! I'll keep that in mind. Do you know of anyone whose taken the coastal route from Ribadeo to Ferrol? or who might have gps tracks for that section?
That wouold be the Ruta do Mar, maggie and alan on the forum have posted. I think Alan's tracks are on wikiloc. look for alansykes. Look here for discussions https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/ruta-do-mar-from-ribadeo.112/

And I HIGHLY recommend those coastal alternatives I posted (that Nuala linked to), they are so much more beautiful and so much easier on the feet than pounding along the national highway for km after km. It does make the stages longer, but doable,and if you have time, it's easy to break them up.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That wouold be the Ruta do Mar, maggie and alan on the forum have posted. I think Alan's tracks are on wikiloc. look for alansykes. Look here for discussions https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/ruta-do-mar-from-ribadeo.112/

And I HIGHLY recommend those coastal alternatives I posted (that Nuala linked to), they are so much more beautiful and so much easier on the feet than pounding along the national highway for km after km. It does make the stages longer, but doable,and if you have time, it's easy to break them up.

Thanks, Peregrina! I will definitely explore those. I'm not a fan of road walking. If I'm doing the coastal routes, how much further per day are they? I'm figuring that with a little more training I cna probably safely manage 25 to 30 km a day (with some shorter or rest stages built in).

Thanks, Peregrina! I will definitely explore those. I'm not a fan of road walking. If I'm doing the coastal routes, how much further per day are they? I'm figuring that with a little more training I cna probably safely manage 25 to 30 km a day (with some shorter or rest stages built in).

Well, I found that I arrived sometimes as late as 3 or 4 pm, which is way later than I like. You would just have to go stage by stage and compare (easiest way would be to take the coastal alternative track and compare it to the standard camino track, wikiloc has lots of each). I knew I was going to walk the coastal tracks and didn't pay attention to what the road alternative was, but I can tell you that some days were as high as 36 or 38. I remember arriving into Llanes at 3:30 or so, which is a lot later than most people who walk the camino arrived. It also made the day into Ribadeo a long day, but oh so beautiful! I am happy to offer specific suggestions on how to break up a particular stage if you tell me which ones would be too long. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back