• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

looking for your experiences of Camino Francés dec/jan

FinnOz

Time of past OR future Camino
Looking to do the Camino Francés with my teenager in dec (2018) - jan (2019)
Hi lovely people,

What are your experiences during these months (dec/jan) over this route starting from SJPP?
I understand the route de Napoléon will be closed? What is the route Valcarlos Route to Roncesvalle like?
Is this the roughest part of the walk weather wise?
Would the Camino del Norte be kinder? (starting from San Sebastián)

Looking to walk the Camino in dec 2018/jan 2019 with my teenager son (will be 12).
We have up to 8 weeks!
The alternative is we simply pick the better months to walk (and therefore a shorter trip) and take his school work with via internet :\

Love to hear your ideas and experiences,

Bless, Maz

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maz - I walked in Jan/Feb 2013 and was an awesome experience. I'd certainly recommend the CF over the CN just because of the Albergue options. On CF there were plenty available in the winter months, never was a real challenge getting a bed for the night. CN will be tougher and likely you'll need to mix in plenty of Pensions or Casa Rurals which will run up the price somewhat. The first couple of days were a challenge in the winter with snow up to my waist towards the top of the Pyrenees on the Valcarlos Route. Day 2 was really bad for ice, so much so that I'm taking a pair of Icetrekkers - Diamond Grip to help keep me upright. After the snow and sub-zero weather it was great walking after that with snow reappearing around O'Cebriero and some pretty heavy bouts of rainfall. Quality rain gear saved my bacon but my favorite cold-weather piece of gear was my merino wool buff. Made everything really manageable.

One thought about walking with your 12 year old son is that the days are cold and long. For adults it seemed pretty manageable however that will be pretty rough on a young person I think. I hope with 8 weeks you can accomplish this together!!

Buen Camino,
Jordon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
Hi Maz - I walked in Jan/Feb 2013 and was an awesome experience. I'd certainly recommend the CF over the CN just because of the Albergue options. On CF there were plenty available in the winter months, never was a real challenge getting a bed for the night. CN will be tougher and likely you'll need to mix in plenty of Pensions or Casa Rurals which will run up the price somewhat. The first couple of days were a challenge in the winter with snow up to my waist towards the top of the Pyrenees on the Valcarlos Route. Day 2 was really bad for ice, so much so that I'm taking a pair of Icetrekkers - Diamond Grip to help keep me upright. After the snow and sub-zero weather it was great walking after that with snow reappearing around O'Cebriero and some pretty heavy bouts of rainfall. Quality rain gear saved my bacon but my favorite cold-weather piece of gear was my merino wool buff. Made everything really manageable.

One thought about walking with your 12 year old son is that the days are cold and long. For adults it seemed pretty manageable however that will be pretty rough on a young person I think. I hope with 8 weeks you can accomplish this together!!

Buen Camino,
Jordon

Thank you Jordan!
Most helpful advice. Yes teenager stamina/angst will be interesting. He will be my height so he should have no excuses.

I have icetrekkerson my list. Mulling over rain pants though.

Buen Camino!

Maz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you Jordan!
Most helpful advice. Yes teenager stamina/angst will be interesting. He will be my height so he should have no excuses.

I have icetrekkerson my list. Mulling over rain pants though.

Buen Camino!

Maz
One way to think about rain pants is that they are infinitely easier to wash than your normal pants after slogging in mud for 20-30kms! It was common to see Spaniards wearing Gators to help with the mud. For me the rain pants served as rain, wind, snow and thermal pants. I know I wouldn't go in the winter without them! Let us know what gear you settle on, always interesting to see packing lists. J.

I met 14 pilgrims in three weeks in January. It is very quiet!
Hi Falcon269! Thank you for the information...Well we shall become closer to those we meet. I guess! All the best, Maz

One way to think about rain pants is that they are infinitely easier to wash than your normal pants after slogging in mud for 20-30kms! It was common to see Spaniards wearing Gators to help with the mud. For me the rain pants served as rain, wind, snow and thermal pants. I know I wouldn't go in the winter without them! Let us know what gear you settle on, always interesting to see packing lists. J.

In spite of my heritage I fear the cold. Thank you for the tip on the rain pants. The fabric technology is quite amazing. As it goes I'm making the ultimate list of 'things' from other people's experiences. A bit like getting ready to deliver a baby: So much experience and expertise ultimately one has to pick up on what works best for you. Fantastic resources such as this web site allow for us all to share and prosper.

Will definitely share our list of gear and hopefully add more good ideas over the coming year. x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take sleeping bags, warm ones. Albergues often do not turn on heat. Be prepared for snow, rain, and mud, mud, and more mud. But, I expect you two will have great time.
Buen camino.
Thank you nycwalking :) Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back