• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking put-together in cities - am I kidding myself?

stelrey

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - March/April 2014
This is mainly a question for the ladies.

I know that the camino isn't a fashion show, but I'm wondering if anyone's figured out a way to not look like a complete disaster when taking in the sights in cities? An athletic skirt (which I prefer to walk in instead of shorts) paired with my black base-layers (long johns and long-sleeved shirt) will do me for city clothes. But...shoes? What about shoes? If I wear black Crocs in Spanish cities, will i elicit pity and smirks? If i were walking in summer, I would just bring black Crocs sandals, but in March and April, I imagine that I'll probably need light-weight closed-toe shoes.

I'm not a vain person and I travel very light. But I remember feeling really out-of-place in big African cities during a one-year backpacking trip. I felt dusty and dirty, and the locals were all so put-together and polished. I actually felt a bit disrespectful in restaurants, theatres and museums because of it. I swore on that trip that in the future, I would always find a way to look nicer at times (without adding weight), out of respect for the people who live there. So far, I've managed to stick to that...but the camino is making that a challenge!

Should I be thinking of this at all when planning for my camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear crocs in March/April. I try to look a bit put-together as well, not sure I ever manage it. People who live in cities along the camino are used to the camino look and accept it.
I was on a train last year when some French women pilgrims got on, they managed the put-yogether look, even down to having hand-bags :) personally I reckon that is just extra weight. there are always Albergues with washing machines and it is often possible to share a load, clean is about all that is reasonable I think.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My handbag weighs 80g. I will take it for the flight and then decide to carry it with me or not.

My brown hiking trousers look - at least before the Camino - as formal as my office trousers.
For the shirts I carry one black and one green, those will look decent enough for the cities.
My jacket has a very feminine cut. It protects me against wind and rain - but is my normal city jacket anyway. Found it at some outdoor store a few years ago. I will definitely skip the poncho when sightseeing in the major cities :lol:

As for the shoes - going for Teva sandals here. Or I will have to stick to the hiking boots when it is too cold.

I will definitely look like a tourist. But hopefully not too run down

Along the Camino, the Spanish are really very accustomed to pilgrims and, as long as it looks as if we've showered, regard us with tolerance/amusement/respect. I have gone into very good restaurants in pilgrim gear, where other customers were in suits and ties, and been seated courteously without another glance. Once or twice I felt obliged to explain my appearence by identifying myself as a pilgrim, and my objections were brushed aside.

Crocophobia is a North American urban hipster fetish. It doesn't travel to Spain, and your crocs will be acceptable.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

I hadn't really considered that there will be countless scruffy pilgrims passing through, so I won't feel quite so out of place. That actually makes me feel a lot better...since people are used to pilgrims, I won't feel that I'm being disrespectful by not dressing up. I'll just aim for clean!

As for this: "Crocophobia is a North American urban hipster fetish." Maybe. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that they're seriously ugly shoes. :lol: But they're super lightweight and extraordinarily comfortable, so they get a pass.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear trousers and boots if it is cold or wet and Crocs if it is dry. This year because we will be staying in a hotel as part of our travel package I have bought a pair of very cheap and light (50gm) indoor/light use pumps. At the moment they are hung up in the garage to try to get rid of the extra strong plastic smell. They might look OK but everyone will be wondering who smells if it spreads to my clothes in my pack :( . If the smell does not go away then they will not be going!!!

Hi! I think it's a real advantage to look like a pilgrim. People recognise what we are, respect what we do, and are likely to be extra tolerant if our language skills etc are not great. :D

Buen Camino!

Follow the lead of the French....they look smart in just about anything,a scarf here',a bit of bling there,they just seem to have the knack....... :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe give the Merrell range some thought. 'Love Crocs but they'll probably take up more space in your backpack. Before you make your decision, find out the weight of the shoe before you buy them. The scarf and bling is a great idea - a really cool scarf can really transform your gear when you're in the cities. Best of luck with your research!

Definitely not flip flops ! I got some strange looks wearing them in cities, and felt very uncomfortable. But it was them , or boots, until I bought hiking sandals, which didn't look so out of place, even with the fashion disaster sock combo. It's the bare feet in Autumn which was not a good look :oops:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love my flip flops. They're lightweight and I can wear them in the nasty showers.
Then, after my feet rest, I just put my walking shoes back on.
The only city I care what I look in is Santiago, and I always treat myself to a new clothes shopping spree when I arrive.

Anniesantiago said:
I love my flip flops. They're lightweight and I can wear them in the nasty showers.
Then, after my feet rest, I just put my walking shoes back on.

This. I wear my walking shoes or my flipflops. If anyone has given me funny looks, I haven't noticed (or cared).

Anniesantiago said:
The only city I care what I look in is Santiago, and I always treat myself to a new clothes shopping spree when I arrive.
This. I will be walking from Sevilla to Salamanca in May and promised myself the same: in Salamanca I am going to buy myself a dress. As a treat and to feel not too odd my last few days in Salamanca and Madrid...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For years I have carried a few things for "town" wear. Not all pilgrims do--which doesn't bother me--but I like the change. Besides I wash my clothes most nights so I need something to change to. Anyway, I wear a straight black skirt (just above the knee), a knit top (or my Smartwool long-sleeved black knit top if it's cold, a scarf and earrings, and relatively dressy shoes--black, suede Mephisto with a very-slight wedge. These shoes, though pricey, have traveled with my countless miles and are comfortable for walking around town. I also wear a black slip (full length) which I also sleep in. Some people use a pareo as a wrap (which can also function as a bath towel!) instead of a scarf.
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

I just bought some very lightweight footwear for after trail - Skechers Go Recovery. My women's size 9.5 weigh 240 grams. I have no advance experience with this brand but they have some impressive reviews and I think they will be a good alternative to my 550 grams sandals. They are not totally waterproof like Crocs, but I don't mind keeping my socks on in the showers, and these certainly look a whole lot better IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Go-Walk- ... B00741F55S

Thank you so much for the responses! I think I'm going to stick with my crocs.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Rebecca, for finally saying what I've been chewing my tongue over.

For goodness sakes, this is not a fashion show!

People are going to be too tired to worry if your shoes match your pants.
Most people won't take you seriously, either.

In Burgos, on my first Camino, there was a woman wearing pantyhose under her shorts, full make-up, ratted hair and hairspray, and enough perfume to gag the entire albergue. It was sad, honestly, because people were rolling their eyes so much I'm surprised there weren't eyeballs all over the floor. :roll:

Try leaving all the "trappings" home and see if you don't feel a bit liberated??? :oops:

Anniesantiago said:

In Burgos, on my first Camino, there was a woman wearing pantyhose under her shorts, full make-up, ratted hair and hairspray, and enough perfume to gag the entire albergue. It was sad, honestly, because people were rolling their eyes so much I'm surprised there weren't eyeballs all over the floor. :roll:

Try leaving all the "trappings" home and see if you don't feel a bit liberated??? :oops:

Is there two Anniesantiago on this forum?
I'm quite sure I remember an Anniesantiago who started a thread about her new fancy skirt. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear oh dear oh dear. For the first time I’ve gotta say I disagree with two veteran posters whose advice and comments I had come to respect and have generally taken note of. Not this time Reb and Annie.

There is nothing wrong with the original poster’s dilemma and her desire to look just a little more put together at the end of her walking day. She prefaced her post by acknowledging that she realized that the Camino wasn’t a fashion show. That was as good as saying, hey you veterans don’t jump all over me but just give me some constructive advice because I do not want to look like a complete disaster when taking in the sights in cities.

I felt this way myself too when I walked last time! So when I go again in May, and even though I weigh everything and challenge myself if it’s necessary, yes – I can justify a 20 gram scarf and a 5 gram pair of earings etc. And yes, I can still see this as a pilgrimage.

On my second Camino I brought a shirt with a collar (being male). It is nice to clean up and look presentable, nothing wrong with that. I didn't wear it every night, I had to wash it sometime, but in the larger towns going out for dinner it was nice.
Eric

Anniesantiago said:

Who said anything about wearing perfume and pantyhose? There are lots of shades of gray in between unkempt and dolled up. I don't wear make-up, perfume or pantyhose at home, so I'm certainly not going to go out and buy them for the camino. But I do take care that I'm wearing clean, tidy clothes at home that *generally* match (unless it's close to laundry day, in which case all bets are off. Ha!).

I think that part of being a gracious visitor is to dress in ways that are appropriate in more formal settings. I was wondering if crocs are acceptable footwear in churches, museums and restaurants. I'm not sure how you jumped from that to hairspray!

I'm reassured by the people reminding me that people are used to pilgrims, and that I won't stand out. Have you ever travelled somewhere where you *do* stand out - not because you aren't wearing make-up, but because you're dusty and tired and unshowered after an 18-hour bus ride? It's kind of an uncomfortable feeling - and one that I'd like to avoid in the future. That's why I asked this question...and I'm very grateful for the responses reassuring me that I don't have to worry about it on the camino! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe I'm just feeling old and crotchedy ::laughing::
I actually had that conversation with a friend today.

My skirt is a HIKING SKIRT that turns into a pair of PANTS and SHORTS.
It certainly is not anything fashionable.
It will be nice for church so I don't make little old ladies upset.
That's pretty much it.
I love it because it's comfortable, and it doesn't match any of my shirts! :oops:

That said, do as you will.
I just think it's a mistake to carry extra weight just so you can look pretty.
But that's me...::shrug::

Regarding crocs, I carried them last Camino and loved them.
Mine were bright hot pink!

"Who said anything about pantyhose and perfume?"
I did.
I was telling a story. :p and it's not necessarily "about you?"
There ARE other people on this thread.
Take whatever you want... there are "free boxes" all along the Camino full of fancy dresses, shoes, jackets, bras, panties, towels, jeans, socks, and all sorts of extra things people brought, then dumped along the way. You can always leave it for the next pilgrim. :twisted:

Oh, and if you're "dusty, and tired, and unshowered" you'll fit right in!
No worries! :wink:

While I had a collared shirt for observing the paseo of an evening, I think that my most important contribution to sartorial elegance on the Camino was to search in the morning for a wild rose bush (and Spain and France are full of them) for a boutonnière for my rainjacket lapel/Osprey pack. Walking out of Nantes one morning, I found no wild roses and was compelled to ask a gardening houseowner for one of her blossoms, and was presented with a jewel of a yellow and pink rose to wear.

As far as propriety goes, entering into the church of San Miguel in Estella (up up up up the stairs in the east end of town), I apologized to the young priest for wearing shorts and he told me that the pilgrim's garments were always respectable, and the wearing of them a blessing. Tilley's has never had such an endorsement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And what's wrong with panty hoses? (I had to google that. :wink: )
Maybe they are warm and comfy? And weigh nothing.
I remember you can buy special tights with a bit of compression, to use in airplanes etc, so to not get swollen legs. Good for the blood circulation.
Maybe that's nice to wear when walking all day? Legs gets less tired?
:)

I will be walking in my hiking shorts, t-shirt and hikingboots in Sevilla the weekend I arrive there to start my pilgrimage. I know I will feel a bit awkward while doing the usual sightseeing things on my first day there. Sevilla is not a city full of pilgrims, so I simply will be the odd one out. The woman who looks like she doesn't care how to dress.

There is no other way (not considering carrying the extra weight), but I fully understand the question about looking put-together in cities. I feel perfectly fine in my hiking shorts amongst other pilgrims in the albergue, but cities are just a completely different habitat. I don't walk in my hiking shorts in my hometown Amsterdam either.

Anniesantiago said:
Maybe I'm just feeling old and crotchedy ::laughing::
Yes... :wink:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone had to dress in the same kind of old grey potato sack? All would be equal. Young and beautiful, old and saggy, we would all look the same anyway.
Nobody had to be jealous because others look prettier. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe if we all got a hiking skirt like Annie's we could start a peregrina fashion trend! I followed the skirt link, and I'm getting one for sure. They look comfortable, versatile, wash/dry and with the matching jacket that can be used for warmth or converted to a shrug, make a nice looking outfit you could happily wear out in a city, or as pants/shorts/skirt for hiking.

Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all those years clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story! And I can bet in my nun's habit I'm not going to be setting any trends either. The best thing about any kind of uniform is never having to wonder what I'm going to wear.But I still think Annie's hiking skirt is a great looking compromise for those who just don't feel comfortable in church , or walking down a city street wearing shorts. The best comment I read was the priest who said pilgrims garb was the most honourable clothing one could wear! Dust and all!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Susannafromsweden said:
Yes... :wink:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone had to dress in the same kind of old grey potato sack? All would be equal. Young and beautiful, old and saggy, we would all look the same anyway.
Nobody had to be jealous because others look prettier. :)

Oh, Susanna, you would have loved those potato sack dresses my grandmother sewed for me! :p
They weren't old and grey at all!

I'm well beyond the age of feeling jealous of appearances.
Jealousy is the fear or apprehension of superiority.
When I see people struggling under the weight of their vanity,
it isn't jealousy I feel.

Those of us who have walked the Camino many times are generally more into comfort and logic.
I have nothing against "clean and tidy" although you may find it a bit more difficult on the Camino, depending on your definition. And pantyhose - well, I just read a thread on those yesterday and I may try them!

The original questions was, "Should I be thinking of this at all when planning for my camino?"
Some of us who are experienced answered... "no!" Others made some good suggestions. I told a story that apparently hit home to some folks. Sorry to have ruffled feathers. :roll:

Bottom line: It's your Camino! 8)

Wear what makes you happy!

Have fun and Buen Camino!

Annie I was going to write you a funny reply (well I thought it was funny :) ) about the hair spray.
But think you revised your post.

Ok but this I found really interesting. "Struggling under the weight of their vanity"?
Wow! :shock: That's got to be the most peculiar thing I've read on this forum.
What on earth do you mean by that?

It feels like you're in a challenging mood, this week, Susannah.
I'm sorry if it's just that you're having trouble understanding.

I don't want to argue.
So I think I'll leave it alone.
Peace!

Fair enough Annie.
My manners does not allow me to respond in the same tone, so I won't.
I thought we were having a nice conversation about skirts, joking with each other.
Sorry you felt otherwise. :|

My suggestion is to bring a lightweight scarf. Wear it when you start off in the morning or in the evening and you have a bit of extra warmth that is easily adjusted or removed. If a pack strap is bothering you, tuck it under the strap.

When the weather is scorching, wet it under a fountain and wrap it sopping wet around your neck or hanging down over your head.

It's a brilliant piece of equipment that will also add a little variety to your life. 8)

You can find pretty dresses made by sportswear companies (Merrell, Icebreaker, Columbia...) Paired with leggings on cold days or worn alone is a nice way to feel put-together without adding much weight. Pair that with a colorful silk scarf and you're set. The leggings can be used as pajama bottoms. I suggest the Mary Jane Crocs instead of the classic mule; "prettier" yet you can still wear socks in them, because you will eventually succomb to that necessity, either because of the cold or blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I live in the middle of central London in England,,,,we get millions of tourists,day visitors and backpacking travelers.
There is noting wrong with wanting to smarten up in the evening,black is the perfect color and to add my twopennies worth....forget crocs(ugly beyond belief)....try ballet pumps... elegant, light...stylish and so continental.

To all you seasoned walkers....what about the undisclosed problem of "pilgrim foot"

suntanned legs and pure snow white feet...look so funny with flip flops....could that be why the lady in bourgos wore pantyhose?

I've been toying with this myself. On the Overland I wore my hiking gear on the plane and when I arrived in Launceston I felt very self-conscious because my hiking partner had brought a whole other bag so she could look nice before and after the hike. I was doing the hike on the extreme cheap, so didn't even have the benefit of nicely designed hiking gear. It's the first time I'd ever felt that way though.

I was just thinking about keeping my pack weight to a minimum, not the days before and after.

When we got back from the hike we had two days before I flew out again and I had to go and buy some (really!) cheap clothes and a pair of light shoes because I was so sick of my hiking gear by then!

For the Camino I'm in a better place financially so I'm thinking of getting a non-crease outdoors dress to wear in the evenings, just to give myself a bit of a break. It's also nice to just feel a different fabric and cut against you for a while. And I do so like the feeling of a dress after being in pants, and vice versa!

By the end of the Overland I had a much lighter pack, having eaten all my food, so the clothing weight getting home wasn't an issue, and on the Camino since I won't be carrying eight days worth of food, cooking gear, tents, etc, throwing in an extra dress won't be a problem.

By the way - ¿is there a Desigual store in Santiago? ¡I will need to buy a pretty dress! ¡Urgently upon arrival!

I won't carry any fancy clothes with me on the Camino. But I will have to join a family celebration right afterwards, having my little niece get baptized.
I cannot possibly show up at a major family celebration in Germany in my worn out and hand washed hiking gear, can I? Well, more important that I will show up at all. But still ... ¿In half dirty zip-off pants, a functional wear shirt and teva sandals?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hueppi said:
By the way - ¿is there a Desigual store in Santiago? ¡I will need to buy a pretty dress! ¡Urgently upon arrival!

I won't carry any fancy clothes with me on the Camino. But I will have to join a family celebration right afterwards, having my little niece get baptized.
I cannot possibly show up at a major family celebration in Germany in my worn out and hand washed hiking gear, can I? Well, more important that I will show up at all. But still ... ¿In half dirty zip-off pants, a functional wear shirt and teva sandals?

There are several upscale stores just out of old town in Santiago. You should not any problem. Actually, Santiago has all of the shopping you would expect in a smallish city.

I carried a colorful scarf that weighed nothing. As we only had two sets of clothes that was the extent of my elegance. We stayed in a few upmarket places here and there and it made me feel somehow more ok walking into the dining room in my very basic walking gear. But dont worry - there are shops (we easily bought gifts for our families in Santiago). And dont forget - everyone at the party will be fascinated and full of questions about your Camino, so what you are wearing wont matter a bit, just would add to the story.

Tia Valeria said:
.............This year because we will be staying in a hotel as part of our travel package I have bought a pair of very cheap and light (50gm) indoor/light use pumps. At the moment they are hung up in the garage to try to get rid of the extra strong plastic smell. They might look OK but everyone will be wondering who smells if it spreads to my clothes in my pack :( . If the smell does not go away then they will not be going!!!
The smelly pumps have just been allowed back into the house :) Looks like they will be OK by the time we go, so they are on the packing list, along with a pair of nylon 'knee highs'. Somehow I think socks would spoil any attempt at 'elegance'.
If they are not much good they will be abandoned as we actually start walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stelrey, it seems to me that you are on the right track as far as being respectful and looking tidy. Do what you feel comfortable doing, your idea is shared by many. Make-up? Pantyhose? It could be a bit too much, however I would never criticize anyone wearing mascara, lipstick, etc., after all there are huge cultural differences in what tidy, and neat mean. Clean is clean, but comfort level is all yours in the way you need it. After all, it is YOUR Camino.

Ultreia!

Mary

In Santiago there is a Zara and the other one Sara? ..I have bought new t shirts there twice, for young people there seems to be a lot of choice and style worn on the camino and i say fair play. But I had a good laugh in the ladies shower room in O Ceb..this was oct 2012 (for anyone who might recognise the characters). There were 2 russian ladies both young and pretty, and the showers have no doors or privacy , you had to leave towels and clothes on a bench. I saw the girls bring in 2 big bags of toiletries and afterwards saw them doing the whole make up, spray, etc routine. I honestly admired them for it. They were walking same stages as me (a bit faster even!) and this is what they wanted to carry. After 3 caminos I don't even carry the pretty scarf anymore, to me it does not matter, but a scarf to wrap around your head (wet/dry) is very useful.
I love reading this forum, I love being on the camino with 2 shorts/2 tops. no extra weight, that makes me happy.
be happy
enjoy the party, enjoy the cities, enjoy the camino.

Thanks so much for this thread. I am packing for my Camino starting mid-June in Sjpp.
I am an Aussie girl who lives in dresses at home, and i want to take a comfortable dress to where in the afternoons and evenings. I don't wear make-up or do my hair.. i just think dresses are comfortable and feminine and light and good for summer...

Will i look out of place in the Albergues because I am wearing a dress?

I am packing light, and have just walked part of the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal so my back-pack and hiking boots are worn in!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Elisabeth, if you are comfortable in a dress, go for it! I'm actually really jealous because dresses do not look good on me. Bring leggings for chilly nights and you'll be set.

ElizabethAussie said:
Thanks so much for this thread. I am packing for my Camino starting mid-June in Sjpp.
I am an Aussie girl who lives in dresses at home, and i want to take a comfortable dress to where in the afternoons and evenings. I don't wear make-up or do my hair.. i just think dresses are comfortable and feminine and light and good for summer...

Will i look out of place in the Albergues because I am wearing a dress?

I am packing light, and have just walked part of the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal so my back-pack and hiking boots are worn in!

Dresses are fine, I'm taking a skirt myself. Actually I did not notice any special dress code for the camino, neither did I see anyone criticise people because of how they looked etc. But I was doing vdlp, perhaps it's different there.
I walked part of Annapurna circuit too last year. Most of it in sandals, just as the locals! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a 180gm sleeveless dress from Rohan (discontinued :( ) Quick drying non crease, non iron. If it is cool, or for church etc, I can wear a t-shirt or my 'best' walking shirt under it, or my long sleeved T and long johns - black - also Rohan - to be warm and tidy. Most of the time I just wore my trousers and a shirt, but it is nice to have the choice.
In hot weather it doubles as a nightie.

I always regret every extra ounce in my backpack. Think that after 6+ caminos (usually via Paris, Nice or Madrid) I'd get it right but I never do. I try to only have two sets of clothes, one to walk in, one to wear while washing and drying walking clothes. Always easier in summer; sandals plus a light skirt do as the second set, with black silk long johns and a black fine merino cardigan if needed.

ROFL - yes, I know they have stores in Spain in general and in Santiago in particular - which is certainly not a smallish town for Galician standards.

Still, my question was a bit more specific:
Anybody know if they have desigual in Santiago?

With many Spanish brands I have trouble with clothes to fit. I don't like Zara much lately. Maybe I am getting too old for Zara fashion style?
Desigual works for me and is what I will be looking for. They tend to have dresses perfect for a family celebration, and then later to be used as a cocktail dress for work events. I would just need one piece, plus possibly shoes (or even show up with my Tevas or some old foot gear deposited at my parents' house).

€149,-
Desigual no es igual!

I just checked their store locator.
http://www.desigual.com/storelocator/storelocator.jsp

Sorry, no Desigual in Santiago. Closest one on your way is in Ponferrada.

Good luck,
Jean-Marc

P-S. Desigual clothing can be found in the following in Santiago:
Vertice
Argalia De Arriba,12, 15704, Santiago de Compostela

El Corte Inglés Compostela
Rua Do Restollal, 50, 15702, Santiago de Compostela

Also look out for spanish brand Skunkfunk. If you like Desigual this one will maybe too be of your interest. More sober design but same shapes.

There actually is a Desigual store in Ames, A Coruña, which is only 24 km away. If you have never been to El Corte Inglés that is a store you might love!

Ultreia!

Mary

Last october I took my grown up daughter (if they ever are that is) to meet some of my friends in Bilbao. Unfortunately she saw it as a shopping trip and unfortunately found the Bilbao Desigual (a brand she likes). It made the trip quite expensive! :roll:

LOL! Al, daughters have a way into a father's heart (wallet :D ) It always happened with my husband when he took our girls shopping. Guess who they preferred at the store with them? :D

(Un)fortunately I seem to also be her bosom pal! She finds me every time, no matter what pub I hide in. :oops: Unfortunately we have many friends in common and her intelligence network is extremely effective.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, everybody.
I suppose I will need a brief shopping interruption of my camino in Ponferrada then :mrgreen:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear peregrinas,
Today I've been shopping in Estocolmo. :)
And...there was a sale at the shop where they sell silk stuff.
And I felt so inspired by this thread, I bought a silk dressing gown. Midnight blue.
110 grams !!!
So now I will look put-together in the albergues! :mrgreen:

Susannafromsweden said:

Susanna,
Can't wait to see that.
You'll put everyone to shame in the albergues.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
Susannafromsweden said:

Susanna,
Can't wait to see that.
You'll put everyone to shame in the albergues.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

:lol: Something to look forward to, huh?
Actually they had a whole box full of dressing gowns in the shop.
I'm sure they have your size too. :wink:

€60,-
I loved reading all of your responses! Thank you!

My current goal: to come in somewhere in between "put together" and "utter and complete disaster". Lowered expectations. Ha! Tidy and clean will be more than enough for me. With crocs on my feet.

Thanks for the scarf suggestion! I'll probably bring a pashmina (sarong) for a pillow case/scarf/towel/shawl, so that'll do.

Canuck said:
Desigual no es igual!

I just checked their store locator.
http://www.desigual.com/storelocator/storelocator.jsp

Sorry, no Desigual in Santiago. Closest one on your way is in Ponferrada.

Good luck,
Jean-Marc

P-S. Desigual clothing can be found in the following in Santiago:
Vertice
Argalia De Arriba,12, 15704, Santiago de Compostela

El Corte Inglés Compostela
Rua Do Restollal, 50, 15702, Santiago de Compostela

I wonder if you can help me I'm a large women a size 20 and I'm wondering if you know of any big womens stores in Santiago?
please Mandy

Sorry Mandy, can't give you specific places.
In the small streets behind the cathedral there are stores catering to many sizes.
Good luck.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too am undecided as to wht to bring for a second pair of shoes. I don't find Crocs comfortable and the traditional style are just too ugly (IMHO). I'll be walking the end of Septmber- mid October next year either from SJPP to ? ( however far I get in about 17 days) or from Leon to Santiago.
I'm thinking just a lightweight pair of sneakers/trainers? Or some walking sandals?
I just got a Macabi skirt in the mail today. I'm going to see how I like walking in it. I think it would look fine with either the sandals or sneakers or hiking boots for that matter. It is very light weight and made of the same type of material my hiking pants are made of. It is full enough to wear some leggings or bicycle shorts underneath. I plan on pairing it with my long underwear top and maybe a scarf or pareo/wrap in the evenings.

:!: FYI if you order one size down. Right now I wear somewhere between a 16-18 (losing weight :D ) I'm 5'4" and I ordered a large/short. It fits perfectly, comes just below my calves. :!:

Regarding the choice of the second pair of shoes, the scarf, the dress, the earrings etc etc -- weigh them on your digital scale! It is absolutely amazing to me how widely the weights of a simple pair of shoes can range. And, ounce by ounce and gram by gram, the weight does indeed creep up.

Sometimes a concern for the approval of others masquerades as an inappropriate concern about personal appearance.

That being said, it does come as something of a shock to walk into a large city like Ulm and be treated as though I were a homeless vagrant.

WayWalker63 said:
(...)I'm thinking just a lightweight pair of sneakers/trainers? Or some walking sandals?
(...)

I would strongly suggest you bring sandals as you will need/want to let your feet breathe at the end of the day. Also, should you get blisters, you want footwear that will limit the risk of more friction. Consider that you may need to wear socks in thoses sandals...I know, I know, you may think you will never do that but when it gets cold in the mountains, you will succomb and put socks on. :D :wink:

Thanks Kitsambler and CaminoGen, for both your replies.

Looking good is certainly a secondary or even tertiary reason to pick a pair of "evening shoes" for my Camino. 1) Comfort, because no matter the weight or looks if it isn't comfortable I don't wear it, in my everyday life or on the Camino. 2) weight and versatility - I want something I could if necessary walk in should my feet or other circumstance demand it.

I'm a sock girl and am not opposed to wearing socks with sandals. I already do around the house. Gen, your reasons for choosing sandals over sneakers have swayed me. I will begin the hunt. I know I have plenty of time but find finding a shoe that is comfortable and supportive difficult. I will have a bigger selection during the summer months. Living in FL. means I can test drive them lots before my Camino next year.

As for the "alternate footwear" question, I am going with Keen's Whisper waterproof sandals. They are not that light, but in case my feet go to he** in a hand basket, I may be able to walk in them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Phillypilgrim

I was looking at the Keens and the Tevas for exactly that reason.
I was going to REI last weekend to begin the hunt but a tooth that I've been putting off getting a crown on decided that I need to get it fixed sooner rather than buy new sandals :? There goes my splurge funds for the month or more. :cry: I guess the Camino is already providing, since the tooth could have waited until I was mid Camino before breaking.

El Corte Inglés has an excellent selection of desigual. In León, I bought a desigual scarf as a gift for my friend (a huge fan) who looked after my place while I was on Camino last spring. Lightweight, compact, and sufficiently special -- the perfect gift. I wasn't looking for a thank you gift when I arrived at Santiago but that El Corte Inglés is pretty big so I'm sure it would have a good selection. Many shops also had a few pieces. desigual is a hip Spanish line, after all!

About the shoes -- I say lose the Crocs! Because a seasoned traveller friend raved about them (and against my better judgment), I bought a pair for the evenings. Gawd, not only are they hideous but when the bottoms of my feet were raw with blisters, the little knobs on the Crocs were murder! AND they took up too much room in my backpack. I finally had enough in Carrión de los Condes and found a pair of equally lightweight (but cute!) plastic flipflop type sandals for around €12. Happily abandoned those cursed Crocs at Espíritu Santo!

I went out for tapas last year in Pamplona with 5 women. Everyone looked pretty well put together. The key was having something to wear in suitably dark tones, no neon blues or oranges. The Spanish don't care particularly, so that's not the issue. It's how you feel about yourself. I'm a city person and I have my own particular notions of how I want to present myself in an urban environment. And I'll carry carefully thought out extra weight to make that work.

Come to think of it, I think we all looked pretty good in small towns too!

And why shouldn't a man care as much as a woman about how one looks?

Bill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Way walker, I totally get that point of view!
As far as "looking put together" I have a small pile of luxury items, a scarf and a black maxi skirt, to consider last minute. They probably won't make it in the pack though. We'll see.

OMG! That's a hoot! She looks like Glenda from the Wizard of Oz or Scarlet from Gone With the Wind. :lol:
Right now I'm thinking my 'evening dress' will be a Macabi skirt (which I can also hike in), one of my base layer tops probably black, the sandals, socks if needed, fleece and maybe a scarf if my pack isn't too heavy. If really chilly I could wear my long underwear bottoms (like black leggings) and an extra shirt. All of the above I can hike in and the long underwear I can sleep in or wear while other clothes are in the laundry.

That ball gown-mountain climbing article is hands down the greatest thing I've seen all day, if not all week. Amazing.

And, my two cents on the clothing thing? Next time I walk the Camino I am absolutely bringing a light dress that can be worn wrinkled, that fits into a little corner of my pack. Especially when it was really hot there was nothing less I wanted to wear than the two pairs of pants and two shirts I had brought. I ended up splurging and buying a dress along the way.

And for shoes, the following article about Crocks has me sold:
http://www.trip-logic.com/the-perfect-t ... appy-feet/
Those will certainly be my post-walking shoes next Camino. :)

And for shoes, the following article about Crocks has me sold:

Try them before you decide. I love the idea of Crocs, but they are absolute agony to wear for me and for some others here. They either fit your feet or they don't. Sadly, for me they don't. I've never found any shoe as uncomfortable as they are, and I must have tried a dozen different styles.

I find Crocs dreadfully uncomfortable, for me they have zero arch support and I can't stand that texture thing they've got going on in the sole. I've had a pair for at least 8 years now and have only worn them maybe 4X.
On the other hand my grandson loves them. It was the only shoe he would wear for years. Until they figured he needed a wide shoe Crocs were the only ones that were comfortable to him. Hmm maybe I should see if he can fit in mine :lol:

If it's any help, I find that the Spanish are far less formally put together than they were 10 years ago when I did my first Camino. Back in those faroff days, about half of the 30plus men would wear ties and jackets in the evening and, in churches, it would be the clear majority. By 2011, the tie & jacket male was in a distinct minority. However, shirts were still pressed as were trousers. Pilgrims are given a certain leeway in presentation questions, but I found myself more comfortable in long trousers in churches and in the evenings. As with beachwear, great variation is now acceptable and in a café near the cathedral in Santander, I saw clergy both in mufti and in cassock, getting their cortadoes and chupitos after early morning celebrations.

One Irish pilgrim I met made a point of wearing his neckerchief Ascot-style in the evenings as he thought it more proper. As well, I encountered a French pilgrim (retired police inspector) who carefully scanned the vegetation every morning for a bush of wild roses, so that he could have a boutonniere for his daily stretch. I was with him on one occasion when, in desperation, he asked a gardener for a rose for this purpose; she regarded him with some amusement, and then carefully picked him one of her best blossoms for the day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
oursonpolaire said:
If it's any help, I find that the Spanish are far less formally put together than they were 10 years ago when I did my first Camino. Back in those faroff days, about half of the 30plus men would wear ties and jackets in the evening and, in churches, it would be the clear majority. By 2011, the tie & jacket male was in a distinct minority. However, shirts were still pressed as were trousers.

Bet that in those 'faroff days', it would have been their women (spouses or mothers) who would press their clothes - would surely not have wished to be seen as negligent in their household duties :) ... but times have been a'changing as Dylan sang - also in Spain it seems.

I love the rose story. - It reminded me of an occurrence where some pilgrims told me that there were some Danish pilgrims coming up behind me, and that one of them always had a fresh flower in her hair - and sure enough, when they soon after passed me, they looked rather surprised about me addressing them in Danish.

annelise

... and I knew that I would be passed by them! I can only recall that I myself passed one pilgrim - but she was in a very bad shape and to this day I regret that I did not stay with her and helped her hobble along ... - even though I knew we could not communicate in any common language known to both her or me (she was from Hungary and I had met her in the previous albergue). Sorry to go off the subject of the thread though ...

Didnt know Dylan???? sang in Spain......is he some U.S hillbilly singer???? what has he got to do with this Forum????.........Vicr

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think Vicrev was responding with a humorous post - always risky.. ;-)

Sojourner.....I suppose having a sense of humour must be hard for people without one to take,I am very sorry if I have offended you,as I obviously have from your response.From now on I will be as serious as I possibly can ........ :oops: Vicr

I generally don't care much what I look like on the camino as long as I feel (semi) clean, it's all you can hope for.

However, I once shared a albergue with a japanese girl who, i kid you not, brought out a black pencil skirt, white frilly blouse ... including a travel iron to spruce up the items. To complete the style she added hold ups and kitten heels and a little black purse ... she looked amazing but we were all just staring in disbelieve!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The question I have is "why do you care"? I think it's more important to "cover up" in places like churches or cathedrals where traipsing around in sports bras and mini skirts is much more offensive to the locals. I stayed at an albergue in Sarria and their were 2 German Frauline hiking with hairdryers LOL. If that's what works for you, GO FOR IT! I found a clean shirt and my Kuhl long pants plenty acceptable.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.