• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking to purchase an albergue

WendyF

Time of past OR future Camino
The France Way (2017)
Can anybody recommend a reputable, English speaking real estate broker who can assist my daughter and I with finding an albergue for sale in Portugal or Spain. Once we are settled into our new venture we will be learning Spanish! :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't help you but I certainly can envy you. :)
Wishing you the best on your new (ad)venture.

Casa Camino in Riego del camino, on the way to Granja from Zamora is for sale.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can anybody recommend a reputable, English speaking real estate broker who can assist my daughter and I with finding an albergue for sale in Portugal or Spain. Once we are settled into our new venture we will be learning Spanish! :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE

Albergue’s open and close every year. It’s not a picnic

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Wendy, just sent you a private message through the forum, plesae check it out.

Nearby Valença do Minho an albergue is for sale from I thought Canadians , Quinta Estrada Romana -I saw it on their website the other day
Here some information and how to find them https://www.facebook.com/quintaestradaromana/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa Magica, Villatuerta, was up for sale when I last went there in Oct 17. That place is amazing. If you take it over, promise to keep it the same :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Casa Mágica is for sale??! That would be an awesome place to buy.

Yes, they had a poster up inside it when I was there offering it for sale. The story was something like the owner was recently widowed or divorced or something like that, and didn't want to run it alone.

Who's for clubbing together and buying it? :)

Yes, they had a poster up inside it when I was there offering it for sale. The story was something like the owner was recently widowed or divorced or something like that, and didn't want to run it alone.

Who's for clubbing together and buying it? :)

any idea about the price?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Casa Magica, Villatuerta, was up for sale when I last went there in Oct 17. That place is amazing. If you take it over, promise to keep it the same :)
Nooo! I love that place!

I am also semi-seriously interested in buying an albergue one day so I'll follow the thread with interest.

Presumably if you buy an albergue in Portugal you'll learn Portuguese instead... ;)

Explore Portugal's Golden Visa program for real estate investment. Here is a start point: http://www.goldenvisas.com/portugal/

There are other residency options for Portugal as well that don't require an investment of that magnitude. We thought we would get the Golden Visa but ended up getting an entrepreneur / glorified retirement visa instead, which also costs less in fees.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Before you do anything, I would suggest you both serve as Hospitaleras on the Camino Frances, and not just once. Do it a few times, and then decide if you are ready to take on the commitment. It's lovely to have a dream, but not if it turns into a nightmare. This is a huge commitment - you want to be sure you're both well suited to carry it through. Best of luck.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Might I ask where you are from? Have you considered things like residency requirements? Property and Income Taxes? Insurance?

Not wanting to pour cold water on your dreams, being a hospitalero for a couple of weeks is great fun, not sure I would want to do it 24/7/52! As suggested above dip your toe in the water by volunteering first.

Also, I wonder why so many albergues are up for sale?

This is a beautiful albergue near Sarria on the CF. The owners want to retire. I stayed there last june and was very happy there. Check it out at palomaylena.com Good luck!

We stayed there and loved the place. I hope whoever buys it will take good care of it.
View attachment 40662

Noooooooooooo.
I am very sorry to read this, not just for us, but knowing that it must mean something difficult for the family.

Regarding Casa Mágica: it has been on sale for years. I was hospitalera there in September 2016 and was interested in an arrangement with possible option to buy or at least rent for a season. Went talks fell through, I decided to move on.

From my understanding, the house is actually owned by the ex-partner of the current person running the albergue. They started the albergue together but went their separate ways a few years ago. He would like someone to take over the mortgage or buy it outright, at least that was the situation at the time.

Not sure if still for sale but the albergue in Cirauqui was also on the market back then. I spoke to the owner and she said she was ready to move on after 12 years running the albergue.

As others have mentioned, I suggest volunteering - often - to see if this is a lifestyle you are up to because that's what it is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suggest you speak with Rebekkah from Moratinos before doing something like this.
I also suggest you serve as a hospitalera several times. How can you begin to know what's necessary without having done the job first?

I also suggest you investigate the locals and how THEY feel about you opening an albergue, especially if you're going to be in competition with other locals, because many times the local politics can make your life absolutely hell, according to others who have tried this. ESPECIALLY if you don't even speak the language.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but we've heard many people post this dream on this forum over the years.

Walk a few more times and get to know the people and the language - serve as hospitalera a few times.
That's my suggestion.

I suggest you speak with Rebekkah from Moratinos before doing something like this.
I also suggest you serve as a hospitalera several times. How can you begin to know what's necessary without having done the job first?

I also suggest you investigate the locals and how THEY feel about you opening an albergue, especially if you're going to be in competition with other locals, because many times the local politics can make your life absolutely hell, according to others who have tried this. ESPECIALLY if you don't even speak the language.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but we've heard many people post this dream on this forum over the years.

Walk a few more times and get to know the people and the language - serve as hospitalera a few times.
That's my suggestion.

Totally agree Annie. It is hard enough even if you speak the language. I have seen some ugly politics even among locals. You're not being a "downer" just realistic.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back