• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking to start journey with someone or get any advice on Paris 8/4, 8/5 traveling to St. Jean 8/6

AMoore63

Time of past OR future Camino
Can I manage to do it in August 2017?
I am very nervous about doing my first Camino (abbreviated, since I will be taking bus from Logrono to Leon to finish in the time I have) and am flying into Paris (1st time there) on 8/4. Would like to walk and see as much as I can in a full day and then take train to SJPP on 8/6 to begin. I am wondering if there are any other travelers who would like company to start the journey or have any suggestions for Paris to SJPP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@AMoore63 where are you flying from, and when do you arrive in Paris?
I fly in from Baltimore at 11:30 a.m. on August 4th and haven't decided on where to stay and the train to take from Paris out to SJJ. So far, I closed my eyes and pushed computer key to book one way ticket to start this and now am a little panicky;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We all feel like that the first time @AMoore63 - it is so, so normal! You will be fine. Use the internet to research and find your way around Paris. I'd suggest it will take you a couple of hours to get out of the airport and into Paris. There are a number of ways to do that ( - which is the most convenient often depends on where you will be staying. What do you want to see in your few hours in Paris? You only have limited time, so pick the thing that sings to your heart. For me - I'd head straight to the Musée d'Orsay to see the Impressionists but everyone has something to love in Paris - whether it is just to walk beside the Seine, to climb the Eiffel Tower, the explore the Avenue des Champs-Elysee for fashion and luxury, the queue at the Louve and be overwhelmed with the history of western art, visit Notre-Dame.... Who doesn't love Paris?

Read through this section of the forum for information about all things related to getting from the airport in Paris to SJPDP

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/how-to-travel-from-paris-to-sjpp.113/

Since you are beginning a pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Freres Aveniat and the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in Paris part time and rent my apartment on Air BnB. What I tell visiting guests is it is easier to hire a car service to pick you up at the airport if this is your first time arriving at CDG. To have someone waiting for you does alleviate a lot of stress as it is a long plane ride, a crowded airport and you may not speak French. It is also a long drive into Paris and often with traffic. The service I recommend that is lower in price and has always been reliable for me is Blacklane. You can reserve online and it is a flat rate. It sounds posh and perhaps anti-Pilgrim in energy but actually just a bit more if not equal to the cost of a taxi. Otherwise the Metro system does take you to and from the airport to Paris in about 45 minute to an hour I think. If you are unfamiliar with the Metro it can be daunting only in that the stations the airport run takes stop in the larger connecting stations for changes and tend to be more crowded, but it is also a very user friendly system. I use the Metro all the time, I just learned for my own sanity with jetlag and exhaustion that this was an important life treat that I felt truly helped my anxiety to know a person was waiting and would drive me directly where I needed to go.

As far as the Louvre, use the Carrousel du Louvre entrance downstairs off Rue de Rivoli. This shopping center is underground/ underneath the iconic pyramid. Signs will direct you to the Louvre underground entrance. There are long lines to get in on the surface level/pyramid, so save time on your short day trip. Below, in the Carrousel at the inverted pyramid opposite the top, you go thru security to ATM like kiosks that work in all languages. Buy your tickets and go inside, cutting off quite a deal of waiting time.

Paris is a walking city and most every visitor I have still remembers the boat ride on the Seine, Notre Dame, Montmarte (which is about a 30min Metro and a bit far if short on time), Eiffel Tower, Tulieres or Luxembourg Gardens stroll and crossing all the bridges, people watching and eating an ice cream from Bethillon on Ile St. Louis. In that regard it is the perfect warm up to the Camino. It is my favorite city in the world and I hope to retire there. The Metro also gets you to all the major train stations for your departure. Line 1/yellow is the tourist line per se as it runs up and down the Seine from Le Marais/Notre Dame/Place de Vosges/Picasso/Pompidou/Musee d'Orsay/Louvre/Tuileries/Church of Madeleine/Concorde/Champs-Elysees, Arc du Triomphe, etc.

Also I felt true anxiety the few days before my Camino in June as it was my first and it turned it after one day of walking I realized it was all for naught. There is a kindness and support system that is incredible and envelopes you and not found in everyday life. One post reminded me that Spain has been serving pilgrims for centuries. They know what to do. They are expecting you. Let me know how I can help....

Last edited:
I am still not sure how I am traveling from Paris on night of Aug 5th or daytime Aug 6th after staying a night or two. I also am a little confused about the beginning from SJDPP to the first overnight. I have several questions. First, is the train from Paris something to take because of nice scenery or if not, or is it worth saving some time to take a night train or bus or fly? I am running out of time for planning and getting a bit scared. Should I book my first night on the Camino and where should that be? Roncesvalles? I have read others talking about various other places so I am a little confused. I would like to know what I should plan on doing upon arriving in SJDPP. Thank you in advance for any help figuring this out!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,

I want to respond and tell you I understand your anxiety. The train is roughly 4 hours from Gare (station) Montparnesse in Paris to Biarritz. I haven't taken that particular train but I don't think the issue is really scenic but how much time you have and what hour you wish to arrive in SJPP. International travel is exhausting. When you land in CDG in Paris, you will have to go through customs from the international terminal and pick up any baggage you may have (hopefully none). If you arrive in Paris on an early flight and just want to get to SJPP, then perhaps book a flight to Biarritz on Air France (or another carrier) that leaves that afternoon, that day. I would give myself at least 2 hours lag time. 3 would be safer and less stressful. CDG is a very big airport with a lot of walking, shopping and eating. You will have to leave one terminal (most likely 2F, international) and transfer to another terminal (most likely 2E,domestic/within europe) to take the second Air France (or other carrier) flight to Biarritz. That transfer is at a minimum 30 minutes and that is not counting any lines at customs. My transfer to Madrid was an hour and they had to hold the plane both to and from. I will never do that short of a connecting flight agian. The Paris-Biarritz is a very short flight and if you arrive in the afternoon, you now have about an hourish ride by bus/train/taxi to get to SJPP. (Someone else will get these times right for me.) I would then have booked my place to stay that night - go straight there and crash. I would also try to say 2 nights in SJPP if you do this choice, rather than 1, to give yourself time to adjust.

If you do not fly from CDG to Biarritz the same day and instead decide to take the train or a flight another day, you will go into Paris and stay there. Try to stay near the Montparnesse area if you take the train. You could also go into Paris, spend the night or two, give yourself a day to sightsee and time adjust, then go back to CDG and take the short flight to Biarritz then train/bus/taxi to SJJP.

I have traveled to many countries for work and have done so often alone and for the first time and I know how anxiety-filled it can be in unfamiliar surroundings. For me, I have learned to plan and book everything and not "wing it." That's why I recommended the car service at the airport. It's more to relieve anxiety and feel safer knowing you will be greeted and properly taken to your hotel than anything else.

The first day from SJJP to Roncevalles depends on if you want to stay over night via Valcarlos or via Pyrenees/Orrisson. I would book either one because it is August and busy. Same with Roncevalles. But more can speak to that for you.

My overall impression is your goal is to have a wonderful Camino and alleviate stress for the first few days. It suited me and I think may suit you to have those booked in advance after choosing which method feels right for you. Others are fine winging it, but I am either a woman alone or a woman with a young child alone so I'm not so fine with winging it.

I am sure you will get more advice shortly -but I wanted you to know you are heard and I understand and also that it will work out. Once in SJPP, you will get lots more help and the help will continue each day.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Paris is a lot to see in one day, especially with jet lag on your first day!

If possible, I'd suggest two separate trips. Use the first trip to see the tourist sites and learn how to independently travel in Europe, then plan a second trip to do the Camino. All of your European travel skill learned in the first trip will be very valuable in planning your Camino.

-Paul

Hello,

I re-read this thread with your concerns and this is what I would do:

1. You arrive at CDG from Baltimore, MD at 11:30am. Please factor customs and terminal change. Book a flight to Biarritz via Air France/EasyJet/etc leaving around 2 to 3pm the same day out of CDG. The flight is a little over an hour.

2. Arrive Biarritz and take train/bus to SJPP. This has you arriving in the 5pm range.

3. Pre-book your SJPP lodging on Booking.com or via website for 2 nights. Then you have 1 day in SJPP to adjust, get any credentials you need and just ready yourself for the start of your Camino. There is a hostel albergue that also allows you to stay 2 nights and you can request this as well when you book. They talk about this on their wesbite. http://www.beilari.info/en/our-hostel Booking.com also has several choices for nights on your date.

I think going into Paris and back out of Paris feels like a bit of overload for you if the Camino is your goal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I re-read this thread with your concerns and this is what I would do:

1. You arrive at CDG from Baltimore, MD at 11:30am. Please factor customs and terminal change. Book a flight to Biarritz via Air France/EasyJet/etc leaving around 2 to 3pm the same day out of CDG. The flight is a little over an hour.

2. Arrive Biarritz and take train/bus to SJPP. This has you arriving in the 5pm range.

3. Pre-book your SJPP lodging on Booking.com or via website for 2 nights. Then you have 1 day in SJPP to adjust, get any credentials you need and just ready yourself for the start of your Camino. There is a hostel albergue that also allows you to stay 2 nights and you can request this as well when you book. They talk about this on their wesbite. http://www.beilari.info/en/our-hostel Booking.com also has several choices for nights on your date.

I think going into Paris and back out of Paris feels like a bit of overload for you if the Camino is your goal.
Thank you...Exactly what I was thinking :) !

@AMoore63 I agree with @Katherine Fugate. I love Paris, but it deserves a trip of its own and if your intention is to walk the Camino, then make getting to the Camino your priority. And make that process as easy as possible. You will be coping with jet lag and culture shock. Know that in advance and try to organise things so you have no, or only simple, decisions to make when you arrive. Enjoy St Jean Pied de Port as your introduction to France, and once you start walking you will be fine.

I am still not sure how I am traveling from Paris on night of Aug 5th or daytime Aug 6th after staying a night or two. I also am a little confused about the beginning from SJDPP to the first overnight. I have several questions. First, is the train from Paris something to take because of nice scenery or if not, or is it worth saving some time to take a night train or bus or fly? I am running out of time for planning and getting a bit scared. Should I book my first night on the Camino and where should that be? Roncesvalles? I have read others talking about various other places so I am a little confused. I would like to know what I should plan on doing upon arriving in SJDPP. Thank you in advance for any help figuring this out!

The purpose of taking the train is to get from point A to point B. If your aim is to see the scenery ... get off the train and find a park bench.

You'll have to compare plane train bus options on criteria of price and convenience.

Easy Jet and Air France Hop operate flights from Paris CDG and Paris Orly. Connect Biarritz Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne by Chronoplus bus #14. A problem with flights is they often arrive too late to catch the last train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

There are several SNCF trains per day from Paris to Bayonne leaving from either of Roissy/CDG2, Gare Montparnasse, and Gare de Massy TGV. The train from Bayonne will wait for a late train from Paris.

Flixbus operates buses from Paris to Bayonne. This is the cheapest way to travel.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back