• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking to walk in Spring.

ALKoop

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018)
Being from the southern hemisphere, I have no experience of spring in the northern. I am thinking about starting the Camino Frances around middle of April 2018. What kind of weather can I expect? What temperatures? Is the road more slippery? Is this a busy time on the Camino Frances? Are there other things that this time of year brings that I should consider before fixing this time into my schedule. I'm really looking forward to this experience. I'm sure it will be life changing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Temperatures will vary a lot depending on the part of the route. You should get a good idea of the typical temperature and rainfall patterns by entering various major towns along the way into this website: https://weatherspark.com/ It is fairly safe to assume that you will encounter rain at some point, especially in Galicia. Wise to be prepared for it.

Holy Week and Easter tend to be the opening times for a lot of the smaller albergues which close over the winter. Most places should be open by the time you begin walking and you should avoid the Holy Week crowds which can be large.

Every year can be different so if you prepare, that is have good rain gear. For you & your pack. My year it rained for about 5 days, but by the middle of April it was 30c & just plain beautiful. All I ever needed was a good fleece & rain coat when it snowed going over the Pyrenees & rained going over Ocebrio. I used rain pants when it had continues rain for 3 consecutive days. I also had waterproof gloves that kept my hands warm. Other than that it was plain perfect walking weather.
Buen Camino
Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from 2nd week April this year Leon to Santiago.No rain to speak of the 3 weeks walking,mostly very warm.Very busy over Easter

It can be quite busy over Easter weekend so book in advance if you want to be sure.I walked April this year and the weather was perfect for the whole month

You should get a good idea of the typical temperature and rainfall patterns by entering various major towns along the way into this website: https://weatherspark.com/

Thanks for giving the link to this very useful site! It has complete information even for tiny villages in Spain (click on the map and enlarge it) and is so much easier to use than most of the sites where you have to click through dozens of calendars to get the desired information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked in April 2016 it was cool for the most part. The highest temperature we saw the entire trip was 23C, and we had several mornings with frost. The average daytime high was under 20C in the first few weeks. I had a pair of shorts in my pack, and wore them only in the albergues when I was doing laundry. We saw no rain until we got close to Galicia, then it rained the remainder of the trip.

Based on my experience, and the others who have given you theirs, it should be clear that the weather is actually quite unpredictable in northern Spain in April, and you will get what you get. Three things are certain: Rain, Cold, Wind. I'm just not sure how much of each! As they say, prepare for climate, dress for weather.

Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Mid-April is a beautiful time of year on CF (at least it was in 2015). There was a little snow on the Napoleon route, but it was not too cold. The flowers and scenery were spectacular. There was rain, but no more than there was in June of this year and it was not unbearably hot like it was this summer. There seemed to be more people in April/May than in June, but no problem finding a place to stay until after Sarria. I will share my favorite photo with you of the Camino during spring. :) Buen Camino!IMG_9081 (2).JPG

Mid-April is a beautiful time of year on CF (at least it was in 2015). There was a little snow on the Napoleon route, but it was not too cold. The flowers and scenery were spectacular. There was rain, but no more than there was in June of this year and it was not unbearably hot like it was this summer. There seemed to be more people in April/May than in June, but no problem finding a place to stay until after Sarria. I will share my favorite photo with you of the Camino during spring. :) Buen Camino!View attachment 36321
Hi Julie and Peter ,
In 2015 I started at the 18th of April in SJPdP and as you sad there was some snow on the Napoleon route .
The only hole day we had rain was the day we walked to Burgos .
Fore the rest we had a great Camino .

Wish you well , Peter .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back