Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking to walk mid Sept 2010

philj66

Camino Primitivo
As a novice pilgrim I would appreciate any advice, although I am quite fit and consider I am able to manage a fair daily distance I have no experience of this walk. I would like details of best start point and how to get there,what guide routes if any are needed, is it OK to turn up at the various overnight accommodations or pre book some? any neccessary things I need for the journey etc.
If there is anyone else considering walking at this time in 2010?
PhilJ

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi PhilJ
I walked from Santander to Santiago via the Primitivo in May this year. The only places I phoned ahead were in Llanes because of the Mayday bankholiday and to a Pension in Arca because of the sheer numbers of peregrinos on the Frances. Have a look at my pics and comments at :-
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/20 ... chive.html
Remember that because it is a 'Blog' it runs from the end to the beginning so to speak!
I used the CSJ guide plus any updates that I could get hold of:-
http://www.csj.org.uk/route-camino-primitivo.htm
Many folk begin the Primitivo in Oviedo. However, depending on the time available I feel it would be better to start on the Norte and get limbered up before the climbs on the Primitivo itself. I am 65 and would consider myself reasonably fit. My pilgrimage was the first 'long walk' that I have done and it was everything that I could have wished . . . and more! Look round the posts on this forum and ask whatever you like - someone will know the answer. Above all don't be put off!! If you feel called to the Primitivo - go for it!

Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

Hi, PhilJ,

I am a real cheerleader for the Camino Primitivo, I walked it about a year ago and it was absolutely wonderful.

If you are in good shape and used to long distances, and if you have the time, you could start in Leon. Leon to Oviedo, on the Camino del Salvador, is 4 days of spectacular walking. The second and third day are a little rough, but just incredible. Then on from Oviedo to Santiago on the Primitivo.

As Terry indicates, there's also a possibility of starting a few days before Oviedo on the Camino del Norte. The Camino del Norte splits in Villaviciosa, one branch stays up on the coast and continutes on the Norte path, the other takes a two day detour down to Oviedo where you can hook up with the Primitivo. I have also walked the Norte, and it too has an awful lot of beautiful scenery. There's lots of good recent forum information on that route as well.

So when you ask where to start, I guess it depends on how many days you want to be walking. If you're in shape and used to long distances, Oviedo to Santiago will probably take 11 or 12 days.

I used the Confraternity guide, and thought it was fine for the Primitivo, less fine for the Norte. We never made advance reservations and never had a problem, but maybe we were just lucky.

Buen camino -- Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back