• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looks good on paper but......

DharmaBum

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2017
Hello everyone -
I will be in Hendaye on the French/Spanish border during the first week of May to attend a wedding.
After which i want to walk a modified Camino Ingles.
So my plan so far "on paper" is:
Hendaye - Irun (walk)
Irun - A Coruna (train and/or bus) - a very long 10 hrs or so
A Coruna - Bruma (walk)
Bruma - Ferrol (bus)
Ferrol - Santiago (walk)
Does anyone see something i haven't taken into consideration or have any suggestions?
What's that quote? "All the best laid plans of mice and men (pilgrims)"
Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why walking Coruna to Bruma? Then busing Bruma to ferrol?

Why not bus Irun to either Bilbao or Gijon? You can (should be able to) bus from those places to Ferrol. Then start your walk.

Or bus Coruna to Ferrol?

Way you have it you will hit bruma twice.

You may have your reasons for wanting to walk Coruna to Bruma??

If have time ride the FEVE train Bilbao>Ferrol. Or Gijon to Ferrol.

Why walking Coruna to Bruma? Then busing Bruma to ferrol?

Why not bus Irun to either Bilbao or Gijon? You can (should be able to) bus from those places to Ferrol. Then start your walk.

Or bus Coruna to Ferrol?

Way you have it you will hit bruma twice.

You may have your reasons for wanting to walk Coruna to Bruma??

If have time ride the FEVE train Bilbao>Ferrol. Or Gijon to Ferrol.
The Ingles has two "starting points" (A Coruna and Ferrol) - both of which have "same same but different" aspects to their beauty. The Ingles being a rather short camino and me having more than enough time, i want to take advantage of walking both options (kind of like having two pints of different beer brands in front of you and trying both of them).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Ingles has two "starting points" (A Coruna and Ferrol) - both of which have "same same but different" aspects to their beauty. The Ingles being a rather short camino and me having more than enough time, i want to take advantage of walking both options (kind of like having two pints of different beer brands in front of you and trying both of them).

Ok. Great idea and wonderful thing to do.

Growing up in Ferrol, I love the Ingles.

I go up to Ferrol once or twice a year.

I should also walk from Coruna.

I will walk the Ingles again. But not on the “new” route.

There is much to see and do around Ferrol.

Shame so many arrive and walk out the next day.

Ok. Great idea and wonderful thing to do.

Growing up in Ferrol, I love the Ingles.

I go up to Ferrol once or twice a year.

I should also walk from Coruna.

I will walk the Ingles again. But not on the “new” route.

There is much to see and do around Ferrol.

Shame so many arrive and walk out the next day.
I was originally going to start just from A Coruna but saw photos from the Ferrol route on this forum and that made me rethink my plan. When i realized that both routes met at Bruma...well i knew where i was bound.

I was originally going to start just from A Coruna but saw photos from the Ferrol route on this forum and that made me rethink my plan. When i realized that both routes met at Bruma...well i knew where i was bound.

Another thing is that walking from A Coruna is too short in km if you do want a Compostela. Starting in Ferrol meets that requirement.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bus Bruma Ferrol
From Meson do Vento to Betanzos only one 10:50 from Mondays to Fridays, and there another one to Ferrol.
More buses even weekends from MdV to Coruña and there to Ferrol (longer trip).

I agree with the folk who have said get the Feve train from mid Norte route e.g. close to Muros de Nalon or Bilbao as has been said. It goes directly to Ferrol and appears to hug a rugged coastline so surely must be spectacular. Can't quite get my head around your double strafing point. Would be grateful for a pointer to the post which explains how to avoid the new road bound Ingles.

I did both and enjoyed them very much! You can see my journey, and how I took the bus from Mesón do Vento - not Bruma, back to A Coruña, first with Monbus, then Arriva bus line from A Coruña to Ferrol. It is a 2.3 km walk from the albergue in Bruma to the bus stop in Mesón do Vento. Or you can walk on the highway from As Travesas to Mesón do Vento and shave off a km or two. Click here to see my article on the logistics.

We also split the stage from A Coruña to Bruma, staying in Sergude halfway. There is a nice albergue there after 20 km or so, and then a short stage to Bruma which gives you ample time to pick up a midday bus and with the transfer, arrive in Ferrol for the evening. It made for a nice transition for us. Day One out of A Coruña is very industrious and we were very glad to have done the stage to Bruma in 2 days. It is a lot of climbing up and down from sea level! 30 km all the way to Bruma would have been extremely tiresome!

Also, the signage coming out of A Coruña is tricky, but I have heard that is is being or has been improved. I have included our GPS tracks in the Day One article, because we DID get lost through here. And no one in town seems to know where the Camino is!

While Ferrol is a lovely town, I preferred A Coruña with its lovely beaches, a castle, etc. Of course, I wrote an article on it too!

Have a lovely journey. You will enjoy it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also, I did the old Inglés in 2015 and the new one in 2017, from Ferrol. While I loved the old route, I may be only one that didn't mind the new one, except the stretch along a frontage road to a highway heading into Sigüeiro on the last stage before SdC. I hated that section! You walk on a lot of forest roads now instead of secondary paved roads. I believe if you search this forum you can still find the GPS tracks from the old. The changes are many more than just the stretch to the Bar Julia and Bruma, so unless you are a good navigator/map reader, you may find it a challenge to go the old way. If you want the GPS from the old route, I can try to dig it up in my files. I think I have it somewhere.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is my GPS track of the old route from Presedo to Bruma (2016) which bypasses Bar Julia:

I would think about missing the walk from A Coruna to Hospital de Bruma, and walk only from Ferrol to Santiago.

The A Coruna route is fearsomely uphill, and the walk through the suburbs of A Coruna isn't exactly pleasant.

If you take the train to A Coruna, I would spend a day there instead. Lovely city, and the old Roman lighthouse / Tower of Hercules is superb. My view of Ferrol (sorry @martyseville) was that it is drab, compared to A Coruna.

Also, the train journey from A Coruna to Ferrol is more pleasant than the bus, and from Betanzos, takes you backwards along much of the Ingles route.

Or consider what others above have said, and go straight to Ferrol, but on the very picturesque Feve train (you could do a day trip from Ferrol to A Coruna if you have time).

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back