• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looong Toronto Layover

Shawnasong

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hello Dear Peregrinos!
I am so excited to start the travel section of this camino journey on Sept. 6th. I am arriving in Toronto at 9:00 pm and do not leave for Madrid until nearly 7:00 pm the following evening. I am looking for help with making an overnight plan...
Do you live there and are willing to take in a traveler for the night, arriving a bit late?
Do you know someone who would be willing?
Does that airport have a place where travelers can sprawl for a night?
Any other ideas?
I have looked on airbnb and found a couple of places within a half hour to the airport, so that's an option too. I have never used airbnb before, so testing the waters for other ideas too.
I will have a sleep pad and sleeping bag with me, so I can always hunker down in a corner of the airport, I guess. I've never been there, so maybe that's not really okay...
Thank you in advance for your responses!
Shawna

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are hotels available close to Toronto Airport complete with shuttle service to and from. Do yourself a favour.

Toronto Airport is very busy. You will find it hard to sleep undisturbed even if you do find a relatively untrammeled corner to roll out your bag.

I'm not sure I want to know why you are traveling from Costa Rica to Madrid via Toronto ... and why you selected flights with such a long layover ... but I'm sure there is a good reason.

Is there any way you can change the arrangements so you don't have such a long layover?

Hi: Toronto has a big international airport with three terminals, so there are lots of hotels close by. You can get free shuttles to and from the airport to most of those hotels. Spending 24 hours in that airport does not sound like much fun to me.

Since you are arriving late this might not be an option, but there is a direct rail link from the airport to the train station in downtown Toronto. I think it costs about $20. If you have never been to Toronto, and since you have so much time available, it's worth a stroll around the downtown for a few hours.

Good luck on your journey!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a designated rest area in Terminal 1 (http://www.sleepinginairports.net/northamerica/toronto-airport.htm) which I found quiet enough for a good night's sleep a few years ago. They also have free wi-fi.

Others have suggested that you head into town to look around, and I would second that-- there are some very agreeable restaurants and cafés in Toronto, and a few museums worth a look-- the Art Gallery of Ontario is currently doing a Lawren Harris show curated by (of all people) Steve Martin.

That airport is fine, but I wouldn't want to spend 20 h there if I could avoid it. Even if you decide to snooze there for the night, try to get out early in the morning. Another route to downtown is to take the Kipling Express Bus 192 to Kipling Subway Station and then take the subway downtown. Walk around for a few hours but be sure to get back to the airport in plenty of time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What C clearly said. When I travel to TO (often) I take the 192 Airport Rocket to Kipling then to my accommodation. It's $3.00 CAD and fast. You'll need to be at the airport at least two hours before your flight, but the last time I was there the security was extremely backed up. I got there almost 3 hours before my flight but spent over an hour in the security line. Long weekend...
There is a lot to do in Toronto to entertain yourself. If you've forgotten anything that you want to take on the Camino, you can take the subway to King Street Station (one station stop after Union, where the bus and train station/terminals are) and go to Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). You'll have to buy a membership--$5--but that's a lifetime membership. It's a real c0-op and has the best hiking gear.

Thanks everyone. Since you asked, whari, I found a round trip flight from Costa Rica to Madrid for $465...the caveat being that I go to Toronto for a million hours first. Other than that fluke of a ticket, prices are well over a thousand dollars, at least when I was buying. So, it feels worth it to have a little Canadian adventure first.
Again, thanks peregrinos!
Shawna

HI Shawna,
I live in Mississauga, which is a suburb of Toronto and actually where the airport is. Please PM me. We would be happy to host you during your lay over and show you around a bit.
Diane

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks everyone. Since you asked, whari, I found a round trip flight from Costa Rica to Madrid for $465...the caveat being that I go to Toronto for a million hours first. Other than that fluke of a ticket, prices are well over a thousand dollars, at least when I was buying. So, it feels worth it to have a little Canadian adventure first.
Again, thanks peregrinos!
Shawna
@Shawnasong
I too shall be flying through Toronto on the way to my camino next month. For some reason, the airline that I booked with has given me less than an hour and a half to change planes in Toronto. I would be very anxious about this, if it were not that I am taking my backpack as carry-on. Congratulations on your bargain fare and buen camino.

Buen Camino, Albertagirl!
I am blessed already by a Camino Angel by the name of Diane!
You guys, I love this forum! I get so much out of reading the threads...I feel connected to the spirit of the Camino already.
I feel so happy that I made the choice to answer the call when I heard it a few months ago.
Shawna

@Shawnasong
I too shall be flying through Toronto on the way to my camino next month. For some reason, the airline that I booked with has given me less than an hour and a half to change planes in Toronto. I would be very anxious about this, if it were not that I am taking my backpack as carry-on. Congratulations on your bargain fare and buen camino.
Hi, with carry on and no customs, you'll be fine. Are you flying in and out of terminal 3? I don't even think you need to go through security when you have a connecting flight but not sure.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, with carry on and no customs, you'll be fine. Are you flying in and out of terminal 3? I don't even think you need to go through security when you have a connecting flight but not sure.
Buen Camino.
@Diane Kinney
I don't know what terminal I am flying out of. I arrive on Westjet and fly out on Air France. But the last time that I flew on an international flight with checked baggage it was from Calgary to Auckland with a change in Vancouver. Westjet was half an hour late in Vancouver for a two hour layover time and my luggage missed the flight. I wasn't able to collect it in Auckland for a month of my five week holiday. So I regard a too short layover time as potentially more serious than a too long time and avoid checking baggage if possible. I do not anticipate any problems this time because I have no checked baggage and the airline that I booked with (oddly enough, KLM) is responsible to get me where I am going. Still, flying seems to be getting more stressful all the time. I hope for the best.

Hello Dear Peregrinos!
I am so excited to start the travel section of this camino journey on Sept. 6th. I am arriving in Toronto at 9:00 pm and do not leave for Madrid until nearly 7:00 pm the following evening. I am looking for help with making an overnight plan...
Shawna

That is a great price to travel to Spain from Costa Rica! We flew from Toronto via Air Canada's inaugural direct flight to Madrid on their new 767 and it was quite pleasant, for our Camino in June (I assume that you are on the same AC flight based on your 7pm departure. Toronto Pearson https://www.torontopearson.com/ is one of Canada's busiest airports. As others have stated, there are lots of "airport strip" hotels within 5km of the airport serviced by shuttles. You'd be comfortable but with little else to do there. Or, you could take the Union-Pearson Express https://www.upexpress.com for $CDN 24 and be downtown in 25 minutes and see the sights. Any of the following attractions would be a wonderful intro to Toronto: The Art Gallery of Ontario (featuring the Lawren Harris exhibit of Cdn art curated by Steve Martin, yes THAT Steve Martin!), The Royal Ontario Museum, Nathan Phillips Square, Bata Shoe Museum, The Distillery District, or maybe just take a ride up the CN Tower to see the whole city, overlooking Lake Ontario, from way up high. On a clear day, you can see the plume of Niagara Falls, 40+km across the Lake, from up top. Or you might like Queen Street west or King Street for shopping, Toronto home of MEC (as mentioned by another in this forum) for great hiking gear. Being September, the end of summer, there would likely be many "deals" on either airport or downtown hotels.
But, as others have mentioned, you need to be back to Pearson 2 1/2 to 3 hours before your flight, as it can be quite busy. We checked in online using Air Canada's iPhone App, had our boarding passes, printed our baggage tags and dropped them at the bag drop and were lucky, as the security line was moving quite quickly, and we had well over an hour to spare, and treated ourselves to an enjoyable meal (a little pricey as expected at an airport).
Toronto is my home town, although I now live farther west. I see that others have provided other great suggestions and they are all good. I also noted that fellow peregrinos have also offered accommodation, in the true spirit of the Camino!
Buen Camino! and enjoy your brief layover in Toronto, one of the top 5 cities in the world to live!

Last edited:
Hello:
Most people I know facing a long lay over in Toronto catch a flight to Vancouver and spend the time there and return the next day.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello:
Most people I know facing a long lay over in Toronto catch a flight to Vancouver and spend the time there and return the next day.

John
Spoken like a true west coaster. But in truth I am flying back from China in November and do hope I have a long enough lay over in Vancouver to get downtown.

WestJet and Air France, not being members of Star Alliance, e.g. Air Canada, are at T3. Confirm the Terminals at https://www.torontopearson.com/
@Rod Murray
Thanks, Rod. I booked with KLM and they have recently got back to me with terminal information. In and out in terminal three. The time is still very close. Air France wants me to be checked in one hour before they fly, which amounts to about 20 min. after the plane is scheduled to land. However, I am sure that it will all work out, as there is no need to go through security and I will not have checked baggage.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, can't you check in online and get your boarding pass prior to leaving Calgary? Most airlines will let you check in and print boarding passes up to 24 hours prior to departure. If you need to check in at the desk in Toronto to get your boarding pass, you will need to leave the secure area and then go through security again. If you have you boarding pass for the Toronto to Europe leg before hand you need only go to the gate and present it with your passport when boarding. This assumes you are still able to do carryon.
Do you have a Nexus Card? If you do bring it. It does not replace your passport but it does expedite security.
And if time is tight let the Westjet flight crew know as they will let usually you deplane first.
Buen Camino

Hi, can't you check in online and get your boarding pass prior to leaving Calgary? Most airlines will let you check in and print boarding passes up to 24 hours prior to departure. If you need to check in at the desk in Toronto to get your boarding pass, you will need to leave the secure area and then go through security again. If you have you boarding pass for the Toronto to Europe leg before hand you need only go to the gate and present it with your passport when boarding. This assumes you are still able to do carryon.
Do you have a Nexus Card? If you do bring it. It does not replace your passport but it does expedite security.
And if time is tight let the Westjet flight crew know as they will let usually you deplane first.
Buen Camino
@Diane Kinney
Thank you. I don't think I need boarding passes, as I have my ipad and I think KLM will give me an electronic pass, but I am just a little concerned about the short connection time. I suppose that I am focussing some of my last minute anxiety on this, but I am grateful for the helpful posts of those familiar with current airline procedures. I was thinking that checking in in Toronto had something to do with actually being there, but perhaps not. I think that all will be well one way or another, as all my airline bookings are with KLM.

@Diane Kinney
Thank you. I don't think I need boarding passes, as I have my ipad and I think KLM will give me an electronic pass, but I am just a little concerned about the short connection time. I suppose that I am focussing some of my last minute anxiety on this, but I am grateful for the helpful posts of those familiar with current airline procedures. I was thinking that checking in in Toronto had something to do with actually being there, but perhaps not. I think that all will be well one way or another, as all my airline bookings are with KLM.

You should be fine and I really find Westjet staff super helpful; they will direct those with connecting flights to the right place.
And let's face it, if you weren't stressing about this, it would be some other Camino worry. Funny that when you take the first step once you are there, how unimportant any of those worries become.
Enjoy your Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Diane Kinney

We were in a similar situation in June when arriving in Madrid. We'd already booked our Toronto-Madrid tickets in January, then decided to go to Barcelona first, before starting our Camino. We booked 2 cheap tickets from Madrid to Barcelona, on Vueling, with a 3 hour lay over. Weeks after booking them, they emailed to say that our flight was rescheduled, with only 2 hours layover, to retrieve baggage, clear customs, and get the shuttle from Madrid T1 to T4...we were quite anxious and our emails to Vueling were acknowledged but did not get the response we were looking for...This was our first Camino lesson, take everything as it comes, be a traveler, not a tourist. As it turned out, our Air Canada flight arrived early, we picked up our bags in less than 20 minutes, cleared customs in short order, located the free T4 shuttle, arrived at T4 in 15 minutes, checked in at Vueling, with almost an hour to spare...lesson learned. Worry about only the things we can control. Barcelona for the start of our 3 weeks in Spain!
Toronto T3 is not that complicated and you should be able to get from your Westjet flight to your Air France flight in due time. Just make sure you have your electronic boarding passes and you won't have to stop and check in with AF. Here's the map https://www.torontopearson.com/maps/#
Buen Camino!

We were in a similar situation in June when arriving in Madrid. We'd already booked our Toronto-Madrid tickets in January, then decided to go to Barcelona first, before starting our Camino. We booked 2 cheap tickets from Madrid to Barcelona, on Vueling, with a 3 hour lay over. Weeks after booking them, they emailed to say that our flight was rescheduled, with only 2 hours layover, to retrieve baggage, clear customs, and get the shuttle from Madrid T1 to T4...we were quite anxious and our emails to Vueling were acknowledged but did not get the response we were looking for...This was our first Camino lesson, take everything as it comes, be a traveler, not a tourist. As it turned out, our Air Canada flight arrived early, we picked up our bags in less than 20 minutes, cleared customs in short order, located the free T4 shuttle, arrived at T4 in 15 minutes, checked in at Vueling, with almost an hour to spare...lesson learned. Worry about only the things we can control. Barcelona for the start of our 3 weeks in Spain!
Toronto T3 is not that complicated and you should be able to get from your Westjet flight to your Air France flight in due time. Just make sure you have your electronic boarding passes and you won't have to stop and check in with AF. Here's the map https://www.torontopearson.com/maps/#
Buen Camino!
@Rod Murray
Thank you. I appreciate the terminal map. It has helped me to get oriented and shown me that I will have a fair chance picking up something to eat in the terminal on my way to my boarding gate. There is apparently no evening meal on my overnight flight - just breakfast. The older I get, the more I hate flying. But then, it is becoming quite inexpensive, so I can afford to go on camino more often. I might as well assume that all will go well (until I learn otherwise). Blessings to you in all your journeys.

... We booked 2 cheap tickets from Madrid to Barcelona, on Vueling, with a 3 hour lay over. Weeks after booking them, they emailed to say that our flight was rescheduled, with only 2 hours layover, to retrieve baggage, clear customs, and get the shuttle from Madrid T1 to T4...we were quite anxious and our emails to Vueling were acknowledged but did not get the response we were looking for...
Addendum - Hilarious! Just got an email from Vueling airlines yesterday apologizing for not responding to my email 5 months ago!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back