• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Los Angeles to SJPP mid-June 2016

Dan Hess

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2016)
We are a couple walking our first Camino, intending to begin June 12/13. We're planning on the entire Camino Frances.

My question revolves around getting to SJPP. There are a myriad of possibilities, but the general recommendation seems to be to fly into Madrid. From there, what are your experiences/preferred way of getting from Madrid to SJPP? Train, bus, private carriage company?

Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are a couple walking our first Camino, intending to begin June 12/13. We're planning on the entire Camino Frances.

My question revolves around getting to SJPP. There are a myriad of possibilities, but the general recommendation seems to be to fly into Madrid. From there, what are your experiences/preferred way of getting from Madrid to SJPP? Train, bus, private carriage company?

Thanks in advance!
Many do go via Madrid, but I went from Victoria BC to Paris, then a little plane to Bayonne, stayed overnight to recuperate and in the morning took the train to SJPdP. That put me in St Jean fresh the next morning and ready to check in and start walking. I did this in Sept 2014 and am contemplating returning in June this year, but haven't firmed up any plans yet. Its a wonderful journey, best wishes to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks in advance!

Dan:

My preference is to take the train to Pamplona from Puerta de Atocha station. Once in Pamplona you have the option to take a bus to SJPdP, join others in sharing a cab, have an arrangement with Corazonpuro or even just start from Pamplona.

Transportation to Puerta de Atocha can be done by cab outside of any terminal for approx. 30 euros or you can take the Cercanias train from the lower level of Terminal 4. If you arrive on Iberia, you will be in T4 and just need to go to lower level. should you arrive on another carrier you could be in T1 and will need to catch the airport bus to T4.

Once at T4 you also have the choice to travel by bus from T4 to Pamplona.

There are also flights to Pamplona from Madrid airport.

You could also take one of any other points of ingress and egress to Europe. Some like to take the opportunity to see London, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid or one of the other interesting European cities.

There are lots of options.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum!

If you decide to travel via Madrid and Pamplona, this place is recommended by many forum members: http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Buen Camino to you both.
Hi Dan,
We did this option last Sept 2015, we took the train from Madrid to Pamplona. In Pamplona, the owner of Corazon Puro picked us up and we stayed at his place for the night. The next morning he drove us to SJPP, all for 43E. I highly recommend Corazon Puro.

Hi Dan,
We did this option last Sept 2015, we took the train from Madrid to Pamplona. In Pamplona, the owner of Corazon Puro picked us up and we stayed at his place for the night. The next morning he drove us to SJPP, all for 43E. I highly recommend Corazon Puro.
I definitely ditto the choice for the Corazon Puro folks, but keep in mind they don't do pickups at the train station after 3pm. They are wonderful hosts and the best bargain to be had. I can also say the same for Beilari in St. Jean. Wish you Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last year, I flew into Pamplona PNA and out of Santiago SCQ for about the same price as flying into Madrid. I've found that ticket prices out of L.A. area are cheaper into Spain than France. I think it has to do with airport taxes. I also think the airport taxes are less in the smaller airports. This year, I was able to find a really good fare out of Ontario, California to San Sebastian EAS. From San Sebastian, you could take a quick trip to Biarritz, then train to SJPdP.

If you decide to take the train, which is what I prefer you can take the Big Yellow Express bus directly from the airport terminal to Atocha. It costs 5 euro and goes back and forth every 20 minutes or so. Very easy. From Atocha train station you can get a direct train to Pamplona. I have not used Corozon Puro but based on everthing I have read I will the next time I walk from SJPP. A taxi from Pamplona can easily cost 80-100 euros which is what I paid. During the season there is also a bus ALSA is the name of the bus company that goes from Pamplona to SJPP. Corazon Puro still sounds like a better deal. Once in SJPP I would highly recommend walking 8k up the mountain and spending the night at Orisson. 8K sounds like not big deal but it seemed to me that it was a hard straight up the hill 8k and I was very happy to stay at Orisson. The next day it's still 19k to Roncesvalles. You will need reservations at Orisson and will need to pre pay your stay. You can find them on the web. They are a little slow to respond but it is worth the trouble. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back