• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Loss of muscle tone

Tony Bobcat

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hello everyone
Finished my first Camino 5 months ago, back home and realising that I seem to have lost a lot of muscle tone in my upper body. I am usually very physical and have never had this problem before, does it only take 5 weeks to lose the strength. Has anyone else experienced the same. Cheers Tony

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
does it only take 5 weeks to lose the strength.

It does`nt just take 5 weeks: I did Malaga to A Coruna in that time, starting as a keen runner and with few body reserves. I had intended to run the camino, but a knee injury made me realise that this ambition was beyond me, but I could walk it. Two days in, I realised how ill prepared I was - only May, but road surface temperatures were sufficient to cause my feet to swell so much that only the purchase of trail shoes two sizes larger ( Merrills, great shoes! Unsolicited testimonial!) brought eventual relief. As a competitive runner, I had supposed walking would be tame. My first fellow pilgrim companion had just completed the Portugues, and he thrashed me - there`s running fitness and there`s walking fitness and they are not the same. There were muscles that I had rarely used that were suddenly being called on deck, and they were found wanting. For several weeks.

On my return I was horrified to find I had lost 5 kgs , which I could ill afford. My gym instructor gave me a programme of muscle regeneration and another 10 weeks saw the status quo ante restored. The muscle memory is apparently there and exercise will restore the loss.

The following year I had my knee injury operated on - meniscus tears trimmed by keyhole surgery. Relatively non-invasive but nevertheless disruptive to normal physical progression. In the three weeks post operation, resting but not crutch-supported, I lost 5 kgs again! The surgeon told me I was his first patient to complain of weight loss - most complained of putting on weight. But I could see an obvious atrophy of the thigh muscles, which, a year later, has still not been completely restored.

Am I drawing any conclusions from this ramble? Well, I think firstly that a Camino is not just a walk in the parque. It`s a tough physical ordeal relieved by myriad experiences of the way, perhaps better appreciated by the mind than by the body. The muscles that are`nt being used are going to be sacrificed for those that are obliged to work. If, as I fervently hope, I can do another camino (Via Serrana, ojala?) I shall make sure this time to do my morning and evening press-ups!

Hello everyone
Finished my first Camino 5 months ago, back home and realising that I seem to have lost a lot of muscle tone in my upper body. I am usually very physical and have never had this problem before, does it only take 5 weeks to lose the strength. Has anyone else experienced the same. Cheers Tony

If you are referring to the loss of conditioning -- as opposed to a degenerative process -- it takes less than a week to begin losing conditioning when one stops a conditioning or exercise regimen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It does`nt just take 5 weeks: I did Malaga to A Coruna in that time, starting as a keen runner and with few body reserves. I had intended to run the camino, but a knee injury made me realise that this ambition was beyond me, but I could walk it. Two days in, I realised how ill prepared I was - only May, but road surface temperatures were sufficient to cause my feet to swell so much that only the purchase of trail shoes two sizes larger ( Merrills, great shoes! Unsolicited testimonial!) brought eventual relief. As a competitive runner, I had supposed walking would be tame. My first fellow pilgrim companion had just completed the Portugues, and he thrashed me - there`s running fitness and there`s walking fitness and they are not the same. There were muscles that I had rarely used that were suddenly being called on deck, and they were found wanting. For several weeks.

On my return I was horrified to find I had lost 5 kgs , which I could ill afford. My gym instructor gave me a programme of muscle regeneration and another 10 weeks saw the status quo ante restored. The muscle memory is apparently there and exercise will restore the loss.

The following year I had my knee injury operated on - meniscus tears trimmed by keyhole surgery. Relatively non-invasive but nevertheless disruptive to normal physical progression. In the three weeks post operation, resting but not crutch-supported, I lost 5 kgs again! The surgeon told me I was his first patient to complain of weight loss - most complained of putting on weight. But I could see an obvious atrophy of the thigh muscles, which, a year later, has still not been completely restored.

Am I drawing any conclusions from this ramble? Well, I think firstly that a Camino is not just a walk in the parque. It`s a tough physical ordeal relieved by myriad experiences of the way, perhaps better appreciated by the mind than by the body. The muscles that are`nt being used are going to be sacrificed for those that are obliged to work. If, as I fervently hope, I can do another camino (Via Serrana, ojala?) I shall make sure this time to do my morning and evening press-ups!

Fully agree Rob, I might have to start doing some weights. Cheers Tony

If you are referring to the loss of conditioning -- as opposed to a degenerative process -- it takes less than a week to begin losing conditioning when one stops a conditioning or exercise regimen.
Hi Davebugg I’m an ex panel beater that since the age of fifteen have always used my upper body.
I am 60 yrs of age, I exercise regularly and spend most of my weekend gardening. Since returning from the Camino and having 3 months off I find it difficult to hold the garden hedger for long periods of time. Hopefully in time it will return but still not at this stage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm confused about what you think the cause of your muscle tone is. You mention 5 weeks (the time it took you to walk?), and that you have been home 5 months. Did you lose upper body muscle on the Camino or after?
Hi trecil
All up I had 3 months holidays, once the Camino was over I realised that I lost a lot of weight.
My wife met me straight after the Camino and was amazed on how much I shrunk around my shoulders, all the weight loss has been gained but the muscle tone has not returned. Cheers Tony

Unfortunately, it happens faster the older you get. There are remedies, however, including going back and doing a different route :)
Hi backpack45
I am going back same time next year,this time my wife will join me.
There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t thought about the Camino. Cheers Tony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone
Tony, did you use walking poles? I thought I would lose a lot of my judo conditioning but my pushup ability was definitely on the higher side despite not doing them for 6 weeks. I think swinging those sticks made the difference. I did not loss weight but I certainly leaned out apart from my calf muscles that completely bulked up.

Tony, did you use walking poles? I thought I would lose a lot of my judo conditioning but my pushup ability was definitely on the higher side despite not doing them for 6 weeks. I think swinging those sticks made the difference. I did not loss weight but I certainly leaned out apart from my calf muscles that completely bulked up.
Hi Donna
I did use walking pole ans swear by them,in my opinion it’s a combination of age (60) and not using my upper part of my body muscles. Cheers Tony

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take up Nordic walking. Learn how to use the specially designed poles correctly and exercise your upper body as well as the lower half.
Hi Fleur
Thanks for your advise I agree that Nordicwalking will help, just need a free weekend to go hiking. Cheers Tony

Since returning from my Camino a year ago, I've tried to walk 3-6 miles daily. This has kept my lower body toned. I have tried to keep my upper body toned by doing planking exercises and over the shoulder weight lifting. It has helped some but definitely lost a bit of muscle tone. I lost 10 lbs on the Camino and unfortunately have gained most of it back.

Such encouraging news to hear! ...NOT!:(o_O

The good news is that one does not need to maintain the same fitness level they had toward the end of their Camino. You can maintain a lower fitness threshold by routinely exercising at a lower level. That will keep a base level of fitness for you without requiring a lot of time spent exercising. Then, when it is time to ramp up the fitness level in preparation for a Camino or a backpacking trip, for instance, it is quicker and easier to build toward a more optimum fitness level.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The good news is that one does not need to maintain the same fitness level they had toward the end of their Camino. You can maintain a lower fitness threshold by routinely exercising at a lower level. That will keep a base level of fitness for you without requiring a lot of time spent exercising. Then, when it is time to ramp up the fitness level in preparation for a Camino or a backpacking trip, for instance, it is quicker and easier to build toward a more optimum fitness level.

Yes, that is good news.

Hello everyone
They say a week in bed if you are ill you will lose 1kg of muscle. If you are older you may never regain that muscle mass. Perhaps you have only lost tone If I dont ride my bike at least twice a week I feel that my legs and butt dont feel half as tones as they should be. Just an observation.

Since returning from my Camino a year ago, I've tried to walk 3-6 miles daily. This has kept my lower body toned. I have tried to keep my upper body toned by doing planking exercises and over the shoulder weight lifting. It has helped some but definitely lost a bit of muscle tone. I lost 10 lbs on the Camino and unfortunately have gained most of it back.
Hi DragonShadow
I do a lot of walking daily, I need to start doing some weights hopefully that will help. Cheers Tony

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How much of this is nutrition? I made a real effort to ensure I was getting adequate protein and calories as I did not want to drop my weight although I was happy to lean out. Fitness is as much created in the kitchen as out on the road.

They say a week in bed if you are ill you will lose 1kg of muscle. If you are older you may never regain that muscle mass. Perhaps you have only lost tone If I dont ride my bike at least twice a week I feel that my legs and butt dont feel half as tones as they should be. Just an observation.
Hi Kieran
The problem is my age and 3 months of no physical work to upper body.
Cheers Tony

It's age, it's age, it's age! AaaaaaH.

I want:

1. Muscle powder that will help me build muscle as easily as when I was younger
2. Silicone or some other gel that I can inject into my knees and other joints so they slide easily and don't groan
3. Tissue compatible rubber compound that can give me back my bounce
4. Ultra strong and extra smooth silk tissue to replace those worn out grey ligaments and tendons
5. And last, but definitely not least, under-the-skin plumping substance to remove the wrinkles!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How much of this is nutrition? I made a real effort to ensure I was getting adequate protein and calories as I did not want to drop my weight although I was happy to lean out. Fitness is as much created in the kitchen as out on the road.
Hi Donna
You might have something there as my food intake was basic, I will make sure to make some changes next May
It's age, it's age, it's age! AaaaaaH.

I want:

1. Muscle powder that will help me build muscle as easily as when I was younger
2. Silicone or some other gel that I can inject into my knees and other joints so they slide easily and don't groan
3. Tissue compatible rubber compound that can give me back my bounce
4. Ultra strong and extra smooth silk tissue to replace those worn out grey ligaments and tendons
5. And last, but definitely not least, under-the-skin plumbing substance to remove the wrinkles!
Hi Kanga
That’s exactly what I need, when you find it please send some my way.
Cheers Tony

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.