Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Lost Lost and found on the camino...

Discussion in 'Lost and Found on the Camino' started by dgallen, Apr 19, 2017.

1. dgallen

dgallen New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (4), Portuguese, Norte, Primitivo, Aragones, Finisterre (2), Muxia, Caminito del rey (el Chorro)
    Last week I lost my much liked camera between the pilgrims statue in Logrono and the lake park on the outskirts of Logrono. It had the usual Pilgrim photos between St Jean PP and Logrono as well as some shots from back home in Canada, so anyone finding it would know it was a pilgrims camera. I'm actually getting good at losing cameras on the Camino since I lost another in Jaca on the Aragones a number of years back. I did retrace my steps with no luck and "put out a bulletin" on camino radio at the municipal albergue in Navarette, but unfortunately it never turned up :( .

If it was my first camino I would be upset... now it's just dollars,which of course can be replaced. But it sure would be nice that a formal lost+found could be set up along the way, that would receive, tag and even reward those who found items and got them back to their owners (service via post office?).

On the bright side, the weather has been spectacular on the calendar camino this year. Aside from a few drops in SJPP, all sun at the way to Burgos. Just moved up to the Primitivo today and Oviedo also bright and sunny...

HighlandsHiker and Coleen Clark like this.
  2. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Lourdes (11th September 2014) via Piedmont to SJPP,
    then Camino Frances to Santiago de Compostela

Via Francigena, Ramsgate,Canterbury ,England to Rome,
    via France,Switzerland and Italy. April to July 2016
    It may yet turn up ...

Whilst on the CF in 2014, in an Albergue ,the red lens off my small torch became detached during the night... and I couldn't locate it in the morning..
    a fellow pilgrim ( who I had only met that once) enquired what I was searching for , but the lens couldn't be found... and off I went...

11 days later I was breakfasting in a bar, when that pilgrim rushed up to me ' I have something for you he exclaimed ' and then produced from his wallet the small red disc I had lost ' I found this after you left and have been tracking you ever since, hoping to find you and return it... !!'

I was amazed he even recognised me - I still have that disc !!

A story I often tell of the type of good hearted people you meet on the Camino !!

camster, natefaith, FamPed and 4 others like this.
  3. t2andreo

t2andreo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances: April-May 2013 & 2014;
    Madrid: April 2016;
    Portuguese: April - May 2015 & 2017;
    Amigo: June 2014;
    Voluntario: July - August 2015
    Voluntario: July - August 2016
    As we say...and you will learn... Saint James (Santiago) works in strange ways. Sometimes the results are truly weird indeed.

If all else fails, when you arrive at the Pilgrim Office, inquire there. Strange things turn up in the mail, or deposited by Pilgrims who picked them up along the way, every day.

I hope this helps.

natefaith, FamPed and Coleen Clark like this.
  4. Michael Mattalo

Michael Mattalo New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (2017)
    We will be on the lookout for your camera next week :)
    A suggestion I have seen is to purchase Trackr which is a crowd sourced GPS location gizmo. I use it for my golf bag and luggage back here in Canada . . .works like a charm to locate anything lost.

natefaith likes this.
  5. Charles Zammit

Charles Zammit Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Santiago [ June 2017]
    I bought one of these some time ago .
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Security...871602?hash=item280d0128b2:g:HjoAAOSwnipWXP4E

It is a strange little device and a bit quirky but really quite invaluable , especially for the very modest cost .
    I use it when in airports and on public transport , once you turn on both units you set an acceptable separation distance via a small adjusting wheel anything from a few centimetres to three or four metres . When this distance is exceeded the alarm goes off , reminding you that you have left the item behind or that it has been ' removed ' .
    It has another function as a finder , when set to this mode it will sound as you near the lost or misplaced item .
    The batteries will last for a long time especially if only used when required .
    The sender unit is small enough to attach to a camera or mobile phone without it being cumbersome .
    Not the most precise or technical of gadgets , but useful , easy to use and well worth the few dollars it costs .

natefaith and Michael Mattalo like this.
  6. Neoscan

Neoscan New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (Sept 2016)
    Sorry to hear about your lost camera- hopefully it'll somehow turn up! Losing anything is annoying but cameras particularly so, especially if they contain a substantial amount of our 'memories'.

natefaith likes this.
  7. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Camino(s) past & future:

And another useful tip for cameras...

The first picture should be of
    Name
    Contact details ( worldwide)
    - I'd suggest your email
    Or mobile number ,
    Although it could be your home address

Just need to remember to do this with all Memory / internal storage devices ...

Then it makes it easier for the finder to locate you

8. Michael Mattalo

Michael Mattalo New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (2017)
    Awesome Tip! Thanks!

9. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    And on your smart phone as a screen saver. Together with emergency contact person and health insurance contract number and phone number, in case you are found unable to communicate.

Virginia parsons and t2andreo like this.
  10. t2andreo

t2andreo Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances: April-May 2013 & 2014;
    Madrid: April 2016;
    Portuguese: April - May 2015 & 2017;
    Amigo: June 2014;
    Voluntario: July - August 2015
    Voluntario: July - August 2016
    Digital camera memory can be readily erased.

As a second tier, consider a small adhesive contact information label on the outside. Over with clear "scotch" tape to protect the label. If you have a Brother, or similar brand labeling machine, this might work well.

But, the idea of taking a picture with your contact information is still a sound one.

The screen saver idea for a smart phone is brilliant. But it your phone, like mine requires a password or fingerprint to get past a sign-in screen, no one will ever see the screen saver, unless they come along in the first 10-15 seconds after I misplace the phone. :eek:

All said, if someone wants to misappropriate your camera or other device, they will do so. These measures will not impede them. However, these measure WILL assist an honest person, or Santiago, to have the item returned to you.

I hope this helps.

11. Jotown

Jotown New Member

Camino(s) past & future:

Not quite accurate...

On my Smartphone , when locked, there is still the ability for someone to press the 'emergency' button , which brings up the dialler... and , if you've filled it in your medical I'd info, which includes emergency contacts '....

Another way for honest ( the majority ) people to find/ and /or help you

12. Mike Savage

Mike Savage mike-savage.com

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés
    Camino Inglés
    Muxia/Finisterre
    Português da Costa
    Português Central 2017
    Camino Sanabrés 2017
    Camino Inglés 2017
    On my Android phone (and I suspect all phones) I am able to put one line of text on the lock screen. This is enough for my name and email address. This should help if an honest person finds the phone.

13. SanJo

SanJo ♥ Gratitude ♥

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (April & May 2017)
    Will be there in 2 days and will keep an eye out.