• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost and Found QR codes for your gear

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Tile has recently introduced these Lost and Found QR Code Stickers that you can put on things like your phone, credential, prescription glasses case, etc. When someone finds your item they can scan the code for your contact information to return it to you.

Tile qr code stickers.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alternatively, you can create your own stickers. However they probably wouldn't be as sturdy as those sold by Tile.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How is that different from just writing your details on a tag?
It's not really different, but it seems that these tags from Tile are more indestructible than writing on a paper tag of some sort. Plus it would be easy to just slap them on things rather than write it out on each item.

I suppose. But one of my pet hates since the pandemic is going into a cafe/bar/restaurant and you have to use a QR code to look at the menu. Not everyone, even those with smartphones are able and willing to do this. If I found something with a QR code I wouldn't look it up. It's more trouble than it's worth to me. If the contact details were visible it would be easier.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great idea! I believe most lost items are a case of mistaken identity or packing mishaps, so this would clear things up pretty quickly. I love that Spain, at least the parts of the camino where I have been since the pandemic, still uses the QR codes for menus - no more icky sticky menu books and also quicker to update, saving the business money.

If I lose something of value I want to make it as easy, simple, and economical as possible for the person finding it to contact me. I don't want to provide the finder with excuses for not doing so, such as requiring costly equipment and additional steps to identify the owner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tile has recently introduced these Lost and Found QR Code Stickers that you can put on things like your phone, credential, prescription glasses case, etc. When someone finds your item they can scan the code for your contact information to return it to you.

View attachment 133952

Great idea. Although I had a bespoke name tag with phone number on my jacket that went missing this week. 😅
How is that different from just writing your details on a tag?
And my jacket still hasn't come back despite such info 😅

Several years ago, I seem to remember being warned not to make too much information available on the outside of one’s luggage for concerns of being too much of a target for thieves and terrorists. I always put my name and number inside my luggage, but only my name on the outside.

So when I travel from USA on intercontinental flight I still minimize identifying information. I ‘ll take my chances with lost luggage.

Several years ago, I seem to remember being warned not to make too much information available on the outside of one’s luggage for concerns of being too much of a target for thieves and terrorists. I always put my name and number inside my luggage, but only my name on the outside.

So when I travel from USA on intercontinental flight I still minimize identifying information. I ‘ll take my chances with lost luggage.
I believe the DIY video above is from a company that also allows you to upgrade your QR codes in order to hide the contact information on your labels and have people chat with you privately/anonymously if they find your lost thing. To me, that's a bonus as I don't want my information always displayed (in the case of Tile) when the QR code is scanned. Useful for travel scenarios

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.