• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost and Found

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
There have been many threads regarding the safety and security of backpacks and other luggage along the various routes of the Camino. In spite of all the advice that's been given, we let our guard down just once and paid the price. Here's what happened to us when our backpacks were stolen on our last day in Santiago. Without re-hashing the details of how and where they were stolen, suffice it to say that the story does have a happy ending, and that's what this post is really about.

Through the diligent efforts of a great friend of the Camino, the gentleman known on this and other Camino-related forums as Johnnie Walker and one of the wonderful volunteers at the Pilgrims’ Office, our backpacks were found several days later at one of the police substations in Santiago. They then washed and dried the packs and all our clothing (the backpacks were found after being out in torrential rains for several days), packaged everything up in secure boxes and shipped them to us at our home in Colorado, USA, where received them just yesterday.

Not only were the backpacks themselves returned, but with the exception of one set of trekking poles, a pair of sandals, a couple of special gifts that we bought for our daughter, and approximately US$40 in cash, EVERYTHING else was recovered. That includes all our clothing except what we were wearing at the time, all the other gifts we had bought for family and friends, and most importantly, our compostelas, pilgrims’ credentials, my journal notes, and the memory cards containing all the photos I took for the entire Camino (I had just put a new memory card in my camera after we arrived in Santiago). This is nothing short of a miracle, given all the other possible outcomes to this scenario, and Jeanette and I will be eternally grateful to John Walker and the other volunteer whose name we never learned. They turned what could have been a sad ending to an otherwise wonderful journey into one of joy and gratitude. They, and some other special people who assisted us in getting our train tickets to Madrid replaced, represent the finest spirit of the Camino.

I really have to mention one other angel that came into our lives that day…After we finally were able to get our replacement train tickets – about five minutes before the train was due to depart – a young man, a pilgrim like us, came up to us and said, “I’ve been listening to the story of your loss. The backpacks, the clothing, the gifts you purchased are just material things and can be easily replaced. You can even replace the compostelas. But you cannot replace your credentials with all their sellos. I want to give you this.” He handed us his credential from his just-completed Camino. We of course declined, and tried to hand it back to him. He said, “No, I have walked the Camino many times. I have many credentials. Please, take this, it is a gift from my heart.” Tears flowed freely from both Jeanette’s and my eyes as we hugged him and thanked him from the bottom of our hearts. Needless to say, now that we once more have our own credentials, his is on its way to his home in Portugal.

So fellow pilgrims, pay heed to the warnings about keeping everything secured, especially in the big cities where not everyone exhibits the spirit of the Camino.

Jim

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am just so encouraged by this thread. It shows the very real spirit of the Camino and also its miracles, and the provision of your Portugese 'Camino Angel' as well as Johnnie and others.
So glad you have your things back, and most importantly your records of your Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am just so encouraged by this thread. It shows the very real spirit of the Camino and also its miracles, and the provision of your Portugese 'Camino Angel' as well as Johnnie and others.
So glad you have your things back, and most importantly your records of your Camino.
Yes, indeed, Valeria, it is very heartening. I was very impressed this year with the spirit in the Pilgrim's Office. I met Johnnie for only a few minutes, but that in itself was totally inspiring. This story is about going the extra mile.

Hello,

A very heart warming occurence. I am very happy for you and your wife that you have recovered your rucksack through the spirit of the camino. This is one good news among all the bad news we heard all the time. Johnnie walker and the amigos have done a wonderful job.

God bless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is such a fine story. Thanks Jim for sharing your experience with the forum.

It inspires me to (a) go the extra mile to help, like those who returned the pack so beautifully and (b) being grateful and finding a unique way to say "thank you" as Jim has done.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back