• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost and Hopefully Find with the Camino

almostfamous73

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2012 - October 2012
I am planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago this labor day, but found out my work will only allow me to take 5 days off in a row. This is just another frustration from my job that makes me want to resign and walk the entire Camino now and let faith and hope keep me safe and help me when I am done and return to the US. I am so afraid if I do not begin a journey like this, time will slip by, life with get in the way and this will be a lost dream, though reality is there with debt, house payments, etc. I am single with no kids and turn 39 in two weeks. I feel I need this journey to set up the rest of my life, and what if my days are shorter than anticipated. Any feedback? Resign a great job almost six figures to follow faith and explore and listen to the earth and God for my next step in life, or cancel the trip and keep allowing my office politics to dictate how I enjoy my personal time........

Tommy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well a Camino will definitely set you up for the rest of your life :)

If you can deal with the debts after 5-6 weeks+ then that's your answer, take it easy & get fit as you go!, wish I was 39.......nearly 60 here.
David

almostfamous73 said:
... listen to the earth and God for my next step in life, or cancel the trip and keep allowing my office politics to dictate how I enjoy my personal time....
The difficult part is to take a decision which nobody can do for you. Dot down all the pros and cons, sleep a couple of nights after that, and be bold enough to accept your true self and .....decide. The Camino de Santiago is comparable to the camino of life. Its ups and downs, its sunny and rainy days, its refreshing sharing with people from all over the world, its eye and mind opener to who you are, what you can do, where you intend to go. Only you can decide!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tommy.
I was in a similar position to you at age 40. Having sold my practice I had been squeezed into filling a position for a friend on a temporary basis which grew into 9 months. I remember feeling life was slipping through my fingers, literally being wasted on me. I first heard of the camino through a book, just a passing comment, then again several weeks later in another book and for the third time from a stranger. The three time's rule was invoked and I read about the Camino, devoured all I could about the history, culture, geography and modern day walk. I had a light at the end of my tunnel, it buoyed me, gave me motivation and excitement. In my 'youthful zest' I exercised, trained and left determined to 'finish the walk' and open myself to the chance of life again. Well I didn't finish it, heavy boots = tendonitis, but I learnt more about myself and my personal Camino. 10 years later I'm heading off to explore more of the Camino, well really myself.
I don't know about the work scene where you are, but being unhappy at work where most of us spend the majority of our time doesn't sound like it's doing you any good. I've always thought that not fearing unemployment, or rather being open to periods of one's life where we are doing something else apart from 'going to work' is rewarding, opens one up to chance in life. If we ever want to win at the table of life, some where down the line we need to place a bet and take a chance.
Follow that gut feeling and go for it.
Michael

Tommy,
You are asking questions and seeking guidance that will deeply affect your life either for better or worse. Ultimately, only you will be able to make your decision and either benefit/enjoy or suffer the consequences.
Well-meaning people will comment on your situation and give you advice, but remember that only you will live with the consequences of your decision.
If you are a religious person, pray for guidance and wisdom in making your decision. If you are not, then carefully consider the consequences and try to do what is best for you. If it helps at all, I also felt the need to get away and try to re-new myself. I have desperately wanted to do the "entire" Camino. Because of time constraints I did the Camino Ingles - five full days of walking in solitude from Ferrol to SdC. Although a short trip, it did clear my mind and gave me a different perspective on my life. A short rip may or may not work for you, but I believe even a short trip can be refreshing for anyone.
I will pray for you to do what is best for you.

I quit a job once without a follow-up job in place. It was a huge mistake. Everyone is different, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Lots of people walk the camino in search of something more meaningful, in line perhaps with the sentiments well expressed by Michael, but I believe our individual personalities and circumstances mean there is a distinct difference between looking for something more rewarding on the basis of placing a bet and taking a chance, being in a position, such as redundancy or a business sale, where we may have (the potentially beneficial opportunity) to confront drastic change, and balancing what degree of change we can actually manage and deliver relative to our current routine and responsibilities.

We all think we want something different and more meaningful, but what is it and how do we find it. Dropping our current life like a heavy suitcase and just leaving it behind is a good metaphor, but one detached from both the practicalities of everyday life and the potential solution itself. Just abandoning a well paid career on the back of a rash decision is not really a bona fide solution without proper consideration of the outcome or the alternatives unless that decision is the only way of imposing the need for drastic change upon yourself.

The camino appears to have been endowed with the ability to provide 'a solution', possibly in relation to it's original heritage as a pilgrim route, the time it provides en route for personal contemplation, and because of its international renown, the sheer volume of walkers that offers the opportunity to interact with different people from different cultures. But make no mistake, walking the camino will still only be swapping one routine for another, but in a context that separates us temporarily from the responsibilities, pressures and decisions of our everyday life. If it's time to think that you feel you need, does it have to be the camino, does it have to be the camino now, or will another trail in your own country provide a suitable detachment and environment.

The happiness in our life is really a function of our relationships, family, work, friends, and are we going to be happier in a different shade of the same thing somewhere else. Possibly, but always and only if we have addressed the need for change within ourselves. If we can't address that need and that issue, then all other external changes are unlikely to prove successful in providing that more meaningful 'solution'.

Specifically, if you can have 5 consecutive days of leave and Labor Day is a Monday, can't you be away for a total of 9 days including the two weekends either side; use this time to do your camino walk, take the time to think and determine whether you want to come back and do more next time, possibly by asking for a sabbatical or longer unpaid leave - more companies are open to this these days and understand the benefits to them of their employees taking a career break and recharging the batteries.

You could take those five days, go somewhere closer to home, I.e. Grand Canyon, let nature clear your mind up a bit. The job situation is not good yet, if you have debts, you might be risking too much. Yet, I have taken risks like that myself and come out alright, one big difference, debts were not too bad.

See how you feel after a short time out.

Tommy, only you can make such a huge decision as to quit your job or not. I am 50 and think the same thing very often, since I am the only one that does what I do for my company, it makes it difficult to take time off. If you have five days off, especially if they are in between the weekends, maybe walk the last 100 km of the walk for now - take the full five days to do so - that will allow you time to fly in to your starting point, then fly home. My plans in October have us flying over on Friday afternoon, landing in Madrid on Saturday, then flying to Porto Portugual, then train to Valenca, Portugal, spending the night, then starting our Camino on Sunday morning and walking with a plan to arrive Wed or Thurs. While it's not the entire Camino, it gives me a reason to come back and do another Camino with more time. I have the distinct feeling this is going to be my first of many. In other words, if you can't do it all at once break it up - you can start at the beginning, walk for five days, come back and walk more when you can, and complete it when you can... some have taken years to complete it as they do sections at a time. Do what is best for you. If you are unhappy with your job, know you can get another, are financially secure, do it all at once! Only you know what you can handle, spiritually, financially, and physically... I wish you much luck... if I were 39 no kids and only a mortgage and know I could get a job upon returning? Hmmmm.... :) I'd JUMP :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know, will they only pay five days in a row, or can you only tekae off five & is there not a way to get off unpaid ? maybe let them decide by sayin that this is what you really need and you need their help to make it happen...

maybe all this is just a way to not answer your real question...

the truth is that life IS slipping away, and time IS running out and the question is whats best to do in the meantime. Like everyone else I cannot answer your question, and even more not knowing nothing about you.

To be honest yout question raises even more questions. What are your values, do you prefer sequirity og freedom, can you live with loosing the house and no money, what in the current situation does not make sense, do you just want a promotion or do you want to save the world. Are you really missing out or are you just not noticing the very things you are looking for are in front of you. Will quitting your job help anything or will you be lost also with the freedom adn will something else not be able to give you what the camino gives you and is what you are really looking for in the place wwhere you feel compelled to seek it ?

No one knows, maybe least of all you, talk to your boss talk to your friends maybe when you have talked enough you will talk yourself into an answer but only maybe...

Hi Tommy,

Like it’s been said above, that’s a decision you can only make for yourself. I’ve found myself in a similar situation (37, never married, no kids) but allowing others to dictate my personal time, when in fact, by design it should be mine. I have given up jobs in the past for different reasons. One I deliberated about for a while and reluctantly decided to go (despite all the good that would come from doing it) and regretted it. Then again, once I jumped on a plane with no plan and it was the best decision I ever made. I’ve found my body seems to know the right choices, gut over logic.

Seven years ago, I got a wake up call and was reminded just how short life is; it made me evaluate my priorities. I stopped caring about what every one else thought they should be and started checking off all the things I wanted to see and experience. I made a list of what was important to me. I packed four bags and moved country on a whim with a three-month holiday visa. I am still here six years later and have never would have dreamed that ten years ago. Less can sometimes be so much more.

My birthday was last month and I felt that flee feeling again. That feeling for change is stirring in me and the Camino is scratching that itch. Maybe I will have a clearer idea when I am finished, maybe I won’t but I know the experience of it is well worth the challenge. I’m not expecting answers but my gut is telling me to go.

That’s me though; it might not be the same for you.
I hope you figure out what’s best for you.

Ultreya!
JH

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Current decision is to fly over for the five day walk, see how I like it and what happens. On my return, use the next 6 - 8 months to save money then return to walk the entire thing, and during that time look for other opportunities of employment. But my gut and heart says go now, my faith and hope will guide me through the next two months. Thank you all for your comments and prayers.

Tommy

My husband walked from Sarria with me on my 3rd Camino and although he enjoyed it he said he would never be able to do a 5 week walk and didn't know what all the fuss was about!
I told him that the first week is the hardest and that I too wouldn't want to walk the first week over and over again like a Groundhog Day!
After the first week, the backpack feels lighter (perhaps you have sent some stuff ahead), the boots feel comfortable, you get used to the different language, food, water, sleeping with other people etc. Then you start to get into the spirit of it all and by the 4th week your are in the Zone!
What I am saying is, don't judge your Camino on a 5 day walk.

Since the first week is the hardest, your short walk will let you know if you have the determination for something longer. If you can do one week, you can do five!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all for your thoughts... I decided to resign my position, and feel I need to walk the entire pathway and learn about myself and pathway before I can go any further helping people in medicine and in my life. I leave at the end of August and set no timetable to reach the ocean (my goal)... Though reality will hit me in return with debt and bills, I do not want to feel an ounce of regret and I choosed a life that forces me to work long hours and limited time off, however, I now choose to live life and find my harmony with each step........ Tommy

Tommy,

Congratulations on making this courageous decision. May you never regret it.

A job that governs ones entire life seems more like slavery than work to fund ones living.

Decisions made only with the head are often not the best.
On the other hand our guts never lie to us.

May the Lord bless you as you travel the camino. May the road rise before you and the wind be at your back and may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Buen Camino,

Lydia

almostfamous73 said:
Thank you all for your thoughts... I decided to resign my position, and feel I need to walk the entire pathway and learn about myself and pathway before I can go any further helping people in medicine and in my life. I leave at the end of August and set no timetable to reach the ocean (my goal)... Though reality will hit me in return with debt and bills, I do not want to feel an ounce of regret and I choosed a life that forces me to work long hours and limited time off, however, I now choose to live life and find my harmony with each step........ Tommy

Good for you! There's an old saying, "There are no headstones that say, "If only I had spent more time at work."

hi tommy, just read your post and all the good wishes. Brilliant. I love adventure. Would love to know how you get on . I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I left a good job and went back to get a degree in bakery. In my previous life I had the fancy cars and whatever material thing I coveted. Now I'm in the last year of my degree, no cars just a bycle and a tight budget and could'nt be happier .. looking forward to my next adventure.. A proverb that I live by that I heard years ago and adorns the first page of my diary (thats years old) ... "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take , but by the moments that take your breath away" .Good luck with everything my brave amigo...
Andrew, 29, Ireland

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back