• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost Baggage

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK. We were talking on another thread about the best Osprey back packs and we somehow wandered onto the topic of lost luggage. Which packs were small enough to take in the cabin, which had to go as checked in luggage etc.

I made the comment that checking in luggage was not an issue. Why would it be? Have people had bags lost or damaged in the past?

Having taken hundreds of flights over the last 20 years, I have never lost a bag. Or had a bag damaged.

There was a suspicion that I was BS ing I think. Can't think of a reason to though...

Anyway, someone quoted some stats for lost luggage. It made me go looking......... Because I thought, maybe this is Airline or Region specific? It is!

You can go to this site and get a free report. http://www.sita.aero/surveys-reports/industry-surveys-reports/baggage-report-2013? You just need to sign up.

You see I travel mainly in Australia and SE Asia. The baggage loss stats are as follows.

Asia 2.7%
North America 7.7%
Europe 12.9%

Now I'll have to go searching for stats by Airline....................

But now I get it. Going to Europe I'll have a far greater chance of losing my bag :eek:

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In over a dozen camino trips my bags have been delayed twice, never lost. They were delivered to my hotel later in the evening. That would not have worked well for an arrival in Biarritz with a tight connection to the train to SJPdP, but for Santiago and Pamplona, it was not a big problem for me; I just checked in without my backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Probably the issue is cost. I was delighted to get a flight from London for $40. The delight faded a bit when the $50 charge for the checked in bag got added.

That doesn't change my opinion about baggage carried on ... if you don't need it during the flight it shouldn't be in the cabin. The only exception is shiny objects.

I have had bags arrive late due to tight timings at transfers made tighter by airlines that couldn't keep the schedule. I try to allow for at least a couple of hours at transfer points to reduce the problem. Its a balance between getting bored at the long wait versus the stress of wondering if you or your bag are going to make it in time due to airlines not able to get their act together.

OK. We were talking on another thread about the best Osprey back packs and we somehow wandered onto the topic of lost luggage. Which packs were small enough to take in the cabin, which had to go as checked in luggage etc.

I made the comment that checking in luggage was not an issue. Why would it be? Have people had bags lost or damaged in the past?

But now I get it. Going to Europe I'll have a far greater chance of losing my bag :eek:

You might PM Sil about this. I know at least two of her walkers have had their bags lost and have had to replace everything.

We caution all of our pilgrims to carry on their packs.
There's nothing you need that should be larger than a carry-on pack, imo.

Stats don't really matter to the single person. If only 2.7% bags are lost and you're one of those people I doubt you'll care about the other 97.3%.

Stats may be a good representation of the whole population.

The other thing is lost is only one extreme problem.

People have had items stolen from bags.

Bags get damaged.

Bags get delayed.

Does this mean to not check? Not really but if you're on a short trip the hassle of a delayed,lost or demaged bag might be something to consider.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I only use checked-in baggage because Ryanair won't take walking poles in the cabin. My diary from last year [see web site] says:
"On arriving in Lisbon airport, I waited and waited at the luggage carousel for my bag, containing rucksack and walking pole. It didn't appear. Eventually all the other cases had been claimed, and the carousel was empty. After visiting two 'lost property' offices I was asked to fill in forms and "Where are you staying tonight so we can contact you?" How on earth could I remember that? All the information was in my back-pack in the lost bag. Should I now give up the pilgrimage? All clothes, maps and information had been lost. Fortunately I still had my cash on me. I was desperately trying to make up my mind what to do, when a trolley was wheeled into the Lost Property office, with my 'lost' bag on it. I was elated! In the hallway I 'unpacked', put on the back-pack and started walking."

So I was lucky! I'm tempted not to use check-in baggage, but wonder what to do about my walking pole ......

I wonder how many pilgrims have had problems with lost baggage. I too am debating whether to check my backpack with my treking poles or to carry it on and buy poles when I get there. Flip a coin?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wonder how many pilgrims have had problems with lost baggage. I too am debating whether to check my backpack with my treking poles or to carry it on and buy poles when I get there. Flip a coin?
Welcome to the forum. Since I didn't want to take even a slight risk of losing my pack at the beginning of my Camino, I took it on board with me as cabin baggage. My telescoping poles and pocket knife, etc. I packed in a cylindrical tube and sent them as checked luggage. On my return, it didn't matter so much if my pack was lost or delayed, so I secured my poles to the side of my pack and checked the whole lot. Just be sure that you don't leave any straps hanging loose to get caught up in the airport's conveyor belts.

I only use checked-in baggage because Ryanair won't take walking poles in the cabin. My diary from last year [see web site] says:
"On arriving in Lisbon airport, I waited and waited at the luggage carousel for my bag, containing rucksack and walking pole. It didn't appear. Eventually all the other cases had been claimed, and the carousel was empty. After visiting two 'lost property' offices I was asked to fill in forms and "Where are you staying tonight so we can contact you?" How on earth could I remember that? All the information was in my back-pack in the lost bag. Should I now give up the pilgrimage? All clothes, maps and information had been lost. Fortunately I still had my cash on me. I was desperately trying to make up my mind what to do, when a trolley was wheeled into the Lost Property office, with my 'lost' bag on it. I was elated! In the hallway I 'unpacked', put on the back-pack and started walking."

So I was lucky! I'm tempted not to use check-in baggage, but wonder what to do about my walking pole ......
Hi Stephen
Reading through the 'lost baggage " posts. Since your lost bag did rock up on a trolley later, I have wondered if you and others 'losing ' bags , know that not all items come out on the carousel ? Odd items like snow boards etc are put in another area for collection. My first trip to Spain ( friend and I both )put our backpacks in orange garbage bags to protect the straps etc. My garbage bag came out on carousel , but not my friends. We were told to check the special items area for the other one and lo and behold, it was there.
Just mentioning it in case it helps someone else

Annie

This is my first camino and I have reduced my load to make sure my pack will without a doubt be considered a carry on. I am carrying a Gregory 38. I plan on going to,the airport this weekend (I begin my journey June 13) to make sure it fits easily into the little bin at the airport. I have considered shipping poles and the like but have decided to buy them once I arrive if I need them

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is my first camino and I have reduced my load to make sure my pack will without a doubt be considered a carry on. I am carrying a Gregory 38. I plan on going to,the airport this weekend (I begin my journey June 13) to make sure it fits easily into the little bin at the airport. I have considered shipping poles and the like but have decided to buy them once I arrive if I need them
You will be able to buy poles in St. Jean no problem, there are several gear stores there, one is across the street from the pilgrims office and down the hill a bit.

Hola. Pdxjxm and also Erin

Try not to be afraid.
It is not the 'norm ' for baggage to go missing, If you're thinking of trying piles. It's good to have it sorted before you go and have tried them out; be able to quickly lengthen or shorten them, etc. Yes, you can buy anything for your walk on the way, but as far as your equipment, it's good to start feeling you're ready to go. (IMHO )

You will want a light carry bag for 'when you leave your backpack in alburgue,hostal, hotel,etc after your day walk is over . (Many uses, shopping items, carrying washing etc). I used that for my carry on (mine was a mini scrunch up backpack) . So I still had something to throw those things like a fleece, or book etc into on the flight over.

But if you're more comfortable having your pack on board , go for it. I just want to let you know not to worry if you check it in,

Buen camino

Hola. Pdxjxm and also Erin
Try not to be afraid.
It is not the 'norm ' for baggage to go missing,
OzAnnie, I can only totally agree. 1000nds if small and big things do happen every day in life en on camino. Each time I can decide how to react. The camino for me is a constant exercise in letting loose nearly all control, in a way it is about taking risks day by day. Only then I do experience the richness of life.
So for me, yes I do check in luggage if needed. And if I loose it, I will see what to do from there. I survive. At least I do have less to carry with me....
See my signature. Still, worrying is a part of my daily life....:rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... I have never gone by plane to the Camino(always by train). Mostly out of fear that my bag would get lost. But this time I decided that I would brave it and check in that bag. And now here I am... On the bus to Bayonne. No backpack was to be found upon my arrival in Bilbao. So I'm a little bit unraveled at the moment...

Just in case prayers don't work
Can you walk in what you're wearing? - if not, you'll have a chance to carry just the bare essentials - warm jacket, hat, gloves - maybe even no pack (just carry some liquid and food)
Find out where next outdoor shop is - sleeping bag liner, spare clothes

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The thing is that I have to wait in my pack in SJPdP or they'll just send all of it home. Right now I only have one pair of socks, undies and clothes. No backpack. Nothing. And I'm not in a position where I just have money to buy new stuff either. Looks like this Camino might be over even before it started. :(
Just in case prayers don't work
Can you walk in what you're wearing? - if not, you'll have a chance to carry just the bare essentials - warm jacket, hat, gloves - maybe even no pack (just carry some liquid and food)
Find out where next outdoor shop is - sleeping bag liner, spare clothes

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great news so pleased to hear you are on your way have a fantastic time Buen Camino:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The power of prayer . . .

. . . Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up
. . . (Luke 18:1)

Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.