• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost Belgian may lead to new yellow arrows

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Editorial Infobierzo-@ infobierzo

After this past weekend a Belgian pilgrim 56 were lost during the Camino de Santiago passes by Ambros Watering towards Molina, President of the Regional Council of Bierzo and town mayor, Alfonso Arias recommends mayors through which the Camino de Santiago to review the signage to avoid problems like this.

And, to be painted on the stones arrows, Arias notes that "some friendly" has made the pilgrims sometimes lost.As an example, remember the case of "one or two years ago, on a rock was painted a yellow arrow in Irrigation Ambros and signaling leading pilgrims to Onamio".

It is for this reason that the regional president insists on reviewing the Jacobean signals."The official signage is of the Board and then we usually check the signs."

In this sense, states that "in Molinaseca we have not had problems, it is a path parallel to the road and in some places is on the road itself.Heading towards Ponferrada, because they have no problem on the same sidewalk. "

However, Arias believes that "the Camino de Santiago is well signposted and sometimes, poor orientation is because of the pilgrims."In the case of Belgium, the regional president was unknown whether their own fault or because of signaling."I know that was lost in the Manjarín, there is always some loss of a pilgrim and so we try to señalizarlo perfectly," he said.

In El Bierzo, the Camino de Santiago passes through the municipalities of Molinaseca, Ponferrada.Camponaraya, Cacabelos, Villafranca del Bierzo, and Vega de Valcarce Trabadelo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The lost pilgrim story, and using 112 for emergencies:

by Editorial Infobierzo-@ infobierzo
Troops of the Civil Guard assisted in Ponferrada early Sunday to a pilgrim, and Belgian 56-year-old, who performed the road between the towns of Santiago Astorga and Ponferrada and disoriented that night when he was walking between the towns of El Ganso Molinaseca, by calling 112.

Given the above, and once the 112 informed the Civil Guard, a search was established with the intervention six Guardia Civil patrols that led to the location of the place of pilgrimage in Matarrubia, located in the village Irrigation Ambros, a place difficult to access on foot.The pilgrim was moved to the shelter of Rabanal Molinaseca not require reaching healthcare.

The lost pilgrim story, and using 112 for emergencies:

by Editorial Infobierzo-@ infobierzo
Troops of the Civil Guard assisted in Ponferrada early Sunday to a pilgrim, and Belgian 56-year-old, who performed the road between the towns of Santiago Astorga and Ponferrada and disoriented that night when he was walking between the towns of El Ganso Molinaseca, by calling 112.

Given the above, and once the 112 informed the Civil Guard, a search was established with the intervention six Guardia Civil patrols that led to the location of the place of pilgrimage in Matarrubia, located in the village Irrigation Ambros, a place difficult to access on foot.The pilgrim was moved to the shelter of Rabanal Molinaseca not require reaching healthcare.

I can't figure out how a person could get lost on that route, unless they were walking in the dark. It's pretty straight forward.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I couldn´t find the article but got to the newspaper and saw two other things of interest to pilgrims:

A new albergue in Fuentesnuevas http://www.infobierzo.com/proyecto-...alaciones-en-un-albergue-de-peregrinos/85425/ (though I´m not exactly sure where that is).

On Sunday, in Ponferrada, there will be an effort to enter the Guinness Book of World Records for serving the largest octopus tapa ever served-- a total of 500 kg of octopus will be cooked and placed on a huge wooden plate and then distributed to the public for 5 euros each. http://www.infobierzo.com/todo-list...ness-mas-grande-del-mundo-este-domingo/85403/

I walked from Covas to Ferrol around the headlands today, and there were a couple of strategically placed 'not this way' crosses. They were very comforting. Is there an 'official' standard to warn pilgrims they have deviated from the designated path?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That would be a great idea Doug. Perhaps an arrow with a red cross over it? I am sure that even on the well marked Frances there must be some places where people frequently make a mistake. Like for example I got the left turn wrong trying to find Eunate and later on spoke to others who had done the same. How many people have followed a dead end to a cemetery somewhere at the end of a tiring day?

France has "wrong way" markings:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentier_de_grande_randonnée

250px-BalisageGR.png

We find the French GR "you are going the wrong way" crossed red and white signs very helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As one who missed the obvious turn in Burgette of all places (was heads down in the rain and missed the big sign and arrow painted on the wall), it's easier than one might think to take a wrong turn (or miss the right one). Fortunately, one of the pilgrims I met the night before yelled out from behind, "Hey Denver!" and motioned me back onto the right track.

Then, one evening we stayed at a smaller albergue outside the main town (I think it was Portomarin) mostly because we were avoiding the Sarria hordes. We walked into town for dinner and walked back in the evening, enjoying the walk and the countryside, until, after a while, we stopped to wonder, "Where did they move the albergue?!" We backtracked and found the turn we missed and fortunately made it back before they locked the doors. I like to think we weren't lost so much as taking the scenic route . . .

The few times I was frustrated on the Camino always involved what I call "rouge" yellow arrows where a business owner, who's establishment was off the Camino, would paint an arrow on the Camino directing traffic to his or her business. I really appreciated intellectually honest business owners who painted a large yellow arrow in the correct direction with a smaller yellow arrow coming off the larger arrow in the direction of their business. Some even then wrote the word "bar" or "albergue" next to the smaller arrow. I applaud them for doing the right thing.

Then there is the mess just beyond La Virgen Del Camino where Camino splits and each side keeps on painting over each other's arrows with black paint.

But the funniest thing involving yellow arrows has to be Brierley's admonition (including special photograph) to be especially vigilant when leaving Villafranca Del Bierzo to spot the right hand turn to Puete rio Burbia optional route. That turn had to have 30 yellow arrows. Was this his idea of a joke?

I couldn´t find the article but got to the newspaper and saw two other things of interest to pilgrims:

A new albergue in Fuentesnuevas http://www.infobierzo.com/proyecto-...alaciones-en-un-albergue-de-peregrinos/85425/ (though I´m not exactly sure where that is).

On Sunday, in Ponferrada, there will be an effort to enter the Guinness Book of World Records for serving the largest octopus tapa ever served-- a total of 500 kg of octopus will be cooked and placed on a huge wooden plate and then distributed to the public for 5 euros each. http://www.infobierzo.com/todo-list...ness-mas-grande-del-mundo-este-domingo/85403/

Why, why I'm not on vacations!?

Thats the international way marking for pedestrian pathways, with some interest (mainly cultural).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The best thing to do, is to end up with the arrow painting, and using the seashells marks or tablets (the first it's preferable). There is a huge discussion about doing that on the Portuguese Camiño because of people who got lost, or because the cafes that are always adding km to the route, so that the way pass near their businesses.

I walked from Covas to Ferrol around the headlands today, and there were a couple of strategically placed 'not this way' crosses. They were very comforting. Is there an 'official' standard to warn pilgrims they have deviated from the designated path?

For what I remember, there isn't anything oficial for marking a wrong way. Mostly what people use is the traditional X to mark the incorrect way. What I usualy do is, when I see that I don't see any marking for some meters, or that I have the feeling that I'm lost, I walk another 100 steps forward. If I don't find any marking I go back until I find the last one. It worked untill now :D

Yellow arrow markings were very helpful when we walked last year, except for this one:
20130823_075643.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And then there was the day my wife and I were walking with a small group of people. We were just talking and following the group, not really paying attention to the arrows, when a friendly farmer yelled to us that we made a wrong turn. We walked back to the split and looked at the sign that we all just made a "right" at (sorry, I don't know how to rotate this picture) :20130914_092411.jpg

And then there was the day my wife and I were walking with a small group of people. We were just talking and following the group, not really paying attention to the arrows, when a friendly farmer yelled to us that we made a wrong turn. We walked back to the split and looked at the sign that we all just made a "right" at (sorry, I don't know how to rotate this picture) :View attachment 9146

I think I remember this spot. Is it just after Belorado?
That was the only time I went wrong way on CF, straight on instead of right turn and over the pedestrian bridge. It was early morning and I was still kind of sleepy and simply didn't see at least 7 (!) yellow markers on the asphalt, the house and the tree. But it was a pleasant half an hour walk in complete solitude until friendly farmer told me to go back. ;)

As one who missed the obvious turn in Burgette of all places (was heads down in the rain and missed the big sign and arrow painted on the wall), it's easier than one might think to take a wrong turn (or miss the right one). Fortunately, one of the pilgrims I met the night before yelled out from behind, "Hey Denver!" and motioned me back onto the right track.

Then, one evening we stayed at a smaller albergue outside the main town (I think it was Portomarin) mostly because we were avoiding the Sarria hordes. We walked into town for dinner and walked back in the evening, enjoying the walk and the countryside, until, after a while, we stopped to wonder, "Where did they move the albergue?!" We backtracked and found the turn we missed and fortunately made it back before they locked the doors. I like to think we weren't lost so much as taking the scenic route . . .

Koilife..I did the very same thing in Burgette! It was raining really hard, my hood was up, my head down and I walked right passed the arrows, not only on the wall, but across the pavement as well. Luckily, my good friend, AnnieSantiago, saw me, yelled until I turned around, and waved me back. Feeling very sheepish to have made that mistake so early in my walk, I turned around and joined her for a few kilometers. She soon left me in her mud (no dust, that’s for sure). I paid more attention after that.

Then, after I left Manjarin and started the steep descent into Molinaseca, I was lost in thought until I realized I hadn’t seen an arrow in quite some time. Oh Geez! Am I still on the Camino? There was no other pilgrims to be seen and after a few minutes, I started getting nervous. That is until I saw the toilet paper strewn along the path. Then I knew I was on the Camino...sad but true...the TP turned out to be a way marker!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@pattymo97206 , the couple that yelled out for us in Burgette also left us in their <mud> after a short while, but as my son and I gained endurance and stamina, we ended up running across them again later on and walked the final third of the Camino with them. It's stories like yours, and those of this forum, and those that I experienced firsthand, that remind me that we are but leaves and twigs on this great stream of humanity, drawn to Santiago.

Not all those who wander are lost . . . (Tolkien)

"I've never been lost, but I was mighty confused for several months." (attributed to mountain man, Jim Bridger)

For what I remember, there isn't anything oficial for marking a wrong way. Mostly what people use is the traditional X to mark the incorrect way. What I usualy do is, when I see that I don't see any marking for some meters, or that I have the feeling that I'm lost, I walk another 100 steps forward. If I don't find any marking I go back until I find the last one. It worked untill now :D
That sounds pretty dense marking. There is a stretch of the Camino Ingles just before Siguerdo with just four waypoint markers in as many km, with a handful of painted arrows. You would be like a yo-yo there. It's one of those stretches where KSO is enough direction for an hour or so

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That sounds pretty dense marking. There is a stretch of the Camino Ingles just before Siguerdo with just four waypoint markers in as many km, with a handful of painted arrows. You would be like a yo-yo there. It's one of those stretches where KSO is enough direction for an hour or so

Same thing has the Portuguese. A lot of people complaint that the markings in Portugal are great, but that when you cross the border to Spain, it gets "bad". "Bad" for them is finding an arrow after every 250 or 300m. Good is finding an arrow every 20 or 30m.

I never had to come back. Usually when I was reaching the end of the 100 steps, I always found a new mark.

The problem with having so many ways ending up in Galicia, and not so many volunteers on the association(s?) makes that something simple has marking to be difficult.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
2004 signage on the Valcarlos alternative out of SJPdP was miniscule yellow arrows painted on popsicle-like sticks and rather randomly attached to trees, logs, etc. Eventually I sensed that I was going north within a dense wood where the correct path should be basically west. Backtracking to the last marker nailed to a moveable stake I spotted with RELIEF a distant farmer; he walked towards me as I walked towards him. When asked the way to Arneguy he simply quarter-turned the stake and replied "Oh those children they just love to confuse you pilgrims". ...Luckily the signage has VASTLY improved over recent years and there are no more moveable arrows, but a basic sense of direction is still most helpful.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A different American outdoorsman?

“I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once.”

Daniel Boone
Evidently, we have a lot of lost Americans pretending not to be lost. Possibly something to do with our geography skills and thinking the world revolves around us??? <rhetorical question, BTW>

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No, not just Americans. It's genetically imprinted in all males. Have you ever seen a man stop and ask the way?
And why would we do that?! It's right around here somewhere . . . I know it is. And it'll take way too much time to go out of our way to ask; besides, we'd probably just talk to the same person who moved the arrows on us. <he said suspiciously, not so subtly shifting the blame to someone else to cover up his own directional inadequacies>

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I never registered that Boone and Bridger were that far apart. Thanks!

I think I remember this spot. Is it just after Belorado?
That was the only time I went wrong way on CF, straight on instead of right turn and over the pedestrian bridge. It was early morning and I was still kind of sleepy and simply didn't see at least 7 (!) yellow markers on the asphalt, the house and the tree. But it was a pleasant half an hour walk in complete solitude until friendly farmer told me to go back. ;)

No, this was just outside of Hospital, between Las Herrerias de Valcarce and Triacastela (Not to be confused with Hospital de Orbigo). It was an old farm road.

No, this was just outside of Hospital, between Las Herrerias de Valcarce and Triacastela (Not to be confused with Hospital de Orbigo). It was an old farm road.
Ups, it seems just like the spot in Belorado.
But that stretch between Las Herrerias and Triacastela is some 27km long so I really can not remember.
But I guess I would if lost :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Too true Doug. Going out of Siguerdo I nearly missed a marker about 10 minutes after leaving miras because a parked car obscured the marking on the wall were you go left

We also walked past the arrow in Burgete and ended up way out of the village, before we met some road workers who sent us back. First day, first Camino! Anne

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back