A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Lost Lost boots

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Hi someone took my boots in error this morning from the albergue in Los Arcos. If you have them, please contact me. I am at the municipal albergue in Logroño. Thank you.
Oh, you poor devil! Such a terrible calamity... however forgive me: not the end of the world. Hoping you get them back, get crazy laces, take out the insoles, tie the laces together. Anything to make them not an easy choice for a sleepwalking pilgrim first thing in the morning. I hope the ones you found in their place are bigger, not smaller. Do keep us informed. please remove your email, better not to have that public. You can receive personal messages and then converse with someone away from the public eye.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Hopefully the pair they left behind fits you and will get you to where you can obtain a new set. If there is no pair left behind, then I am afraid you were the victim of an opportunistic thief of the Camino.
I believe there is a Decathlon shoppe in Logrono where you can buy some new boots/shoes.

Good luck and ultreia.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Oh, you poor devil! Such a terrible calamity... however forgive me: not the end of the world. Hoping you get them back, get crazy laces, take out the insoles, tie the laces together. Anything to make them not an easy choice for a sleepwalking pilgrim first thing in the morning. I hope the ones you found in their place are bigger, not smaller. Do keep us informed. please remove your email, better not to have that public. You can receive personal messages and then converse with someone away from the public eye.
Great advice. I always do all three of those, lol.
Orange laces from a pair of running shoes (actually better than the original laces, which I carry as a spare set). Insoles come out and get tucked away in an outer pocket of the backpack.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
If it were me, I'd be going to every albergue up ahead and looking for my boots.
That stinks if they did it on purpose.
Were there any boots LIKE yours left there?
I did have a client once who grabbed the wrong boots in SJPP and didn't notice until Roncesvalles.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
Yes, my first impulse was to ask if a pair of boots was left behind. If not then it looks like they have been stolen. If a pair was left behind and are not in disrepair then there has been a mistake. It might be difficult to rectify this, unless you can bus to the next likely stopping point and survey every pair of boots you see. Too late now of course, but the suggestion that you use vivid coloured laces (or similar) would make them easier to identify down the track, and also discourage potential thieves.

Fionajane

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2019)-
Thank you for all the support, so far nothing has turned up. A pair of similar coloured boots was in the shelf, but a different make, so I think it was a genuine mistake.

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Dang!! If the ones left behind don't fit there is indeed a Decathlon in Logrono, only a mile from where you are now (Decathlon is a French multi-sport chain - great products at great prices).

It is near the huge Auchan shopping mall sort of on the way out just off Camino - unless you have super-wide feet (I do!) you can reboot there for certain.

Rioja Park Shopping Center. Pradoviejo Street, 68. La Rioja, La Rioja 26008 Logroño

https://www.decathlon.es/es/store-view/tienda-de-deportes-logroño-0070035100351

good luck - Buen Camino!

Ksalud

Hi someone took my boots in error this morning from the albergue in Los Arcos. If you have them, please contact me. I am at the municipal albergue in Logroño, or our Spanish number 692395621. Thank you.
Met a Pilgrim in Sept whose one boot was taken by mistake. Was unable to wear the other too tight boot.
Bused ahead to Deba in hopes of finding her “right” boot. Never knew what happened.

Onewithspirit

Camino(s) past & future
First one begins August 13 2017!
I feel your frustration. My boots were my lifeblood. They were worn in and the perfect fit for my swollen feet. They supported my planter fasciitis as best they could. But they were the only thing I could wear for any distance. And they were mistakenly taken one morning in Portomarin. I knew exactly who took them though because we had had a chat the day before while waiting for the Albergue owner to open up. I didn’t say anything to her but I noticed that we had the exact same boot. The next morning mine were gone and hers were there. Hers were too small. She had left about an hour before me according to others. I wore my sandals, grabbed her boots and trekked a couple of kms to the bus depot. I planned to cut her off at the pass by going to the next biggest stop along the way, Villafranca Del Bierzo, about 22 kms from Ponferrada. Comedy of errors...she had about a two hour start on me and the bus was really late. When I arrived at the Camino entrance to the village, I asked everyone for help. I spoke to the albergue owner from the place we had stayed in Ponferrada. She called around to all of the Albergues in Villafranca. End of a long day and story...they located her and I was miraculously able to get my boots back. I hope you have such good fortune. Buen Camino

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
No offense to anyone, but how does one put on the wrong pair of boots and even more absurd one boot from one set and one boot from another? I would know immediately if a pair of footwear was not my own. It is just so obvious. I have put on my footwear before while forgetting to have put the insoles back in, but when I did it was so obvious and remedied immediately.
Too much vino the night before? Sleep meds still pumping through the system? Whatever the cause, just sounds as they say, brain farting to me.

Fionajane

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2019)-
Hi someone took my boots in error this morning from the albergue in Los Arcos. If you have them, please contact me. I am at the municipal albergue in Logroño. Thank you.
The boots have been found and returned safely, a genuine mistake and the very emotional and remorseful person has had her own boots sent to her, so a happy ending all round. Thank you to everyone for support and advice!

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
No offense to anyone, but how does one put on the wrong pair of boots and even more absurd one boot from one set and one boot from another? I would know immediately if a pair of footwear was not my own. It is just so obvious. I have put on my footwear before while forgetting to have put the insoles back in, but when I did it was so obvious and remedied immediately.
Too much vino the night before? Sleep meds still pumping through the system? Whatever the cause, just sounds as they say, brain farting to me.
Not too much vino tinto, too much no walking in their lives at all I'd say. Slippers, trainers, boots, it's all the same "something" you wear not to feel the surface...
Sadly.

Or a thief.

EDIT: Oh, now after read all the posts I see all is well :)

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
In the case of my peregrina, it was early, no coffee, dressed in the almost dark. The boots she grabbed were the same make, same color, same size, virtually identical. It wasn't until she stopped to pee that she got a CLOSE look and saw red fingernail polish on the ties.

K Turner

Camino(s) past & future
August-October 2019 CF
The boots have been found and returned safely, a genuine mistake and the very emotional and remorseful person has had her own boots sent to her, so a happy ending all round. Thank you to everyone for support and advice!
I'm so glad you got them back!

I noticed a lot of shoes had initials on the back written in Sharpie and ending up doing the same.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
I'm so glad you got them back!

I noticed a lot of shoes had initials on the back written in Sharpie and ending up doing the same.
Good idea, but from what I am reading some Einstein with a backpack on will still grab them off the rack and march off with your boots/shoes. I'd be willing to bet that even if you tie the laces together and take out the insoles they'd untie them, put them on and walk right out the door, only wondering kilometres later why their footwear feels so funny or why their feet hurt, lol.

K Turner

Camino(s) past & future
August-October 2019 CF
Good idea, but from what I am reading some Einstein with a backpack on will still grab them off the rack and march off with your boots/shoes. I'd be willing to bet that even if you tie the laces together and take out the insoles they'd untie them, put them on and walk right out the door, only wondering kilometres later why their footwear feels so funny or why their feet hurt, lol.
Yes but it makes them easy to identify on another pilgrim's feet.

GERARD RYAN

Camino(s) past & future
fUTURE - Startin in SJPDP Oct 2014
Great. How were they found ? It would be good to know for tips.

Mike Greeff

Camino(s) past & future
With my wife and daughter (2019)
Great. How were they found ? It would be good to know for tips.
A lady who was walking in sandals to rest her feet that day picked them up by mistake in the dark. The boots had all been moved around the evening before by the lady from the hostel and they were a very similar colour, size and style to my wife’s boots. When she realised it she called the albergue and my daughter had left her contact number with them. They then posted her boots on to her. She was mortified when she realised what had happened, ever so apologetic when she handed them back to my wife with every assurance that they hadn’t been worn. A genuine mistake that any of us could make.

GERARD RYAN

Camino(s) past & future
fUTURE - Startin in SJPDP Oct 2014
A lady who was walking in sandals to rest her feet that day picked them up by mistake in the dark. The boots had all been moved around the evening before by the lady from the hostel and they were a very similar colour, size and style to my wife’s boots. When she realised it she called the albergue and my daughter had left her contact number with them. They then posted her boots on to her. She was mortified when she realised what had happened, ever so apologetic when she handed them back to my wife with every assurance that they hadn’t been worn. A genuine mistake that any of us could make.
Lovely story. Thanks. Very typical Camino ending.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock