• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost camera in Hospital de Ortiga

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
My camera went suddenly missing after I took a picture of the puente in Hospital de Ortega. If someone has found it, please let me know!!! There are over 500+ pictures since St. Jean and I am profoundly saddened by this immense loss! It is a panasonic lummix camera--blue--and was lost on the main street into Hospital de Ortega. I went back four different times but obviously someone picked it up. Please pass the word for me?? Thank you. Portia Hirschman, USA.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Portia

can you describe the case it is in, and who you were travelling with.and what date you lost it. I don't want to give you false hope, but we found a camera just as you describe(close to where you lost yours, but not exactly) we took it to the pilgrims office and showed some people it in Santiago, we recognised the faces on it as did others but noone could find the people in the photos,

The P.O. wouldn't take it so we brought it home with the intention of putting a posting on this site!!

I really hope it is yours.

A

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My camera is a Panasonic Lumix camera--blue camera--in a black soft fabric case with a yellow lining. I would give a million thanksgivings if this camera is found! I spent the night tossing and turning and thinking of all the pictures on it, including people I may never see again. I am now in Astorga and will be in Santiago around October 10th or earlier. Portia

P.S. I lost it YESTERDAY on the puente in Hospital de Orbigo so if you have it in Santiago, it probably is not mine. It fell out of my pack. I am traveling with three French Canadians. At the very beginning of the chip--initial pictures--are pictures of me and my cats. Then there is a picture of me leaving the USA, and so on. The camera records the days in Spain. I started in St. Jean on September 3rd. If anyone hears anything about this camera--please let me know!

I am at San Javier in Astorga right now. Blessings.

Sorry Portia, it's not yours, I hope you get yours back.

The one we found is also a blue lumix panasonic, if anyone has lost or knows of someone who has lost one, please put on a posting. I would love to return it to it's rightful owner.

A

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If the first photo on your chip is of your passport/driver's license/ID/business card, then an honest person finding your camera has a way to return it to you. The second photo could be a letter pleading to at least send you the chip from the camera.

At first glance, this is a great idea. However, this spring my camera was boosted on the Madrid metro by (of course) very experienced and notorious pickpockets. Had images of my passport and other ID been on the chip, I would be facing the very real catastrophe of identity theft as well as losing my camera.... So yes, the very big caveat is "an honest person".

lynne

I was so hoping for a happy end. I would have been so great if the camera found was actually yours Portia, I really do hope someone have found it and will send it to you.

Taking photos of ID-cards seems like a really bad idea to me... also as lynne states... risking the catastrophe of identity theft.

Why not just make sign... handwritten og printed out from a word doc... with the words...

If lost... please send to:
Name
Addr.

Take a photo and make it the first one...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everyone works within his/her comfort zone, so I am not suggesting that you go against your instincts. But every person to whom you have written a check in your life has had access to your name, address, bank routing number, account number, and signature. Ask your banker if they refuse EFT requests that arrive electronically with the proper coding, and if they will refund your money if you are defrauded. You may not like the answer! Every hospitalo and hotel clerk who has looked at your passport, perhaps even held onto it overnight, has the opportunity to copy it or the information on it (they almost always write down your passport number in their guest log, sometimes a requirement from the junta). Everyone who has handled your credit card has the name, number, and "secret" code from it. Fortunately, credit card companies absorb most of the fraudulent internet and telephone fraudulent charges, but often there is no legal requirement that they do so. None of this leaves me feeling comfortable, but I refuse to supplement the paranoia it causes by retreating from the world.

Yes, a photo of a simple name, address, and phone number on a piece of paper is probably sufficient for the return of your camera from an honest person and protects a little bit against other fraud, so I revise my suggestion to "make that your first photo on the camera." And I know that even with just your name and address, I can get your birth date month and year, property records, aerial photo of your house, and residence history for free starting from Zabasearch, but I can probably do that without your camera, too!

Once again we have the choice to live on our knees or die standing up.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back