• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost from Leon

NancyLee

Time of past OR future Camino
In March, 2018 I started the Camino Frances and on day 7, was forced to suspend my journey with an injury. I could not walk then, and 3 weeks’ subsequent to returning home. It was devastating. Happily I returned to Logrono on sept 1 and began where I left off the next day. I make no excuses or feel any guilt in sending my backpack ahead each day to ensure my foot injury doesn’t return. It is my Camino - my Way!
On Monday morning, I left Leon at 0600. My mates were still sleeping but as I figured the street lighting would see me through til daylight, I was on my way. I was not aware at all that there are 2 forks in the path that need attention. I was focused on the yellow arrows all the way. By 1030, I was not seeing any anticipated coffee stops, I seemed to be going further into a mountain, away from civilization, more remote, not seeing any perigrinos, and noticing villages from afar (getting further away). I reluctantly decided to turn back, I had food, running out of water but was trying not to panic. I must have walked at least 10-15 km straight up. I began meeting people who explained I needed to go back to Leon as I somehow got on the San Sebastián Camino route. I got to the outskirts of Leon, composed myself, got a bus to the city, then a rural bus to San Martin del Camino where my bag was going. I was welcomed by a new group that helped me cry, tell my story, enjoy a community meal and move forward the next day. The purpose of this post is to warn people who don’t know (as I didn’t) that there are other Camino routes out of Leon - not just Camino Frances. Am presently in Rabanal del Camino and looking forward to Gregorian Chant tonight!
Ola from Camino de Santiago wishing all safe journeys!
NancyLee 🙋🏻🎒🚶🏻‍♀️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I began meeting people who explained I needed to go back to Leon as I somehow got on the San Sebastián Camino route.
You were actually on the Camino del Salvador, which goes to Oviedo, and is a spectacularly beautiful route, but a bit difficult, and you need to be a bit more prepared for it.
Maybe you will try it some time. You already know the way there. 😊

Wow, what a day. I am glad that everything turned out fine, and I am sure this will become one of your strong camino memories, as it spanned such a huge range of human emotions!

I am guessing that you found yourself on the Camino Del Salvador, which is just as @trecile describes. For others leaving León on the Francés, the split comes right at the parador San Marcos. There is in fact a pilgrim statue in front that displays the options. For the Salvador you do not cross the river, but continue on the side of the parador and along the river. For the Francés, facing the parador you turn left and walk on the bridge over the river.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glad to hear you got "back on track" and seem undaunted by your adventure - perhaps we should flag this thread for the next time somebody says you don't need a gps track - you might not need one but they do come in handy sometimes!

Enjoy Rabanal (and the rest of your Camino).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's quite an adventure - at least no harm done, and its all part of the wonderful journey.
Buen Camino (the right one!!)

Glad to hear you got "back on track" and seem undaunted by your adventure - perhaps we should flag this thread for the next time somebody says you don't need a gps track - you might not need one but they do come in handy sometimes!

Enjoy Rabanal (and the rest of your Camino).
Yep. While most yellow arrows lead you to Santiago some lead to local bars. And at least one leads you to Oviedo.

Last edited:
In March, 2018 I started the Camino Frances and on day 7, was forced to suspend my journey with an injury. I could not walk then, and 3 weeks’ subsequent to returning home. It was devastating. Happily I returned to Logrono on sept 1 and began where I left off the next day. I make no excuses or feel any guilt in sending my backpack ahead each day to ensure my foot injury doesn’t return. It is my Camino - my Way!
On Monday morning, I left Leon at 0600. My mates were still sleeping but as I figured the street lighting would see me through til daylight, I was on my way. I was not aware at all that there are 2 forks in the path that need attention. I was focused on the yellow arrows all the way. By 1030, I was not seeing any anticipated coffee stops, I seemed to be going further into a mountain, away from civilization, more remote, not seeing any perigrinos, and noticing villages from afar (getting further away). I reluctantly decided to turn back, I had food, running out of water but was trying not to panic. I must have walked at least 10-15 km straight up. I began meeting people who explained I needed to go back to Leon as I somehow got on the San Sebastián Camino route. I got to the outskirts of Leon, composed myself, got a bus to the city, then a rural bus to San Martin del Camino where my bag was going. I was welcomed by a new group that helped me cry, tell my story, enjoy a community meal and move forward the next day. The purpose of this post is to warn people who don’t know (as I didn’t) that there are other Camino routes out of Leon - not just Camino Frances. Am presently in Rabanal del Camino and looking forward to Gregorian Chant tonight!
NancyLee 🙋🏻🎒🚶🏻‍♀️
NancyLee 🙋🏻🎒🚶🏻‍♀️
Ahhh, the perils of walking on the dark! A similar thing happened to me (at a different location) and I resolved not to leave until nearly light- unless I was very sure of myself. It is certainly no fun to walk a long way off course... I hope this is a humorous memory by now, and that you are enjoying your Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
NancyLee 🙋🏻🎒🚶🏻‍♀️
I’m a few days behind you, Nancy.

Wishing you a more Conventional experience in the rest of your Camino.

I’m considering the pack transport option. I’m getting pains from my pack and think it might be time to do something about it.

Buen Camino.

Andrew/Andy

I still over the years can't understand people starting walking in the dark.
Or as I already said: "If I want to walk in the dark I would take circles around my own house and wouldn't travel to Spain to do that."
I mean if I spend money and time to get to Spain WTF is wrong with me to walk in the dark and not being able to see the Spain!!!???

That's just so stupid me thinks.

Or at least check the exit from village/town the afternoon before...

Wow, what a day. I am glad that everything turned out fine, and I am sure this will become one of your strong camino memories, as it spanned such a huge range of human emotions!

I am guessing that you found yourself on the Camino Del Salvador, which is just as @trecile describes. For others leaving León on the Francés, the split comes right at the parador San Marcos. There is in fact a pilgrim statue in front that displays the options. For the Salvador you do not cross the river, but continue on the side of the parador and along the river. For the Francés, facing the parador you turn left and walk on the bridge over the river.
I've seen that Arrow twice on the side of the Parador in Leon and sighed as I crossed the river...one day in the next year or two I hope to walk the Salvador!
Screenshot_2019-09-18-13-47-01.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first time we walked the Salvador we had people insisting we were off route. Even a bus driver hopped out of his bus and crossed the road to “put us right”. But that was in broad daylight.

Or as I already said: "If I want to walk in the dark I would take circles around my own house and wouldn't travel to Spain to do that."
I mean if I spend money and time to get to Spain WTF is wrong with me to walk in the dark and not being able to see the Spain!!!???

When you are walking in early August on the meseta with a teenage son who really doesn't like the heat, then an earlier start, even in the dark, starts to be really appealing.

And when you are in a village many miles from the nearest city and its light pollution, heading out before first light when you can really see the stars and follow the Milky Way also starts to be really appealing - especially if you live in a big city regularly where you are lucky to be able to see the few stars of Orion.

People who go to sleep early (as is the norm for pilgrims) and get up and start walking when it is already light don't know the spectacle they are missing in the night sky. That same night sky is not available where I live.

When you are walking in early August on the meseta with a teenage son who really doesn't like the heat, then an earlier start, even in the dark, starts to be really appealing.

And when you are in a village many miles from the nearest city and its light pollution, heading out before first light when you can really see the stars and follow the Milky Way also starts to be really appealing - especially if you live in a big city regularly where you are lucky to be able to see the few stars of Orion.

People who go to sleep early (as is the norm for pilgrims) and get up and start walking when it is already light don't know the spectacle they are missing in the night sky. That same night sky is not available where I live.
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about night sky or Milky Way or anything else seeable in the sky during the night. Maybe you should move to a countryside and you'll be able to admire the stars every night? Maybe you should start an initiative to use less street lights or big screen adds or ... or ... where you live? But that's not the topic. I did have the opportunity to see nightsky regularly in my life (if not for the clouds) and I still do. Lucky me. But I would definitely not travel to Spain to see it. Go 100 miles in either direction from where you live and there you'll have it.

Again it's not about seeing the stars it's about start walking in the dark ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about night sky or Milky Way or anything else seeable in the sky during the night. Maybe you should move to a countryside and you'll be able to admire the stars every night? Maybe you should start an initiative to use less street lights or big screen adds or ... or ... where you live? But that's not the topic. I did have the opportunity to see nightsky regularly in my life (if not for the clouds) and I still do. Lucky me. But I would definitely not travel to Spain to see it. Go 100 miles in either direction from where you live and there you'll have it.

You asked why would someone start to walk in the dark. I answered with two reasons. I'm sorry if you felt they were taking the discussion in a direction that you did not want with your question.

Having walked across the meseta I can say with a fair amount of confidence that if a bit of the day's walk is in the dark, I will still have seen plenty of Spain during the rest of the day and that the part that I missed will likely have looked very similar to the part that I saw. :)

I’m a few days behind you, Nancy.

Wishing you a more Conventional experience in the rest of your Camino.

I’m considering the pack transport option. I’m getting pains from my pack and think it might be time to do something about it.

Buen Camino.

Andrew/Andy
I used to get pains from my pack. The back was not quite the correct size for me. I shortened it (2 notches--it had adjustment mechanisms) and it was much, much better.
Of course, if that is your problem it could be that the pack is too short for you instead of too long!
Also see if the load is out of balance, that can make a big difference.

DH and I have never used pack transport because, (1) when we actually had an injury, it was a trip ending one, and (2) we like to go along and stop where it seems right and if we send the pack ahead we are bound to at least get as far as that stopping point whether we wanted it or not.
The other thing that could be tried is to send some of the items ahead to the end of this year's journey, Santiago or wherever, and pick them up when you get there. Our esteemed host has a storage service, for one, and the Correos will let a package sit (for some time I don't actually know) and wait.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola @peregrina2000 . Thanks Lorrie for the explanation. I have been through Leon twice - 2015 & 2017 but as I stayed in the Parador (now under renovation) I just turned right and followed the shells over the bridge.
I was wondering how one managed to get lost or on the wrong/incorrect camino. Cheers

I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about night sky or Milky Way or anything else seeable in the sky during the night. Maybe you should move to a countryside and you'll be able to admire the stars every night? Maybe you should start an initiative to use less street lights or big screen adds or ... or ... where you live? But that's not the topic.

Maybe move to rural Australia where it is still possible to see all of the Milky Way and other night sights.

Hola @peregrina2000 . Thanks Lorrie for the explanation. I have been through Leon twice - 2015 & 2017 but as I stayed in the Parador (now under renovation) I just turned right and followed the shells over the bridge.
I was wondering how one managed to get lost or on the wrong/incorrect camino. Cheers
If you would turn left and walk to the corner then you would see the Salvador/Frances split ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about night sky or Milky Way or anything else seeable in the sky during the night.
I don't want to, but... :rolleyes:

You asked why would someone start to walk in the dark. I answered with two reasons. I'm sorry if you felt they were taking the discussion in a direction that you did not want with your question.
Amen 🙏

I was welcomed by a new group that helped me cry, tell my story, enjoy a community meal and move forward the next day. The purpose of this post is to warn people who don’t know (as I didn’t) that there are other Camino routes out of Leon - not just Camino Frances.
You're on your own journey Nancy, and I applaud your courage to share your experience. It's something that you could have just kept to yourself for any number of reasons (embarrassment, personal growth), but you've chosen to allow us to benefit from your experience, and I for one will keep this in mind during my Camino next month.

I've often heard that 'getting lost' is just an exercise in finding something new and unexpected. It may bring challenges, emotion and hardship, but it has emboldened you on your journey. What's more, you've had the opportunity to allow yourself to be supported by other pilgrims, and find strength to continue.

Buen Camino :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here you have them...

Attachments

• 2016-06-14 08.38.32.jpg
    2016-06-14 08.38.32.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • 2016-06-14 08.38.52.jpg
    2016-06-14 08.38.52.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 2016-06-14 08.40.18.jpg
    2016-06-14 08.40.18.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking on a sharp edge here, but needs to be said.
Everyone is trying to be so nice but,
Please look this link up and wake up, the camino is not all
expressos and lentils ...

A valid point to make. Any endeavour is laden with inherent risk, which needs to be tempered with information that permits us to each make our own informed decisions. That's what I love about this forum.

I walked the Frances in April and May of 2015 and saw the posters of the missing pilgrim. We all need to be vigilant and aware, but with nearly 300,000 now walking the camino routes yearly, this one hideous, unfortunate death speaks incredible odds on the safety of these pilgrimages. Any medium to large sized city in the U.S., where I am from, has many multiples yearly of poor Denise's fate.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of my very best camino experiences was because of going the wrong way out of a town, onto a GR rather than the camino. You never know what you're going to see or encounter.

This is very old news, and an unspeakable tragedy. Many here lived through that, and know it, @ortemio (I was one day ahead of Denise on the Frances and we had met). But not to freak out. It's a whole lot safer walking the camino than it is shopping in other parts of the world.

And about false arrows: walking the camino requires that one continue to think and pay attention to where one is going, rather than blindly following yellow marks on the ground. Anyone with a decent map (and the ability to use it) can tell when they are going in the wrong direction. It has nothing to do with time of day, or light. It's more a matter of attention.
Not to blame Denise for the horror that befell her. But just to know that there are plenty of bogus arrows out there, pointing us to albergues, bars, and towns that want our business. So it pays to do your own wayfinding, rather than tuning out and then blaming the arrow for getting lost. When I got lost, I had the good fortune to get off lightly, unlike Denise - but it sure taught me to the need be more prepared, and to know where I was going.

But just to know that there are plenty of bogus arrows out there, pointing us to albergues, bars, and towns that want our business. So it pays to do your own wayfinding, rather than tuning out and then blaming the arrow for getting lost.
Amen. I downloaded the Guthooks app before I left. Felt like an idiot, the Frances is not the AT. So many people say that one should just be free and follow the way marks, that's all that's necessary. But I did use it, especially at ambiguous crossroads where the marker may not be immediately apparent. There are always opportunities to go off-piste, and as a woman alone, I realise that I will be more vulnerable. Not to mention that with dodgy knees I'm never in the mood to walk any extra kms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the Le Puy much of the route is shared with the GR65. The red/white stripes are on both sides of trees because you walk it in either direction as Santiago is not the destination. I got turned around once following the wrong side of the tree. The sun didn't seem facing the right direction to me so was able to correct myself and thankfully only had to backtrack about 1k.

On the Le Puy much of the route is shared with the GR65. The red/white stripes are on both sides of trees because you walk it in either direction as Santiago is not the destination. I got turned around once following the wrong side of the tree. The sun didn't seem facing the right direction to me so was able to correct myself and thankfully only had to backtrack about 1k.
You have to watch out for errors like this between Finisterre and Muxia too as arrows point both ways.

I goofed like Chris once at home when I lost the trail markings and decided that an unmarked trail was the way to go. It led to the marked trail but the marks I followed were the ones leading me back up the hill I just came down instead of the marks leading to my destination. The good news is that I recognized a view from the hill so I turned back there instead of a hour later.

You have to watch out for errors like this between Finisterre and Muxia too as arrows point both ways.

I goofed like Chris once at home when I lost the trail markings and decided that an unmarked trail was the way to go. It led to the marked trail but the marks I followed were the ones leading me back up the hill I just came down instead of the marks leading to my destination. The good news is that I recognized a view from the hill so I turned back there instead of a hour later.
What goes up, must come down.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

It's about walking your own Camino

@KinkyOne yes I totally agree, check out the route in daylight the day before if possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Well, this time of year, when you get kicked out of the albergue at 8 AM, it's still dark outside, due to the fact that clocks in Spain are an hour ahead of when they're supposed to be. Those ladies at the Burgos municipal don't play.

Secondly, considering the bed race, slow walkers like me don't stand a chance if we don't start an hour or two ahead of everyone else.

Thirdly, walking up a mountainside before dawn to watch the sun rise can be a special part of a Camino experience. ;)

I used to get pains from my pack. The back was not quite the correct size for me. I shortened it (2 notches--it had adjustment mechanisms) and it was much, much better.
Of course, if that is your problem it could be that the pack is too short for you instead of too long!
Also see if the load is out of balance, that can make a big difference.
Thanks for the suggestions re the pack adjustments. I have tried adjusting various things and concluded it was sitting well. But I noticed that moving two light items out of the pack and onto my belt at the front did reduce the pain. So at Leon I packed up some items I could say were not essential and sent them the Santiago post office. (Correos will hold for up to two months. I don’t know what happens after that. )
The parcel was 1.5kg and the pack has been much more bearable since then.
I still have the pack transfer option. I’m in my last week now so perhaps that isn’t necessary.
cheers
Andrew

NancyLee 🙋🏻🎒🚶🏻‍♀️
Am presently in Rabanal del Camino and looking forward to Gregorian Chant tonight!

I cherish the memory of Rabanal and the evening mass at the monastery more than any other place or event on the Camino. As to striking out in the wrong direction, if we didn't do that once in while we wouldn't learn much and there would be no need for pilgramages.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

There is something truly magical on early camino mornings to stop on the trail, turn around, see the spanish sunrise behind you every morning and reflect on how far you’ve come.
That and the solitude of the early morning and waking up properly on the trail with Spain and the sound of the birds and being 100% present.

If you haven’t done it you are missing out.
(I don’t think anyone is talking about walking the majority of their day in the complete dark, maybe just 30 min-1 hour). I know those mornings are some of my favourite camino memories and ones that are harder, if not impossible, to recreate back home.

Earlier starts also mean more siesta opportunities and more afternoon vino! And more time to laugh at yourself for getting lost!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back