• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost interest in PLANNING next Camino…

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
SO... I’ve started plans for many Caminos recently, but they keep getting put aside or changed to a different route. I feel like I’ve lost interest! NOT in walking a Camino - any Camino will do - just the planning part has no interest any more! What’s the deal? Maybe it’s just too early for me. I prefer walking in the Fall, but 2022 seems so far away, and 2021 is already here… Do I just find a good airfare, and go to Spain? Now? I just want to be out there walking - mostly alone, knowing there are good people ahead of me and behind me. But I don’t want to plan ahead, making bed rezzies - except for a few favorite places maybe… I’m fully vaccinated, from the US. Maybe I'll take a peek at airfares…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SO... I’ve started plans for many Caminos recently, but they keep getting put aside or changed to a different route. I feel like I’ve lost interest! NOT in walking a Camino - any Camino will do - just the planning part has no interest any more! What’s the deal? Maybe it’s just too early for me. I prefer walking in the Fall, but 2022 seems so far away, and 2021 is already here… Do I just find a good airfare, and go to Spain? Now? I just want to be out there walking - mostly alone, knowing there are good people ahead of me and behind me. But I don’t want to plan ahead, making bed rezzies - except for a few favorite places maybe… I’m fully vaccinated, from the US. Maybe I'll take a peek at airfares…
I feel much the same except I purposely don't look at airfares. I am definitely not going anywhere outside of Aotearoa New Zealand any time soon. My attention is in my garden, learning Spanish and reviving my computer programming skills while waiting for the Spring rains to moderate so that I can replace the roof of my house.

Give it a rest. There’s more to life than walking in Spain and we’re pretty much all in the same boat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a peek at airfares last night for the first time in forever!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really don't plan.
I buy a ticket (or not)... and I go (or not).
Each time (of 3) what I have loved is not knowing what would be coming next...
I have a ticket for the end of the year... but the airline has changed it, and now it will take me almost 2 days to get to my destination (Segovia) because my flight was moved back by a day and I have a long lay-over (now) in Frankfurt.
Maybe I will cancel...
Dunno.
But I understand about having no stomach for planning. I don't want to get too wedded to the idea that I should be somewhere in particular...
I'm just *here*... keeping on keeping on.
Ultriea et sussiea...

I love this perspective. I’m trying very hard to fight my instincts for planning. I’ve been successful thus far. In Paris and heading to Bordeaux. I think we will start from SJPP around Sept 20th or 21st. Or maybe not!! We could end up back in Maryland if husband’s foot pain doesn’t get better. So, it is hard to say but at least if we have to go home, I haven’t ultra-planned us into an expensive corner!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had similar feelings so I dispensed with planning and booked a cheap ticket to Madrid. I had ordered and received the wrong guide book, my fault, it only has the last 100k of the Camino Sanabres and I will walk from Granja du Moreruela. So I will plod along and it’ll be grand, I’ve two weeks to make Santiago, can’t wait to start walking Tuesday morning 😊 Life is what happens while your busy making other plans !
Buen Camino, John.

I think we are conditioned to plan and try to control everything. To me, one of the main attractions of the Camino is that, at least in the past, one does not need to plan each day. I walked the Frances in July and August this year. Covid has made things more complicated. I want to go on an adventure, a journey of discovery, when I walk a Camino. If I plan too much, then it all feels like a regular vacation. Therefore, I plan as little as possible.

I had similar feelings so I dispensed with planning and booked a cheap ticket to Madrid. I had ordered and received the wrong guide book, my fault, it only has the last 100k of the Camino Sanabres and I will walk from Granja du Moreruela. So I will plod along and it’ll be grand, I’ve two weeks to make Santiago, can’t wait to start walking Tuesday morning 😊 Life is what happens while your busy making other plans !
Buen Camino, John.
As soon as I read: it will be grand, I knew your place of residence! Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m definitely a planner and derive a high level of satisfaction planning our caminos. There are so many interesting facets - the hiking plan, places to stay (some familiar and some new), transportation modes and reservations, backpack transport, etc.

An important milestone I completed this morning is getting approved QR codes for Cindi and me! Our backpacks are loaded (downstairs billiards table is the staging area). One more relaxing day in Indy, then we head to the airport tomorrow.

The weather forecast calls for rain in Madrid, Pamplona, St Jean, and Roncesvalles all this week, but we’re prepared and will be back on the senda soon! Bob

I feel much the same except I purposely don't look at airfares. I am definitely not going anywhere outside of Aotearoa New Zealand any time soon. My attention is in my garden, learning Spanish and reviving my computer programming skills while waiting for the Spring rains to moderate so that I can replace the roof of my house.
I planned 4 years in advance of my first Camino. That experience coincided with retirement, so, I never got tired of planning. Since then I've planned del Norte, the Frances and now the Frances starting in Lourdes. I am not vaccinated, so all I can do is plan (and dream). I walk 40 miles per week as I plan, but I do find myself growing weary of planning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also giving it a rest. I just can't wrap my head around reserving accommodations ahead and dealing with the hassles of the Covid situation. I did check airfares, and they are very cheap for this fall. But, I am not going. I don't know when I will go, when the Spirit moves, I guess. 😕

Honestly, if you give yourself TIME and if you are FLEXIBLE, you don't have to do much planning. Even when it's busy, I've found if I arrive in a village by 2pm, I get a bed. In the rare case the albergue is COMPLETO, I simply give myself the grace to take a taxi or bus to the next place.

€83,-
You plan your Camino? Obviously, you need to pick a route...but the beauty (to me) on the Camino is just hiking and seeing where the day takes me. I hiked Astorga to Cruz de Ferro with an expected stop in Manjarin...nope, felt strong and legs were great and went on to El Acebo (great decision) Same, hiked Palas del Rei to Arzua...it was too early to stop so kept on going to Salceda. In my life, all I do is plan...the Camino gives me a major break from this.

I'm hoping to do Portugal route starting in Porto next year...likely June so I can enjoy the heat and jump in the ocean 3x per day to cool off.

Good luck to you...I wish you all the best

I plan to do the Camino for the first time in June 2022, and I agree, it seems so far away. And with covid complications (and life in general), there's always the chance that it will get postponed, altered, or cancelled altogether.

I was feeling really discouraged by the uncertainty of it all until I realized that I am meant to start my mental and spiritual Camino now. Accepting or even embracing uncertainty is a big part of my personal journey. I'm kick-starting my spiritual work by taking an oath to stop complaining, for example. And I'm enjoying longer and longer training walks which is good for my physical and mental health, not to mention delightful for my dog!

So if my trip is delayed, or I never even step foot on the path before I die, my life has improved so much just by preparing for the Camino.

I get that, but... If you were going to celebrate your 77th birthday this year, on a Camino... might that make a difference?
I was born in 1946, do the math.
I had an airline voucher from TAP from my cancelled trip in 2020, it had to used by early 2022 I booked my flights from Miami to Bilbao and then had a heart attack, then heart failure and had to get a Pacemaker installed a few weeks ago. Meanwhile I was thinking the only impediment I had to deal with was the neuropathy in my right foot. I am going, knock wood. I plan to spend a few days being a tourist in Barcelona because I have never visited it, then........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take a breath. I am in the same position as you are and planning my Norte Camino next September. The urge to walk is so strong and fills my thoughts a lot. Fortunately I live in a state that has so many walking paths, hiking paths, etc that the itch can be scratched. I don't know where you live but you can probably find someplace close to do a day or two of long walks. Good luck. Whatever you decide is good.

I’m definitely a planner and derive a high level of satisfaction planning our caminos. There are so many interesting facets - the hiking plan, places to stay (some familiar and some new), transportation modes and reservations, backpack transport, etc.

An important milestone I completed this morning is getting approved QR codes for Cindi and me! Our backpacks are loaded (downstairs billiards table is the staging area). One more relaxing day in Indy, then we head to the airport tomorrow.

The weather forecast calls for rain in Madrid, Pamplona, St Jean, and Roncesvalles all this week, but we’re prepared and will be back on the senda soon! Bob
Have a great time - I know that you've been planning for a while. Buen Camino.

Don't ask us. Ask yourself and like you said you are 77. I am 67 and then there is this experience:

was born in 1946, do the math.
I had an airline voucher from TAP from my cancelled trip in 2020, it had to used by early 2022 I booked my flights from Miami to Bilbao and then had a heart attack, then heart failure and had to get a Pacemaker installed a few weeks ago. Meanwhile I was thinking the only impediment I had to deal with was the neuropathy in my right foot. I am going, knock wood. I plan to spend a few days being a tourist in Barcelona because I have never visited it, then........
You really don't need anyone's permission anymore :) ;) 👍. You know what you want to do. So just get out there. The pilgrim heart awaits you.

€83,-
It seems that at the moment the Frances is more or less back to what passes for normal these days. It seems that its time for you to itch that scratch and go, even if it means doing a tranche that you have done before. Buen Camino.

I get that, but... If you were going to celebrate your 77th birthday this year, on a Camino... might that make a difference?
I thought I had a creative option for you, but the case failed.

Whilst I feel your frustration, very many of us have been round the plan- book-cancel loop many times in the last 18 months, and none of us are getting any younger.

In the UK we seem to have adopted a ‘get vaccinated and hope it goes away’ policy - my sympathies lie with the Aussies and Kiwis who’ve basically been locked in the cupboard under the stairs for months.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
UPDATE: Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate the options I hadn’t thought about.
Last evening, I booked departing in two weeks. After planning and walking six Caminos, leaving the plans at home on two, and making substantial changes on others, I know this one will happen as it is supposed to - even if it doesn't happen. ;) Gratitudes.

I really don't plan.
I buy a ticket (or not)... and I go (or not).
Each time (of 3) what I have loved is not knowing what would be coming next...
I have a ticket for the end of the year... but the airline has changed it, and now it will take me almost 2 days to get to my destination (Segovia) because my flight was moved back by a day and I have a long lay-over (now) in Frankfurt.
Maybe I will cancel...
Dunno.
But I understand about having no stomach for planning. I don't want to get too wedded to the idea that I should be somewhere in particular...
I'm just *here*... keeping on keeping on.
Ultriea et sussiea...
TAP has great direct flights Toronto to Lisbon under $600. From there you can go to Spain. I’m crossing fingers and toes that my Oct 6th Montreal to Lisbon goes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
UPDATE: Thank you so much for your comments! I appreciate the options I hadn’t thought about.
Last evening, I booked departing in two weeks. After planning and walking six Caminos, leaving the plans at home on two, and making substantial changes on others, I know this one will happen as it is supposed to - even if it doesn't happen. ;) Gratitudes.
Buen Camino!!

Just my opinion, but I call it Covid crazy or tiredness. The rules are constantly changing and I have just given up myself. You need this test and then this test and then blah, blah,blah. I am a Canadian and fully vaccinated, but my Government has yet to come with any type of passport and to return home I need a another test...if I test positive well 10 days in a covid hotel in Santiago....hence I need insurance which adds to the costs. It is a travel landmine field at the moment...the airlines are going broke...travel industry as well. Covid is here to stay...we need to live with it. Further...my wife and I were stuck in Spain when the pandemic was called and we had to exit...the 2 Canadian airlines were hosing people to get home...this is fact not fiction.

Just go…..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just my opinion, but I call it Covid crazy or tiredness. The rules are constantly changing and I have just given up myself. You need this test and then this test and then blah, blah,blah. I am a Canadian and fully vaccinated, but my Government has yet to come with any type of passport and to return home I need a another test...if I test positive well 10 days in a covid hotel in Santiago....hence I need insurance which adds to the costs. It is a travel landmine field at the moment...the airlines are going broke...travel industry as well. Covid is here to stay...we need to live with it. Further...my wife and I were stuck in Spain when the pandemic was called and we had to exit...the 2 Canadian airlines were hosing people to get home...this is fact not fiction.
Agreed. I have been posting responses from time to time since 2012 and maybe a little to often some times but it is amazing the number of positive and negative responses I started receiving the last couple of weeks. Either the interest in the Camino is growing exponentially or the Forum is becoming a hot bed of random opinions.

Honestly, if you give yourself TIME and if you are FLEXIBLE, you don't have to do much planning. Even when it's busy, I've found if I arrive in a village by 2pm, I get a bed. In the rare case the albergue is COMPLETO, I simply give myself the grace to take a taxi or bus to the next place.
Absolutely, Annie. This "philosophy" has worked well for me wherever I've travelled! I'm flexible (almost too much so), have time, and, after all, it is MY Camino to enjoy and take the lumps as they may come... ;)

That's great! I'm starting in Astorga next month, after many delays and reschedules. It's not the perfect time, but a close friend convinced me after asking, "if not now, when?". Been Camino!

Buen Camino!!
Bill, you are partly responsible for my decision! I just read your postings from the Ingles, and remembered mine in the Fall of 2017. I NEED to do it again - once is never enough, I need to see what I missed, and see again what I so enjoyed!! ...even the loooong stretch into Següeiro!
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agreed. I have been posting responses from time to time since 2012 and maybe a little to often some times but it is amazing the number of positive and negative responses I started receiving the last couple of weeks. Either the interest in the Camino is growing exponentially or the Forum is becoming a hot bed of random opinions.
I think you are right on all fronts. I will say that people all over the world are frustrated and covid tired. Negative responses should be in the form of a disagreement not rudeness as this Forum is 99.9999 percent positive and full of good people. I did the Camino 3 years back and plan on doing it again in March. I think all the testing stuff is here to stay and people will just have to adapt. I will return to the Camino in the spring even in bubble wrap if I have to....

TAP has great direct flights Toronto to Lisbon under $600. From there you can go to Spain. I’m crossing fingers and toes that my Oct 6th Montreal to Lisbon goes.
Good luck!
I was looking at those flights last week... considering just *disappearing* from domestic things and going on a camino... checking in on Fridays to teach, and doing my research gig from a different bar each night (I'm in the transcription phase so it is not as bizarre a thought as it might seem).
I might still do it...
There's one big issue I'd like a little less "in the air" before I put myself in the air and on my way.

Well, I had a stable reservation for almost 9 months..
Then in the last 6 weeks needed to change my reservation 5 times. If all goes well we will leave for the CF in one week. Now just watching the 5 tropical storms forming over the Atlantic and wondering if one of these will impact our travel plans.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully Sept 2022 Le Puy.
Too much drama and unknown to plan anything for 2021.
Please be assured the Camino is live and kicking right now. The only drama is where to stop for lunch every day. Currently on Portuguese Camino just out of Barcelos today.
We had our concerns but everything has gone smoothly from flight to feet on ground.
Yes, you need a vaccine passport and an Antigen test (although I hear the test requirement has been withdrawn this week).
We have already met many Europeans, Canadians and Yanks walking the Way, enjoyed their company and shared experiences.
Walked over Ponte das Tabuas today and stopped to swim in the river Neiva, a great end to today's walk.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_155823761.jpg
    IMG_20210912_155823761.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210912_152327304.jpg
    IMG_20210912_152327304.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210912_090808043.jpg
    IMG_20210912_090808043.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210911_165905041.jpg
    IMG_20210911_165905041.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210911_101048542.jpg
    IMG_20210911_101048542.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 32
I
I have totally given up ever leaving Australia. Even if we are allowed to travel sometime in the distant future, I fear that airfares will be out of my league. Living on memories.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bill, you are partly responsible for my decision! I just read your postings from the Ingles, and remembered mine in the Fall of 2017. I NEED to do it again - once is never enough, I need to see what I missed, and see again what I so enjoyed!! ...even the loooong stretch into Següeiro!
Thanks!
Always happy to help for a good cause!

Your’e so lucky you have the choice to be able to go! Our borders are firmly shut here in Australia and we can’t go ANYWHERE!!! Waiting, waiting, waiting….😩😢🥺

I was born in 1946, do the math.

I was born in 1943. Don't do the math :rolleyes: Foot neuropathy and heart issues just make the process all the more interesting and rewarding when we do accomplish our quest, whatever it may be. Best of luck in future questing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m on the Camino now in Los Arcos. I did reserve ahead every stop through Burgos. I would have preferred to be more spontaneous, but this year whole towns are booked out. One fellow peregrino had no reservation in Roncesvalles and had to take a taxi to the next town to find a bed. Some places are available now as we go further, but I’m glad to know I’ll have a place to rest after hiking the hills in this heat! I wouldn’t worry about booking more than a few days ahead. A few felllow peregrinos have been doing that with no problem.

Not much of a planner except for flights there and back, guide books a foreign concept which is not always the smartest decision..

I'm hoping to get back on the Way again at some point but wondering what the current rules are regarding vaccinations, social distancing, mask requirements, etc ? Where do people see the future of the Camino in respect to Covid regulations and its impact ?

Not much of a planner except for flights there and back, guide books a foreign concept which is not always the smartest decision..

I'm hoping to get back on the Way again at some point but wondering what the current rules are regarding vaccinations, social distancing, mask requirements, etc ? Where do people see the future of the Camino in respect to Covid regulations and its impact ?
Lots of information in this subfourm: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🦠-covid-the-camino.220/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Nick

A lot of that will be fluid unfortunately. I'm from the US and the EU just changed recommended requirements for Americans.

I walked the Camaino Inglese last month and for masks it was masks indoors everywhere except when eating and on the streets and walkways if you were close to someone (I think 1.5 meters or less). Even in small towns I kept my mask ready to pull up when I passed somebody on the street or lane.

I tried to maintain social distancing but on some of the lines, such as waiting for the Pilgrims Office to open, people were closer and kept their masks on.

I think I understand your dilemma. I have had to postpone my September 2021 Camino because of a foot injury. I will put my efforts in continuing to plan for Fall 2022 and fantasize at the same time. Regarding your dilemma….. get yourself to Spain and be adventurous living in the moment. Find your accommodations on the same day n’a-t-il you get in the swing of things. The pilgrims you will meet will already have planned and would gladly share accommodations. There are also pensions and hotels available but sleeping Church steps may help you connects oth pilgrims if the past. The Camino provides!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I had a stable reservation for almost 9 months..
Then in the last 6 weeks needed to change my reservation 5 times. If all goes well we will leave for the CF in one week. Now just watching the 5 tropical storms forming over the Atlantic and wondering if one of these will impact our travel plans.
After living for a number of years in Pays Basque what I learned about the Atlantic Hurricane season is the storms that hit the Canadian Maritime provinces are the ones that seem to cross the Atlantic and stir up the weather around the Bay of Biscay and northern Spanish coast. Biarritz and most of the Camino is on latitude 43, Bruswick, Maine is at latitude 43 and so the jet streams that steer these storms brings them straight across the ocean. The random storms that get lost in the Atlantic rarely cause problems for Spain.

Hi Nick

A lot of that will be fluid unfortunately. I'm from the US and the EU just changed recommended requirements for Americans.

I walked the Camaino Inglese last month and for masks it was masks indoors everywhere except when eating and on the streets and walkways if you were close to someone (I think 1.5 meters or less). Even in small towns I kept my mask ready to pull up when I passed somebody on the street or lane.

I tried to maintain social distancing but on some of the lines, such as waiting for the Pilgrims Office to open, people were closer and kept their masks on.
Thanks Bill, fluid as you say and we wait and see what the future holds.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I truely enjoy planning my Camino, this time we are taking our time no greater then 25 km per day. Hopefully we will be allowed to leave Australia to travel overseas.

I

I have totally given up ever leaving Australia. Even if we are allowed to travel sometime in the distant future, I fear that airfares will be out of my league. Living on memories.
Hi Taigirl - I can understand you feeling that way (I'm also in Australia (at Pretty Beach, north of Sydney in Week 11 of current lockdown). When you look at airfares now they are SO expensive - it's a bit of a shock - but also there are few flights operating between Australia and Europe.

I am optimistic that with more demand (once our borders open) there will be much more competition, and after a short while prices will settle. Hope so ...

P.S. We have our eye on Via de la Plata / Sanabres starting 1 April, 2022. We feel cautiously confident about that. Let's call it a 'post-it note' rather than a plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait what? I do not know what 'hosing people' means. Surely not spraying down passengers...surely not....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear OTH
Thank you for getting me to think about this topic. I have always considered myself a planner, but I just realized what it is I love is collecting data! I then, of course, put these data to use as needed and as decisions need to be made. At the very least, I know where to go to find information.
As to walking, I do not micro-manage my journey. Trusting and letting the Camino unfold is important to me.
I am happy you have found a good flight and soon will see what your journey will offer you. I will be walking at the beginning of November. Maybe we will cross paths, all unplanned! Ultreia

I agree off the road by 2pm, wash cleanup and a wander around , a few drinks and let the body recover for the next wonderful day.

Just get on a plane and go. My only concerns are getting in and out of Spain. Everything else I will adapt to as I walk,.

It's an estrange feeling and I understand the way you are feeling. After many times planning and cancelling in the last year, I think life is a balancing act, and we need to get the most out it. Just need a plan B to go back home, just in case , the new normal?

I'm leaving for Logroño this Friday and I haven't planned not even half of the trip in comparison with the first time , I dont believe I'm going until I get there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've made the mistake of checking airfares, and there are some real bargains right now! But what's holding me back is the prospect of spending 20 hours in airports and airplanes. From where I live it takes several flights to get to Europe - that's a lot of time in close quarters with many strangers.

I think that I have enough airline miles to book a trip for next Spring, so maybe that's where I'll put my Camino planning energy.

I'm right in their with you. I've lost my zip after so many plans, changes, etc. I just packed it all up in my back pack.With the decision came a real let down and I too just want to walk and be there but don't want to go through all of the possibilities, changes, planning ahead.Perhaps by springtime, I will just take off and go, without any planning.Aloha, follow your heart.

Planning? What planning is there? :) You need a few changes of clothes, some basic toiletries, a raincoat for autumn, good shoes and a comfortable backpack, poles can be got when you arrive. That's it.

Booking a flight is easy if you have a range of dates possible. So that's that.

You will be going in the quieter months so no booking ahead is needed. The hostels will be practically begging for you to stay with them :) (I spent the first 2 weeks of the camino not booking ahead with two exceptions, and I had no problem, and that was during the busiest time of the year.)

You have the trial vaccine shot so you will have a good deal less hassle than some of us who have to go down the testing route for now each time we travel so that'll be a breeze.

You probably could pick up a travel map but even that is not strictly needed as your phone and the plentiful arrows will lead you all the way.

No Excuses. Make it happy! And have a wonderful time! I did mine in July-August. :)

No time like the present. Just do it. 😀
We postponed our Camino twice to but all systems go now for 10/10. Can’t wait. My bag is packed. …….no more delays.
Buen Camino.

Arrived in Barcelona 4 days ago, I had to jump thru more hoops boarding Delta out of the U.S. than entering Spain - QR code and that was it. Flew to Porto today and was asked for nothing - checked in on my phone. Hotel in Porto did ask for Covid Test, didn’t care about Vaccination card. Seeing lots of Pilgrims in Porto.

Even though I think planning it’s good, can also take way the reason for the Camino if you know what I mean, resistance its in the way of everything we do, so stop planning pack your backpack buy a ticket and go, the Camino will sort things out for you :)

zzotte

2 years ago I walked part of the Northern route—from Bilbao to Santander—in mid-October and it was lovely. I met one other pilgrim along the way. Walking along the coast was incredible. Great scenery each day. Stayed in 2 albergues. Many were closed. All kinds of weather. Bus transportation was superb.

Ditto. Will all darn MIQ not being able to come back staying out this yr. But will definitely go next yr in May even if it’s on a 1-way ticket as can stay as long as I want with an EU passport. Missing Spain and Europe and have enough of winters. 2 in a row is 2 too many

I realized after I had arrived for my first Camino I had planned too much. I put away my vital notes to myself and let my steps lead me. Some plan lots and some not at all, my next one’s planning will just be my plane ticket

€83,-
A very interesting thread...one that has made me think a bit. I really enjoy the planning process whether it be a Camino or other walk. Some planning is detailed...most often mostly a wish. I don't think I will ever tire of it...I walk in my dreams.

I realize I have been mostly tired of trying to figure out when I can return to walk a Camino. Like many I postponed a 2020 Camino...postponed a 2021 Camino...now a 2022 Camino. However when I can walk is clear...answer is right now. I am simply making a choice to wait ...nothing is in the way except my own personal risk tolerance and to be frank that of my immediate family. Makes it easier to think of it that way.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance...no one's judgement is better than the next persons as we all approach go/no go decisions from differing perspectives. My immediate family (spouse-Y, 3 children -Y,Y, son-in-law - Y, daughter-in-law and 2 young grandchildren...Note Y = Actuary so you know risk discussions are interesting with 4 Actuaries in the family...also I was a 70% Actuary 40 yrs ago and then said why not marry one!) simply does not understand why I or anyone would want to walk a Camino.

"Why Dad would you want to walk day in day out long distances etc. etc. etc.?" I don't have to explain why to anyone reading this...

So I am waiting for that elusive tipping point where a go decision is right for me...I expect/hope that to be 2022.

I am really happy for those that have/are/will walk Camino paths in 2021. I am pulling for each of you to have the best Camino experience ever...enjoy! You are helping many who provide Pilgrim services survive economically. You are also nudging me ever closer to making a go decision.

Assuming I go in 2022 then I expect many who are also waiting will also go...2022 should be most interesting...a Papal Year. 2019 - 347.6K compostela's, 2020 - 54.1K, 2021(August) - 98.0K, 2022 - ?

Hmmm...perhaps have to start looking for that somewhat less travelled Camino...or maybe I want to be part of a once in a lifetime experience of walking with the many.

Buen Camino!

Guy

2 years ago I walked part of the Northern route—from Bilbao to Santander—in mid-October and it was lovely. I met one other pilgrim along the way. Walking along the coast was incredible. Great scenery each day. Stayed in 2 albergues. Many were closed. All kinds of weather. Bus transportation was superb.
I am landing in Bilbao September 28. And I’ve been conflicted about whether to walk the Le Puy or travel on the Dell Norte. I have till Nov.4, when I return.
I speak better French than Spanish, and I’ve been yearning to go on the French route… So this is probably what I will do. However if the weather’s terrible, then I might choose another direction. Any thoughts?

I am landing in Bilbao September 28. And I’ve been conflicted about whether to walk the Le Puy or travel on the Dell Norte. I have till Nov.4, when I return.
I speak better French than Spanish, and I’ve been yearning to go on the French route… So this is probably what I will do. However if the weather’s terrible, then I might choose another direction. Any thoughts?
Hi Richmond - well, there will be no wrong decision here. And there will be many on the forum who have had wonderful experiences on both routes.

If you have been 'yearning' to walk the Le Puy way, maybe let that be your guide? When I decided to walk the Le Puy - it was not my original intention - after two Caminos Frances. After all, it wasn't Spain! But I ended up there.

I LOVED the Le Puy route and I spoke very little French, so you will have no problem. That was in 2014 and, since then, my understanding is that there are more native English speakers on the Way. For stunning scenery, and countless picturesque villages and towns (big and small), the Le Puy is right up there in my view. Oh, and the food! The first week or so is pretty hard going, as in a lot of climbing but your efforts will be rewarded. Also, Le Puy is a beautiful town. If you do decide on the Le Puy route, suggest giving yourself a day there to enjoy!

As an aside, I met a Frenchman on Day 19 of Le Puy route - we were staying in the same gite. We are married now. But that's not the only reason it's one of my favourite caminos. Also my French has improved since then, but not greatly!

Buen Camino - or Bon Chemin.
Jenny

Planning? What planning is there? :) You need a few changes of clothes, some basic toiletries, a raincoat for autumn, good shoes and a comfortable backpack, poles can be got when you arrive. That's it.

Booking a flight is easy if you have a range of dates possible. So that's that.

You will be going in the quieter months so no booking ahead is needed. The hostels will be practically begging for you to stay with them :) (I spent the first 2 weeks of the camino not booking ahead with two exceptions, and I had no problem, and that was during the busiest time of the year.)

You have the trial vaccine shot so you will have a good deal less hassle than some of us who have to go down the testing route for now each time we travel so that'll be a breeze.

You probably could pick up a travel map but even that is not strictly needed as your phone and the plentiful arrows will lead you all the way.

No Excuses. Make it happy! And have a wonderful time! I did mine in July-August. :)
Thanks for the boost! I'm leaving for Spain in a week.
Re planning -- I just love to plan - like a lot of folks on the Forum. My six or seven caminos got lots of planning, and then they did as THEY pleased, and I had a wonderful time! This time, I've eschewed the planning - but I had to take what came along, because everything fell into place. I AM happy! Way happier than I was a week ago!! =)

A very interesting thread...one that has made me think a bit. I really enjoy the planning process whether it be a Camino or other walk. Some planning is detailed...most often mostly a wish. I don't think I will ever tire of it...I walk in my dreams.

I realize I have been mostly tired of trying to figure out when I can return to walk a Camino. Like many I postponed a 2020 Camino...postponed a 2021 Camino...now a 2022 Camino. However when I can walk is clear...answer is right now. I am simply making a choice to wait ...nothing is in the way except my own personal risk tolerance and to be frank that of my immediate family. Makes it easier to think of it that way.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance...no one's judgement is better than the next persons as we all approach go/no go decisions from differing perspectives. My immediate family (spouse-Y, 3 children -Y,Y, son-in-law - Y, daughter-in-law and 2 young grandchildren...Note Y = Actuary so you know risk discussions are interesting with 4 Actuaries in the family...also I was a 70% Actuary 40 yrs ago and then said why not marry one!) simply does not understand why I or anyone would want to walk a Camino.

"Why Dad would you want to walk day in day out long distances etc. etc. etc.?" I don't have to explain why to anyone reading this...

So I am waiting for that elusive tipping point where a go decision is right for me...I expect/hope that to be 2022.

I am really happy for those that have/are/will walk Camino paths in 2021. I am pulling for each of you to have the best Camino experience ever...enjoy! You are helping many who provide Pilgrim services survive economically. You are also nudging me ever closer to making a go decision.

Assuming I go in 2022 then I expect many who are also waiting will also go...2022 should be most interesting...a Papal Year. 2019 - 347.6K compostela's, 2020 - 54.1K, 2021(August) - 98.0K, 2022 - ?

Hmmm...perhaps have to start looking for that somewhat less travelled Camino...or maybe I want to be part of a once in a lifetime experience of walking with the many.

Buen Camino!

Guy

Wonderful thought process, @GuyA . Thanks for this! I'm so grateful that this thread has developed like it has - I had no idea, and no PLAN that it should do so. I was just unhappy, and needed the outlet.

You're so right that we, each of us, have different risk tolerances, and since we don't really KNOW each other, how can we possibly judge whether a fellow Forum member is making an appropriate decision or not. I'm not the same person I was three weeks ago when I was not at all ready to travel ...

BTW, @GuyA , I SO enjoyed your posts some time ago about walking west from eastern Switzerland...

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even though I think planning it’s good, can also take way the reason for the Camino if you know what I mean, resistance its in the way of everything we do, so stop planning pack your backpack buy a ticket and go, the Camino will sort things out for you :)

zzotte
Thanks 🙏, @zzotte - I DO know what you mean, and It already has! I leave in a week...

Travel is more fun without plans. My planning consisted only of checking airfares and dates. That determined the route and date. Everything else just happened. I'd read other writing about the right wy to train. I didn't train—I just walked. No injuries, not even from a 66-kilometer day in Peruvian mountains. So I have my doubts on the value of training. And I was 64 years old on that 66-kilometer day.

Hi Richmond - well, there will be no wrong decision here. And there will be many on the forum who have had wonderful experiences on both routes.

If you have been 'yearning' to walk the Le Puy way, maybe let that be your guide? When I decided to walk the Le Puy - it was not my original intention - after two Caminos Frances. After all, it wasn't Spain! But I ended up there.

I LOVED the Le Puy route and I spoke very little French, so you will have no problem. That was in 2014 and, since then, my understanding is that there are more native English speakers on the Way. For stunning scenery, and countless picturesque villages and towns (big and small), the Le Puy is right up there in my view. Oh, and the food! The first week or so is pretty hard going, as in a lot of climbing but your efforts will be rewarded. Also, Le Puy is a beautiful town. If you do decide on the Le Puy route, suggest giving yourself a day there to enjoy!

As an aside, I met a Frenchman on Day 19 of Le Puy route - we were staying in the same gite. We are married now. But that's not the only reason it's one of my favourite caminos. Also my French has improved since then, but not greatly!

Buen Camino - or Bon Chemin.
Jenny
What a wonderful story! And with a happy ending… thanks for the encouragement. I am very much looking forward to walking on the Le Puy route.

€46,-
What a wonderful story! And with a happy ending… thanks for the encouragement. I am very much looking forward to walking on the Le Puy route.
One more,thing … which you may already be aware of. There is (or was?) a pilgrims service early each morning at the Cathédrale Notre Dame.

I am not a practising anything … but it was a wonderful way to begin. Most pilgrims were there with their backpacks and left directly afterwards, down the steep stairs of the cathedral and on their way. It was something. 🙏

My memory was that, after making our way down the stairs, it was all uphill from there for most of the day. 🤣❤️🇫🇷

Sorry. I guess this should be on a Le Puy thread now. Oh well … 😀

We are looking at 2022-3 as my husband is desperate to do another one. He will be 82 and I will be 77, but we did Pamplona to Santiago in 2019 with no problems. Physically we will be ok but every now and then I get terrified at the thought of COVID.

We have been in lockdown internationally since March 2020. No international flights for recreational or private purposes …
All our plans have been cancelled multiple times.
I know just how you feel - planning anything has no appeal whatsoever. Commiserations… 😷🥲
We have curfews, and just this week gone to 15 km limit for essential only shopping by one person. Just a walk in the local park is our ‘outing’ with masks on and keeping our distance.
Communication is by email or on zoom 😱
We are double vaxed and would love to plan and travel, alas it will not be this year. Maybe 2022

We have been here three weeks now and currently in a rather wet O'Cebreiro.
We are staying in mostly albergues with private accommodation. We feel safer here than in the UK as most people wear masks here.

It's definitely a good time to visit Spain, I mean, who is to say that 2022 will be any better!

But, it is getting cooler, and the leaves are turning.....

Like many others who have posted, I love planning. Or perhaps more accurately I love the anticipation of the journey that planning provides and enhances.

That said, my "planning" for the past 18 months has mostly involved watching YouTube videos that pilgrims have posted. I'm pretty sure I've seen every decent (and some not-so-decent) video that has been posted to YouTube. Hundreds of hours of watching, and dreaming... I've followed many many vloggers from day 1 to their final day.

Having not yet had the experience I do worry a bit that I might be making a mistake by watching so much video footage. I worry that it could take away from some of the surprises along the way - some sections I feel like I know well already, just from seeing countless video blogs. Or it might cause me to form opinions in advance, or influence those thoughts and opinions. But this is what has helped me get through the pandemic when I can't travel outside my country. I find myself gravitating to these videos almost nightly to get a quick dose of the Camino.

Hard to believe that two years ago I had never heard of the Camino. I stumbled across it while researching multi-day hikes around the world, and since that day it has completely consumed my thoughts for a year and a half. If it wasn't for this annoying need to hold down a job to pay the bills I would be out there walking right now. Instead I find myself desperately looking for ways to take 6 weeks off of work without the requirement to check my emails daily. I know I could walk just a portion of the route, like many do, however I feel the need to walk the full route. On subsequent Caminos I may decide to walk just certain portions, but it's important for me to make my first Camino the full route from SJPDP to Santiago (and perhaps on to the coast from there).

And thanks to this forum, which allows all of us to research/plan/discuss/debate/ and just live/breathe the Camino, even though we aren't actually walking at the moment.

IN RETROSPECT --- SOOOO glad I did it! Oh my gosh!!! AT THAT TIME, 9/30 - 10/30, everything went well. Seattle to Madrid via London worked well since I had just a 2 hour transfer, without coming out of security and immigration. Arrival in Madrid and going thru formalities was easy - AT THAT TIME.
SO many incredible experiences and people! Whether it was the Camino at work or other reasons, I am SO grateful to have had this opportunity at this time!

IN RETROSPECT --- SOOOO glad I did it! Oh my gosh!!! AT THAT TIME, 9/30 - 10/30, everything went well. Seattle to Madrid via London worked well since I had just a 2 hour transfer, without coming out of security and immigration. Arrival in Madrid and going thru formalities was easy - AT THAT TIME.
SO many incredible experiences and people! Whether it was the Camino at work or other reasons, I am SO grateful to have had this opportunity at this time!
It looks like we overlapped in Spain for part of that time: I was walking the Levante and onward from mid-September to November, while you were on your own pilgrim walk. Everything went well in my travels also, with the necessary flexibility for a time of pandemic. I found what planning I needed to do, to get through various airports and eventually home, to be complicated and stressful, but carried it out successfully. I do not yet know whether I shall go back this year. Blessings on all your journeying. Stay well.

It looks like we overlapped in Spain for part of that time: I was walking the Levante and onward from mid-September to November, while you were on your own pilgrim walk. Everything went well in my travels also, with the necessary flexibility for a time of pandemic. I found what planning I needed to do, to get through various airports and eventually home, to be complicated and stressful, but carried it out successfully. I do not yet know whether I shall go back this year. Blessings on all your journeying. Stay well.
SO glad you had a successful trip @Albertagirl . Hopefully, your knee handled all that walking! Sorry to hear about the complications you had getting home. Be safe and Buen Camino!

Just wanted to say your description of your life made me feel a pang of envy <3

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back