• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost & Found Lost Merrell shoes from Larrasoaña albergue

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances & Camino Portuguese
Moderator note: @MauraO is posting on behalf of a fellow pilgrim named David.

Help,
Good morning - my size 12 (US) grey/blue Merrell shoes were mistakenly taken this morning and I was left a very nice pair of size 11 (US) brown Merrell shoes instead. I’m sure this was just an innocent mistake but I’d be most grateful to get my shoes back! I’ll be in Pamplona this afternoon and tomorrow and I hope to be able to swap. Can you help? If so please send a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I hope the shoes are located and swapped back.
I know this may be like locking the barn door after the horse got out, and my intention is not to be judgemental or condescending, but I would recommend to future pilgrims, new pilgrims etc to remove the insoles from their shoes/boots before putting on an albergue shoe rack to avoid things like this happening unintentionally or otherwise. You can store the insoles in an outside pocket of your pack or just bring a plastic bag to keep them in if you don't want them in the pack with your clean clothing etc.
Nobody is going to accidentally walk off with the wrong shoes if there's no insoles in them. It's immediately apparent something is amiss when one puts on shoes without them. I know because on more than one morning I put them on at the albergue forgetting the insoles were in my pack.
I also tie my shoes together with the laces. I met one pilgrim who replaced the factory laces on her shoes with bright pink ones and another pilgrim I met had stenciled his first name on the sides of the shoes.

So you did not lose your shoes but someone else did?

And the missing shoes are MEN's shoes?
Yes they are men’s shoes - while walking along David mentioned what had happened this morning and I advised that he tried this forum so he put up the post under my posts (as he was not a member himself - I did not know how to post onto the ‘live’ posts, but luckily a very helpful member at home saw the misplaced message and moved it to the lost & found thread 😊

This same accidental thing happened on my very first camino in 2015, coincidently with Merrell Moabs. Both men got blisters; one from too tight shoes, the other one from a sloppy fit. The "Camino provided" by way of a taxi...the men, and their shoes, were happily reunited by the end of the day.

I read your post earlier. It is striking me that the owner of the smaller shoes may have swollen feet and may not notice till this evening. Wonderful things can happen, so don't let your husband lose hope. I do hope he has alternative footwear till his own reappears. All the ideas about removing insoles, tying laces, wrapping in bags - they will prevent this kind of thing happening. Doesn't help right now. Especially knowing what a pair of shoes can cost...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I read your post earlier. It is striking me that the owner of the smaller shoes may have swollen feet and may not notice till this evening. Wonderful things can happen, so don't let your husband lose hope. I do hope he has alternative footwear till his own reappears. All the ideas about removing insoles, tying laces, wrapping in bags - they will prevent this kind of thing happening. Doesn't help right now. Especially knowing what a pair of shoes can cost...
I have to stress that the person concerned is not my husband 🤣 but a fellow pilgrim that I met on the way to Pamplona. As happens along the Way one person’s difficulty becomes the discussion of all other pilgrims encountered along the way. A pilgrim called Alexandria posted a message onto a Camino Facebook page, and many more spread the word in the hope that a message would reach the person with with the boots a size too large!
We all have his email in the case of someone hearing any news - it did not transfer with the message though (due to data issues maybe?🤔 )

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have to stress that the person concerned is not my husband 🤣 but a fellow pilgrim that I met on the way to Pamplona. As happens along the Way one person’s difficulty becomes the discussion of all other pilgrims encountered along the way. A pilgrim called Alexandria posted a message onto a Camino Facebook page, and many more spread the word in the hope that a message would reach the person with with the boots a size too large!
We all have his email in the case of someone hearing any news - it did not transfer with the message though (due to data issues maybe?🤔 )
Sorry, wrong assumption!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just curious about this topic about mistaken shoes --- we'll be staying in private rooms in the albergues, do we leave our shoes in the public shoe area or can we take them into our room? Just wondering... thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just curious about this topic about mistaken shoes --- we'll be staying in private rooms in the albergues, do we leave our shoes in the public shoe area or can we take them into our room? Just wondering... thanks in advance!
I've always taken them into my room when staying in private rooms.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back