A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Lost Lost my credential at km 33

Santiago Photo Book

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Bummer! But, this does happen.

If you are lucky: (A) your name is in it, (B) someone will mail it or hand carry it to the Pilgrims Office at Santiago, and (C) if A & B are true, you can ask there if it was turned in.

Regardless, immediately obtain another blank credential and start obtaining sellos as normal.

Also, if you used a smartphone to take photos on your Camino, figure out how to sort them by place and date. Most all smart phones will do this.

When you get to the counter at the Pilgrim Office, they will look for your lost credential. However, if it does not turn up, you MIGHT be able to support your case for a Compostela using the photos you took in date order that establish your line of march along a Camino route.

This is NOT a guarantee. But absent a complete credencial. It is the only objective evidence you have to support your claim.

Hope this helps. Miracles DO happen on the Camino. Have faith!

Last edited:

Saranger

Camino(s) past & future
Samos-Santiago 2015 & 2016
Porto-Santiago 2017
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Ferrol-Santiago May 2019
A reminder to all to put your email address and phone number on your credencial as well as your name (Facebook/social media also if you use it).

And tell everyone you see coming behind you know of your lost credential. Someone has seen it or knows where it is.

My credencial went off on it’s own on my second Camino Francés. I was able to retrieve it the next morning, along with a lovely note from from the person who found it.

I wish the same outcome for you!

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-SANT-FIN (09/2018)
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe (01/2019)
SJPdP- Meseta (28/09/2019)
You could hop a bus and return to km 100 and get on and off local bus picking up stamps as you go in your new credential and return to where you last walked and continue to Santiago

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
You could hop a bus and return to km 100 and get on and off local bus picking up stamps as you go in your new credential and return to where you last walked and continue to Santiago
I would rather not encourage using motorized transport to accomplish one's camino, either contemporaneously, or after the fact.

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-SANT-FIN (09/2018)
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe (01/2019)
SJPdP- Meseta (28/09/2019)
I would rather not encourage using motorized transport to accomplish one's camino, either contemporaneously, or after the fact.
I would say that it happens more often than people are prepared to admit for example some pilgrim's I met were time limited due to travel deadlines so skipped meseta so they had time to arrive in Santiago and may not have walked 799 km but walked more than those pilgrim's whos journey begins in Sarria plus requirement for pilgrim office for compestella encourages last 100km . The difference here is that the Pilgrim has already walked the trail and having misplaced credential I believe is excused for retracing steps without having to literally retrace steps, especially if under time constraints.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I have personally leapfrogged during pilgrimages. There is nothing wrong with doing so. Personally, I try to do it only for medical reasons. Only in the final 100 km do you risk running afoul of the rules for obtaining the Compostela.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%