• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost my guidebook AND my shorts... adventures on the Camino Frances

NadineK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Hi fellow peregrinos!

I walked the Camino Frances from June-July 2014 and kept a blog while I was there... now that I'm back and missing the Camino every day, I've started to live vicariously through others' blogs. I thought I would share mine in case it brings back memories for those of you who have already walked, or could be of any help for those planning to walk.

http://singlestepcamino.wordpress.com/

What a trip. Losing my guidebook turned out to be the best possible thing. Losing my shorts... not so much. What did you lose along the way?

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One pair of shorts and one t-shirt. Left them on the drying line and forgot them. Dammit! ha ha
Hope whomever has them appreciates them. ;)
Oh, and forgot to mention on my first Camino left a great pair of flip-flop sandals at an albergue. Those were some great sandals. Got them in the Philippines. Very sturdy with tire rubber soles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi fellow peregrinos!

I walked the Camino Frances from June-July 2014 and kept a blog while I was there... now that I'm back and missing the Camino every day, I've started to live vicariously through others' blogs. I thought I would share mine in case it brings back memories for those of you who have already walked, or could be of any help for those planning to walk.

What a trip. Losing my guidebook turned out to be the best possible thing. Losing my shorts... not so much. What did you lose along the way?

Buen Camino!
7 pounds of unnecessary items -- all sent back to USA on day 4. 1 "Srubby", receipts, heavy shower kit holder/with hook, convertible pants, 2 tops, bracelet, 2 L water bottle, make up & extra lotion.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I lost three toe nails and found my smile. The Camino is a positive addiction for me too. Your blog is lovely and the photographs are first rate. Thanks for sharing.
Losing toenails ouch!! I definitely found my smile, too. I lost a whole bunch of stuff along the way, but in the end I gained so much more... thanks for your kind words about my blog, and buen camino!

One pair of shorts and one t-shirt. Left them on the drying line and forgot them. Dammit! ha ha
Hope whomever has them appreciates them. ;)
Oh, and forgot to mention on my first Camino left a great pair of flip-flop sandals at an albergue. Those were some great sandals. Got them in the Philippines. Very sturdy with tire rubber soles.
I also lost a t-shirt... and a pair of socks... I kept thinking that hopefully it meant that someone could benefit from them more than I could (although who would want to wear someone else's socks, I don't know). :) But maybe your flip flops found a good home?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I lost or forgot a new pair of Smartwool socks in Astorga. The next afternoon we walked into the wonderful Confraternity albergue in Rabanal and I checked their Lost/Found/NeedSomething box near the registration desk and was happy to find a pair of new Smartwool socks of a different colour than mine that seemed to be waiting for me! The lost toenails came later.

I also lost a t-shirt... and a pair of socks... I kept thinking that hopefully it meant that someone could benefit from them more than I could (although who would want to wear someone else's socks, I don't know). :) But maybe your flip flops found a good home?
Ha ha, I sure hope they did.
In two Caminos I probably deliberately left in albergues (in donation boxes/tabletops, etc) 10-12 items I decided I did not need anymore. Some of that was good stuff, but at the time I really wanted to lighten the pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nadine, I enjoyed reading your blog. It's very well written. As Pepe, from San Nicolas, suggested, perhaps you should write a book. :)

Best regards,
Mary

I lost: some possessions stupidly left on clothes lines, 10 kg of body fat and lots of cares and woes; but nothing compares to what I found: my sanity, new friends and a total appreciation for healing ability of walking the Caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nadine, I enjoyed reading your blog. It's very well written. As Pepe, from San Nicolas, suggested, perhaps you should write a book. :)

Best regards,
Mary
Thank you Mary! I'd love to somehow do more with my Camino writing, so I need to stay in the spirit of that journey and put one foot in front of the other and start moving. :)

I haven't had time to read it all, but your blog is wonderful. I love how you start each day right in the midst of the moment. Sonetime this spring I came across one of those "Before I Die..." walls walking through a nearby neighborhood here in Austin. I picked up the chalk off the ground and wrote, "Walk the Camino." I leave Tuesday!

Thanks for sharing your stories.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the pant-legs of a friend's convertible pants went missing and it was deeply missed. Either it fell out of or didn't get put in the backpack at an albergue during the "dorm floor chaos" and stealth of an early morning semi-darkness get-away or another pilgrim mistakenly took it during their own leave-taking. Of course, its absence wasn't discovered until a day or so later. Messages up and down the Camino failed to locate the missing part.

Hi fellow peregrinos!

Buen Camino!
I lost my heart and miss the journey every single day since I returned

Lost 7 pounds of fat, my smartphone (best example of blessing in disguise), most of my toe nails (eventually they fell off after the walk), lost my worries, stress and attachment to a clock (surprising how my bio-clock filled that gap quickly), and most importantly my initial hesitations about the Camino. All this in two weeks :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't had time to read it all, but your blog is wonderful. I love how you start each day right in the midst of the moment. Sonetime this spring I came across one of those "Before I Die..." walls walking through a nearby neighborhood here in Austin. I picked up the chalk off the ground and wrote, "Walk the Camino." I leave Tuesday!

Thanks for sharing your stories.
You're very welcome, and thank you so much for such nice words. Have a wonderful, wonderful time on your Camino, I'm so happy for you that your journey is soon to begin! Buen Camino!

Lost 7 pounds of fat, my smartphone (best example of blessing in disguise), most of my toe nails (eventually they fell off after the walk), lost my worries, stress and attachment to a clock (surprising how my bio-clock filled that gap quickly), and most importantly my initial hesitations about the Camino. All this in two weeks :)
Isn't it amazing what even just a few days on the Camino can do? Losing my guidebook was definitely a blessing in disguise for me, though I probably would have had a harder time accepting the loss of my smartphone (mostly because it held so many of the photos I took!) But how amazing that you were able to see it as a blessing in disguise- that is truly, truly in the spirit of the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, earlier on the Camino (alto de Pedron) I had quite a fall and damaged my right knee. I pressed on using the walking stick I'd carried on many long walks (AT 2164 miles/3483km). By Burgos and after the Dr in Estella told me to go home...I realized I needed to be both more mobile and stable. Thus the forearm crutches.
Although technically, I didn't "lose" my walking stick...by sacrificing my past accomplishments, I gained the ability to complete new ones. Thus three Caminos under the stars and the fourth in 24 days.
Buen "it only gets better" Camino,
Arn

Hi fellow peregrinos!

Buen Camino!

Hahaha, great thread. I lost several things but many of them, including my iPhone (which I had lost between Astorga and Rabanal while using a bush several yards from the Camino) were miraculous returned to me! I have yet to write the blog post about that; I am still catching up on entries.
I lost my heart to my Camino family. A wonderful loss in my life:D
Buen Camino

John, I too, "lost my heart" to my Camino family; what an amazing experience! And what a gift to have found them in first place, no? ;)

Hahaha, great thread. I lost several things but many of them, including my iPhone (which I had lost between Astorga and Rabanal while using a bush several yards from the Camino) were miraculous returned to me! I have yet to write the blog post about that; I am still catching up on entries.

John, I too, "lost my heart" to my Camino family; what an amazing experience! And what a gift to have found them in first place, no? ;)

A gift that just keeps on giving Alyssa, keeps on pleasing, keeps me smiling, keeps on bringing joy, keeps reminding me how blessed I am.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Alyssa, how great that some of your lost items were returned to you. The miracle of the Camino. :) It looks like we were on the Camino at a similar time this summer, I hope it was a great experience for you. Can't wait to check out your blog!

It DOES look like we were on the Camino right around the same time. There were a few Forum members there; Neusaplillis was a couple days or so behind me pretty much the whole time and we hoped to meet but it just never happened. The funny thing was that he met one of my good friends, Armanda, who stayed behind because of injuries and I met one of his friends, Jose Antonio who somehow got ahead of him. They would post photos of themselves together on my Facebook wall...it was hilarious! Anyway, it's amazing how even 25 km can keep two pilgrims apart.

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting; I'm glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading yours!

@NadineK , @Alyssa -

Your blogs were very enjoyable. I found myself missing the Camino more powerfully than usual this afternoon and your wonderful writing and photography took me back to a place quiet and full of beauty.

Thank you!

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back