• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost & Found Lost-now-Found Credencial - Oct 2, 2021, Foncebadon

StephGosselin

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Fellow Pilgrims on the Camino,
I’m currently at Foncebadon and just about filled with one credencial….and lost it during dinner. I worked really hard to fill it and am super bummed. Question: i can start again but will I get credit for a distance certificate when I arrive in Santiago with a lost credencial….if someone finds it, how can I get it returned to me?
I only have wi-fi when available while on the camino, so Ill check back on the forum at the next albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear that Steph and I hope your lost credenciale finds its way back to you. Lots of serendipitous things happen on The Way.

In the meantime, I don’t know about the technicalities of the distance certificate - others will - but just wanted to offer this - don’t let this loss get in the way of having a wonderful rest of Camino. Enjoy every day and every step. When you get to Santiago you will know how far you’ve come. The journey is the reward. Buen Camino 🙏

I’m currently at Foncebadon and just about filled with one credencial….and lost it during dinner. I worked really hard to fill it and am super bummed. Question: i can start again but will I get credit for a distance certificate when I arrive in Santiago with a lost credencial….if someone finds it, how can I get it returned to me?
I only have wi-fi when available while on the camino, so Ill check back on the forum at the next albergue.
Hopefully, you filled in your name on the lost credential. Some here have suggested adding your email address, which I will do in the future.
But to answer your other questions - yes, you can start again with a new credential. Perhaps write your starting point in it. When you arrive at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago explain what happened, and hopefully they will give you the distance certificate with the complete distance.
Also, if you belong to any FB Camino groups post there with your full name to let people know that you are looking for your lost Camino.
¡Buena suerte!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to learn of this complication. Do you remember where you ate in Foncebadon? If it was a resto or cafe ie. not an outside picnic you might contact that place and ask if your credential is there.

Good luck.

I'm sorry this happened to you, Steph.
i can start again but will I get credit for a distance certificate when I arrive in Santiago with a lost credencial….if someone finds it, how can I get it returned to me?
Do what you can now to see if you can locate it. And if not, putting the word out there in as many ways as you can may bear fruit. Not to forget the pilgrim grapevine - it's remarkably efficient.

And yes, continue on with a new credencial. If your first one hasn't found its way back to you before you get to Santiago, make sure to ask at the Pilfrim's Office to see if its been turned in.

Then explain your dilemma - you can always try to use photos you've taken along the way to reconstruct your walk, especially if your pics are date stamped. That could be used to support a distance certificate.

I hope your lost credenciale finds its way back to you. Lots of serendipitous things happen on The Way.
Indeed.
If it's any reassurance, I lost mine and it found its way back in the most wonderful way possible. You never know. (That linked thread has a number of reassuring stories; it's not only me.)
Good luck and buen camino!

I'm sorry this happened to you, Steph.

Do what you can now to see if you can locate it. And if not, putting the word out there in as many ways as you can may bear fruit. Not to forget the pilgrim grapevine - it's remarkably efficient.

And yes, continue on with a new credencial. If your first one hasn't found its way back to you before you get to Santiago, make sure to ask at the Pilfrim's Office to see if its been turned in.

Then explain your dilemma - you can always try to use photos you've taken along the way to reconstruct your walk, especially if your pics are date stamped. That could be used to support a distance certificate.

Indeed.
If it's any reassurance, I lost mine and it found its way back in the most wonderful way possible. You never know. (That linked thread has a number of reassuring stories; it's not only me.)
Good luck and buen camino!
That is a wonderful story @VNwalking and love that @peregrina2000 was instrumental in finding it! I won’t go off on a tangent with some of the serendipitous things I’ve experienced along The Way. … as I’m sure others have … but it’s true that truth is often stranger than fiction. 😍

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have my sympathies - it happened to me but, fortunately, after I'd arrived at Santiago and collected my Compostela.

Hopefully you will obtain a replacement soon (in Ponferrada?) in the meantime you can collect sellos on a sheet of paper and you'll have plenty of opportunity to get the requisit number of stamps before you get to Santiago.

You only need to show evidence of the last 100km for a Compostella. If you want a Distancia certificate the clerk will probably take you at your word - I know I in similar circumstances did when I worked there.

Hope the original turns up - don't forget to ask pilgrims coming up behind you as they might have brought it in the hope of seeing you.

Buen camino!

Hi Steph, I’ll be in Foncebadon in a few days and can take a look around. Where did you have dinner?

You have my sympathies - it happened to me but, fortunately, after I'd arrived at Santiago and collected my Compostela.

Hopefully you will obtain a replacement soon (in Ponferrada?) in the meantime you can collect sellos on a sheet of paper and you'll have plenty of opportunity to get the requisit number of stamps before you get to Santiago.

You only need to show evidence of the last 100km for a Compostella. If you want a Distancia certificate the clerk will probably take you at your word - I know I in similar circumstances did when I worked there.

Hope the original turns up - don't forget to ask pilgrims coming up behind you as they might have brought it in the hope of seeing you.

Buen camino!

Maybe if you have lots of photos of the earlier stages that will help.
But regardless........
Don't let it spoil your Camino.
The distance certificate is only a piece of paper..... :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The distance certificate is only a piece of paper.
Yes.
And I can say from sad experience that it's the stamps in one's credencial that most matter once it's gone. Some days before I lost mine on the Invierno, I'd had a wonderful encounter with a guy working for the local ayuntamiento. I came to an intersection at the same time as he did, and he rolled down his window and asked if I wanted a sello. Haha - did I ever! So on a street corner next to the Rio Sil, he gave me an official inspection stamp. When I lost the credencial that was the stamp I thought of, because it was a one-off that couldn't possibly be recreated.

It is 17:24 on Sunday, October 3. I am in Fonceabdon now. I just checked into the Convento Albergue. If there is a specific place I could look for you I will gladly do so. I can be reached on WhatsApp +1 859 621 8763 ( this is Kentucky Steve ) or through private message on this forum.

Maybe if you have lots of photos of the earlier stages that will help.
But regardless........
Don't let it spoil your Camino.
The distance certificate is only a piece of paper..... :)
Robo, brilliant idea!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Steph, Maybe you could text or email the place you stayed the first night and ask them to text or email you saying that you stayed there and that would be proof of your starting point. The days and the distance would bear out your starting point.
Buen Camino.
Lydia

With that great smile you have on your profile I bet your Credential makes it back to you. Get some paper or find out where you can get another credential and just keep walking. If you didn't put your contact information you should edit your post to tell someone who may have found it to PM you.
Also check Gronze.com because if you check the albergue listings they often list albergues that have new credentials for pilgrims. It will be on the left side down the page in the description of the albergue. Open this in Google chrome and it will automatically translate everything:

https://www.gronze.com/camino-francesThey issue the Credential 2 euros

This is what you will see on the bottom left: (this was taken from the Jesus and Maria albergue description in Pamplona

They issue the Credential 2 euros
Computer Wifi
Washer and dryer
Bed sheets Bottom sheet Pillowcase Mantas
Individual lockers with key
Bicycle shelter

Sorry to hear that Steph and I hope your lost credenciale finds its way back to you. Lots of serendipitous things happen on The Way.

In the meantime, I don’t know about the technicalities of the distance certificate - others will - but just wanted to offer this - don’t let this loss get in the way of having a wonderful rest of Camino. Enjoy every day and every step. When you get to Santiago you will know how far you’ve come. The journey is the reward. Buen Camino 🙏
Update: someone turned in my credencial and was returned to me. I feel very blessed! Thank you for your supportive words. My heart feels so full! ❤️

€83,-
With that great smile you have on your profile I bet your Credential makes it back to you. Get some paper or find out where you can get another credential and just keep walking. If you didn't put your contact information you should edit your post to tell someone who may have found it to PM you.
Also check Gronze.com because if you check the albergue listings they often list albergues that have new credentials for pilgrims. It will be on the left side down the page in the description of the albergue. Open this in Google chrome and it will automatically translate everything:

https://www.gronze.com/camino-francesThey issue the Credential 2 euros

This is what you will see on the bottom left: (this was taken from the Jesus and Maria albergue description in Pamplona

They issue the Credential 2 euros
Computer Wifi
Washer and dryer
Bed sheets Bottom sheet Pillowcase Mantas
Individual lockers with key
Bicycle shelter
Awwww- thank you 😊! Update: someone turned it in and it was returned to me. I am beyond elated! Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your assistance more than you know!

Steph, Maybe you could text or email the place you stayed the first night and ask them to text or email you saying that you stayed there and that would be proof of your starting point. The days and the distance would bear out your starting point.
Buen Camino.
Lydia
Thank you Lydia- the credencial made its way back to me. I did get the 1/2 way compostela in Sahagun, so that was my back up plan. Thank you for your reply and support! 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked with our grandson in 2019. He went completely crazy filling up with copious stamps. By the time we reached Sarria he had a few credentials filled already. Then he looked at the pile and realised he had lost the first one, the critical one that showed where he started.
When we went in for our Compostelas, he wanted the distance certificate, told them he had lost the first one, they checked with mine - they realised that he had walked with family and got his distance certificate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Awwww- thank you 😊! Update: someone turned it in and it was returned to me. I am beyond elated! Thank you for your help. I really appreciate your assistance more than you know!
I am really happy you got your credential back. Now you can go back to enjoying your camino and no thanks needed. Pilgrims on this forum are here because we love the Camino and also to help our Perigrino/a brothers and sisters in need.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Meeeeee too!!! I’m still smiling ear to ear. And it’s filled and at the bottom of my mochila so I won’t lose it! Just started my second credencial. Thank you for your reply! 😊 I’m going to heading up to O’Cebreiro in a day….little nervous and excited. ☺️
Excellent news! Now just make sure you don't leave them behind in the Pilgrims' Office. When I worked there there were at least half a dozen in the Lost Property box - left behind, no doubt, by Pilgrims enthralled with their new Compostela!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.