• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost.... On the way from Estella to Los Arcos, lost my way. Climbed a mountain and found this. Anyone ever been here?

Travelite

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino beginning September 2018
There is an ancient church(unused so far as I can tell) as well. I really would like to know if anyone has ever been here and what the place is called. The church and crucifix are both right on top of a wooded mountain. If anyone can identify the place. I would be grateful. I am unable to post both pis at once so will post the church later Thanks all.
screenshot_20181007-194034-jpg.48608

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181007-194034.jpg
    Screenshot_20181007-194034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,122
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't help because I can't remember specifics but a nun once told me that there was a hermitage in that general part of the world that monastics used to go to for periods of retreat. Could this be it?

Have you any idea where you were? Just after Estella or closer to Los Arcos? Have you tried Google maps in satellite view?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
looks like you climbed all the way to Montejurra, the mountain on the left between estella and luquin, above the monastery of irache. the little chapel on top is ermita de san ciprian. that was quite a detour! - answered with the help of google. looks beautiful.

looks like you climbed all the way to Montejurra, the mountain on the left between estella and luquin, above the monastery of irache. the little chapel on top is ermita de san ciprian. that was quite a detour! - answered with the help of google. looks beautiful.
Yes. If you do a Google image search for "Ermita de San Ciprian" you can find matches.

I can't help because I can't remember specifics but a nun once told me that there was a hermitage in that general part of the world that monastics used to go to for periods of retreat. Could this be it?
I'm not sure, but there is a monastery in the village just across the freeway that runs at the foot of the forested mountain. The area where the church and black crucifix are located is a largish open grassy area surrounded by bushes and seems quite deserted except for a wiry man who appears to be the caretaker. This man(I believe he is called Animal) led me down the mountain when he saw I was quite distraught. He spoke only Spanish and my Spanish is very limited. He took me down as far as the small village which was about 3+klm.away from the next town. I walked the 3klm to next town then took a taxi from there to Los Arcos as the sun was setting. Can't remember the name of the town before Los Arcos but remember the ride cost me 29 euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. If you do a Google image search for "Ermita de San Ciprian" you can find matches.
Thank you so much. At least I have a name now and I can go forward a bit. Yes. You're right, I spent almost the entire day practically crawling up that mountain then trying to find my way off the other side. I had a broken wrist and really struggling. I was truly traumatized by the while incident but, that was my own stupidity. And perhaps MY CAMINO, hey? Thanks again. Now for some research.

I'm not sure, but there is a monastery in the village just across the freeway that runs at the foot of the forested mountain. The area where the church and black crucifix are located is a largish open grassy area surrounded by bushes and seems quite deserted except for a wiry man who appears to be the caretaker. This man(I believe he is called Animal) led me down the mountain when he saw I was quite distraught. He spoke only Spanish and my Spanish is very limited. He took me down as far as the small village which was about 3+klm.away from the next town. I walked the 3klm to next town then took a taxi from there to Los Arcos as the sun was setting. Can't remember the name of the town before Los Arcos but remember the ride cost me 29 euros.
that monastery is monasterio de irache (known for their wine fountain) and the forested mountain above is montejurra. the village the wiry man took you might be luquin to the west or arellano to the south.
did you take the alternative way after irache monastery? the reports say it's well marked.

Have you any idea where you were? Just after Estella or closer to Los Arcos? Have you tried Google maps in satellite view?
I had just left the church that dispenses wine and water. After the first directional sign a little further from the church. I took the left turn into the wooded area. Oh, while in that wooded area I came across a sign that read LA PILA. But I walked to the right of that sign. Half way up the mountain in a clearing, I saw Estella way, way below. I actually have pics of the Rocky outcrops that surrounded me. I wS definitely not anywhere near Los Arcos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
that monastery is monasterio de irache (known for their wine fountain) and the forested mountain above is montejurra. the village the wiry man took you might be luquin to the west or arellano to the south.
did you take the alternative way after irache monastery? the reports say it's well marked.
Well, all the familiar Camino signs were there and quite a few Pilgrims passed by as I sat in a park with a fountain which if I remember correctly, was dedicated to a Miguel. I'm not too sure of the name. I sat there for some time trying to get my strength back and start walking again. I am a female(an old one, age 78yrs) and was a bit scared as it was really late afternoon at that point.

Yes, now that I see the name I recognize it. It looks very special.
OMG, @Travelite, what an adventure! You must have been in agony with the wrist.
Adventure? Ha ha, not too sure about that. But, yes.the wrist was very troublesome, especially as the climb was so steep and loose stones everywhere. I would grab at a bush/tree root and tug to make sure it was solid enough before hauling myself up an inch at a time. I'm sure if I'd lost my footing I'd have hurtled to my demise. It was one of the most fearful experiences of my life. But well. I finally find my way back to CAMINO....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had just left the church that dispenses wine and water. After the first directional sign a little further from the church. I took the left turn into the wooded area. Oh, while in that wooded area I came across a sign that read LA PILA. But I walked to the right of that sign. Half way up the mountain in a clearing, I saw Estella way, way below. I actually have pics of the Rocky outcrops that surrounded me. I wS definitely not anywhere near Los Arcos.
yes, that sounds like you took the left route towards luquin which crosses the slopes of montejurra, but doesn't climb to the top. although, the hight gain is bigger then the official camino via monjardin.

Well, all the familiar Camino signs were there and quite a few Pilgrims passed by as I sat in a park with a fountain which if I remember correctly, was dedicated to a Miguel. I'm not too sure of the name. I sat there for some time trying to get my strength back and start walking again. I am a female(an old one, age 78yrs) and was a bit scared as it was really late afternoon at that point.
the church in luquin is dedicated to san martín, so maybe that was where the man took you.

Well, you (involuntarily) shared a venerable tradition of pilgrims of yore: getting lost. Nowadays, the Frances is almost too "domesticated", with guides, apps, albergues every few kms, bars, signposts, taxis...Chances of uncertainty and a bit of adventure are rare. I know that in the moment you did not appreciate it, but I think that, with time, it will become one of the moments you remember fondly. You got lost, had problems, took the necessary steps to solve it, and it ended well. A good story to share with family and friends.
PS: I have been in this kind of situations a couple of times...my avatar remembers the day where we (I was with my son) took a wrong turn, climbed a mountain and got caught by a blizzard before finding the path to the other side and back to the Camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, you (involuntarily) shared a venerable tradition of pilgrims of yore: getting lost. Nowadays, the Frances is almost too "domesticated", with guides, apps, albergues every few kms, bars, signposts, taxis...Chances of uncertainty and a bit of adventure are rare. I know that in the moment you did not appreciate it, but I think that, with time, it will become one of the moments you remember fondly. You got lost, had problems, took the necessary steps to solve it, and it ended well. A good story to share with family and friends.
PS: I have been in these kind of situations a couple of times...my avatar remembers the day where we (I was with my son) took a wrong turn, climbed a mountain and got caught by a blizzard before finding the path to the other side and back to the Camino.
Wow, a blizzard. That really sounds scary.. But as you point out all ended well. And let's face it, THAT'S CAMINO FOR YOU, isn't it?

Yes...and always a chance to find the unexpected generosity and help from complete strangers.
Entirely agree. That man who helped me down that mountain need not have don e so, but he did. When we were parting ways, he took me by the shoulders, turned me around and said, Look, that's where you you were, as he pointed up towards the towering wooded mountain. Then he left me and walked on towards the monetary further down the road. Will never forget that man and his kindness and I don't even really know his name. So, yes, there are some generous souls all around us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Will follow your suggestion. I'd have liked to post the ancient chapel but it is not loading. Will try again a bit later.

So, yes, there are some generous souls all around us.

And some admirable 78-year-old walkers. What a wonderful example for those of us slightly younger old ones! Apart from the broken wrist, I hope you are one the worse for the experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much. At least I have a name now and I can go forward a bit. Yes. You're right, I spent almost the entire day practically crawling up that mountain then trying to find my way off the other side. I had a broken wrist and really struggling. I was truly traumatized by the while incident but, that was my own stupidity. And perhaps MY CAMINO, hey? Thanks again. Now for some research.

Hi Travelite, don't be to hard on yourself, at list you find something at the top, when, I climb by mistake a mountain in one of my camino there was nothing at the top. I got lost in many occasion and in a particolar one I was out of my rut by 15 Km. That is the beauty of the camino.
Ultreia

WOW! Lost with a broken wrist! "Crawling up the mountain"! So, so sorry! Honestly sounds awful and perhaps nowhere near the "romantic" notion that images of getting lost on the Camino may conjure for many. I am certainly glad you found your way to safety and may even have a nice picture associated with this ordeal. The place is in fact "El Cristo Negro de Montejurra" and popular gathering of sympathizers of the Carlists since late 1870's. Hope you are feeling better. BTW, getting lost is almost a "rite of passage" on the Camino, but I don't wish it on anybody, specially if they are injured. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
yes, that sounds like you took the left route towards luquin which crosses the slopes of montejurra, but doesn't climb to the top. although, the hight gain is bigger then the official camino via monjardin.
I'm not too sure about the church in -the picture although the Crucifix above the altar looks the same as mine. The church in my Pic is quite different. Another thing is that both the church and altar are not visible from below as in the pictures on Google. Also, there are either steps/ seating in front of the altar. Church and altar are a fair distance from each other. I will try again to load the Pic of the church.

Well, not sure at all. There was a big bunch of Pilgrims between the directional sign and me. It was still very dark so I couldn't see anything. I asked those who stood before the sign which WAY to Los Arcos and they responded, 750 METERS TO THE LEFT. Before I arrived at the edge of the wooded area, a male pilgrim overtook me and asked to where I was going. I responded with Los Arcos and he said he was bound for the same town also. Together we reached the edge of the wood. He tried several times and failed to find a sign, but it was really very dark. The 4th time he entered the woods he did not reappear for sometime, then he shouted from within the woods that he had found the way. I went forward and tried to find a sign but there was none. I called out, but the man must have been long gone by then. I just walked and found some small and walked that. I just continued upward.....
Cool detour! Was it an intentional detour or was the wine fountain responsible??! 🤔😁😁

Well, not sure at all. There was a big bunch of Pilgrims between the directional sign and me. It was still very dark so I couldn't see anything. I asked those who stood before the sign which WAY to Los Arcos and they responded, 750 METERS TO THE LEFT. Before I arrived at the edge of the wooded area, a male pilgrim overtook me and asked to where I was going. I responded with Los Arcos and he said he was bound for the same town also. Together we reached the edge of the wood. He tried several times and failed to find a sign, but it was really very dark. The 4th time he entered the woods he did not reappear for sometime, then he shouted from within the woods that he had found the way. I went forward and tried to find a sign but there was none. I called out, but the man must have been long gone by then. I just walked and found some small track and walked that. I just continued upward.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have Google and the church in Google is different. The crucifix appears to be the same except I don't see the steps/cut from rock in front of the altar in my Pic....

When we arrived at Monjardin mid April 2017 all beds were taken in the town, so the Dutch confraternity called a brand new albergue for us located in Luquin. So off we trudged to this village located on a Brierley alternate route. It was not fun to keep walking on off the main camino, but we were rewarded a few kilometers later with a spanking new and clean place where we were the only ones staying. It was heavenly!

I had a broken wrist and really struggling. I was truly traumatized by the while incident but, that was my own stupidity. And perhaps MY CAMINO, hey? Thanks again. Now for some research.
You broke your wrist??? Have you had it seen to??? Please take care of yourself.

I’m really sympathising because I know how hard it is to deal with a broken wrist... let alone whilst walking on your own carrying a backpack! Take care xx

Ps: please go and see a doctor, a pharmacist.... and tell us you’re ok! Never mind whether it’s ‘your camino’ or your own ‘stupidity’, accidents do happen!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You broke your wrist??? Have you had it seen to??? Please take care of yourself.

I’m really sympathising because I know how hard it is to deal with a broken wrist... let alone walking on your own carrying a backpack! Take care xx
Thanks for the concern. I arrived in Santiago on the 20th(Oct) and yes, had the wrist seen to in Pamplona. Still quite painful but getting there. Am back in my own country now.

This is a Pic of one part of the mountain which I inadvertently climbed. Screenshot_20181111-003652.jpgScreenshot_20181111-003652.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's a mountain, @Travelite!
It was still very dark so I couldn't see anything. I asked those who stood before the sign which WAY to Los Arcos and they responded, 750 METERS TO THE LEFT. Before I arrived at the edge of the wooded area, a male pilgrim overtook me and asked to where I was going. I responded with Los Arcos and he said he was bound for the same town also. Together we reached the edge of the wood. He tried several times and failed to find a sign, but it was really very dark.
@Travelite you had an incredibly difficult day, and I'm so glad all was well in the end.
It's really good you've posted your story, because there are lessons in it for all of us.
What jumps out for me are the underlined bits of your story (above). Walking in the dark without knowing exactly where you are going can be a recipe for disaster, as you found out. 'Everyone' says that you can walk the Frances without a map or GPS and that's generally true. But in the dark, at a place where there are several options, having a decent map and paying attention to it are important safeguards.
And when you don't know for sure where you are, don't just keep going, especially if the terrain is getting dicey. You're not the only one who's ever come to grief from doing this: I have my own story like yours (without the broken wrist:eek:) and I bet many others here do, too.
So if you're lost or just uncertain, it pays to back-track right away to the last known waymarker rather than waiting until you're much farther amiss. There's an invisible fine line between an 'Interesting adventure' and a preventable tragedy.

Last edited:
That's a mountain, @Travelite!

@Travelite you had an incredibly difficult day, and I'm so glad all was well in the end.
It's really good you've posted your story, because there are lessons in it for all of us.
What jumps out for me are the underlined bits of your story (above). Walking in the dark without knowing exactly where you are going can be a recipe for disaster, as you found out. 'Everyone' says that you can walk the Frances without a map or GPS and that's generally true. But in the dark, at a place where there are several options, having a decent map and paying attention to it are important safeguards.
And when you don't know for sure where you are, don't just keep going, especially if the terrain is getting dicey. You're not the only one who's ever come to grief from doing this: I have my own story like yours (without the broken wrist:eek:) and I bet many others here do, too.
So if you're lost or just uncertain, it pays to back-track right away to the last known waymarker rather than waiting until you're much farther amiss. There's an invisible fine line between an 'Interesting adventure' and a preventable tragedy.
I agree entirely with your sentiments, particularly back-tracking while you have options. And yes, it could have ended tragically. So, hopefully fellow-Pilgrims will take note. One really would think this 78 year old pilgrim would have better common sense, but there you are....

One really would think this 78 year old pilgrim would have better common sense, but there you are....
Please don't be hard on yourself, @Travelite. Many of us have done something very like what you did, getting hopelessly lost in the process. It's actually human nature to do this - just another version of the 'sunk cost fallacy.' Which is why your post is so important.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is an ancient church(unused so far as I can tell) as well. I really would like to know if anyone has ever been here and what the place is called. The church and crucifix are both right on top of a wooded mountain. If anyone can identify the place. I would be grateful. I am unable to post both pis at once so will post the church later Thanks all.
screenshot_20181007-194034-jpg.48608
Hola, Travelite...

I suppose this could be called a church. But I think it is more correctly a shrine. Such are not uncommon here in Mexico. They are sometimes built by a person or a family, perhaps to give thanks for a fortunate turn of events; something they had prayed for. Unless you placed the flowers (even if they are plastic) the site does not look unused to me.

Yes, I think you're right about it being a shrine. But there is an ancient church some meters from the shrine.
Hola, Travelite...

I suppose this could be called a church. But I think it is more correctly a shrine. Such are not uncommon here in Mexico. They are sometimes built by a person or a family, perhaps to give thanks for a fortunate turn of events; something they had prayed for. Unless you placed the flowers (even if they are plastic) the site does not look unused to me.
Hi Tom. There are actually two separate structures in this story : the shrine AND an ancient church(at least, I think it is a church). I just can't get the Pic of the church to load. And you may be right about the shrine not being UNUSED - that crucifix gleams like newly polished wood.

Entirely agree. That man who helped me down that mountain need not have don e so, but he did. When we were parting ways, he took me by the shoulders, turned me around and said, Look, that's where you you were, as he pointed up towards the towering wooded mountain. Then he left me and walked on towards the monetary further down the road. Will never forget that man and his kindness and I don't even really know his name. So, yes, there are some generous souls all around us.
Pay it forward, @Travelite ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, not sure at all. There was a big bunch of Pilgrims between the directional sign and me. It was still very dark so I couldn't see anything. I asked those who stood before the sign which WAY to Los Arcos and they responded, 750 METERS TO THE LEFT. Before I arrived at the edge of the wooded area, a male pilgrim overtook me and asked to where I was going. I responded with Los Arcos and he said he was bound for the same town also. Together we reached the edge of the wood. He tried several times and failed to find a sign, but it was really very dark. The 4th time he entered the woods he did not reappear for sometime, then he shouted from within the woods that he had found the way. I went forward and tried to find a sign but there was none. I called out, but the man must have been long gone by then. I just walked and found some small and walked that. I just continued upward.....
Lesson to be learned: wait for the light of the day.
I mean why you came so far to walk in the dark? You can do that at home, even within your own house/apartment...

Glad to read all is well with you :)

Lesson to be learned: wait for the light of the day.
I mean why you came so far to walk in the dark? You can do that at home, even within your own house/apartment...

Glad to read all is well with you :)

Thank you Kinky One for that sage advice. Right on all counts.

The door to the church was firmly padlocked. Picture taken from behind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-072535.jpg
    Screenshot_20181111-072535.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 44
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are actually two separate structures in this story: the shrine AND an ancient church (at least, I think it is a church).
The information provided by @Olivares and other posters is correct. It is the Eremita de San Ciprian and the Cristo Negro de Montejurra. A photo on Wikiloc shows that the small square structure on one side of the chapel is a kind of utility hut, for hikers and perhaps also for events. @Olivares mentioned the Carlists; I read up a bit on the Carlist party and Montejurra and recent history. There is so much where we walk past without having a clue as to what happened there.

The two photos below may help jog your memory and put everything in its place :). Your photo shows the back of the chapel and the adjacent square structure; note the painted brick wall vs the plastered wall of the chapel; also note that the chapel's roof tiles differ from the small structure's roofing which you can see more clearly in other photos. It all helps for identification and confirmation of the match. Here is a side view of the chapel:
Eremita Ciprian I.jpeg

San Ciprian chapel on the right; shrine and cross with Christ on the left.
Eremita San Ciprian II.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I think you're right about it being a shrine. But there is an ancient church some meters from the shrine.
Hi Tom. There are actually two separate structures in this story : the shrine AND an ancient church(at least, I think it is a church). I just can't get the Pic of the church to load. And you may be right about the shrine not being UNUSED - that crucifix gleams like newly polished wood.
Used or unused, church or not church... a wonderful place to stumble upon.

@Travelite, I have something that I hope you will enjoy. It's a Strava heat map, it shows you where people like to walk, jog, hike. The Irache wine fountain/monastery (top right corner) and the chapel/cross (bottom right corner) are marked. The main Camino Frances trail is marked by purple dots and the alternative Camino Frances trail is marked by green dots. You took the green dotted trail and at one point you went left and took one of the many yellow, orange, red or white trails that lead up the mountain and to the chapel. Are the tools of the internet not great sometimes? :)

Strava heatmap Irache 1.jpg

Thank you Kinky One for that sage advice. Right on all counts.
@Travelite, I have something that I hope you will enjoy. It's a Strava heat map, it shows you where people like to walk, jog, hike. The Irache wine fountain/monastery (top right corner) and the chapel/cross (bottom right corner) are marked. The main Camino Frances trail is marked by purple dots and the alternative Camino Frances trail is marked by green dots. You took the green dotted trail and at one point you went left and took one of the many yellow, orange, red or white trails that lead up the mountain and to the chapel. Are the tools of the internet not great sometimes? :)

View attachment 48689
Thank you so much. I am quite enjoying seeing myself so clearly clambering up there. Yes, internet is great but ofttimes I just can't get my mind around all it offers. Thanks again.

View attachment 48689
that is really cool, @Kathar1na !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Travelite , kia ora (greetings)

I walked this way early October 2017 and also got way laid. I was busy looking at some distant feature to my right and missed a marker on my left. So easy to do. Just my mistake took me towards the main road and was relatively easuly corrected.

Kia kaha (take care, be stroong, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back