• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lots of Canadians on this forum?!

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Is it my imagination, or are there a disproportionate number of Canadians posting on this forum? Given our small population I'm surprised how frequently I read that a poster is from Canada. Perhaps it's just my imagination, or because I tend to notice Canadians more than others because I'm also one.

But if in fact there are a disproportionate number of Canadians posting here, does that equate to a disproportionate number of Canadians walking the camino? By "disproportionate" I mean the USA is 10x our size, so theoretically there would be 10x the number of Americans on the camino. I realize that there are a lot more factors than population size that determines the number of pilgrims, but you know what I mean.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting. So as far at America goes, Canadians pilgrims outnumber them 2-to-1, relative to population size.
Yes, but I think if you look a little deeper, you'll find that Quebec produces more pilgrims than their share in the population. I think this was especially true in the past, as the Catholic tradition in that province made the Camino more well known.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm also pleasantly surprised at the number of Canadians on this forum. I walked with a woman from Quebec (she had started in Le Puy) and I met 4 other Canadians (Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec)) while walking. There weren't a lot of us. What I did notice was that the Canadians I met were all walking solo, while almost all of the Americans I met were in groups of 2-6.

On another forum, when others reminisce about their Camino, they tell everyone to befriend the "Crazy Canadians" as we are the life of the party and make Camino more fun. :D

Yes, but I think if you look a little deeper, you'll find that Quebec produces more pilgrims than their share in the population. I think this was especially true in the past, as the Catholic tradition in that province made the Camino more well known.
Over the years, my experience is that almost half of Canadian pilgrims come from Québec (33% of the population of Canada). The Association Québécoise has over 3,500 paid-up members and I think is the largest Camino organization in the hemisphere.

I remember way back in the late 80s backpacking there was always numerous Canadians compared to Americans, in terms of population ratio.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
while almost all of the Americans I met were in groups of 2-6.
they tell everyone to befriend the "Crazy Canadians" as we are the life of the party and make Camino more fun. :D
These two statements seem to be a wee bit contradictory.
Anyway (besides being silly), US versus Canadian stereotypes are a good way to start an argument.

Canadians walk the camino, and many of those are Quebecois. Ok. Makes sense. But if you want to talk about disproportionate numbers here I think Kiwis win hands down. But who's counting?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my town in Québec the Camino Association is very active. It organizes group practice walks a couple of times a week and suppers/meeting at least once a month. Locally they run preparation meetings and send-off days twice a year. A few TV personnalities have had shows on the Camino Frances and held conferences all over the Province.

Is it my imagination, or are there a disproportionate number of Canadians posting on this forum? Given our small population I'm surprised how frequently I read that a poster is from Canada. Perhaps it's just my imagination, or because I tend to notice Canadians more than others because I'm also one.

But if in fact there are a disproportionate number of Canadians posting here, does that equate to a disproportionate number of Canadians walking the camino? By "disproportionate" I mean the USA is 10x our size, so theoretically there would be 10x the number of Americans on the camino. I realize that there are a lot more factors than population size that determines the number of pilgrims, but you know what I mean.
Canadians love Spain!🇨🇦

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi from a fellow Vancouverite. I’m currently on the Via de la Plata taking a siesta in Salamanca. Will finish on Tuesday and plan to walk the remainder in the future. I’m the only Canadian so far…at least in my small cohort of roughly 10 people walking the same stages. Most are French or Dutch, a pilgrim from Hong Kong, another from Korea, and the occasional Spanish or Italian cyclist. All is well..

Hi JustJack. Greetings from a fellow Vancoucerite! I’m currently on the Via de la Plata taking a day (or two?) off in Salamanca. I’m the only Canadian so far.. as least in the 10 or so pilgrims walking same stages as me. Mostly French and Dutch but someone from Hong Kong and another from x Korea…. A true y

Hi from a fellow Vancouverite. I’m currently on the Via de la Plata taking a siesta in Salamanca. Will finish on Tuesday and plan to walk the remainder in the future. I’m the only Canadian so far…at least in my small cohort of roughly 10 people walking the same stages. Most are French or Dutch, a pilgrim from Hong Kong, another from Korea, and the occasional Spanish or Italian cyclist. All is well..
Exciting! My sister and I will start in Sarria on June 18 (also Vancouver!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyway (besides being silly), US versus Canadian stereotypes are a good way to start an argument.

Canadians walk the camino, and many of those are Quebecois. Ok. Makes sense. But if you want to talk about disproportionate numbers here I think Kiwis win hands down. But who's counting?
Wasn't trying to an argument, just relaying my experience. I did not meet any Kiwi's when I walked.
I think the Crazy Canadians statements I have heard have mostly come from the uni students or those on the multi-city pub crawl.

I met a huge number, yes you might say a disproportionate number of Canadians on the Camino Frances last fall. Nice people, humble pilgrims. I'm glad to share the hemisphere and the Camino with them. Buen Camino
Very kind of you to say. Hopefully the Canadians you meet in the future continue to live up to that description.

Indeed.

I don't think there is any real correlation between the demographics of this site and of the wider population walking caminos. The forum represents but a tiny proportion of pilgrims walking in Spain.
Yes that's clearly the case. Which surprises me, because I frequently hear this site referenced in videos and blogs. It's often simply referred to as the "Camino Forum", and everyone seems to understand this is the one being referred to. Sometimes Ivar's name is also included, and everyone seems to know who Ivar is. Given how well known this forum is I'm surprised a larger percentage of pilgrims aren't on this site. Is there a bigger more popular camino forum? I assume there are lots of Facebook groups, but is this in fact the defacto official forum for the camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I assume there are lots of Facebook groups, but is this in fact the defacto official forum for the camino?
This forum has been running for a long time and is fairly well known amongst English-speaking pilgrims but it has no "official" status. Most pilgrims to Santiago are speakers of other languages and probably look elsewhere for their Camino information. I've sometimes read people referring to Brierley's guidebook as the "official" guide or talking about his "official stages" too. Equally misleading. Those of us who have found our way here might sometimes be prone to overestimating the importance and prominence of both this forum and the Brierley guides in the overall scheme of the Camino. Like fleas arguing about which one owns the dog they are standing on! :cool:

I live 4 hours from Banff, Alberta and about the same from Jasper which has easily some of the most spectacular mountain scenery and hiking in the world. Yet the Camino has pulled me back six times and probably a seventh this fall.
As much as I love Spain, Portugal and area I feel very fortunate to live in my part of the world.
Now that my wife and I also have a condo in Canmore (right next to Banff) allows us to spend time knocking off the numerous trails.

FB_IMG_1570479185514.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I want to hit the Camino again, now….I need that restful mind calming wander for many, many days to reconnect.

Slightly off topic but back in '77 I, a Yank, was staying at a hostel like lodging in Suva, Fiji. As newcomers came in the conversations went like this:

Where are you from?
Yeah, we're all Canadians.
Most of us are from BC.
You mean Vancouver itself or nearby?
What neighborhood?
Maybe you know my sister from school.
Hey, that's neat. What street did you live on?

I swear about 25% of the time those last few questions were asked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It just seemed that way because we all had Canadian flags on our backpacks to distinguish us from our American neighbors.
Not all of us did. I am always very interested in where people come from, in conversation, but I have no wish for my nationality to be identified from afar, or defined by what I am not.

Last edited:
It just seemed that way because we all had Canadian flags on our backpacks to distinguish us from our American neighbors.

Always curious as to why that is…besides the reason of having similar accents.

Not all of us did. I am always very interested in where people come from, in conversation, but I have no wish for my nationality to be identified from afar, or defined by what I am not.

Exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
On another forum a couple of months ago there was a discussion about flag patches on packs. I had decided against having a Canadian flag on my pack as flag-jacking is very much a thing and I did not want to be labelled as a non-Canadian lol. Some people were very surprised that people would sew a Canadian flag to their pack while not being Canadian and then there were quite a few people who said they had sewn the patches on so it would be assumed they were Canadian to avoid any perceived dislike for their home nation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I feel like I never go *anywhere* without meeting a fellow Canadian (why are we everywhere), and I would tend to agree that it feels disproportionately Canadian on the Camino. Definitely a high representative pop of pilgrims from Quebec, even though this province is aggressively secular now. (Post-)Catholic traditions are strong but also, the regions in particular (i.e. not MTL, not QC) have a really strong hiking, walking, and cycling culture. I think that contributes as well. Yes, other provinces (like BC, AB) have lots of hardcore hiking & mountain culture, but Quebec loves their outdoorsiness chased with good meals & good wine, so it's hard to imagine a better match for adventurous souls from this place! (For the record, I live in QC, but am from Toronto.)

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP in January this year. According to the SJPDP pilgrim office pilgrims from the USA outnumbered Canadians about 4 to 1 in the first three months this year and were the 2nd largest national group (after Koreans). Canadians are well down the list. But although I can recall meeting at least three Canadians on the way I can't remember meeting a single person from the USA. Very strange!

1682786583357.png

Which province you represent is not important for me. The people I met Canadians, fellow Québecers and every country in the world were all earthly angels who contributed to my pilgrimage. We are all brothers and sisters.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On another forum a couple of months ago there was a discussion about flag patches on packs. I had decided against having a Canadian flag on my pack as flag-jacking is very much a thing and I did not want to be labelled as a non-Canadian lol. Some people were very surprised that people would sew a Canadian flag to their pack while not being Canadian and then there were quite a few people who said they had sewn the patches on so it would be assumed they were Canadian to avoid any perceived dislike for their home nation.
I strongly suspect that this is largely a myth from the 60s and 70s, perhaps rooted in some small truth. But Canadians are too eager to keep the story alive, which seems a bit self-congratulatory, at best. This is why I, strongly but quietly Canadian, would never wear my flag when travelling.

Last edited:

😂 Much as I’d love us to take out the bragging rights, nope, Canada 🍁 is way out in front if you look at the Stats for 2022 - even my fellow Anzacs from NZs West Island 🇦🇺beat us percentage wise. Mind you, so far this year the Westies are out in front, the Kiwis are in (sigh) second place, the Canadians third…..
And no, I did NOT look at the Irish ☘️ sorry…. They probably outnumber the lot of us! But then again, snakes can swim but Kiwis can’t fly….. 🇳🇿

I strongly suspect that this is largely a myth from the 60s and 70s, perhaps rooted in some small truth. But Canadians are too eager to keep the story alive, which seems a bit self-congratulatory, at best. This is why I, strongly but quietly Canadian, would never wear my flag when travelling. (However, if I were in some official or formal capacity, I would proudly wear it.)
It was a thing in the 90's and it has definitely been a thing since 2001. The people who said they used the flag for these purposes all did so within the last 5 years.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Was pondering over this more today whilst walking. I cannot imagine sewing a flag on my backpack, for any reason, but especially to “distinguish” yourself from another country. Just say “I’m from Canada”.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had the Breton flag attached to my pack and derived a lot of pleasure from people hailing(?) me as I was walking down the Atlantic coast “Vive la Bretagne qui marche!”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was a thing in the 90's and it has definitely been a thing since 2001. The people who said they used the flag for these purposes all did so within the last 5 years.
I was strongly advised to do so when I went backpacking in Europe in 1982, and I know I did. I suspect I may have left it behind when I returned in 1988.

Whilst I agree completely with VN walking, I have the Kiwi flag on my pack. And took pleasure when people noticed it. As with everything, we all walk our own Camino 🇳🇿
Is that the one with five stars or four?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yes.

I strongly suspect that this is largely a myth from the 60s and 70s, perhaps rooted in some small truth. But Canadians are too eager to keep the story alive, which seems a bit self-congratulatory, at best. This is why I, strongly but quietly Canadian, would never wear my flag when travelling.
I recall back in the 80's there was this stubborn myth perpetuating the backpacker circles that Americans were disliked in Europe, so Canadians should all sew flags on their backpacks so as to not be mistaken for Americans. Then the myth was escalated with stories of Americans that would sew Canadian flags on their backpacks as well, presumably because they were embarrassed to be recognized as American.

All utter nonsense, and not even logical. A caucasian walking down the street with a backpack on could just as easily be mistaken as German, Australian, French, British, etc etc etc. Not sure why they would be assumed to be American.

And in all my years I've never met an American that would deny being an American. Just as I've never met anyone from any other country that would deny being from their own country.

This is all just silly backpacker mythology, and unfortunately something that is still perpetuated by some Canadians, but hopefully it's disappearing.

Ummm - sorry, but you’re at least partially wrong. I met an American who had a Canadian flag. Rare maybe, but it happened. 1984 I made weekly trips to Wellington 🇳🇿for work, and frequently picked up hitch - hikers. Especially if they had a maple leaf 🍁 on their bag. One guy I picked up, with said 🍁 confessed a few minutes into the journey that actually, he was an American. He’d heard the ‘myth’, had heard that Kiwi’s always picked up Canadians, and so chose to mislead. I laughed about it - he was honest - but what he said was true - I never drove past a Canadian. Perhaps that’s even how the whole thing started? Hitching was very common then.
I will add that two years later I hitchhiked across Canada 🇨🇦. Once I added a kiwi flag - actually a T- towel of one - to my backpack, my time to get a ride dramatically decreased- from my magic half hour to an average of 12 minutes. Numerous people specifically stated that they’d done so because of my flag, and that they/ their son/ daughter etc had experienced the same in NZ.
I’ve thrown away / worn out 99% of my gear from those days, but I still have that t towel - and my money belt. 🇳🇿

This Canadian doesn’t have a flag on my backpack atm, but just finishing Turkmenistan with 4 Americans, I got tired of having to pipe up “&1 Canadian”, when locals I would ask where we were from. Might just put that little flag back on my backpack when I start my Camino on June 15! I will be leaving tomorrow for Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, and sometimes it’s better to take a subtler approach.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back