• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lots of different km estimates

Ana Guanabaa

Time of past OR future Camino
considering (2018)
Ola peregrin@s

I'll be walking from Tui or Valenca to Santiago in late July, and am confused by the different km estimates that I've seen. Other pilgrims (whose threads I've now lost) spoke of Tui being 102 km from Santiago, I've also seen estimates ranging up to 122 km. This last was in the 'Camino Guides: Camino Portugues, 2018, by John Brierly'. I notice that this book will add on additional kms to account for changes in altitude, but the 122 km does not include these

I have limited time and am with my child, so that extra 20 km may be consequential ;-) But I would like to do at least 100 km as recognized by whichever body is responsible for credenciales etc. (which is of particular interest to said child). I also like the idea of walking from Valenca, if only to do a small part of the walk in Portugal itself and walk into Spain.

Can anyone advise on how many km it really is? (or is that question naive, because there's not really *one* camino even within this limited span?)

With much appreciation for all of the insights I've found here!
Ana

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you go through the different guide books, I use Brierlys, the same destinations can be off by some kms.
When these discrepancys arise in conversation I smugly show off my knowledge and my age by singing a few bars of:

The Kilometers, my freind, are Blowing in the Wind. The Kilometers are Blowing in the Wind.

One foot in front of the other, my freind, and keep on walking, and 'The Kilos...' will be gone.

Maybe they were never there???

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2015 I started my Camino Portugues pilgrimage in Valenca do Minho. At the Pilgrim Office in Santiago I purchased a distance certificate and the worker spontaneously wrote 120 km as distance travelled. Valenca is an interesting historic old walled town and the walk across the Rio Minho on the Eiffel designed bridge with Spain/Portugal border marking was impressive.

The straight line distance from the albergue in Tui to the Cathedral is 93.1 kilometers. Additional distance comes from twists and turns. Even those twists and turns change as the "official" route changes, and each guidebook may be making up its own twists and turns. At one time, a human walked with a wheel to measure the route. Then humans walked with a GPS, and may have included that one block diversion for a cup of coffee. Now, users of Google Maps can do a trace over what they view as the route.

Every attempt has flaws, and none is accurate beyond those flaws.

It is what it is when you walk it!:)

My Brierley for the Portuguese is 2016 and says 116km from Valença/Tui to Santiago. It indeed depends on how you measure it.

How much time do you have to walk, Ana? And how used to walking is your kid? Because if you are looking for the exact mark of 100km, it would be somewhere between Tui and Porrino. Maybe visit Tui and ask for a taxi to drop you a bit ahead, if really necessary?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Because if you are looking for the exact mark of 100km, it would be somewhere between Tui and Porrino.
Google Maps plots a walking route through Padron that is 104 km from the cathedral in Tui to the cathedral in Santiago. If you shorten it much, you may want to contact the Pilgrim Office in Santiago to see what it will accept as a starting point that is 100 km. I doubt that the Office uses Brierley!! The mojones in Galicia now have distance marks, when they have not been stolen, that are from an official government database on distance. I would not be surprised if the Office has access to, and uses, them.:)

The mojones in Galicia now have distance marks, when they have not been stolen, that are from an official government database on distance. I would not be surprised if the Office has access to, and uses, them.

I just mentioned that because I remember seeing the 90-something marks approaching Porrino, so the 100km should be somewhere between Tui and there, right?
But totally agree with you, and the cathedral in Tui is a very nice place to start :D

we just finished the Portuguese Coastal, and found that "book" distances (we had 2), app distances, and our fitbit and the reality never matched. Sometimes they widely varied. Walking the Central you will have town and amenities closer than on the Coast. Just enjoy the walk it will be awesome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... and the walk across the Rio Minho on the Eiffel designed bridge with Spain/Portugal border marking was impressive.
Just an observation regarding the bridge--there are pedestrian walkways along both sides of the traffic lanes, and the view is much better on the right or upstream side walkway. You have a nice view of Tui and the cathedral on the hill from that side.

Great input, thank you all. I think that we have enough time to accommodate up to 120 km (or, of course, whatever that illusive distance is that we actually walk), and I won't think too hard on the actual numbers in any case.
I'd love to just walk and let whatever comes, come, without worrying about distance, itineraries etc.... I do find I need to do a bit of that though, taking into account limited time off from work, limited budget, and of course ensuring that the pace is a comfortable and enjoyable one for my son.
Con emoción!
Anne

Great input, thank you all. I think that we have enough time to accommodate up to 120 km (or, of course, whatever that illusive distance is that we actually walk), and I won't think too hard on the actual numbers in any case.
I'd love to just walk and let whatever comes, come, without worrying about distance, itineraries etc.... I do find I need to do a bit of that though, taking into account limited time off from work, limited budget, and of course ensuring that the pace is a comfortable and enjoyable one for my son.
Con emoción!
Anne

Ana,

"...whatever comes, come..."

Sounds great!

"...limited time off from work, limited budget..."

UH, OH. I sense opposition and tension.

I, for one, will be interested to hear how this all turns out.

For both you and your son, and the 'pace' you wind up walking:

I am happy for you both.

Peace be with you.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ola peregrin@s

I'll be walking from Tui or Valenca to Santiago in late July, and am confused by the different km estimates that I've seen. Other pilgrims (whose threads I've now lost) spoke of Tui being 102 km from Santiago, I've also seen estimates ranging up to 122 km. This last was in the 'Camino Guides: Camino Portugues, 2018, by John Brierly'. I notice that this book will add on additional kms to account for changes in altitude, but the 122 km does not include these

I have limited time and am with my child, so that extra 20 km may be consequential ;-) But I would like to do at least 100 km as recognized by whichever body is responsible for credenciales etc. (which is of particular interest to said child). I also like the idea of walking from Valenca, if only to do a small part of the walk in Portugal itself and walk into Spain.

Can anyone advise on how many km it really is? (or is that question naive, because there's not really *one* camino even within this limited span?)

With much appreciation for all of the insights I've found here!
Ana
Hola Ana
I personally loved walking over the bridge from Caminha to Tui there are markings on the ground showing where Portugal ends and Spain begins so at that point my left foot was in Spain and my right foot was an hour in the difference still in Portugal .
Alan

Attachments

• D522791E-A588-40E1-BBD4-5D6B5553B210.jpeg
    D522791E-A588-40E1-BBD4-5D6B5553B210.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.