• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lots of traffic on the Norte in May 2010?

I would like to walk the Norte starting next week - May 28, 2010 and I am wondering if anyone can tell me how busy it has been so far this month? I'm not big on crowds and wondering if I should leave it until next year. Does anyone have any first hand recent experience? Thank you! Miranda

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am just starting in Bilbao today 20th May. The hospetelero says 8 pilgrims are walking today that she knows of but will keep you informed as I start tomorrow
H

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm starting from Bilbao on the 1st and am interested in the conditions too. I was originally planning to walk the Camino Frances, but do to crowds and the fact my flight is into Bilboa I'm thinking I'll switch to the Camino del Norte.

I was also wondering what the most convinient place to pick up my pilgrim's credentials in Bilboa is.

I hope you two have a wonderful walk. Perhaps I'll see you both on the way!
G

There is a pilgrim society in Bilbao called Amigos de los caminos de Santiago de Biscaya. The address is: Nicolas Alcorta, 7 1a Planta, Bilbao. I believe they open in the evenings and I was there last year but I couldn't tell you how to find it now. I do recall it is in an unlikely spot, surrounded by several adult entertainment shops. I don't have a phone number but it is possible they don't have a phone as it is just staffed by volunteers. I got a brochure outlining places to stay along the way. Unfortunately, I only got as far as Portugalete last year before I was called home due to a family emergency so I can't tell you much more. I hope this helps you. Miranda

Hi Miranda,
We have just returned from the Ribadesella area of the Norte and did not encounter many folk at all. I would guess at 8 or 10 a day. We stayed in hostals/pensions so not to block up Albergues but I was hearing that there was plenty of room. May be different towards the end of June!

As a P.S. Alejandro at Bodenaya said there were variable numbers on the Primitivo. The night before we passed through he only had one staying.

Buen Camino
Terry

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello from Miranda in Pendueles on the Norte. This is my 4th night on the Camino and so far there have been few other peregrinos and no difficulty finding accomodation. A man I met travelling the other direction said that it has not been busy, except near Santiago. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.