• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Loud bangs?

Trish K

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov/Dec (2017)
Camino Norte (2019)
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Does anyone know what the loud bangs are that I have been hearing this morning between Astorga and Rabanal? They remind me of avalanch canons but I don’t see much snow - unless the sound is traveling across from the Pyrenees??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
December would seem a strange time for hunting.

There are many active firing ranges on the various Caminos.
It is possible you are near one and they are having an event of some type.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know what the loud bangs are that I have been hearing this morning between Astorga and Rabanal? They remind me of avalanch canons but I don’t see much snow - unless the sound is traveling across from the Pyrenees??
My wife and I were on the Le Puy route this summer and heard loud bangs too. It turns out it was orchard owners firing "sonic charges" up into the clouds to try to keep hail from damaging their crops. We were afraid we were coming upon hunters who wouldn't know we were there! I don't know what crops would still be around this time of year outside Astorga.

I heard that too, when walking through that part of the Camino. I was told, and have read, that the gold mines in that area are still being mined and the loud bangs are dynamite.

Or a sports event.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is there a festival/ fair/ special market going on? Usually they set off flares to "announce" or "remind" people in the morning that there's a festival set up in town.

Buen Camino!
Trish,
I walked through that area a couple of days ago with a Spanish guy who told me the explosions were from slate mines - hence the slate roofs on all the houses in the area.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This does remind me of the loud bangs we heard in Leon when we were there in June 2014. It turned out that there was an old fellow in the square, with a wooden frame on his shoulders, and some *very large* bottle rocket like fireworks. It may have sounded like cannon--or RPG fire--but it was this one old fellow with his rockets. (Though DH almost threw me into the nearest hedge at first!) It was also within about 50 feet of a large crowd of folks doing Zumba in the park, right in front of the post office. Maybe you heard something similar.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annual pilgrim hunt, best to wear camo during hunting season so you blend in better...lol.

This does remind me of the loud bangs we heard in Leon when we were there in June 2014. It turned out that there was an old fellow in the square, with a wooden frame on his shoulders, and some *very large* bottle rocket like fireworks.

This fellow perhaps? :D:D
party020916f.jpg

Merry Christmas!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I remember passing a military base somewhere and heard loud bangs.

I walked Camino Frances in May - June 2017 and we heard these very loud bangs on several occasions. I was really on edge, ducking and diving and almost jumping out of my skin. I enquired about same and got some conflicting stories....however we felt we got the accurate answer from a very reliable source and it was..... Each village/town/area has a patron saint and when it is that "saints day" they celebrate and party with fireworks etc (I don't believe it is farmers protecting their crops from birds, pigs etc) I felt much more at ease with this explanation :)

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back