• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes as an alternative starting point to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Yesterday was the Feast Day of Our Lady of Lourdes.

For anyone considering a Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage here are 9 reasons why Lourdes is a wonderful starting point.

While a high majority of pilgrims wanting to do the Camino de Santiago for a month or longer choose St. Jean Pied-de-Port (SJPP) as a starting point, there are alternatives. Of course you can start closer in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, or even Sarria. Or elsewhere in Spain. However, for some the longer the better and a few start farther away at their homes all over Europe. In any case there are no right or wrong, best or worst places to begin. There is only your starting point.

For those with a bit of extra time, Lourdes and the Sanctuary of Our Lady is worth your consideration:

1. Lourdes is a holy city and a pilgrimage destination itself. In 1858, Mother Mary appeared to Bernadette, a 14 year old French girl. Today there are over 5 million pilgrims arriving here annually.

2. Puts you into a ”pilgrim frame of mind”. This is the single most powerful reason. There was something quite special starting the Camino lighting a candle for loved ones, walking around the grounds with other pilgrims at night holding lit candles singing ‘Ave Maria’ and other holy hymns, sensing the power of prayer watching people on their knees on the hard pavement connecting to their God and spirits. Lourdes is truly a place of miracles, as there have been 70 reported healing miracles since 1858.

3. This one is an extension of 2 and a bit subjective but if you are seeking a pilgrimage that reconnects you with your inner soul, walking from Lourdes to SJPP will offer some quiet reflection time before integrating with the much more populated Camino Frances.

4. Starting in Lourdes allows for a pilgrim to get in a bit of shape before the challenging SJPP to Roncesvalles stage over the Pyrenees. This stretch is 149 kilometers and takes 6 days on average. And you still get to experience the joy of reaching St. Jean and connecting with the many pilgrims arriving from all over the world to start their own pilgrimages. You may enjoy being one of the few through pilgrims who started before this bustling border town.

5. Enriches your pilgrimage experience walking through 2 countries. Every Camino is great but my personal favorites are the 4 I started in France or further away. Granted, SJPP is in France but one gets just a brief taste of France.

6. Allows one to experience French culture and cuisine. I love walking in Spain, but France is just as special. Only slightly more expensive as there are auberges and gites available. And the food and wine are exceptional. I enjoy the food in Spain, but the French passion for delectable cuisine paired with a good local wine makes dining in France a truly memorable part of one’s Camino.

7. This one is a bit subjective but if you are seeking a pilgrimage that reconnects you with your inner soul, walking from Lourdes to SJPP will offer some quiet reflection time before integrating with the much more populated Camino Frances.

8. Starting in Lourdes extends your Camino by a week. If you are like me any reason for lengthening our time on The Camino is a big plus.

9. Lourdes is easier to get to than SJPP. Being a major pilgrimage site there are excellent flight and train connections to Lourdes from all over Europe.

One final note. Speaking little or no French shouldn’t deter you. While the French have a reputation for occasionally being rude to tourists, I have found them to be friendly and accommodating to pilgrims during my 100+ days walking in France. Plus it’s fun to use “Bon Chemin” rather than “Buen Camino”.

For the original blog post with photos and links to more information on Lourdes and The Camino:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

For anyone considering a Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage here are 9 reasons why Lourdes is a wonderful starting point.

While a high majority of pilgrims wanting to do the Camino de Santiago for a month or longer choose St. Jean Pied-de-Port (SJPP) as a starting point, there are alternatives. Of course you can start closer in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, or even Sarria. Or elsewhere in Spain. However, for some the longer the better and a few start farther away at their homes all over Europe. In any case there are no right or wrong, best or worst places to begin. There is only your starting point.

For those with a bit of extra time, Lourdes and the Sanctuary of Our Lady is worth your consideration:

1. Lourdes is a holy city and a pilgrimage destination itself. In 1858, Mother Mary appeared to Bernadette, a 14 year old French girl. Today there are over 5 million pilgrims arriving here annually.

2. Puts you into a ”pilgrim frame of mind”. This is the single most powerful reason. There was something quite special starting the Camino lighting a candle for loved ones, walking around the grounds with other pilgrims at night holding lit candles singing ‘Ave Maria’ and other holy hymns, sensing the power of prayer watching people on their knees on the hard pavement connecting to their God and spirits. Lourdes is truly a place of miracles, as there have been 70 reported healing miracles since 1858.

3. This one is an extension of 2 and a bit subjective but if you are seeking a pilgrimage that reconnects you with your inner soul, walking from Lourdes to SJPP will offer some quiet reflection time before integrating with the much more populated Camino Frances.

4. Starting in Lourdes allows for a pilgrim to get in a bit of shape before the challenging SJPP to Roncesvalles stage over the Pyrenees. This stretch is 149 kilometers and takes 6 days on average. And you still get to experience the joy of reaching St. Jean and connecting with the many pilgrims arriving from all over the world to start their own pilgrimages. You may enjoy being one of the few through pilgrims who started before this bustling border town.

5. Enriches your pilgrimage experience walking through 2 countries. Every Camino is great but my personal favorites are the 4 I started in France or further away. Granted, SJPP is in France but one gets just a brief taste of France.

6. Allows one to experience French culture and cuisine. I love walking in Spain, but France is just as special. Only slightly more expensive as there are auberges and gites available. And the food and wine are exceptional. I enjoy the food in Spain, but the French passion for delectable cuisine paired with a good local wine makes dining in France a truly memorable part of one’s Camino.

7. This one is a bit subjective but if you are seeking a pilgrimage that reconnects you with your inner soul, walking from Lourdes to SJPP will offer some quiet reflection time before integrating with the much more populated Camino Frances.

8. Starting in Lourdes extends your Camino by a week. If you are like me any reason for lengthening our time on The Camino is a big plus.

9. Lourdes is easier to get to than SJPP. Being a major pilgrimage site there are excellent flight and train connections to Lourdes from all over Europe.

One final note. Speaking little or no French shouldn’t deter you. While the French have a reputation for occasionally being rude to tourists, I have found them to be friendly and accommodating to pilgrims during my 100+ days walking in France. Plus it’s fun to use “Bon Chemin” rather than “Buen Camino”.

For the original blog post with photos and links to more information on Lourdes and The Camino:
I've been to Lourdes and had a wonderful experience...don't miss the Rosary that occurs in the evening at dusk (I was there during the summer and it occurred after 9:00pm) I did not start my Camino in Lourdes, I took the train back to Bayonne and then continued on to SJPP...I just didn't have the time. But if one were to have the time, this post is a must read and a worthwhile idea.

Good luck to you on your Camino

I've been to Lourdes and had a wonderful experience...don't miss the Rosary that occurs in the evening at dusk (I was there during the summer and it occurred after 9:00pm) I did not start my Camino in Lourdes, I took the train back to Bayonne and then continued on to SJPP...I just didn't have the time. But if one were to have the time, this post is a must read and a worthwhile idea.

Good luck to you on your Camino
I missed the Rosary. I would like to return to Lourdes again walking the whole Camino Piemont from Narbonne. Thanks for the tip.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We started in Lourdes and were expecting to be disenchanted with the tourist schlock shops, which are a turn off. But when we participated in the evening procession in candlelight with perhaps 10,000 pilgrims singing Salve Regina, it was magical. We realized we were starting a pilgrimage with a pilgrimage! Instead of walking to SJPDP, which we walked the Arle route to Oleron S. Marie, a delightful town. From there we walked up to Somport, an awe inspiring pass because you are walking beneath towering peaks of the Pyrennes. We were now on the Camino Aragones, which is much less crowded than the Frances but with excellent pilgrim infrastructure and fascinating towns, monasteries and villages. This route end at Puente La Reina, connecting to the Frances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We started in Lourdes and were expecting to be disenchanted with the tourist schlock shops, which are a turn off. But when we participated in the evening procession in candlelight with perhaps 10,000 pilgrims singing Salve Regina, it was magical. We realized we were starting a pilgrimage with a pilgrimage! Instead of walking to SJPDP, which we walked the Arle route to Oleron S. Marie, a delightful town. From there we walked up to Somport, an awe inspiring pass because you are walking beneath towering peaks of the Pyrennes. We were now on the Camino Aragones, which is much less crowded than the Frances but with excellent pilgrim infrastructure and fascinating towns, monasteries and villages. This route end at Puente La Reina, connecting to the Frances.
Yes. Aragones is a great alternative Camino. The Monastery of Sarrance, Albergue in Arres, Templar Church of Santa Maria de Eunate and several other stops were too shelf. Excellent especially for pilgrims who have already walked SJPP to Puente La Reina.

Thank You for to this, I start from Lourdes in early April, nice to read your thoughts.

Yes. Aragones is a great alternative Camino. The Monastery of Sarrance, Albergue in Arres, Templar Church of Santa Maria de Eunate and several other stops were too shelf. Excellent especially for pilgrims who have already walked SJPP to Puente La Reina.
...and don't forget Jaca. We fell in love with that town and stayed two nights. For those going on from there, be sure to take the 0830 bus up to the monastery. If you walk there, it's a long, tough uphill grind and the modern hostel at the top is closed. If you take the bus, you have plenty of time to tour the upper area and the 9th century monastery below, then hike down to one of the villages below to stay.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually, a lot more expensive. I’d say twice the cost.

I met a French social worker with her young “charge” on the Norte, and she said she doesn’t "come to Spain for the food” 🤣.
When my wife and I walked from Lourdes to Oleron and then on to Somport, we spent very little. We were taken care of by villagers in some places with inexpensive albergues in others. We ate meals from groceries except in Oleron where we provided the entertainment for the crowd by practically collapsing in our chairs from exhaustion and hunger, dumping our bags, the ordering a large savory galette and later a sweet crepe. The amused at other tables treated us to some nice wine. Our least expensive stay was in Sarrance, where we arrived mid-day to a festive communal lunch, with decent quarters and a luscious dinner. I don't recall what we paid, but it wasn't much. We haven't walked other routes in France but we have heard it is generally at twice the daily cost of walking in Spain.

Thank You for to this, I start from Lourdes in early April, nice to read your thoughts.
Same here, thanks for the info Kevin! Also starting from Lourdes mid-April to continue to the Camino Frances. As I love thru-hiking, I was given the advice to start a week or two before SJPP, in order to get the typical "GR vibe", before the crowds come in at the Frances. I'm not religious but somehow starting in Lourdes makes the pilgrimage to SdC more complete and symbolic so it was an easy choice.
Thanks to this forum I managed to compile the list of pelgrim auberges along the Piemont Route, looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Thank you for your post Kevin. We will be passing through Lourdes when walking the Chemin du Piemont from Carcassone in April.

And thank you for including the comment above. I completely agree and, though you could argue I have some bias as I’m now married to a Frenchman, I wasn’t when I walked the Le Puy way back in 2014 with v little French. Hosts and French pilgrims were welcoming and friendly even if our ‘conversations’ were brief and clunky and probably quite painful for the native French speaker 😃 But they seemed to appreciate my efforts to communicate. I think the rude to tourists réputation, that is oft repeated, may have been borne of experience in Paris as can happen in large busy cities all around the world. Though that was not my experience when I first travelled there decades ago or since. In all my travels I’ve found having just a few words of the local language - hello, please, thank you, I’m sorry I don’t speak … etc is appreciated.

Anyhoo, great post. Merci beaucoup. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello wonderful people! Long shot maybe, anyone who walked from SJJP to Lourdes? I am planning to do that, and I am wondering if the signs are clear enough to walk to Lourdes? Merci Beaucoup!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked half of it (Oloron to Lourdes). Enough signage, but nothing like the Frances. If you get easily lost, then GPS is your friend. Gronze has info on the entire route (Piemonte). Walking to Lourdes is really beautiful and arriving in the plaza amongst all of the religious visitors is quite moving. In the past, the pilgrim accommodation there allowed two night stays if you planned to visit the holy sites.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. As I will walk this route to do a spiritual pilgrimage would you know if there monestaries on the route who are open to receive pilgrims?

Thank you for sharing your experiences. As I will walk this route to do a spiritual pilgrimage would you know if there monestaries on the route who are open to receive pilgrims?
First day out of Lourdes headed west on the Piemonte, there is a monastery complex which has been open to pilgrims in the past - check Gronze to see if they are open post-Covid.

If you walk the end of the Arles to the Aragon, you can stay at a monastery in Sarrance. They offer an evening service and a communal meal with the monks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back