Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Lourdes to Somport to Santiago de Compostella

Past OR future Camino
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to get from Lourdes to Puenta de la Reina, going through the Somport Pass? I've gone from SJPdP to SdC and from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC, but I am trying to estimate how much time for this part of this route. I'm planning for the spring of 2022.
I'm old, out of shape, and a slow walker (roughly 3 mph with my pack).
Any advice will be useful.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
While it’s completely dependent on not only your speed but also how long you walk each day, plan for 6-7 days from Lourdes to Somport, then 9-10 days from there to Puenta. Side trips to Javier castle, Leyre, Foz de Lumbier, and San Juan de la Pena will add a day or two for each diversion. Again, it all depends if you are doing 6 miles a day or 16!

I will say, though, that it’s a tremendous route that is thoroughly enjoyable and completely different than the CF!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

John Saxon

Past OR future Camino
I walked this in reverse (Puenta la Reina to Lourdes) in September 2021. My walk took 14 days including "detours" for San Juan and Lumbier. But my pace and distance may be a bit more than yours so 15 or 16 days might be a better estimate. FWIW the second day of my descent into France from Somport (between Estaut and Sarrance) was pretty tough--rained all day, slippery, narrow trail, steep drop offs, need to keep eyes open for markers. Still, really glad to have experienced the Piedmont, Arles, and Aragones. Bon Chemin! Buen Camino!

Hans-Georg Goebel

Past OR future Camino
all big ones
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to get from Lourdes to Puenta de la Reina, going through the Somport Pass? I've gone from SJPdP to SdC and from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC, but I am trying to estimate how much time for this part of this route. I'm planning for the spring of 2022.
I'm old, out of shape, and a slow walker (roughly 3 mph with my pack).
Any advice will be useful.
Congrats for you planed way. For me , it was the nicest way 2008 - 2019. I made the way in 2012, it took me, slow walking, three days Lourdes to Oleron and three day up to the Somport. I dont remeber how long it took down to Puenta la Reina

Last edited:

Grahammac

Past OR future Camino
Arles/Arogonese (2019)
In summer hot and dry I took 12 days and I was 71. No detours and a couple of 25+ days, especially the last day to Puenta. However, a lot of it is clay and this will be tough when wet. Obanos is just before Puenta and an excellent night stay at a small place just before you exit the town.

F

Former member 35551

Obanos is just before Puenta and an excellent night stay at a small place just before you exit the town.

Second staying in Obanos over Puenta. Charming little town. Based on the description I think Graham is referring to the Albergue Atseden. I stayed there in 2019 and it was a fantastic place. Unbelievable value for what you got. However, only 10 beds and it filled up fast. I made reservations.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Past OR future Camino
Second staying in Obanos over Puenta. Charming little town. Based on the description I think Graham is referring to the Albergue Atseden. I stayed there in 2019 and it was a fantastic place. Unbelievable value for what you got. However, only 10 beds and it filled up fast. I made reservations.
Hmmm. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the advice about making a reservation.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads