• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes to Somport to Santiago de Compostela

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to get from Lourdes to Puenta de la Reina, going through the Somport Pass? I've gone from SJPdP to SdC and from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC, but I am trying to estimate how much time for this part of this route. I'm planning for the spring of 2022.
I'm old, out of shape, and a slow walker (roughly 3 mph with my pack).
Any advice will be useful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it took me about 15 days back in 2018.... And I regret that I did not give myself a 'rest' day to explore Jaca.

(I did preface my walk with a day's sightseeing in Toulouse, and a day's soaking up the unique ambiance of Lourdes. Time well spent.)

While it’s completely dependent on not only your speed but also how long you walk each day, plan for 6-7 days from Lourdes to Somport, then 9-10 days from there to Puenta. Side trips to Javier castle, Leyre, Foz de Lumbier, and San Juan de la Pena will add a day or two for each diversion. Again, it all depends if you are doing 6 miles a day or 16!

I will say, though, that it’s a tremendous route that is thoroughly enjoyable and completely different than the CF!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked this in reverse (Puenta la Reina to Lourdes) in September 2021. My walk took 14 days including "detours" for San Juan and Lumbier. But my pace and distance may be a bit more than yours so 15 or 16 days might be a better estimate. FWIW the second day of my descent into France from Somport (between Estaut and Sarrance) was pretty tough--rained all day, slippery, narrow trail, steep drop offs, need to keep eyes open for markers. Still, really glad to have experienced the Piedmont, Arles, and Aragones. Bon Chemin! Buen Camino!

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to get from Lourdes to Puenta de la Reina, going through the Somport Pass? I've gone from SJPdP to SdC and from Lourdes to SJPdP to SdC, but I am trying to estimate how much time for this part of this route. I'm planning for the spring of 2022.
Congrats for you planed way. For me , it was the nicest way 2008 - 2019. I made the way in 2012, it took me, slow walking, three days Lourdes to Oleron and three day up to the Somport. I dont remeber how long it took down to Puenta la Reina

Last edited:
In summer hot and dry I took 12 days and I was 71. No detours and a couple of 25+ days, especially the last day to Puenta. However, a lot of it is clay and this will be tough when wet. Obanos is just before Puenta and an excellent night stay at a small place just before you exit the town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Obanos is just before Puenta and an excellent night stay at a small place just before you exit the town.

Second staying in Obanos over Puenta. Charming little town. Based on the description I think Graham is referring to the Albergue Atseden. I stayed there in 2019 and it was a fantastic place. Unbelievable value for what you got. However, only 10 beds and it filled up fast. I made reservations.

Second staying in Obanos over Puenta. Charming little town. Based on the description I think Graham is referring to the Albergue Atseden. I stayed there in 2019 and it was a fantastic place. Unbelievable value for what you got. However, only 10 beds and it filled up fast. I made reservations.
Hmmm. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for the advice about making a reservation.

In summer hot and dry I took 12 days and I was 71. No detours and a couple of 25+ days, especially the last day to Puenta. However, a lot of it is clay and this will be tough when wet. Obanos is just before Puenta and an excellent night stay at a small place just before you exit the town.

Hello,

I hope to do Lourdes to Puenta this September. Is it well marked? Is the pilgrims office in Lourdes a good source of info? Any tips for a 68 yo solo pilgrim would be appreciated.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
in the pilgrim office in Lourdes, you can get a beautiful special credential

special credential
Is this new? We made a pilgrimage to Lourdes from Biarritz in 2019 and received warm greetings from the Pilgrims Office there, but no one mentioned a special credential. S it specific to that route or for Lourdes to Santiago or ???

Is this new? We made a pilgrimage to Lourdes from Biarritz in 2019 and received warm greetings from the Pilgrims Office there, but no one mentioned a special credential. S it specific to that route or for Lourdes to Santiago or ???
oh, I made the way in 2012, maybe they changed

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't even know there was a special pilgrim's office in Lourdes. Where is it? When I walked, I knew where I was going and what I was doing, I got a stamp somewhere and just started walking. Would like to have a special credencial from Lourdes. I already have this year's Holy Year one from Ivar, but since i usually need two, this wouldn't be a problem.

I didn't even know there was a special pilgrim's office in Lourdes. Where is it? When I walked, I knew where I was going and what I was doing, I got a stamp somewhere and just started walking. Would like to have a special credencial from Lourdes. I already have this year's Holy Year one from Ivar, but since i usually need two, this wouldn't be a problem.
I think the pilgrim's office in Lourdes is for pilgrims to Lourdes, rather than pilgrims from Lourdes. :)

2014 Lourdes to Oloron: 2 days;

2012 Oloron to Puenta la Reina 8 days.

5 of the stages were over 30km, the 2 longest 37km.

2014 Lourdes to Oloron: 2 days;

2012 Oloron to Puenta la Reina 8 days.

5 of the stages were over 30km, the 2 longest 37km.
I checked my diary, 3 days Oleron (64Km), 3 days Somport (64Km) and 9 days Puenta la Reine (170Km).
By the way, in 2012 there was also pilgrim accommodation in Lourdes, but certainly for pilgrims to Lourdes, but I stayed 2 nights in a centrally located inexpensive hotel myself.

I checked my diary, 3 days Oleron (64Km), 3 days Somport (64Km) and 9 days Puenta la Reine (170Km).
By the way, in 2012 there was also pilgrim accommodation in Lourdes, but certainly for pilgrims to Lourdes, but I stayed 2 nights in a centrally located inexpensive hotel myself.
Yes, I just stayed in a cheap hotel when I arrived in Lourdes before starting out to SJPdP and SdC. It was over a pizzeria.
Very much appreciate the timeline! Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think the pilgrim's office in Lourdes is for pilgrims to Lourdes, rather than pilgrims from Lourdes. :)

Hi David
There is an information centre in Lourdes for those walking the way of St James.
It is located at 16 Boulevard de La Grotte in the centre of Lourdes.
I was a volunteer at the gîte La Ruche,an accueil jacquaire specifically for those walking the Way/ Chemin of St James.
The Centre d'Information phoned us ,almost daily,seeking beds for pilgrims.
It is an excellent information centre and the volunteers are former pilgrims.
Not to be confused with the information centre for Lourdes pilgrims which is situated in the grounds of the Sanctuary.

Hi David
There is an information centre in Lourdes for those walking the way of St James.
It is located at 16 Boulevard de La Grotte in the centre of Lourdes.
I was a volunteer at the gîte La Ruche,an accueil jacquaire specifically for those walking the Way/ Chemin of St James.
The Centre d'Information phoned us ,almost daily,seeking beds for pilgrims.
It is an excellent information centre and the volunteers are former pilgrims.
Not to be confused with the information centre for Lourdes pilgrims which is situated in the grounds of the Sanctuary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try this link:

Hi Mournes. The facebook page does not appear to have been updated since Sep 2017. The links on that page are broken. Do you know if they are still active/open?
Hi Matchu.I have just checked out their Facebook page and it was last updated in 2019.The Centre is still operational as they have an appeal for volunteers for this year .Their email address is croiseedeschemins.gmail.com.
Best Wishes.

We visited the pilgrims office in Lourdes in April 2022 while walking the Chemin du Piemont. It was their first day of the season (13 April that year) and the Belgian volunteer Luc, who volunteers for two weeks each year, was very kind. He allowed us to leave our backpacks while we spent time in Lourdes.

Outside the office was something I hadn’t seen before - a bench to rest, with a solar powered USB!

Attachments

• 3BAAA3E5-4B6F-45E3-B652-5EE6606DB33C.jpeg
    3BAAA3E5-4B6F-45E3-B652-5EE6606DB33C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 9CBB3947-576F-490A-A172-8A8A9CF22383.jpeg
    9CBB3947-576F-490A-A172-8A8A9CF22383.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi Mariana. I am starting mid June and taking the Aragon route. Keen to see what you discover. Buon Cammino ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back