• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes via Piedmont-Aragones-French-Invierno to Santiago

cmg

Time of past OR future Camino
well, it finally seems to be happening! Lourdes to Santiago, April 2019!
Hi there,

After many years of waiting and planning, this dream seems to be happening :). Airfare has already been bought.

Starting 1 April (and this is not an April's fool joke!) in Lourdes I intend to cross via Somport into Spain to follow the Aragones to Puente la Reina, then follow the Frances and detour through the Invierno to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The plan sounds great, but definitely have a contingency plan if there’s a late winter like last year. Traffic (vehicle and pedestrian) over the Somport Pass was closed for a couple of days mid-April due to a snowstorm and then flooding diverted a lot of the Camino Aragones onto paved roads.

That being said, I loved the CA in spite of the weather so much that I’ll be walking it again this Spring! Just be prepared.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A great plan and worth the wait.
We’ll both be missing from home on Anzac Day!
I’ll be on Vdlp
Buen Camino
Annie
Thanks Annie, where are you starting?

The plan sounds great, but definitely have a contingency plan if there’s a late winter like last year. Traffic (vehicle and pedestrian) over the Somport Pass was closed for a couple of days mid-April due to a snowstorm and then flooding diverted a lot of the Camino Aragones onto paved roads.

That being said, I loved the CA in spite of the weather so much that I’ll be walking it again this Spring! Just be prepared.
Thanks Vacajoe, yes that is a good point to consider. Cheers!

Thanks Annie, where are you starting?
Hola
Arrive Sevilla early afternoon April 5 and plan to start walking out 7 April (or maybe 8th) - Ive been there a couple of times. Great place.

The plan sounds great, but ...
Camino Aragones ....

I loved the CA in spite of the weather so much that I’ll be walking it again this Spring! .
Lucky man @Vacajoe

And @cmg I was on the camino de Madrid late March this year. It was great walking but a bit of (freezing)water to cross and had to catch a train the section ‘ Fuenfria pass’ closed due to snow -it lies between ‘Cercedilla and Segovia’ ... .. but statistics are just that - hoping you get a good run across Somport (I envy you - I haven’t walked that section).
I walked the Invierno after the cdm this year starting 6 April. I only met (saw) one other pilgrim.. a young lady turned up at the Pensión just behind me in Quiroga. Great route though
Re weather : I think the ground hadn’t warmed up enough to see many wildflowers at that time but I saw lots later in April travelling through romania and Bulgaria.
I’m ‘hoping’ to see spring flowers this year .. I don’t expect to finish my Vdlp this trip as I’m going to take it easy and go back another time for the last section. How much time do you have. Ie what date do you fly home ?

Enjoy the next few months getting yourself in ship shape cmg..
Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sevilla is a great place. Check "La Carbonería", a free authentic flamenco bar if you have time.
I arrive in Bcn at the end of March and don't go back home until mid June, so there is a little bit of time for contingencies, i.e. snow across Somport, etc.
Cheers

Hi there,

After many years of waiting and planning, this dream seems to be happening :). Airfare has already been bought.

Starting 1 April (and this is not an April's fool joke!) in Lourdes I intend to cross via Somport into Spain to follow the Aragones to Puente la Reina, then follow the Frances and detour through the Invierno to Santiago.

That was my original plan for my 2014, but circumstance and whatnot led to my continuing on the Francès after Ponferrada.

The most difficult section of that route is between Arudy or Oloron (depending which variant you follow) and the Somport -- some parts of that section are quite beautiful, and a couple of the places where you might stay are fantastic, but there's quite a lot of tarmac with heavy traffic, and much of that section is wedged between steep mountain slopes which can become a bit repetitive and tiresome and fatiguing.

Easier after the Somport, the Aragonès after Jaca is very beautiful indeed though !!

I have done this route twice already, starting at Lourdes, and once from the top of the Somport Pass. You will not see many pilgrims along the way. We crossed over the Somport Pass at the end of May this year, and the snow was only on the higher peaks. It is a stunning route and I can highly recommend it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was my original plan for my 2014, but circumstance and whatnot led to my continuing on the Francès after Ponferrada.

The most difficult section of that route is between Arudy or Oloron (depending which variant you follow) and the Somport -- some parts of that section are quite beautiful, and a couple of the places where you might stay are fantastic, but there's quite a lot of tarmac with heavy traffic, and much of that section is wedged between steep mountain slopes which can become a bit repetitive and tiresome and fatiguing.

Easier after the Somport, the Aragonès after Jaca is very beautiful indeed though !!

Thanks for the advice JabbaPapa, my main concern at the moment is the weather at Somport Pass. Cheers

I have done this route twice already, starting at Lourdes, and once from the top of the Somport Pass. You will not see many pilgrims along the way. We crossed over the Somport Pass at the end of May this year, and the snow was only on the higher peaks. It is a stunning route and I can highly recommend it.

Thanks Jennysa, I am looking forward to it. Cheers

Hola
Arrive Sevilla early afternoon April 5 and plan to start walking out 7 April (or maybe 8th) - Ive been there a couple of times. Great place.

Lucky man @Vacajoe

And @cmg I was on the camino de Madrid late March this year. It was great walking but a bit of (freezing)water to cross and had to catch a train the section ‘ Fuenfria pass’ closed due to snow -it lies between ‘Cercedilla and Segovia’ ... .. but statistics are just that - hoping you get a good run across Somport (I envy you - I haven’t walked that section).
I walked the Invierno after the cdm this year starting 6 April. I only met (saw) one other pilgrim.. a young lady turned up at the Pensión just behind me in Quiroga. Great route though
Re weather : I think the ground hadn’t warmed up enough to see many wildflowers at that time but I saw lots later in April travelling through romania and Bulgaria.
I’m ‘hoping’ to see spring flowers this year .. I don’t expect to finish my Vdlp this trip as I’m going to take it easy and go back another time for the last section. How much time do you have. Ie what date do you fly home ?

Enjoy the next few months getting yourself in ship shape cmg..
Buen Camino
Annie
Hi,
We will strat de VdlP on April 3rd, you might catch up, doing around 20 km per day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back