• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes

Safi

Hi,
I am still in the research and planning stage of my Camino. I am thinking of doing the Arles route but I really want to see Lourdes. Does anybody have advice on how you would go about doing this? Has anyone done it before? Thanks :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was going to thank Peter Robins for the map, but now I think I should blame him for precision.

I am also wanting to do Lourdes...but I want to arrive there from Madrid. What is best taking a bus or train to Lourdes? I then want to walk from Lourdes to St. Jean Pied du Port and beyond..any suggestions?
Thanks,n.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 said:
I was going to thank Peter Robins for the map, but now I think I should blame him for precision.
the precision in distances is bogus anyway, because no-one will walk the exact route delineated on the map. However, you have to round the distances off to some extent, and I just picked 2 decimal places. It's just to give a basic sense of relative distances - as the saying goes, your mileage may vary

I THOUGHT that stage into Oloron was 25.39km instead of 25.38km. Now I know why.

Peter Robins provides the best route information available, and everyone who uses his maps owes him a great debt of gratitude. You have my personal thanks, Peter.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the tremendously late reply but I just wanted to say a big THANK-YOU for taking your time to give this info it has been really helpful! I also eventually found a post on the same topic which also made things clearer so Santiago via Lourdes here I come! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would like to add my thanks too!

I am starting the Camino de Santiago from Lourdes myself and would have simply used google maps (or Viewranger if they have completed the Spanish mapping by the time i depart). Will take a look at the links tomorrow and see how far out my own planned route to ST. JPdP is in comparison :)

safi, if you will be following via tolosana first (from arles via toulouse) you can connect with lourdes via GR 101 that branches south from GR 653 (via tolosana) just after Moubourget. ask in the camping in Moubourget, they were very very helpful. it probably takes 3-4 days.

also check out this IGN maps of france: http://www.randogps.net/gps-rando-carte ... Esterel%29
just scroll your mouse for zoom in and out then hold the left pad to move to the desired position.

you could also deviate from via tolosana in Montpellier when there will be a new GR linking Montpellier with Voie du Piemont Pyreneen in Carcassonne, I think. or take the bus from there to Narbonne or Narbonne-Plage where it begins.

yeah, peter robins' site is amazing! I am currently exploring the historic section about the medieval pilgrims.

Greetings a few weeks before I embark on the Camino and want to make sure of everything before I through caution to the wind. I have tried to make a reservation with the euro train from Madrid to Lourdes but says cannot comply that I need to phone to make this sort of reservation, it also gives a 1-800 number. Is this a usual procedure would appreciate feed back. Many thanks and Buen Camino to everyone.
n. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hello nathanael!

I think it depends from which country you are trying to make a reservation from. for example, I couldn't make any reservations for france or germany at the train station in santiago. but I can make reservations to practically anywhere starting in slovenia. go figure. perhaps the best bet is to go directly to a local train station and ask. or a travel company.

good luck!

Hi Safi

I know its an old post but since I am new here I will let you know how I plan do to my camino, (In case you read this)

I'm flighing from Madrid to France (Toulouse) train to Lourdes, camino aragones (the one to Jaca)

Zo

Re: Re:Lourdes

PilgrimChris said:
I would like to add my thanks too!

I am starting the Camino de Santiago from Lourdes myself and would have simply used google maps (or Viewranger if they have completed the Spanish mapping by the time i depart). Will take a look at the links tomorrow and see how far out my own planned route to ST. JPdP is in comparison :)
Hi Pilgrim Chris - Did you do this route and if so, how was it? I am planning to walk it in September and then make a stop at Granon, where I will be hospitalero for 2 weeks, but dont know yet where I will go from there.
Regards, Jenny

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can anyone give us information on getting to Pau from Barcelona?
I can find transport to Jaca, but can't figure out how to get past the border.
Help?

Barcelona to Toulouse, then Toulouse to Pau. Example:

BARCELONA (NORD) show map 09:30
GERONA/GIRONA show map 11:00 11:00
FIGUERES show map 11:45 11:45
PERPIGNAN show map 12:45 12:45
NARBONNE show map 15:00 15:00
TOULOUSE show map 16:30

Or from Zaragoza:

ZARAGOZA show map 18:15
TUDELA show map 19:15 19:15
LOGROÑO show map 20:30 20:30
VITORIA-GASTEIZ show map 22:30 22:30
BILBAO show map 23:30 23:30
SAN SEBASTIAN show map 00:30 00:30 +1
IRUN show map 00:45 00:45 +1
BAYONA show map 01:30 01:30 +1
ORTHEZ show map 02:30 02:30 +1
PAU show map 03:15 +1

You can go from Jaca to Somport to Oloron Ste. Marie, then to Pau.

To Somport:

http://www.turismolajacetania.es/dondee ... estamos/20

From TripAdvisor
- Take the 13:45hs train from Pau to Canfranc (you must change to a bus in Oloron to cross the mountains) Approx. 13€

- When arrival at Canfranc, just in front of the bus stop there's another bus stop with buses from Canfranc to Jaca bus station. Approx 2.5€
I suspect the reverse is also possible...

Départ : – Canfranc
Arrivée : Oloron-Sainte-Marie – gare de Oloron-Ste-Marie (64400)
Départ vers : 19h45

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning to walk from Lourdes in mid-September this year. Has anyone done it this year, and if so, was it a very solitary walk? I was trying to work out how many days it will take to get to Somport, and whether it is necessary to book accommodation ahead each night in France?

On the quieter routes in France, calling ahead is often necessary to get a gite unlocked. Frequently there is no full-time staff even during peak periods, and you will need to contact a tourist office or city hall when they are open in order to get entry into a facility. September from Lourdes will be on the backside of the busy time of the year.

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spi ... ubrique385

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?article637

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?article655

Hi Jenny,

I walked that part both in 2005 and 2008, both times in the beginning of october.
The maps from aucoeurduchemin are more than sufficient (as is the way-marking)
Prepare to walk alone until Oloron Ste Marie.
I didn't call in advance for lodging, and found a bed every night.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I are planning to walk to Lourdes from either Le Puy via the GR#65 or from Arles via GR#653. I figured how to connect to the route going to Lourdes (GR#101) and how long it will take.

We plan to leave May 19 and arrive in Lourdes June 21

Both ways take approx 30 days (maybe less for those you want walk longer each day). We have included a few extra days for sightseeing in some of important towns and cities along the way

Question?

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Lourdes? I suspect it will be busy mid June

Thanks

The tourist office can give your advice in all price ranges. I chose the cheap dormitory down the road a few blocks from the big hospital.

On Google Maps: 43.099987,-0.057832

Can someone help me read this schedule? I'm trying to get from Barcelona to Jaca. It appears there is a bus at 8 am to Hesca (arriving 11:55) but then the bus goes from Zaragoza to Jaca at 12:15. How far is it from Huesca to Zaragoza and how do you get there?
Could I walk?
Could I walk from Zaragoza to Jaca?
Help?

1ª Opción de Viaje: De Barcelona-Sants a Jaca - enlace Huesca - (14/5/2012)

Línea Salida origen Parada enlace Llegada enlace Precio
BARCELONA - HUESCA 08:00 Huesca 11:55 15,70 € Taquilla

Línea de enlace Salida enlace Llegada destino Precio Precio total
enlace recomendado ZARAGOZA - JACA 12:15 13:30 7,15 € 22,85 € Taquilla

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The linea is called ^Zaragoza - Jaca^ and the bus leaving Zaragoza (at 11.00) leaves Huesca at 12.15 for Jaca.

http://www.alosa.es/

Zaragoza is 80 km south- west of Huesca.
Happy planning!

Attachments

• Bild 8.png
    Bild 8.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,400
  • Bild 10.png
    Bild 10.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 2,398

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...
I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back