• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Love taking pictures

Kimmzie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago .. St Jean planning to do June 2015
I am a picture taking freak lol... I would like to purchase a light weight easy to operate camera, any suggestions on which camera to purchase?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A Samsung Galaxy S5. Takes excellent photos and video, long battery life, short charging time and also doubles as a phone, internet, email and blogging device. Takes an SD card and you can carry a spare battery for those times when you can't get a charging point. An excellent all rounder.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with Wayfarer to use a multi purpose device for communication, internet,pictures and video. however I am an IPhone and Ipad fan.

the other day I bought a Gopro actioncamera for vids and pictures.very light device about 180 grams. I had some promishing results until now with the camera.
http://gopro.com/
I use it with a chest harnass and it fits exellently with the straps of my backpack..
The Gopro can make pictures and video in a very hig quality and is very small..

Last edited:
I am a picture taking freak lol... I would like to purchase a light weight easy to operate camera, any suggestions on which camera to purchase?

If you have a smart phone, my suggestion would be to bring that. I carry my Iphone - can use it for photos (mostly) but also to check in with home (elderlies at home) and if you like music, then also music. Only taking photos and checking email once a day (elderlies) I need to charge every 2 days and finding a plug is getting easier and easier - some albergues now even have a plug per bed. It sits all day is one of my cargo pants pocket, easy to reach and yet secured by the botton.

I'm an iPhone/iPad junkie, but if he is really into taking pictures he probably wants better picture quality than what such devices can achieve. He probably needs a picture taking only device.

We took a small nikkon cool pics camera and it did a really good job for its size. At home we really like the NikkonJ (it's semi professional and not that expensive.....but bigger than the one we took on camino).

We tried to Camino with no phone/internet but ended up buying a iPod in Pamplona because we needed some internet access because we were carrying a baby.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You didn't give any price or size guidelines.
I took a Canon DSLR the first time. This year I took a Sony A6000 (arguably the best mirror-less camera on the market).
I'm now thinking about selling both my Canon DSLRs, lenses, and gear, to buy a second Sony. The A6000 is a Home Run.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8BICCG/?tag=casaivar02-20

Some of my photos from a market in Spain. http://jalbum.net/a/1560406

I'm somewhat of a photo nut myself, and I can attest to the qualities of the Canon S100 and Canon G1X as referenced in Bajaracer's post. I own both of them, and the images they produce are outstanding. The GiX, even though classified as a "compact" camera, has a sensor almost as large as those used in the APSC-sized DSLRS. Its main drawback is its size and weight -- it is much larger than the S100 and its later iterations, the S110 and S120. All that said, however, on my Camino I took a Canon SX150 and not the S100 or the G1X. I chose this camera for three reasons: 1) it has a 10x zoom range vs the 4x zoom of the others; 2) it uses easily replaceable AA batteries, so I didn't have to worry about charging a proprietary battery, and 3) the SX150 allows the same degree of manual control as do the S100 and G1X -- all three have a top control for choosing full manual exposure, shutter speed priority, aperture priority, or a variety of automatic and pre-set "scene" modes. The cons of the SX150 are 1) smallest sensor of the three, and 2) maximum 720p hi-def video. It should be noted that all three of the cameras I mention are out of production; however later versions with essentially the same specifications are available.

Of course my wife just used her Motorola smart phone and she got excellent photos as well. I just like having more manual control over my cameras than the typical smart phone.

I also own a couple of DSLRs, but they are way too big and heavy IMO to carry on the Camino, especially if you take multiple lenses.

Jim
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...552.1073741827.1187979153&type=1&l=7eec0c275c

I have posted a number of pictures over the last two years, and originally decided my Canon DSLR w/telephoto was too heavy, so all of my photos have been taken with a Fujifilm F900EXR, at 7 oz., it is 16 mp, 20X zoom, and shoots RAW/Jpeg, fits in a small belt case. My wife however gets great results with her Iphone5, so it is just a matter of preference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have a look at the Panasonic Lumix LF1, it is a compact camera but is packed with features, has a Leica lens AND a small electronic viewfinder. Normally you would use the screen on the back to compose your picture but when it is too bright switch to the viewfinder. It also has short range WiFi so each day I download that day's pictures onto my smartphone or tablet then when there is free WiFi I upload from the phone/tablet onto the Cloud for storage. Camera to phone/tablet does NOT require external WiFi availability. Brilliant.

I plan to take my Canon SX280 HS (20x zoom, WiFi & GPS, and it is pocket size) with spare battery + charger.
Also I will take my iPhone 6 and iPad mini retina.
This gives me all the back up that I can envisage. Guide books, phone numbers for accommodation etc, on both phone and pad with everything also duplicated on my iCloud account. With the Mac ecosystem my v/blog will be replicated as I progress (?!) (when I have WiFi availability) on my iMac at home for the family to access.

I think both sides of the camera debate have been touched on already. A smartphone is the modern equivalent of your grandparents' box brownie. Great for happy snaps if you want a basic record of you journey. I prefer the greater capabilities available with a dedicated camera.

That said, I find being able to carry my camera in a pouch I can clip to my pack harness so that I don't have to take my pack off to get my camera is the next most important thing in my selection criteria. This generally means getting a flat profile body rather than the bulkier bridge style similar to a conventional SLR.

My last criteria is to get a reasonably high optical zoom ratio, so you don't lose camera resolution as you zoom in. Phones and tablets generally have no optical zoom. Depending on your needs, zooms of x5 are common, but you can get much more without adding too much weight.

I started using Olympus ultra zoom cameras many years ago when they were pretty much the only brand that offered high zoom ratios on small digital cameras. While I continue to use their cameras, all the major makers are now represented in this segment. So there are plenty of makers and models to choose from.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best camera is the one you have on you.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back