• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Loved the VdlP so what next?

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
I really loved the VdlP probably my favourite to . I first walked the Frances then the Norte but for me the VdlP offered better scenery with less cities and not too many people. In the municipal albergue in Zamora there was a fantastic map showing all of the caminos which I photographed as it was easy to see where I wanted to go next. Unfortunately, when i framed the shot I missed off the left hand side of the map so have not got the map key and camino names. Anyone seen a comprehensive map? Copy can be seen at:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/incomplete-map-of-vdlp.5012/
I was thinking of doing the ones labelled 20/30/29/11/17(inverno) to join the last part of the VdlP. Can anyone identify these?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love this "interactive" map. www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos
It tells you the name of each route when you click it. (Ha, ha Pabloke, we posted these at the same time).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you - both! It seems the link to rayyrosa is a bit more comprehensive.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing the ones labelled 20/30/29/11/17(inverno) to join the last part of the VdlP. Can anyone identify these?

20 and 30 are Camino Vasco del Interior (Irún-Santo Domingo de Silos) and Vía de Bayona (Bayonne-Burgos). Sometimes they are considered a single camino with two branches. Both caminos share the route from Irún to Estavillo.

29 is a pretty unknown one that won't show up in most sources. It links Bilbao with Burgos. I don't know how's the signaling of that route and be aware you would be walking it backwards... To get an idea of the towns that crosses that camino: www.pesadasdeburgos.com/Camino%20de%20Santiago.htm and for more detailed info: www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino//caminos/caminover.asp?CaminoId=66 (where they call it the Camino del Valle de Mena)

11 is the Camino Olvidado (the Bilbao branch of it).

If you want to avoid the backtracking that 29 means on your route, you could take the Vía de Bayona till Miranda de Ebro. Once in Miranda de Ebro, continue on the Viejo Camino (aka the Pamplona branch of the Olvidado) till Aguilar de Campoo where it joins the Bilbao branch of the Olvidado. There's info on the forum about the Viejo Camino (look for it) and @caminka has walked it herself years ago.

P.S.: Invierno joins the last part of the Camino Sanabrés, not of the VdlP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it would be 20+30(la bayona)/29 (unknown link from Frances to Ovidadi)/11(Ovidadi/17(invierno). Anyone else with some info?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Castilian - thank you very much. You were obviously posting when I was typing. Great info and that will give me plenty to consider over the next few months!

Thank you - both! It seems the link to rayyrosa is a bit more comprehensive.
Hello,
I really want to do the Vdlp but can only start next Feb. hoping the weather will be good Did you do from Seville ?
How long did it take you ?
I too prefer fewer people .
Thanks much,
Eliza

For anyone who wants to walk a pilgrimage away from the crowds, I suggest walking to Jerusalem. :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking to J
I really loved the VdlP probably my favourite to . I first walked the Frances then the Norte but for me the VdlP offered better scenery with less cities and not too many people. In the municipal albergue in Zamora there was a fantastic map showing all of the caminos which I photographed as it was easy to see where I wanted to go next. Unfortunately, when i framed the shot I missed off the left hand side of the map so have not got the map key and camino names. Anyone seen a comprehensive map? Copy can be seen at:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/incomplete-map-of-vdlp.5012/
Hi MikeIan
Was the way well marked?
Tks

Hello,
I really want to do the Vdlp but can only start next Feb. hoping the weather will be good Did you do from Seville ?
How long did it take you ?
I too prefer fewer people .
Thanks much,
Eliza
I walked from Seville and took 32 days. Could have done it in around 30 but I am happy to walk 30kms plus per day and my natural pace is quite fast. Certainly wont be many people there in Feb but may be a bit cold and wet!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back