• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lovely Taize Service in Santiago

mmayersmith

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - May 2022
Yesterday on arriving in Santiago, I attended the Taize style prayer service at 4:30 in the chapel at the Pilgrim office. It was a lovely, low keyed and meaningful way to reflect on my journey. It was presented in Spanish and English and is focused on song and reflection. The chapel is just inside the door to the left of the Pilgrims Office.

There is a similar type of service held at St. Agustín Church nightly at 10 pm.

Both lasted about 30 minutes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Taize service?
Taizé Prayer is filled with song, scripture and silent meditation. This ecumenical form of prayer is modeled on the style as practiced in the Taizé Community in France. Those who attend regularly find a profound peace and tranquility in this style of prayer. Everyone is welcome, regardless of faith tradition.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Yesterday on arriving in Santiago, I attended the Taize style prayer service at 4:30 in the chapel at the Pilgrim office. It was a lovely, low keyed and meaningful way to reflect on my journey. It was presented in Spanish and English and is focused on song and reflection. The chapel is just inside the door to the left of the Pilgrims Office.

There is a similar type of service held at St. Agustín Church nightly at 10 pm.

Both lasted about 30 minutes.
Thanks for the info <3
Andrea

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Taize service?
the meditation part of the Taize service is the Ma Ra Na Ta ( maranatha ) mantra; a way of prayer brought back by FR. John Main back in the '60's. It's a very simple way of meditation : sit still and with your back straight , internally in your mind repeat Ma Ra Na Ta ( a lot of practioners do this on the inbreath and exhale in silence) for twenty minutes. It is very calming and soothing to the '' mind''. I would do it every night and morning in the Albergues and many times I had '' pilgrims'' sit on the floor with me for the twenty minutes.
Google 'Meditatio ', it's a world wide organization.
PS. Ma Ra Na Ta ; come Holy Spirit !

Thank you for sharing! That would indeed be a very special moment.

The Monks have a lovely taize in Rabanal. Thanks for Santiago information. Will look into on next Camino.
‘Jesus Remember Me’….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Taizé Prayer is filled with song, scripture and silent meditation. This ecumenical form of prayer is modeled on the style as practiced in the Taizé Community in France. Those who attend regularly find a profound peace and tranquility in this style of prayer. Everyone is welcome, regardless of faith tradition.
... pilgrims often overnight at the Taize Community in France on their way to Santiago de Compostela, to Le Puy en Velay, Assisi, Rome and other places.

Here is a map of pilgrim trails passing through and near the village of Taize (near Cluny):

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.