• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Low budget pilgrim on a one way ticket to Paris

gypsy9

Hello good pilgrims!

Oh, I am so looking forward to stepping upon the Pilgrim's Path mid/late September.
Yesterday, I booked a most reasonable fare (miralgo!) from San Fran to Paris.
yes, making this happen. I am using the next five months to save for this trip and to have some $$ for the other end (a return ticket or extra travel or working holiday)!

This will be my first "camino" and although I have searched this forum and found excellent info, I'd appreciate extra council on a few queries....

I have a one way ticket to Paris. Is it easy to get necessary visas?
(I have U.S/Australian passports).

Is insurance really necessary for El Camino? (I rarely have travel insurance)

What happens to your luggage? (apart from backpack)-
What are the options if one is ending in Santiago and is traveling solo on a pilgrim budget?
this is a basic question, I know!

Members suggest to go slow the first couple of days...
Where do you suggest to stop for the first day? the second day?
I have medium level fitness, am 43 yrs, and no time restrictions...
(I understand the first "leg" is 25km)

What basic backpack do you suggest?
(wish to travel light- no techno, no sleeping bag)

Have any pilgrims managed to find work in Santiago or other parts of Spain/Europe.
Do you suggest getting a working visa or...
which kind of visa will present the less hassle from "authorities".

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...
Greatly appreciated....
:mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First, welcome to the forums! If you spend some time looking around, you will find many of your questions answered. Here are a few of my answers, but as you may notice around here, everyone has differing opinions! :) It's all a part of the fun!

Depending on which passport you are traveling on will determine how long you can stay. If you are traveling on your US passport, I believe you have 90 days in the Schengen countries.

Your choice. If you are not an EU citizen, you will have to pay for health care received.

What are the options if one is ending in Santiago and is traveling solo on a pilgrim budget?

How much are you planning to bring? If you just have your Camino gear, then you will carry it in your backpack. If you need more for further travels (I did, as well), then I would suggest having someone transport that luggage to Pamplona and shipping it ahead to Santiago. It is really expensive to ship from France to Spain, but very cheap within Spain.

If you are hesitant about your walking ability, then spend the first night in Orisson, second night in Roncesvalles. That will break up the long first day into two manageable days.

You will need a sleeping bag in September. I am a huge fan of the Osprey backpacks. Specifically the Aura (the Atmos for men) and the Talon series. Look on Craigslist. You might be able to get one for cheaper there than REI.

Have any pilgrims managed to find work in Santiago or other parts of Spain/Europe.
Try WWOOF, HelpXchange and Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum. Use google to get the links. The first two are ways you can work your way around the world, the third is a great resource for the types of questions you are asking about work. There are plenty of options, especially if you have an Aussie passport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Gypsey9 to the Forum and the Class of 2011!

Renegadepilgrim has provided excellent and succinct responses to your questions.

May I suggest you continue with your research...use the Pilgrim FAQ, Calendar and SEARCH box to get additional info.

As far as work goes once you finish...open yourself to opportunity. You will meet many folks along the way...some from Spain, or other EU countries. Talk up your skills in casual conversation...you never know whom may be listening.

In fact, I think I'll start a new Topic

Buen Camino

Arn

Getting work may be a problem. Australia and the U.S. are not part of the Schengen Convention, so you are limited to a stay of 90 days out of 180. Having two passports is no problem, but traveling with two is not wise. Pick one for the entry and exit stamps. Otherwise you could end up on a list you do not want to be on. Unemployment is 20% in Spain. Available casual labor fills the bus depots to the irritation of the Spaniards. Working without a work visa could be risky. There is work for English teachers, and the school will help with the visa. In general you would need something like a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) to qualify. Volunteering opportunities exist at many albergues, but they often require some training. Rebekah can provide good information on that.

Howdy Pilgrim!
Here are my answers to your questions:

You do not need a visa if you have a passport

There are many opinions about this. I did not have travel insurance and didn't miss it. I will never get travel insurance.

What other luggage do you need? None! Just a backpack!

I'm not sure what options you are asking about?

I highly recommend people break up the first day from SJPP to Roncevalles into TWO days - either Hunnto or Orisson - It's amazing what a difference those few kilometers will make! The second day, finish up in Roncevalles and the worst is behind you!

I have medium level fitness, am 43 yrs, and no time restrictions...
(I understand the first "leg" is 25km)
The "stages" are not set in stone. They're just something another human made up. So walk your OWN stages. Walk as long as you're comfortable, then rest. Try to increase your distance each day a little. There is no law that says you must walk any particular distance daily. There are plenty of stops along the way and it's ok to nab a taxi or bus. It's your Camino, walk it your way. Better to be careful than to be forced to quit because you've injured yourself trying to meet someone else's standards. Don't rush for a bed. Believe that the Camino will provide. You will hear this over and over because it is true.

I have an Arcteryx backpack. Joe took an Atmos. Find one that is lightweight, with good shoulder straps and a hefty belt pad. Fill it with 10% of your body weight and walk around with it. If you feel any rubbing or discomfort, dump it - those things will only get worse while walking. Do not buy one online; you need to try it on with weight in it.

I have heard of people finding temp work during harvest, and a person who sold art along the way. that's about all I've heard.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this...
Greatly appreciated....
You're welcome!
Buen Camino!

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Arcteryx backpack.jpg
    Arcteryx backpack.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,061
  • Atmos backpack.jpg
    Atmos backpack.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,063
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anniesantiago said:
You do not need a visa if you have a passport

To be precise, you do need a visa if you plan on staying longer than 90 days or work for pay.

It's a PITA to get one, believe me.

Jean-Marc

Please double check the visa requirements with your local Spanish / French consulate. You might have to prove that you have an onward / return ticket or else you could be refused boarding when you check in for your flight at San Francisco.

I don't know the precise regulations for Americans / Australians visiting Europe, but I know how it works for Europeans visiting America / Australia. No onward ticket = no outbound flight.

Jean-Marc, do you have info on the VISA issue? Sounds like you have some experience?
Mermaid Lillian, Melinda, and I would like to walk from Rome to Santiago and wanted to plan it for 6 months, but we're having difficulty getting around the 90 day rule.

Any advice or help you can give?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks again for the welcome and pointers, peregrini

Yes, worth checking with the Spanish/French consulates WhalleyRanger about a one way ticket...imagine being refused at the SF airport!?
And yes, I do plan to enter with only one passport (U.S)
Just not sure where I shall be springing to next as fares are super pricey (and most likely will remain so). I may have to buy a ticket of return from Spain.

Truly any advice would be appreciated (will attempt to get thru to Consulates too-despite intimidating "wait" times).
So I take it there are no (non European) pilgrims out there who have bought a one way ticket?

Really loved the advice to "believe the Camino will provide".
This, in essence, sums up the desire, the calling...for me to make this walk.
To trust in a living, organic, forever unfolding path! To find magic in each moment of each day...each experience...each encounter! (even those painful swollen feet)
and to have this become "the way" of seeing the great mystery that is Life.
Gracias!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Here's a map of the Schengen Countries: http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries

Notice that the UK is NOT a part of that. I would recommend before you leave the US, purchase a ticket from SDC or somewhere else in Spain to the UK on one of the budget airlines. It will be proof that you have an onward ticket if asked. Make it a cheap ticket so if you decide to stick around until your 90 days is up, then you can and not feel bad about "eating" the ticket. You are fortunate to live in San Francisco. There is a Spanish Consulate there.

Spain Consulate , United States
1405 Sutter St
Email: conspsfo@mail.mae.es
Website URL: http://www.maec.es/Consulados/sanfrancisco/es/Home/

Remember, Google is your friend. The above information was found using simple searches. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whalleyranger said:
Please double check the visa requirements with your local Spanish / French consulate. You might have to prove that you have an onward / return ticket or else you could be refused boarding when you check in for your flight at San Francisco.

I don't know the precise regulations for Americans / Australians visiting Europe, but I know how it works for Europeans visiting America / Australia. No onward ticket = no outbound flight.

WR is absolutely right to warn about a oneway ticket - you MUST check it out. I have no personal knowledge of this for entering the EU but I do know that the US is quite hysterical about such tickets.

falcon269 said:
the US is quite hysterical about such tickets
Not hysterical, but quite adamant.
And for good reason.....New Zealand is the same way too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Whether you enter the Schengen Zone with either an Australian or US passport, the situation is the same. You do not need a visa, but you are limited to staying in the entire Schengen Zone (all of Western Europe) for a total of 90 days.

Unfortunately, a working holiday is out of the question. As a non-EU citizen, you are not allowed to work in Europe. So there is no way you can work once you reach Santiago. Unemployment in Spain is very high at the moment, around 20% I believe, and no employer is going to risk employing an illegal worker when there are so many Spanish people willing to work for low wages. There is no way to get a work visa before entering Europe, work visas will only be granted if you've managed to get a job offer before leaving home.

One way air fares are incredibly expensive. It really would be worth your while getting a return airfare in the first place.

Travel insurance is a must. While pilgrims can find free treatment for sprains, blisters and minor things, if anything else happens eg broken leg, involved in traffic accident, illness, etc you will find the cost of medical, and possibly hospital, treatment can cost quite a lot. And if you need to be returned back home as a patient, well that cost is hard to imagine. Getting travel insurance is peace of mind.

Get properly fitted for a backpack. It needs to fit your back comfortably and what is right for one person might be really uncomfortable for you.

Not really sure what you mean by this question. Some people go on to Fisterra, some walk back to Roncesvalles or their starting point, but most just return home after a couple of days in Santiago, or spend a little time travelling around Spain or Europe.

Trudy

Have you considered an "open return" air ticket? You pay the round-trip fare, you choose your inbound flight specifics, but your outbound flight is not selected. (I'm not sure this arrangement is still available)

The other alternative would be to get your outbound flight on Day 89 of your Schengen stay ... maybe a local travel agent can advise you on your applicable options and details.

Many Thanks again for your replies
Yes, I am thinking to book a one way ticket e.g/ Spain (Madrid) to London is a good idea.
Either by train or air
Actually, I got an excellent deal on my one way ticket.
A return was well over double (and then more) the price of a one way ticket to Paris!
Air-Flights are like the "mysterious" rise and fall of the stock market....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree that travel insurance is a must. You may want to look into a membership with Hostelling International - the $28 ($18 if you are age 55 or older) annual membership includes a basic travel insurance policy. You can find details on the US website: http://www.hihostels.com/web/membership.en.htm

Another option is Seven Corners, which offers competitive prices on various kinds of policies. You can get one that focuses just on the medical aspect of insurance, or varying degrees of all-inclusive to include things like trip cancellation and repatriation of remains.

I'm curious - what airline are you flying one-way on? I also am in the SF area and would love to explore that delicious option!

Nancy

Hello Nancy- fellow San Franciscan...
I am flying (one-way) on American Airlines
(AA to Dallas, Tx and then AA from Dallas to Paris de Gualle).
This ticket is for September and was definitely a good deal- and so... I am thinking of simply purchasing an airline ticket from Spain to London (and then buy another ticket when in London back to the States). That is the plan for "now" anyway

Thank you so much for the travel insurance tips. I shall follow your advice, as one never knows when "aid" may come in handy
Buen dios!!

I just booked a flt w/ Expedia with multiple destinations: Miami to Paris, then Santiago de Compostela to Miami. Each flight one-way, and waaaay cheaper than the alternatives. You just have to know your dates. Bought travel ins., and if I need to change dates, I pay a $250 fee. Can't beat it--hope it's what I think it is!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Toobizy said:
I just booked a flt w/ Expedia with multiple destinations: Miami to Paris, then Santiago de Compostela to Miami. Each flight one-way, and waaaay cheaper than the alternatives. You just have to know your dates. Bought travel ins., and if I need to change dates, I pay a $250 fee. Can't beat it--hope it's what I think it is!

When are you going to walk "el camino" ?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back