• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Low vision walking

LisaMacfarlane

Time of past OR future Camino
(Fall 2017)
Am I crazy to talk a dear low vision friend into doing the CF with me this fall? I am 60, she is 55. She just has a few years of partial sight left. She would wear a "blind" vest, bring a cane, trekking poles for the easy stretches and me. It is my sense that the path doesn't have lots of road hazards (roots, big rocks), but I am not sure how many hours of day light we will have in October, and I would love advice on accessibility issues. Thanks in advance. Lisa in Seattle

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2010 I met a man walking with a guide dog at Villar de Mazarife. He was surviving, but was finding it difficult because very few people seemed prepared to walk with him and his dog. Your friend would not face the same problems if you were walking with her. It won't necessarily be always easy, and there may be some more arduous sections where you might need to plan an alternative. At least start the discussion with your friend. Whether you should talk her into it is another matter.

Am I crazy to talk a dear low vision friend into doing the CF with me this fall? I am 60, she is 55. She just has a few years of partial sight left. She would wear a "blind" vest, bring a cane, trekking poles for the easy stretches and me. It is my sense that the path doesn't have lots of road hazards (roots, big rocks), but I am not sure how many hours of day light we will have in October, and I would love advice on accessibility issues. Thanks in advance. Lisa in Seattle
Hi, Lisa,

I have a blind female friend that does skiing, mountaineering, kayaking etc. You'll have no major problems on CF. On some parts there are some loose rocks, just go easy on that parts. Otherwise plenty of "sendas", wide AG tracks or other light gravel tracks. You would really have to be quite drunk to stumble on them.

Wish you and your friend a very nice Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Um, that's a tough one. Some of the route is on loose rock going downhill, uphill, and flat. Navigating those paths is sometimes dicey without visions problems. Aldo, between problems areas getting help: taxi, bus can be a bit down the road. Read guidebooks through and through to ascertain which bits seem doable and others a challenge. Remember, anything can be done with careful planning. Buen camino.

I think walking on the road would be a much better bet than walking through fields and forests. And all those rocky muddy downhills. The problem is that the Frances doesn't have 20km of easy terrain and then 20km of terrible terrain, but a mix of all sorts of terrain every day, or just about. This is why saying that she would do "the easy" parts os not so easy to plan.

Places to avoid: down the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles theough the forest, down to Zubirri, from the Alto del Perdon, down into Molinaseca, any field where one walks in tractor tracks.

There actually is a 1km stretch that was paved for people with low or no vision, wtih wooden planks along the edges for the white cane to hit.

I agree with Anemone del Camino. Going down from Roncesvalles to Zubiri is very rocky and an Australian guy we met fell down and he had good vision. On the bright side, we also walked with a German guy, who may have been legally blind as we would hold his hands or he would hang on to us when we leave in the dark. Once the sun is out, he can manage on his own. Somehow he managed to finish the Camino Frances. He was traveling on his own and always managed to find someone to help him out when needed. And yes, the Camino Frances has lots of areas that are rocky and not even. Bon camino and be safe!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In 2015 I met a fully blind woman and she was walking the Camino with here husband .
He walked in front with a pole in between him and here and a lot off talking by the husband how she had to walk .
They walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 48 day's .
You see it can be done but it was not easy.

Wish you well,Peter.

Come on @nycwalking , @Anemone del Camino & @Helix Gal - the person we're talking about wouldn't be walking solo. Read the OP:
- "... the CF with me this fall...",
- "...easy stretches and me..."
- "... many hours of day light we will have ..."

So it's a simple question once you read OP ;)
Oh, I read, but still ... cannot imagine having to guess where to put my feet in tractor tracks based on a description of the terrain by another person. "A little to the left, oops, no, the other left". It would require a lot a pre-Camino work together to make sure they give and hear commands the same way.

Oh, I read, but still ... cannot imagine having to guess where to put my feet in tractor tracks based on a description of the terrain by another person. "A little to the left, oops, no, the other left". It would require a lot a pre-Camino work together to make sure they give and hear commands the same way.
You're not blind, Anemone!

You're not blind, Anemone!
And I'm thankful for that, but surely wven those who are need good information to navigate difficult terrain. Sure on the bits of compact gravel and on the roads it coild be relatively easy, but elsewhere?

The OP doesn't give the impression she knows the terrain, nor does she say how used she is at helping her friend navigate. All I said is that there is no such thing as "walking the easy stretches" and then getting off them, to get back on them later, and that yes, there are "roots and large stones" n a good portion of the Frances. I despise walking on those crooked tracks, from tractors, cyclists, walkers or just the rain: I think I notice every meter of them.

Ugh, just remember the hike up towards Rabanal on the slate. Before venturing off to do this I would recommend giving it a try at home on iffy rural terrain, not just around the block or in a park.

I too read. Unfortunately, these past three years, I've become too familiar with illnesses mine and others. After botched cataract surgery 9/26/16, my mom became a low vision person. Granted she's only 6 months on and quite old, but I can not imagine navigating Alto del Perdon, with low vision, even with a buddy. However, as I stated anything is possible if they do their homework.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a in Spain a Federación Española de Deporte para Ciegos (Spanish Federation of Sports for the Blind) that favors walking with a guide and using a "barra direccional" (uhm...directional pole?) complemented with oral orientation. It even organizes a yearly athletic 18 km mountain contest (starts in the video at 0:45) for blind and legally blind people. It is quite suprising -and very moving.
Sorry, it is in Spanish, but it is quite clear. I have not seen a similar method in other languages. Seems to require some practice.
Ah, the "blind vest" will be uselesss in Spain...
Good luck!

We met a group near Ferreiros a few days ago: two men who had very low vision and had guide dogs, plus what seemed like a support crew of about four other men who were hiking with them. The support crew were very vocal/communicative about what was coming up and they were all moving along at quite a fast pace.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Being a caregiver can be taxing. Just be patient and take your time!

I am scheduled to have surgery on my right arm tomorrow. I broke it about 2 1/2 weeks ago about 4k from Portomarin. I was heading downhill in a rapid pace without my trekking poles, tripped, tucked and rolled, and popped back up with a broken arm. I was having a great time, looking around and not watching the trail (some loose gravel). I know what I should have been doing, but I was just lost in the moment. It wasn't about the terrain ... accidents happen. Several pilgrims stopped to help, but my son splinted my arm and we caught a taxi to the hospital in Lugo. Anyway, I had a great 3 weeks in and around the Camino, Santiago, and Cambados with my family. I have a story from my first Camino attempt that is already morphing into something just not sure what yet. The Camino is testing my ability to accept things beyond my control. I have a renewed sense of appreciation for the support of my family and friends. If everything turns out OK, I will return in the Fall.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If your friend is willing to go on a beach walk on the coast. A walk down the hill at Deception Pass to the beach and back up through the woods, that would be approximately the equivalent of the rougher of the Camino trails. There are ways to do it absolutely! But does she want to expend the energy on this endeavor or spend her time looking at other vistas?

There are resources to help and people to ask for advice - but here is an article I just found.
http://www.perkins.org/stories/8-tips-for-hiking-while-blind

€46,-
Quote from HeidiL: If this is something she wants to do, it is definitely doable. Perhaps there are stretches you both will choose to skip - and that will be perfectly fine. I believe walking the Camino may give her a memory for life.

I do not know how to use the quote function.

HeidiL's comment made me think of a conversation I had recently with two special pilgrims. One asked the other if you could do a pilgrimage by bus. The other replied, yes, if your heart is in the right place.

So Lisa and friend, Buen Camino!

Hours of sunrise and sunset can be found on many sites. It won't take into account mountain shadows, but it will give you a sense of how many hours you have : http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/spain/santiago-de-compostela/2017/october

Are you crazy, as in irrational? No, absolutely not. You have a dear friend, and presumably you know this person well enough to know the two of you will want to spend many demanding hours together; that this is an experience that she would want to have and that you want to share with her. There are many different creative adaptations that are appropriate for many different people with different abilities, so in general it sounds very achievable. Your friend is probably the best judge of what she can do, what she could do if necessary, and what she cannot do.

You may need a back up plan if you need some time apart while walking. I suspect the interpersonal aspect could be the more demanding piece! You would both need to be aware of each other's limits. Who knows - She might be the faster walker or have better lung capacity for climbing. You might be more comfortable going up hill, while she is more comfortable going down. All the usual walking compatibility issues, but possibly without the luxury of saying - "you go on ahead, I'll catch up later".

Or maybe you can create some safeguards so you each can say that! I'd be worried about creating a situation where one person resents the other, so some open and frank conversations before you leave would be appropriate (just like anyone walking with friends or family).

The advice about practice is good. If you and she are considering this, even if just in jest, try to go for a walk with each other every weekend and try out different types of terrain. If there is any place or situation that creates an issue for you (e.g. what works on pavement doesn't work in mud or what works for a narrow winding path isn't necessary for a wide gravel path), you can sort out a variety of strategies.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your friend is partially sighted, not made of glass - she might fall over. We all fall over. I walked with a lovely lady last month who fell over twice taking selfies.

@Felipe wonderful video! The blind person is in the middle of two sighted ones on the pole, yes?

Last edited:
down the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles theough the forest, down to Zubirri, from the Alto del Perdon, down into Molinaseca... the hike up towards Rabanal on the slate

Ok how about this for a plan. Make a list of difficult stretches with help from the forum, and work out where they are. Get a pole and practice at home with one and two helpers.

On the camino, use the pole with just the two of you where it is easy. Find a second helper for each of the difficult stretches. This would probably be possible on the spot, or you could even try to get the helpers organised in advance by putting out an appeal on here. There are also disability groups in major cities in Spain who would help.

On the Camino Frances last September, there was a large group of blind walkers with guides and guide dogs. O.N.C.E. (mentioned earlier in this thread). I saw them in walk through Cacabelos and in a restaurant in Tricastela. There were about 25 people in the group. They were singing and slapping the table and having a wonderful time.
I say to walk the Camino and enjoy.

I also met a couple from Canada. The husband was blind. He told me that he and his wife walked wrist to wrist. He would hold on to her walking pole as she guided him up or downhill.
What a wonderfully positive pair these two lovely people were. It was uplifting to know them.

... cannot imagine having to guess where to put my feet in tractor tracks based on a description of the terrain by another person.
If they have done things together very much, the helper has probably learned how best to describe things for the friend, and the blind person has experience in receiving those descriptions. If they have never walked a trail together, the first few kilometers of a new type of terrain might take a little getting used to.

Outside of Logroño, I saw a billboard titled "A Camino for All" that talked a lot about accessibility, and had a section of Braille in the corner. I didn't read it, but it was big enough to say most of what was in print. A little further on was a hill that a wheelchair could not go up unless the rider and/or pusher has strong arms!

@Felipe wonderful video! The blind person is in the middle of two sighted ones on the pole, yes?[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's it. The person in front choose directions and give instructions, the people in behind (who can be a person with partial vision) is described as the "helmsman", that its, s/he gives minor adjustments to the direction pole.
I was very impressed, because they run on sections that, even walking and with full (well, more or less) vision, will give me pause.
There are other videos about two person teams. See below (in Spanish, with subtitles).
The former video comments that Spaniards are pioneers of this technique. Seems to work.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2013 I met two blind people. One had the usual dog and a sighted companion. The other man had a sighted companion who led him across the mud from San bol to Hontanas. She walked in front and he behind with one hand on her shoulder. I struggled along beside them in thick deep mud until we reached the road out of Hontanas. The whole group went of lickety split leaving me well behind eating their dust. So no, you are not crazy. It can be done and has been by many pilgrims severely disabled. I met a man very disabled in a wheelchair in Pamplona, heard he made it to Burgos at least. Met a man pushing two little children in a twin buggy, eldest 4, and they were doing really well. Yes there are very rough parts to the trail but if the folk I met can make it then it is doable. Daylight in October starts about 8 to 8:30 as the month goes on, nightfall should not be a problem as you should be tucked up in bed before it gets dark. Accessibility should not be a problem as long as you can guide her up stairs, get a bed with a direct line to the toilets with nothing to trip over. You will both be fine, I am sure of it

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.