• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

@LTfit and her albergue in Villares de Órbigo

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know @LTfit has posted about her decision to “live the dream” and buy an albergue — well, she is now installed and it is up and running. Take a look at her webpage. The albergue is in Villares de Órbigo, about 16 kms before Astorga. The website has some really lovely pictures and descriptions of the facility, as well as Lee’s story.

I never would have gotten to know Lee if it hadn’t been for this forum. Years ago, we met in Montserrat to walk the Camino Catalán together, having corresponded via this forum for a few months. Even then, Lee was thinking seriously about how she could merge her “real world” with her “camino world.” I am so happy for her that she has managed to do that. As many of you know, she has years of experience as as volunteer hospitalera and is a pretty hard core peregrina — who else walks three caminos a year?

Well, just to lift a virtual glass to Lee in the hopes (and expectation) that her albergue is a huge success. I am so very much hoping to visit this summer, and I look forward to hearing from lots of forum members who make the stop.

Woo hoo! Congratulations Lee!

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations @LTfit !

I stayed there last year with Christine, the former owner. It is a charming albergue, and perfectly located between Leon and Astorga. The way out of Leon is much hated, going parralell to a trafficed road. But there is an alternative: after La Virgen del Camino, take left (well marked) and continue to Villar de Mazarife. Good village. Then next day, walk to Villares de Orbigo. Nexct day you will arrive in Astorga. This "alternative" route is easy and quiet, compared to all the traffic and noise on the "common" stretch.

I will definitely stay there again!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed there one November night when Christine had it. It was a nice spot and a nice village. Christine offered me a choice of a bed in my own unheated dorm or a bed in the multi-person heated dorm. Me and my down quilt spend a peaceful night.

Good luck @LTfit !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Christine told me she was selling, but I had no idea that it was you, Lee, who was buying. Lots and lots of luck, and I wish you all the best. I took my group there in 2017, as I liked it so much the first time, and Christine told me last year, in Feb 2019, that my group is the only group that has ever stayed there. Might be worth advertising a bit more . . . . ? It has always been soooooooo quiet, tooooooooooo quiet, when I have stayed there. Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is my favorite albergue! It was my first time when the owners were Pablo and Belen, secondly to Christine, and this May I will be happy to visit new owner (is planned). Alberge is really exceptional

Congrats and based on all of the above praises looks like I might alter my plans for this region 😁🙏
To be honest; I have hated the walk from Leon to Astorga ever since my first walk along that horrible road, but as from last year, when I walked the alternative route via Villar de Mazarife, it has become a pleasant and easy route to Astorga. And a stop in Villares de Orbigo is perfect: Only ca. 16 kms to Astorga next day, giving you a good day there, which is highly recommendable: Not only is it the chocolate capital (!) of Spain, but there is also a pilgrim museum there, close to the cathedral. Well worth it to have a relatively short walk from Villares, and then enjoy Astorga!

Edit: The alternative route is easy and will give you 3 nice, relaxed days Leon-Astorga.
Leon-Astorga map.png

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take a look at her webpage.

Is Bea for real?

She's gorgeous!

Bea
albergue mascot
Bea is a Australian Labradoodle pup. Labradoodles are known to be extremely loyal, intelligent and playful. Due to these qualities, as well as their “hypoallergenic” fur which does not shed, many are used as guide dogs for people with allergies. Bea has proven to be a wonderful walking companion and friend. She is full of energy and just loves attention!
thumbnail (7).jpg

Bea’s first visit to Albergue Villares de Órbigo, October 2019

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had planned to walk the Francés later this year, but now it looks like we'll be doing LePuy. But who knows? Plans do change. If we pass your way, we'll be sure to stop. Meanwhile, wishing you every success.

@alexwalker
My initial thought was to do León - San Martín del Camino (25.5 km) and San Martín del Camino - Astorga (24.7 km). Somewhat mid-point and keeping it to a realtively average distance (if you will) be it that it will be my 1st Camino (although, who knows I might be one of those long distance walkers by then ;))
Was not planning to stop at Astorga (way-back-when last year I did post a question of possible stop after Leon to 'play tourist'. a lot of suggestions for Astorga; you suggested Ponferrada - which was my plan) .... up-unitl couple of days ago when for whatever reason I started looking up Astorga (possibly Gaudi Cathedral?) and got totally blown away by possibilities.
So now - THIS!
Decisions, decisions....:rolleyes:

@alexwalker
My initial thought was to do León - San Martín del Camino (25.5 km) and San Martín del Camino - Astorga (24.7 km). Somewhat mid-point and keeping it to a realtively average distance (if you will) be it that it will be my 1st Camino (although, who knows I might be one of those long distance walkers by then ;))
Was not planning to stop at Astorga (way-back-when last year I did post a question of possible stop after Leon to 'play tourist'. a lot of suggestions for Astorga; you suggested Ponferrada - which was my plan) .... up-unitl couple of days ago when for whatever reason I started looking up Astorga (possibly Gaudi Cathedral?) and got totally blown away by possibilities.
So now - THIS!
Decisions, decisions....:rolleyes:
:) Choices, choices...

Yes Astorga is a great place, and so is Ponferrada. Actually, you can stop in Astorga, then next day in Rabanal del Camino, and next day Ponferrada, passing the Iron Cross.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LOL
That would be 3 days in a row to be a tourist.
Don't have that 'luxury' 😁
(That's what I meant when I said 'stop'. Basically looking for a full day of playing, not merely an overnight usual stop)
Perhaps I will get lucky and proficient enough that I will be able to shift my timeline and work it all out 👍

Thank all of you for your heartfelt comments and especially to Laurie (@peregrina2000) for the thread. 😍

Albergue Villares de Órbigo was first opened in July 2010 by Pablo and Belén - the same year as my first Camino! In 2010 I also joined this wonderful Forum and as a result have personally met many if you (and I hope to meet more!). I plan on giving a 10th year anniversary party for the pueblo and pilgrims sometime in July to mark the occasion. I'll be sure to let you all know. Who knows, maybe I will do so on my birthday July 13th.

It certainly will be an unusual year, for many reasons. We will just have to go with the flow!

Blessings to you all and ultreia!

To be honest; I have hated the walk from Leon to Astorga ever since my first walk along that horrible road, but as from last year, when I walked the alternative route via Villar de Mazarife, it has become a pleasant and easy route to Astorga. And a stop in Villares de Orbigo is perfect: Only ca. 16 kms to Astorga next day, giving you a good day there, which is highly recommendable: Not only is it the chocolate capital (!) of Spain, but there is also a pilgrim museum there, close to the cathedral. Well worth it to have a relatively short walk from Villares, and then enjoy Astorga!

Edit: The alternative route is easy and will give you 3 nice, relaxed days Leon-Astorga.
View attachment 70570

I walked the alternative “counterflow” from Astorga to Leon connecting the VdlP with the San Salvador and found this a very pleasant walk. Not having walked the CF I cannot compare it with the official route.

I will be near Leon around the 20th of July. Will definitely try to stop in Villares de Orbigo and meet one of the forum members! I was hesitant at first, knowing the albergue was being sold. Now I look forward to it!

I know @LTfit has posted about her decision to “live the dream” and buy an albergue — well, she is now installed and it is up and running. Take a look at her webpage. The albergue is in Villares de Órbigo, about 16 kms before Astorga. The website has some really lovely pictures and descriptions of the facility, as well as Lee’s story.

I never would have gotten to know Lee if it hadn’t been for this forum. Years ago, we met in Montserrat to walk the Camino Catalán together, having corresponded via this forum for a few months. Even then, Lee was thinking seriously about how she could merge her “real world” with her “camino world.” I am so happy for her that she has managed to do that. As many of you know, she has years of experience as as volunteer hospitalera and is a pretty hard core peregrina — who else walks three caminos a year?

Well, just to lift a virtual glass to Lee in the hopes (and expectation) that her albergue is a huge success. I am so very much hoping to visit this summer, and I look forward to hearing from lots of forum members who make the stop.

Woo hoo! Congratulations Lee!

Buen camino, Laurie
What wonderful news!!!!! Always a wealth of info,I'm certain her albergue will be a treasured place!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congrats! I have no idea when I'll be back on the Camino but will be sure to check out your new spot. Best wishes for a wonderful new adventure!

All the very best to you both in your new home, Lee and Bea!!! ❤
I really look forward to walking through your door.
And who knows? If my time in Italy gets cancelled because of this virus, it may be sooner rather than later.

The Ditch Pigs hid out there last year. There'll be a few little piggies planning to sneak back and greet the new management.
Well, little piggies, watch out for Bea! Dogs do so love to chase piglets....
🤭

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All the very best to you both in your new home, Lee and Bea!!! ❤
I really look forward to walking through your door.
And who knows? If my time in Italy gets cancelled because of this virus, it may be sooner rather than later.

Well, little piggies, watch out for Bea! Dogs do so love to chase piglets....
🤭

I soooo hope to see you come through the door! Of course I do not hope that your plans in Italy fall through but...I want to have you safe and healthy (and to see you sooner than later ;) .

Un abrazo amiga

You can count on it, Lee, at least at some point. I'll let you know how plans unfold.......
Meanwhile, I rejoice in your and Bea's good fortune, and never mind that I'll miss seeing you in Leiden! Some things are just too wonderful, and having you there in your gorgeous albergue is one of them.
Abrazos fuerte, peregrina!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much Laurie for this terrific news and Lee, hearty congratulations and every best wish for happiness and success.
The albergue looks beautiful and I can feel the welcome flowing out from the photos on your webpage.
Villares de Orbigo is on one of the most beautiful stretches of the CF, IMO - pilgrims walk out of the village and walk up the slight rise, passing through a farm - it’s a lovely, warm experience to feed the cows with the abundance of straw available.
Buen Camino Lee and little Bea in your new life in this very special village.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I plan on giving a 10th year anniversary party for the pueblo and pilgrims sometime in July to mark the occasion. I'll be sure to let you all know.

I am watching this thread, so do please let us know, as I will be in the area in July 🍾😃

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a village I have never stayed in as I have always stopped off in Hospital de Orbigo to enjoy this lovely place with its huge portions of delicious food at restaurant Los Angeles at what I consider to be the end of the Meseta. However, I'd love to stay in Villares after reading this thread. Does anyone know if this albergue has private rooms as I am totally paranoid now about disturbing others with bathroom visits in the night (I am rather too portly and climbing down from a top bunk makes such a noise) and snoring after drinking wine and eating a big meal. I always take my sleeping bag at the start of the Frances, but leave it in the Roncesvalles box after 2 albergue stays at Orisson and Roncesvalles, where I eat a miniscule amount for dinner and stick to water, before I switch to private rooms for the rest of the Camino.

This is a village I have never stayed in as I have always stopped off in Hospital de Orbigo to enjoy this lovely place with its huge portions of delicious food at restaurant Los Angeles at what I consider to be the end of the Meseta. However, I'd love to stay in Villares after reading this thread. Does anyone know if this albergue has private rooms as I am totally paranoid now about disturbing others with bathroom visits in the night (I am rather too portly and climbing down from a top bunk makes such a noise) and snoring after drinking wine and eating a big meal. I always take my sleeping bag at the start of the Frances, but leave it in the Roncesvalles box after 2 albergue stays at Orisson and Roncesvalles, where I eat a miniscule amount for dinner and stick to water, before I switch to private rooms for the rest of the Camino.
Take a look at the website (linked in the original post) — there are private rooms with shared bath and with private bath.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perfect...thank you!
I opened the website page before, but it wouldn't load properly with pictures scrolling over the information and details, but I've just tried again and it loaded fine this time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just noticed that the webpage from the link in post #1 is down.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back