• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lucca to Rome, short stages

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I've been collecting notes on how to break up some of the longer stages in Tuscany and Lazio. Some I saw here, some on social media - my apologies for not keeping track of who suggested them. Since the shorter stages don't all have pilgrim accommodations, and so require more advance planning to reserve a bed in agriturismos or bed and breakfasts, I'm passing along what I've found. Hopefully it helps others!

The long stages are in bold; the midpoints are in italics.

1. Lucca - Altopascio (18.3 k)
  2. Altopascio - San Miniato (28.7)
    • Ponte a Cappiano / Fucecchio
  3. San Miniato - Gambassi Terme (24.0)
    • Castelfiorentino / Coiano
  4. Gambassi Terme - San Gimignano (13.6)
  5. San Gimignano - Monteriggioni (30.5)
    • Colle Val d'Elsa
  6. Monteriggioni - Siena (20.3)
  7. Siena - Ponte d'Arbia (25.4)
  8. Ponte d'Arbia - San Quirico d'Orcia (26.5)
  9. San Quirico - Radicofani (32.6k)
    • Gallina / Castigolione d'Orcia
  10. Radicofani - Acquapendente (23.0)
  11. Acquapendente - Bolsena (23.0 )
  12. Bolsena - Montefiascone (18.1)
  13. Montefiascone - Viterbo (18.0)
  14. Viterbo - Vetrella (16.6)
  15. Vetrella- Sutri (23.4)
  16. Sutri - Campagnano di Roma (24.2)
  17. Campagnano di Roma - La Storta (22.7)
  18. La Storta - Roma (19.2)
Notes
- The Ostello Ponte De'Medici at Ponte a Cappiano gets horrible reviews on the Italian websites. There appear to be nicer places a few km up the road in Fucecchio.

- There are some agriturismos between San Miniato and Gambassi Terme, but you have to bring in your own supplies to cook dinner. I haven't decided whether to break this stage up or not. It's a challenging stretch (per reports on Facebook), but breaking it up into two 12k days feels like overkill.

- San Quirico-Radicofani is the only stage that I will 100% be breaking up in two.

- There are other shorter stages I've seen mentioned that I don't plan to take, but that might interest others:
  • Siena to Monteroni d’Arbia (16k)
  • Monteroni d’Arbia to Buonconvento (14k)
  • Buonconvento to San Quirico (20.9)

• Radicofani to Ponte a Rigo (10.5km)
  • Ponte a Rigo to Proceno (15.5km)
  • Proceno to San Lorenzo Nuovo (17 km)
  • San Lorenzo Nuovo to Bolsena (12km)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been collecting notes on how to break up some of the longer stages in Tuscany and Lazio. Some I saw here, some on social media - my apologies for not keeping track of who suggested them. Since the shorter stages don't all have pilgrim accommodations, and so require more advance planning to reserve a bed in agriturismos or bed and breakfasts, I'm passing along what I've found. Hopefully it helps others!

• Colle Val d'Elsa
Notes
- The Ostello Ponte De'Medici at Ponte a Cappiano gets horrible reviews on the Italian websites. There appear to be nicer places a few km up the road in Fucecchio.

- There are some agriturismos between San Miniato and Gambassi Terme, but you have to bring in your own supplies to cook dinner. I haven't decided whether to break this stage up or not. It's a challenging stretch (per reports on Facebook), but breaking it up into two 12k days feels like overkill.

- San Quirico-Radicofani is the only stage that I will 100% be breaking up in two.

- There are other shorter stages I've seen mentioned that I don't plan to take, but that might interest others:

Thank you! I have been wanting to walk the Via Francigena but was concerned that many stages are so long.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @MichaelC,
You have definitely done your homework and I concur with everything you have written, including your options for a couple of shorter days. In hindsight, having recently walked the Via F., I would have stayed in Colle, and also if we had stayed in Gallina, possibly we could have avoided the taxi up to Radicofani.
Good job!

• Colle Val d'Elsa
Notes

If it's of help, the Lightfoot Guide (revised March 2022) give alternative routes for most stages, which reduce the distance. https://pilgrimagepublications.com/...nard-pass-to-saint-peters-square-8th-edition/

• Colle Val d'Elsa
Notes

I appreciate your suggestions to break up some of the longer legs on this beautiful route. Some are indeed long. I Just did it, from Lucca to rome in October this year. And want to add an option that is not often mentioned, as it goes a little off track perhaps? I broke the leg from San quirico to radicofani off in Bagni san Filippo. Stayed at a lovely b&b, and took great advantage of the hot Springs (both evening and morning). A lovely experience i would recommend !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I researched this a few years ago, just before covid. My plan was to go from San Miniato to Siena. I planned to shorten the first stage from San Miniato to Gambase Termi to about 19 km. There are very few options for shortening this stage. There are few services until you get close to Gambase. This stage, I recall, starts with walking 5 km on narrow, dangerous highway before the way heads off the highway into the countryside. My plan was to taxi to that point. Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip.

• Colle Val d'Elsa
Notes

Many thanks MichaelC. My BFF and I will be following your journey with great interest as we are planning to start from Lucca to Rome on 15 September 2023. Buon Cammino❣️

I broke the leg from San quirico to radicofani off in Bagni san Filippo. Stayed at a lovely b&b, and took great advantage of the hot Springs (both evening and morning). A lovely experience i would recommend !
I'll have to look into that - it sounds lovely! It looks like Bagni san Filippo is already part way up the big climb, yeah?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stayed at Gallina to break the stage after San Quirico.At La Vecchia Posta. We then went to Bagno San Fillipo and stayed the night at La Selvella, which is an Agriturismo. After that we stayed at Procena.
The stage between San Miniato and Gambassi Terme is fine. We stayed at Ostello Sigerico.

The stage between San Miniato and Gambassi Terme is fine. We stayed at Ostello Sigerico.
Thanks. I can’t remember why I wanted to break this stage up. I know there aren’t many water fountains here, or much shade … but I can prepare for that. And Ostello Sigerico is on my list

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

• Colle Val d'Elsa
Notes

As you walk, take note of flyers posted along the route that advertise lodging. I rented a complete apartment in a
Torrenieri for 20 euro. Very nice.

I walked by the bridge hostel in Ponte a Cappiano several times while living in Tuscany. My only experience with it, when I walked the Via in 2018, was negative. The Rolling Stones we’re playing in Lucca the weekend when I stayed there. Accommodations were next to impossible but I got a place to stay in Lucca (another story). I called the hostel in Ponte for a bed the night the Stones were playing. Hostel full. I assume all the bed were filled with concert attendees. I asked about putting up my tent in the park by the river. The hostel guy threatened me with a ticket-fine. Nice. I just walked from Lucca to San Miniato Alto that day.

We recently completed the VF and split San Quirico to Acquapendente into 4 stages
SQ to Castiglione 12kms
Cast. to Bagni San Filippo 18 kms incl a wonderful soak in the thermals
BSF to Ponte a Rigo 23 kms staying in a beaut working farm Agriturismo Cerretale. This also meant walking up the hill to Radicofani in the early morning and not last thing in the day.
PR to Acquapendente 20 kms via quieter and scenic Proceno variant avoiding the highway section with the bad reputation.

A most enjoyable four days

After adding up costs, and taking a realistic look at how much time I have, I guess I won't be doing so many short stages after all! I definitely plan on stopping in Colle Val d'Elsa and Gallina (and La vecchia posta just confirmed my reservation!), but I can only afford a couple splurges. The pilgrim ostelli are in the 20 to 35 euro range, and many include a communal dinner; the beds and breakfasts ran from 60 to 100 euro a night ... not including dinner!

I'll be a proper pilgrim, and walk the longer stages, and enjoy the company of my fellow pellegrini. I'll save the proper hotels for two-night stays in Lucca, Siena, and Viterbo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After adding up costs, and taking a realistic look at how much time I have, I guess I won't be doing so many short stages after all! I definitely plan on stopping in Colle Val d'Elsa and Gallina (and La vecchia posta just confirmed my reservation!), but I can only afford a couple splurges. The pilgrim ostelli are in the 20 to 35 euro range, and many include a communal dinner; the beds and breakfasts ran from 60 to 100 euro a night ... not including dinner!

I'll be a proper pilgrim, and walk the longer stages, and enjoy the company of my fellow pellegrini. I'll save the proper hotels for two-night stays in Lucca, Siena, and Viterbo.
You have chosen three wonderful towns to spend two-nights each. My regret was not staying overnight in Colle like you will be doing to break up that long stage. We walked from San Quirico d'Orcia to Gallina, but didn't stay overnight; instead chose a taxi from there to Radicofani to avoid the biggest climb of all.
You are making very good decisions and you will love the Via F. even with the few adjustments.

Thanks for your day by day planning info, very helpful. I have just completed my planning, however not to the detail you have gone too (hats off) while I am planning to walk from GSBP to Rome starting late May, if I can get to the pass at that time of year. Otherwise I will be starting from Aosta, just need to decide which airport to fly into from Australia. I do have a rough plan on how far I intend to walk and a rough plan of where to stay. I will let my feet and legs tell me, my over all plan is 43 days with no rest days (about 26-27Kms a day). I know I will have a rest day or two, but will no when and where the time is right, but its not set in stone. I will be seeking out Ostellos as best I can, if not, what ever I can can get as cheap as I can get. Having walk the Via de la Plata(VDLP) this year, I understand how important a plan is even if it is a rough plan. I only booked accommodation twice on the VDLP at the half way point in Salamanca and Santiago. But I did book that as I was walking so will be looking to do the same, looking a places to stay in Rome, that are close to the sights and are at a reasonable price. Buen Camino, stay safe

I will let my feet and legs tell me, my over all plan is 43 days with no rest days (about 26-27Kms a day). ... I understand how important a plan is even if it is a rough plan.
I think for a longer camino that's the only way!

In Rome I've mentally bookmarked Spedale della Provvidenza di San Giacomo e San Benedetto Labre in the Trastevere neighborhood. It's a donativo run by the Fraternidad de Santiago, has 40 beds, offers a communal dinner and breakfast, and is only for pilgrims. It sounds like the perfect place to end a camino. We can stay there up to two nights. It's across the river from the big sights, but it's an easy walk. It's also in my favorite neighborhood in Rome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think for a longer camino that's the only way!

In Rome I've mentally bookmarked Spedale della Provvidenza di San Giacomo e San Benedetto Labre in the Trastevere neighborhood. It's a donativo run by the Fraternidad de Santiago, has 40 beds, offers a communal dinner and breakfast, and is only for pilgrims. It sounds like the perfect place to end a camino. We can stay there up to two nights. It's across the river from the big sights, but it's an easy walk. It's also in my favorite neighborhood in Rome.
Thanks 🙏 will check it out.

As you walk, take note of flyers posted along the route that advertise lodging. I rented a complete apartment in a
Torrenieri for 20 euro. Very nice.

I walked by the bridge hostel in Ponte a Cappiano several times while living in Tuscany. My only experience with it, when I walked the Via in 2018, was negative. The Rolling Stones we’re playing in Lucca the weekend when I stayed there. Accommodations were next to impossible but I got a place to stay in Lucca (another story). I called the hostel in Ponte for a bed the night the Stones were playing. Hostel full. I assume all the bed were filled with concert attendees. I asked about putting up my tent in the park by the river. The hostel guy threatened me with a ticket-fine. Nice. I just walked from Lucca to San Miniato Alto that day.
Hi cbacino, can you remember the name of the apartment? We intend staying over in Torrenieri in September.
Thanks
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Follow up: It might be awhile before I have time to do a proper write up, but here is my quick take on the short stages I did last month on the VF. I would highly recommend one, gently recommend one, had mixed feelings about one, and one was a flat-out mistake! The bold items are the "official" stops.

Altopascio - Ponte a Cappiano - San Miniato
I'm glad I broke this one up; it made for a much gentler start to the walk. Another option would be to stop at Fucecchio, which seemed like a nice town.

San Gimignano - Colle Val d'Elsa - Monteriggioni
I definitely wanted to break up this 30km-plus day, but I did not enjoy the walk into or out of Colle Val d"Elsa at all (the pleasant river walk was closed due to flooding). Some guys I met stayed on the main route but broke up their day at Strove. I'd consider that if I walked again.

San Quirico - Gallina - Radicofani
Yes, absolutely, without hesitation, you should consider breaking up this very long stretch. Most people who did it in one go arrived late in Radicofani & promptly went to bed. It's still a challenge even doing it in two days. I arrived in Radicofani in time for a good lunch, had a long nap, and then had energy that afternoon to climb to the castle

Sutri
- Monterosi - Formello - La Storta
I had an extra day to play with, so I broke up Sutri to La Storta into three days instead of the normal two (Sutri - Campagnano di Roma - La Storta). Don't make this same mistake! Monterosi to Formello turned out to be a grueling 26.37 km day. I would've done better to follow the main stages.

Instead, with an extra day, I would have broken up Siena to San Quirico like a few others I met did:

Siena - Monteroni d’Arbia - Buonconvento - San Quirico
The benefit of this is you'd have more time in the stunning Crete Senesi region. Also, Buonoconvento looked charming. Finally, shorter days here means less time under Tuscan sun, which was surprisingly strong even by late morning.

Thanks, MichaelC, this is amazing! I'm planning to start sometime in September, and all of your suggestions have been incredibly helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back