• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lucca to Siena

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
Hello forum members,
I'm planning to walk the stages of the Via Francigena from Lucca to Siena. I would be grateful for any information on hostel/albergue accommodation along the way. What can I expect to pay? Is it necessary to book in advance? Are many bed spaces available? What's the infrastructure like? I've completed the entire Camino Frances a number of times and I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect on the Via Francigena compared to the Camino and to estimate daily costings for the trip.
Regards,
Ger.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am not at home so can't really help - no guide book and no notes at hand. Have a look here: http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/piedi/
It does give good information on accommodation etc...
From memory, most ostellos were about 10 euros. You need to phone them at least a day in advance (most, not all) so that they know someone is coming and they can tell you where and when to get the key etc.
You don't say when you're planning on walking. I think it makes a difference as to spaces available. I walked last year, July/August and it wasn't very crowded, but then it was very hot....

I am not at home so can't really help - no guide book and no notes at hand. Have a look here: http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/piedi/
It does give good information on accommodation etc...
From memory, most ostellos were about 10 euros. You need to phone them at least a day in advance (most, not all) so that they know someone is coming and they can tell you where and when to get the key etc.
You don't say when you're planning on walking. I think it makes a difference as to spaces available. I walked last year, July/August and it wasn't very crowded, but then it was very hot....
Does calling in advance for the ostellos work well if you do not speak Italian, especially if there are instructions on how to get the key?....or do you need to enlist the help of someone who is bilingual to call in the reservation for you?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does calling in advance for the ostellos work well if you do not speak Italian, especially if there are instructions on how to get the key?....or do you need to enlist the help of someone who is bilingual to call in the reservation for you?

I started the call by warning I only spoke very little Italian... It helped but yes, sometimes the explanations where complicated. I wrote it down and tried to decipher afterwards lol. I was never without a bed but yes I found it stressful at times ... I promised myself I would learn more Italian if I ever returned but... I haven't kept my word. What's more, I have forgotten the little I knew last year lol.

Most read last week in this forum

Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.