• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Lucky winter weather!

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning from SJPdP 2015-16 winter
My husband and I started today, and we feel very lucky. Lucky to have the opportunity to walk the Camino, and lucky to have amazing weather! Today from St Jean to Valcarlos had light rain/ heavy mist for parts of the walk (we didn't leave St Jean until 2pm, it started sprinkling around 2:30), but was warm enough for a short sleeved shirt while hiking (and long pants, and a jacket when we stopped for breaks). Tomorrow's forecast is warm and sunny! With only one other pilgrim at the albergue tonight, we are enjoying the "tranquilidad".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I share happy walker's experience on the camino trail right now. I have been in Spain since 27th November and the only rain I have experienced was on my day of arrival and an afternoon of light drizzle yesterday. There were a number of frosty mornings while part of the ditch-pig crew, but most of the time in both Palencia and on the Camino del Salvador it has felt like late-spring and early summer in the UK. Global warming or a case of the sun shining on the righteous?
Ultreia!
James ( sitting in the plaza outside Oviedo cathedral)image.jpg

I share happy walker's experience on the camino trail right now. I have been in Spain since 27th November and the only rain I have experienced was on my day of arrival and an afternoon of light drizzle yesterday. There were a number of frosty mornings while part of the ditch-pig crew, but most of the time in both Palencia and on the Camino del Salvador it has felt like late-spring and early summer in the UK. Global warming or a case of the sun shining on the righteous?
Ultreia!
James ( sitting in the plaza outside Oviedo cathedral)View attachment 22768
Beautiful picture! What stages did you walk on the Salvador, James? Heading out on the Primitivo next? Lucky lucky you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there.

I'm starting the Camino in a week, so if you want/can keep me posted about whatever you remind of. :) Thankssss

Buen Camino

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Blessed are the strained in groin, for they shall see beauty itself!

Me and Patrick will join the pilgrim throngs next week... Please please please continue sunny and mild, I promise to behave!
(As for Sheffield James, it's definitely a case of sunshine for righteousness...)
If the righteous get sunshine, who gets mist and a groin strain? :eek:
Perhaps those who can receive the 'higher teachings' get more challenged? :D
(Sorry, tyrrek...that sounds like a drag, especially when everyone else is bragging about beautiful sunny days!)

Perhaps those who can receive the 'higher teachings' get more challenged? :D
(Sorry, tyrrek...that sounds like a drag, especially when everyone else is bragging about beautiful sunny days!)
I'm not feeling too sorry for myself. I was just doing a few etapas after the Ditch Pig week, and not aiming for anywhere in particular. When it became clear that my leg needed rested, I went back to Madrid early, met an old friend, and watched Real win 8-0. So I got my gifts in different packages. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Beautiful weather continued - so much good weather that we were kind of happy to need to use our rain ponchos (otherwise they are just dead weight!). A bit of windy rain today on the Meseta...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Where did all of the great weather go? We had a really fun time up to Foncebadon and Cruz de Ferro- Snow and lots of wind! It actually was fun- and made those extra kgs of winter gear that I have been carrying seem worth the extra weight! Now a forecast of rain all week.... We're still having a great time. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where did all of the great weather go?

January, in Castile and Leon and in Galicia, has started windy and rainy but regarding the temperatures it's still (a little) hotter than usual. It's not as great for walking as it was December but it's not (yet) bad weather for January either. It's going to get colder next week but hopefully you'll have already passed O Cebreiro by that time so won't get the worse of it.

Where did all of the great weather go? We had a really fun time up to Foncebadon and Cruz de Ferro- Snow and lots of wind! It actually was fun- and made those extra kgs of winter gear that I have been carrying seem worth the extra weight! Now a forecast of rain all week.... We're still having a great time. :)

View attachment 23187 View attachment 23188 View attachment 23187View attachment 23188
Hi happy walkers
Wow. Impressive photos and very impressed at your ability to walk in those extreme conditions.
It must make the steps hard going and be a tremendous work out on the calves.
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.