• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage lost during transfer. Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorUnfast

Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2019, May 2023 upcoming
Hi,
Someone in my group didn’t receive their luggage transfer from Albergue Mirador de Pedrouzo to O KM Albergue in Santiago de Compostela.
The concierge in O Pedrouzo doesn’t know what happened and which company picked it up, but it was collected.

Does anyone have any ideas how to track this down?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Which company did you use? I would contact them directly. The transfer envelopes in reception will have their contact details.
Mine was once temporarily lost when someone reached into the van and ripped off/stole the envelope. I contacted them, and they delivered my bag. They'd been left with 3 bags minus envelopes.
If that doesn't work, check where you are staying that someone hasn't put them somewhere different.
I have heard of that happening.
I only use bag transport occasionally, and now photograph the envelope in case I need to follow up. If you use it all the time they tend to remember you, but sporadically probably not.

Last edited:
This is a little puzzling, because I have always assumed that a bag is going to be labelled with its destination, and would normally be delivered there unless there is some confusion where two places have similar names.

I am wondering what the best way to start such a search might be, but it seems you are going to need to be contacting either the many albergues where bags might have been delivered, or perhaps fewer transport companies to find out where they delivered bags on the day in question. If you take the latter approach, you might have fewer albergues or hotels to contact, but I expect that this is what you might have to do anyway. As @Anamiri has suggested, starting with the company you thought was going to pick up the bag would be a good approach.

It may be that companies don't record where deliveries are made, leaving it up to the drivers involved. This would involve the companies contacting the drivers, or letting you contact them, which might complicate things.

You might also find that a place that has an unclaimed bag will investigate that, and if there are sufficient contact details provided on the outside of the bag, attempt to contact you. This would, of course, be preferable to the alternative treatment for a large parcel that arrives and isn't claimed by a guest.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Which company did you use? I would contact them directly. The transfer envelopes in reception will have their contact details.
Mine was once temporarily lost when someone reached into the van and ripped off/stole the envelope. I contacted them, and they delivered my bag. They'd been left with 3 bags minus envelopes.
If that doesn't work, check where you are staying that someone hasn't put them somewhere different.
I have heard of that happening.
I only use bag transport occasionally, and now photograph the envelope in case I need to follow up. If you use it all the time they tend to remember you, but sporadically probably not.
Great advice on taking a photo.
We have contacted the company but they didn’t believe us, but said they’d look into it.

Ugh.

This is a little puzzling, because I have always assumed that a bag is going to be labelled with its destination, and would normally be delivered there unless there is some confusion where two places have similar names.

I am wondering what the best way to start such a search might be, but it seems you are going to need to be contacting either the many albergues where bags might have been delivered, or perhaps fewer transport companies to find out where they delivered bags on the day in question. If you take the latter approach, you might have fewer albergues or hotels to contact, but I expect that this is what you might have to do anyway. As @Anamiri has suggested, starting with the company you thought was going to pick up the bag would be a good approach.

It may be that companies don't record where deliveries are made, leaving it up to the drivers involved. This would involve the companies contacting the drivers, or letting you contact them, which might complicate things.

You might also find that a place that has an unclaimed bag will investigate that, and if there are sufficient contact details provided on the outside of the bag, attempt to contact you. This would, of course, be preferable to the alternative treatment for a large parcel that arrives and isn't claimed by a guest.
Doug,
We are going through exact what you and Anamiri suggested. Fingers crossed.
Thanks to you both.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This highlights the disconnect between the companies that transport luggage and the accommodation providers who have the luggage dumped on them.

There is no substantive contractual agreement or obligations between the two parties.

The accommodation providers nominate a place where luggage is picked up from and dropped off to, nothing more. They do not get, as far as I know, any recompense for dealing with dropped off luggage.

If a bag gets dropped off somewhere and for what ever reason no one picks it up then that bag will likely sit where it was dropped off until someone (whoever) picks it up.

This probably doesn't help the op but it may help them concentrate their efforts on the luggage transport company.

I am a little baffled by the comment regarding "doesn't know..... which company picked it up." Who made the arrangements for the transport and what tag was filled out to transport the bag? It had to be somebody in the group. It sounds like someone just assumed and maybe assumed a little too much that they were getting some kind of concierge service. Is this one of those packaged tour outfits?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
Someone in my group didn’t receive their luggage transfer from Albergue Mirador de Pedrouzo to O KM Albergue in Santiago de Compostela.
The concierge in O Pedrouzo doesn’t know what happened and which company picked it up, but it was collected.

Does anyone have any ideas how to track this down?
Check the municipal. Last week my friend put the town on the envelope, but forgot to put the name of the albergue. When the currier doesn’t know where to take a backpack, they drop off at the municipal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We found it!

TL: DR—my group member put the wrong hotel name, and the company did nothing wrong.

I couldn’t post sooner due to no WiFi.

The group member put the wrong hotel name on the ticket. Why? I don’t know. I will just assume she was too tired from the Camino.

We were able to narrow down which delivery company it was. They checked with their driver and found it.

We said we’d take a taxi to pick it up, but by the time we returned from our bus tour, they had already picked it up and delivered to our Albergue.

Thanks to all for your ideas and your concern.

Lessons learned:
1: take a photo of the tag
2: have another group member review the tag to ensure it is correctly addressed.

Thanks again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We found it!

TL: DR—my group member put the wrong hotel name, and the company did nothing wrong.

The group member put the wrong hotel name on the ticket. Why? I don’t know. I will just assume she was too tired from the Camino.

We were able to narrow down which delivery company it was. They checked with their driver and found it.

We said we’d take a taxi to pick it up, but by the time we returned from our bus tour, they had already picked it up and delivered to our Albergue.

Lessons learned:
2: have another group member review the tag to ensure it is correctly addressed.

Thanks again!
Bus tour says it all!

A few years back we arrived at our night's destination. The accommodation was a house which had 4 private rooms and no staff as such.
There was a pack in the hallway with a courier's tag and envelope with a date two days prior.
I phoned the pack transfer company who said a pilgrim had been complaining that his pack had gone adrift and they were trying to work out what had happened.
Turned out the pilgrim had filled in the envelope, put his euros inside and assumed his work was done. The slight detail of actually booking the transfer was lost in translation and the pack had sat exactly where it had been placed.
Full marks to the transfer company which promised to collect the next day and fast forward it several stops ahead.

We found it!

Lessons learned:

Thanks again!
Good advice

I’m planning on Air Tags.
There are a couple of forum threads on using Air Tags. In one I suggested using two per pack, one rather obvious and the other hidden, perhaps by being placed under a sewn on patch. If your pack is stolen with some good luck following your bad luck only the obvious tag would be tossed away. As a bonus you could have the obvious tag registered with the iPhone of a friend at home who wants to follow your journey.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back