• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage or backpack?

Beagar68

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2019
If I’m using the bags tranfer service... do I use regular luggage or a backpack? Ty

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It doesnt matter, they take either. I saw both types being collected.

For the one being collected, it does not matter. You will still need a daypack to carry essential items - medications, electronics, water, a change of socks, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While I saw plenty of bags being transferred to albergues, I personally didn't see any suitcases. If you are staying in albergues you might prefer to have a backpack.

For the one being collected, it does not matter. You will still need a daypack to carry essential items - medications, electronics, water, a change of socks, etc.
Yes this is true - you will still need to carry key items. You will want to carry with you items you could not replace on the Camino. Phone, charger, medication, passport. money, clothes for the day etc.

Last edited:
While I saw plenty of bags being transferred to albergues, I personally didn't see any suitcases. If you are staying in albergues you might prefer to have a backpack.

On our second night we meet two Australian girls, who were travelling around Europe and decided "on a whim" to walk the Camino". (in complete contrast to me, I planned and over thought my Camino for two years before actually doing it)

They had huge travel bags with them, had bought day packs in SJPDP, and were having their bags transported. Totally the wrong kind of gear, huge cosmetic cases, dress clothing. Maybe they bought more appropriate clothing on the way, and sent their bags ahead to Santiago, no idea what happened to them. I bet it cost more than 5 Euros to send those bags ahead with Jacotrans.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I used the Correos service on the Camino Frances last year to transport a large wheelie. We are going to use the same service this coming May.

Buen Camino.

Tom

We would like to send our big bags from Paris to Santiago as we will stay a further 6 weeks in Europe. Are we able to do that? Send it from Paris to Ivar? And can anyone give us advice as to how to go about it? Thank you so much for any response

I advise AGAINST sending anything from one EU country to another. The reason is simple, the EU postal system is still a system of pipes on a church organ. All parcels going from one country to another, even though in the Euro zone, are still treated as international shipments. This complicates the rules, adds time, and cost. It also builds in opportunities for things to go missing. I do speak from experience.

I have had experience sending boxes from both France and Portugal to Ivar and elsewhere in Spain. It takes at least twice as long and costs at least twice as much as sending the items from a Correos within Spain.

Surely, you can post something from France, Portugal, or elsewhere into Spain. But, why take the chance?

My considered advice is to carry the luggage as far as Saint Jean Pied de Port, if you are starting from there. Express Bourricot operates a first-rate transfer service from SJPdP to Santiago. Not cheap, but likely the best. Check it out at: https://www.expressbourricot.com/ I use this service every time I start from SJPdp.

If you are starting from another location, get your bag over the frontier into the first Spanish town with a Correos, and send it from there. In that case, you can either ship it to the Correos on Rua Franco in Santiago, Ivar, or possibly to a hotel where you have a reservation in Santiago.

Instructions on sending stuff to Ivar are here in the forum. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-mail-and-how-it-should-be-prepared.45715/

The main post office (Correos) will hold your item free for 15 days, after that, they charge a nominal daily amount. As regards sending to a reserved hotel, do ask in advance and obtain permission before sending anything to them to hold for your arrival.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because of issues with my back on the CF last September, I bought a small, carry-on size suitcase in Pamplona and had it shipped daily to the next albergue. I then carried my backpack which was very light containing only my supplies for the day. Worked like a charm and the transport service was a godsend for me!

If I’m using the bags tranfer service... do I use regular luggage or a backpack? Ty
We have a 'stowaway duffle' bag that we bought recently which would take my pack. I can recommend it although there are maybe other cheaper types around. The advantage of this one is that it folds down very small so could be put into your pack. As others have said you will need a pack of some sort for your day time things so could carry your pack, send the stowaway bag ahead - but put one in the other when appropriate

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Following up on t2a's comments. I walked with a backpack from SJPdP to Pamplona where I picked up a bike to ride to Santiago. I posted my backpack and boots at the Correos to Ivar, it took over 2 weeks to get to his office.

I advise AGAINST sending anything from one EU country to another. The reason is simple, the EU postal system is still a system of pipes on a church organ. All parcels going from one country to another, even though in the Euro zone, are still treated as international shipments. This complicates the rules, adds time, and cost. It also builds in opportunities for things to go missing. I do speak from experience.

I have had experience sending boxes from both France and Portugal to Ivar and elsewhere in Spain. It takes at least twice as long and costs at least twice as much as sending the items from a Correos within Spain.

Surely, you can post something from France, Portugal, or elsewhere into Spain. But, why take the chance?

My considered advice is to carry the luggage as far as Saint Jean Pied de Port, if you are starting from there. Express Bourricot operates a first-rate transfer service from SJPdP to Santiago. Not cheap, but likely the best. Check it out at: https://www.expressbourricot.com/ I use this service every time I start from SJPdp.

If you are starting from another location, get your bag over the frontier into the first Spanish town with a Correos, and send it from there. In that case, you can either ship it to the Correos on Rua Franco in Santiago, Ivar, or possibly to a hotel where you have a reservation in Santiago.

Instructions on sending stuff to Ivar are here in the forum. Have a look at this thread:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-mail-and-how-it-should-be-prepared.45715/

The main post office (Correos) will hold your item free for 15 days, after that, they charge a nominal daily amount. As regards sending to a reserved hotel, do ask in advance and obtain permission before sending anything to them to hold for your arrival.

Hope this helps.
After discussion with Ian we think we’ll take it to SJPP, send on to Roncesvalles then post it from there. To be sure to be sure. Thank you so much for your help

After discussion with Ian we think we’ll take it to SJPP, send on to Roncesvalles then post it from there. To be sure to be sure. Thank you so much for your help
A couple of years ago my husband and I took the train from Paris to Bayonne, then the small local train to Irun just across the France/Spain border. The post office there were incredible in assisting us (and other peregrinos) to send two 50 pounds cases on to Ivar. Cheapest method we found, very fast and Ivar was awesome at the other end. (no, before the questions begin, we were not traveling europe with these, but moving here to Portugal at the end of our Camino). I did not even check about correos in Roncesvalles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A couple of years ago my husband and I took the train from Paris to Bayonne, then the small local train to Irun just across the France/Spain border. The post office there were incredible in assisting us (and other peregrinos) to send two 50 pounds cases on to Ivar. Cheapest method we found, very fast and Ivar was awesome at the other end. (no, before the questions begin, we were not traveling europe with these, but moving here to Portugal at the end of our Camino). I did not even check about correos in Roncesvalles.

Just looked at the distance and time from Bayonne to Irun and back, then onto SJPP. Definitely looks doable. We are arriving in Paris on 30 April and have a booking in Orisson on 3 May so we have time. We’ll also send an email to Ivar as a courtesy and confirmation. Thanks very much for this option. One of our friends suggested we leave our bags at Paris airport, but that would then mean going back to Paris before we start our travel trip. We are going on to Croatia from Santiago because my son lives there. Having our bags in Santiago saves us a roundabout trip. Thank you

My husband just reminded me to tell you to ask for the "peregrinos" rate. They had a sheet printed up with the "special" rates. We did all this in one day, returned to Bayonne in time for lunch and then caught the train to SJPdP. Oh, and I'm very jealous of your trip to Croatia! I live here in europe and have yet to go! Buen Camino

Just looked at the distance and time from Bayonne to Irun and back, then onto SJPP. Definitely looks doable. We are arriving in Paris on 30 April and have a booking in Orisson on 3 May so we have time. We’ll also send an email to Ivar as a courtesy and confirmation. Thanks very much for this option. One of our friends suggested we leave our bags at Paris airport, but that would then mean going back to Paris before we start our travel trip. We are going on to Croatia from Santiago because my son lives there. Having our bags in Santiago saves us a roundabout trip. Thank you
My husband just reminded me to tell you to ask for the "peregrinos" rate. They had a sheet printed up with the "special" rates. We did all this in one day, returned to Bayonne in time for lunch and then caught the train to SJPdP. Oh, and I'm very jealous of your trip to Croatia! I live here in europe and have yet to go! Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much. I’ve seen such beautiful photos of the country. And thank you for the advice and tips for the trains and baggage

I am not sure if roncesvalles has a Correos. Does anyone know where the first Correos is on the Frances?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you everyone for such a great response. I know this question has been asked so many times before. Having said that, it makes this short waiting time so real. And I’m starting to think the prep time is going too fast! How silly is that when others can’t wait!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Because of issues with my back on the CF last September, I bought a small, carry-on size suitcase in Pamplona and had it shipped daily to the next albergue. I then carried my backpack which was very light containing only my supplies for the day. Worked like a charm and the transport service was a godsend for me!
Did you stay at hotels or albergues?

Hope this helps.
Have you had experience with Eurosender delivery service? Someone on another post had used them to pick up a package in Portugal and deliver it to Ivar in Santiago. I checked out their web page and it looks like a good deal. Any thoughts or info? thanks so much.
Andrea

There's another option - bring to Europe only what you will carry on the walk. Once you get to Santiago - go shopping if you want some new/ more clothes. You going to a lot of trouble to mail some used clothing to yourself.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's another option - bring to Europe only what you will carry on the walk. Once you get to Santiago - go shopping if you want some new/ more clothes. You going to a lot of trouble to mail some used clothing to yourself.

Exellent advice! Some nice shops ( especially shoes ) to find in Santiago!

Exellent advice! Some nice shops ( especially shoes ) to find in Santiago!

Oh that’s sounds very promising! Shoes are what I struggle with sometimes! I do have one question re clothing - is it worth bring swimming gear? Any swimming pools on the way?

If cost is a problem, consider using a luggage transfer service to ship it from St Jean to pre-arranged accommodation in Pamplona. Ensure they will expect it and hold it safely for you. On arrival in Pamps ship it on to Ivar using Correos.
Regards and good travelling
Gerard

I had not heard of Eurosender, but will check them out. Thank you for the lead.

Also, buying stuff as you go is an excellent idea. In my experience there are only three pitfalls to this approach:
  1. Everything in Europe costs more...sometimes a lot more. The 21% VAT does make a difference.
  2. I am a rather 'large' fellow. Finding clothing to fit is a problem. Once I upsize to account for the Spanish mens' sizes running about two sizes small (in tops) most shops simply do not carry stock.
  3. If I accumulate stuff, when I get to Santiago, I have two choices, donate or schelp. If I choose the latter, I must find a cheap duffle bag to either check or carry on for my return journey.
So, I bring what I must and ship "my personalized items" ahead. The end result is likely pretty much the same, but at least I know the sizes, colors and styles are of my choosing and not simply whatever I could find to cover my nakedness o_Oo_Oo_O

Hope this helps.

FYI, all, here is the URL for Eurosender.com (in English):

https://www.eurosender.com/en/

I have no experience with this firm. If anyone does, please share with us.

The issue is reliable, prompt, direct shipment of items across EU national borders, presumably to be at Santiago when you arrive. Alternatively, sending direct to your home.

Consider that the national post systems in all EU countries still operate like individual pipes on a church organ. So, shipping from one country to the next is sometimes problematic. Here in the forum, we continue to search for the "silver bullet" solution...

Within Spain, between two Spanish addresses, the best solution continues to be the Correos (Spanish postal system). They are reliable, inexpensive and secure. Shipping to the destination Correos office, Ivar for storage, or to your reserved accommodation (with their advance permission) are tried and true methods.

Hope this helps.

In my situation, I will spend several days in Lisbon prior to walking. I will spend another 10 days touring Spain and Portugal before returning home. My budget does not allow buying new clothes. Hence. my plan to ship/mail/send my touring clothes to Ivar to hold until I arrive in Santiago. Or, if you agree, I could send the bill for new clothes to you. Yes? ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
FYI, all, here is the URL for Eurosender.com (in English):

https://www.eurosender.com/en/

I have no experience with this firm. If anyone does, please share with us.

The issue is reliable, prompt, direct shipment of items across EU national borders, presumably to be at Santiago when you arrive. Alternatively, sending direct to your home.

Consider that the national post systems in all EU countries still operate like individual pipes on a church organ. So, shipping from one country to the next is sometimes problematic. Here in the forum, we continue to search for the "silver bullet" solution...

Within Spain, between two Spanish addresses, the best solution continues to be the Correos (Spanish postal system). They are reliable, inexpensive and secure. Shipping to the destination Correos office, Ivar for storage, or to your reserved accommodation (with their advance permission) are tried and true methods.

Hope this helps.
Thanks t2andreo :) I'm comparing costs between CTT and Eurosender now.

Oh that’s sounds very promising! Shoes are what I struggle with sometimes! I do have one question re clothing - is it worth bring swimming gear? Any swimming pools on the way?

Hi yes there are swimming pools on the Frances. Some even on the albergue grounds.
I never bring swimming gear though.

I really wouldn't want to send my time in Santiago shopping for clothes and especially shoes, since I have a hard time finding shoes that fit me at home! So, for me, it's easier to mail a suitcase with post Camino things - including a hair dryer - to Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really wouldn't want to send my time in Santiago shopping for clothes and especially shoes, since I have a hard time finding shoes that fit me at home! So, for me, it's easier to mail a suitcase with post Camino things - including a hair dryer - to Santiago.

I understand you...but I really make an exception for the Spanish brand Camper....
Oh the joy wearing them!

My only advice, deep into a current Camino, is that less is more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my situation, I will spend several days in Lisbon prior to walking. I will spend another 10 days touring Spain and Portugal before returning home. My budget does not allow buying new clothes. Hence. my plan to ship/mail/send my touring clothes to Ivar to hold until I arrive in Santiago. Or, if you agree, I could send the bill for new clothes to you. Yes? ;)

Well if its going to cost what Euro50 to ship stuff - I'd use that to buy clothes - I'd expect that you need what - a skirt and a couple of new tops? Maybe some underwear. That's what I plan to spend on arrival in Santiago - we'd be in summer by then so I'm not looking for winter layers!

Hi Lissie - a good substitute for swimmers which I've picked up as an excellent tip from ladies here on the Forum is to have a black t shirt or sports singlet top and a pair of black boy shorts. They look perky but they're also modest. These items can be worn each night as your pyjamas, for layering up in cold conditions and also as swimmers.

Bring a sarong - heaps of uses for a sarong - use as a wrap when exiting the bathroom after your shower, also as a privacy screen around your bottom bunk in crowded albergue dorms, and also to drape over your arms on hot days - they're so cool and light - a Camino essential. Wet the sarong at a fountain and you'll be so refreshed and cool for ages afterwards. Ditto with your sun hat.

There are two lovely swimming pools I know about on the Camino - the first one is at Santiago Apostol on the far edge of town at Puente la Reina (excellent pilgrim menu there) and at En El Camino at Boadilla on the Meseta (lovely albergue and excellent meals).

Buen Camino - take joy in every step and I hope that you're able to go swimming.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Last edited:
Hi yes there are swimming pools on the Frances. Some even on the albergue grounds.
I never bring swimming gear though.
So is swimming without it acceptable? My swimsuit can double as underwear/top anyways (tankini)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lissie - a good substitute for swimmers which I've picked up as an excellent tip from ladies here on the Forum is to have a black t shirt or sports singlet top and a pair of black boy shorts. They look perky but they're also modest. These items can be worn each night as your pyjamas, for layering up in cold conditions and also as swimmers.
Bring a sarong - heaps of uses for a sarong - use as a wrap when exiting the bathroom after your shower, also as a privacy screen around your bottom bunk in crowded albergue dorms, and also to drape over your arms on hot days - they're so cool and light - a Camino essential.
There are two lovely swimming pools I know about on the Camino - the first one is at Santiago Apostol on the far edge of town at Puente la Reina (excellent pilgrim menu there) and at En El Camino at Boadilla on the Meseta (lovely albergue and excellent meals).
Buen Camino - take joy in every step and I hope that you're able to go swimming.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
This is awesome news - I will make sure we include these 2 stops! My tankini has boyleg bottoms which double as underwear and the top is what I use with a skirt for dress up evenings anyways! Yes I usually have a black one - so no one realizes . My partners swimmers double as shorts - we do that on every trip we like to travel light

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back